test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If we get to have a Halloween Event next year....

captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
Considering how close it'd be to the Winter Event, I wouldn't bet on it, but if we do....

I hope the Fek'lhri award ships get transferred to the Halloween Event. While it's nice to have a new set of ships available for the Winter Event, I can't see another kind of ship that would be more appropriate (scare-wise) than a ship that belches fire and smoke.

Considering The Twillight Zone's a CBS show, any chance of at least having some nods to classic The Twillight Zone TV episodes?

I'd like to see the computer generated Fear Clown from Voyager make an appearance (whether as a host, or a threat, it doesn't matter, maybe both?).

I miss the old door-to-door aspect of City of Heroes' Trick-or-Treat system. Maybe a holodeck simulation of 21st town that could fit the bill, with STO creatures popping out of doors (such as the flying parasites from TOS, Mugatos, etc). To be honest, it would be nice non-tradeable Lockbox keys would be the top treat (rare enough that doesn't TRIBBLE up the Exchange thing, but common enough not to cause people who don't have the lobes for trading/exchanging to tear their hair out trying to work off their lockbox collection).

Smoke machine type fog would make a great ground cover. Maybe with an occasional eyestalk popping up....
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Neverwinter has a Halloween event I am surprised sto has never done one if they did it would be awesome
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    We would have to have a scene in a ship were you look out the window of a smaller ship and see something on the hull, spending the rest of the mission seeing it outside of windows but unable to convince anyone it's out there.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,240 Community Moderator
    ^Nice Star Trek/Twilight Zone reference. :mrgreen:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    We would have to have a scene in a ship were you look out the window of a smaller ship and see something on the hull, spending the rest of the mission seeing it outside of windows but unable to convince anyone it's out there.

I was thinking of that William Shatner episode too :smiley:
    ^Nice Star Trek/Twilight Zone reference. :mrgreen:

Thank you :) I think The Twillight Zone opened the doors to Star Trek with it's use of horror/sci-fi to show stories that wasn't really allowed back in the '50s/'60s.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, in yesteryear those stories were not allowed as they were in the Television equivalent of the FCT (Forbidden Community Topics). :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User

Oh, that's just species 8472. Captain Janeway domesticated them years ago.

They like to go for a stroll on the out hull now and then.
    941792a16d12ece32ddc61aa36ce6616.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »

Oh, that's just species 8472. Captain Janeway domesticated them years ago.

They like to go for a stroll on the out hull now and then.
    Borg, too. But if they make a mess on your deflector dish you have to clean it yourself.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,240 Community Moderator
    I highly doubt that the proposed Halloween Event will award a ship. I'll be surprised if it does.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    They will probably have costumes of sorts.
    They will probably have that 'Catspaw' related Episode for next Holloween. I mean they were shooting for this year so they should surely be able to make next. Really, with emphasis on Featured TFOs, no need to do seperate Romulan and Jem'Hader ships in any quantity, not providing themed Bridges for ship releases (like Vorgon, Xindi, etc.) they should surely have the time. :)

Perhaps, in keeping with the current paradigm, maybe a Holloween themed TFO instead? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    How about a tfo where the team explores into a mysterious derelict ship. The group starts together but one by one each player disappears into a different area and they have to fight their way through to rejoin the others where they encounter the evil force that took over the ship.

Lots of dark deserted corridors for each player and every player goes into one of several seperate and slightly different passages. Put in the random plasma fires, dark voices and screams in the distance, things scurrying about just out of sight in the dark with random attacks by... something.

I think that would be a lot of fun for a Halloween event.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    How about a tfo where the team explores into a mysterious derelict ship. The group starts together but one by one each player disappears into a different area and they have to fight their way through to rejoin the others where they encounter the evil force that took over the ship.

Lots of dark deserted corridors for each player and every player goes into one of several seperate and slightly different passages. Put in the random plasma fires, dark voices and screams in the distance, things scurrying about just out of sight in the dark with random attacks by... something.

Like the mission where you hunt the mutant Hur'q? sounds fun. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Yes, it would.

Unfortunately, Cryptic is not into challenge gameplay, so in the end the map couldn't be all that mysterious or threatening. It would be a fairground haunted house, a linear/guided tour through "spooky" sights and sounds, but no real mystery or puzzle that would need solving. Random attacks by...something that even the newbies can kill. And if the players still took too long to get through it despite the easyness, it would probably skip ahead automatically on a timer.
    warpangel wrote: »
    a linear/guided tour through "spooky" sights and sounds, but no real mystery or puzzle that would need solving.
    Except non-linear map design with puzzles/teamwork elements are what most of the newer TFOs Cryptic has made are based around.

Cryptic has moved AWAY from the linear shoot fests with nothing in them but shooting(all the Borg ground TFOs)
    You can pretend up is down and left is right, but it won't actually make it true.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    I like the trick or treat idea. also would be fun to have a castle where you can be chased by a big cat
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    I like the trick or treat idea. also would be fun to have a castle where you can be chased by a big cat

tenor.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited November 2019
    I highly doubt that the proposed Halloween Event will award a ship. I'll be surprised if it does.

Pets instead then. :)

Might be best to have two versions of them, 'scary' and 'cute'... Like Mogwai and his offsprings from The Gremlins.

Edited: Fixed name of fuzzy creature. Thank you, paulbowman :blush:
    Post edited by captaincelestial on

Open a door, and see a large cat's eye looking at you and every now and then, a large paw reaches out towards the characters ;)
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yeah, in yesteryear those stories were not allowed as they were in the Television equivalent of the FCT (Forbidden Community Topics). :)

People were afraid of the influence of Television back then, for sure.

Such as parents being seen sharing the same bed (Lucy and Ricky of 'I Love Lucy' fame were only allowed to put their beds together in the lead up to her ever increasingly apparent real-life pregnancy), or someone saying/singing 'fire' on live television (The Doors were supposed to edit the song "Light My Fire" on The Ed Sullivan Show, but they went ahead and played the original lyrics anyways and were banned from future dates on the show).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdtds3v1j8

An idea for a Halloween pet: An Interphased Captain Kirk (zero collision, transparent, reduced scale so to reduce confusion with NPCs and to make it closer to being a pet).
    It was the 'get much higher' that threw Ed into a tizzy.

If a man and a woman were sitting on a bed, both had to have their feet on the floor.

Ah, those were the days. We didn't let no hard-core Commie b*stard mess with our precious bodily fluids. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    Just watching wil
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdtds3v1j8

An idea for a Halloween pet: An Interphased Captain Kirk (zero collision, transparent, reduced scale so to reduce confusion with NPCs and to make it closer to being a pet).

Just watching William Shatner Ham it up in that blue floating space suit is horror enough for anyone!
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited November 2019

This sound so cool! I'd like to play something like this.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Cryptic is not into challenge gameplay, so in the end the map couldn't be all that mysterious or threatening. It would be a fairground haunted house, a linear/guided tour through "spooky" sights and sounds, but no real mystery or puzzle that would need solving. Random attacks by...something that even the newbies can kill. And if the players still took too long to get through it despite the easyness, it would probably skip ahead automatically on a timer.
    Will you please stop making sense?! I HATE agreeing with you!normal-47.gif​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    ltminns wrote: »
    It was the 'get much higher' that threw Ed into a tizzy.

If a man and a woman were sitting on a bed, both had to have their feet on the floor.

Ah, those were the days. We didn't let no hard-core Commie b*stard mess with our precious bodily fluids. ;)

Poor impressionable kiddies!

Then again, people freaked out over a radio play about 'The War of the Worlds'..., and people nowadays believe everything that's on the internet.... We've come full circle ;)

With some tweaking, the derelict/damaged/assimilated ship maps/assets could modified further to give them a spookier look (these modified maps could be repurposed later on for future missions).

Such as having a derelict Romulan ship, with dead and rotting vegetation in the mini-gardens, or having a corridor that's been broken into sections from a past battle (a wreck from the Iconian War, for example) that a player has to try to traverse from one end while being chased by left over boarders/invaders (Borg, Iconian minions, etc.)

Maybe it's scavengers or escapees from Facility 4028 were using ship systems to try to scare off the characters (such as using holograms, closing/opening random doors, bulkheads and forcefields, turning off the lights or artificial gravity, etc.). For a switch from the regular 'defeat X/clear map' missions. "We would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those dang nosey Trick-or-Treaters!"

A possible Trick would be actually have something hunting down the scavenger/escapees and players, for a random free-for-all.
    With "The Renegade's Regret" and "Quark's Lucky Seven", we were able to play as NPCs.

So how about a PvE (and possibly a PvP version outside of the Halloween Event) where we get to play NPCs/monsters that are normally what we go against as players? It'll be a turn of the table, where it's the players (as Borg, Undine, and others) against NPC Star Fleet, Klingon Warriors, etc.

For the PvP version, there could be two teams of randomly chosen 'monsters' (i.e. on team Borg, the other Fehl'kri, for example) with a PvE element of 'hero' faction NPCs fighting both sides.

We could call it "Monster Mash" (I believe the name is now in public domain, so it should, theoretically be available to use) for the PvE version, and "Monster Mash Mayhem" for the multi-team PvP version.
  • paulbowmanpaulbowman Member Posts: 35 Arc User

Might be best to have two versions of them, 'scary' and 'cute'... Like Mowgli and his offspring from The Gremlins.

You want the little boy from the Jungle Book? lol. I think you mean Mogwai.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Then again, people freaked out over a radio play about 'The War of the Worlds'..., and people nowadays believe everything that's on the internet.... We've come full circle ;)
    That was solely because most people simply heard a guy talking about stuff on the radio that sounded bad. People had no way to know what it was. How do you mark a radio broadcast as a work of fiction?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    paulbowman wrote: »

Might be best to have two versions of them, 'scary' and 'cute'... Like Mowgli and his offspring from The Gremlins.

You want the little boy from the Jungle Book? lol. I think you mean Mogwai.

I think he means Gizmo.

Anyways... ANYTHING would be better than Hearts and Minds. Its just not Halloween feeling honestly. Hell... we've got at least one story mission in the Gamma Quadrant arc that feels FAR more like a horror scenario than Hearts and Minds. The one with the mutant Hur'q. You've got this creature hunting you, and it picks off some of the redshirts one by one right in front of you! That is freaky, and perfect for Halloween. Hearts and Minds... not so much.

Maybe we can have something like a Ghost Ship mission. There was an episode of seaQuest that tackled that subject, and seeing how even modern/near future sailors still have some superstitions regarding ghost ships. Would be kinda cool to see how Starfleet and its allies handle a Ghost Ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.