test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you miss from the early days of STO?

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I miss beaming into ESD in my ship...I miss the old ESD....I miss running into the Third Borg Dynasty i miss saving Sisko from a borgified Jem Hadar from the future I miss sitting in the Omega fleet talking smack
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    jcsww wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The pre-season 9 ESD interior. I miss when it looked like this:
    EarthSpacedockFromMap.png?version=f24a4c68089bc3704a8c098330a4cacc

I mean, the ESD map we have now is of far better quality, no doubt but I do miss running around that old map.

Sadly, with the Foundry gone the only way to visit that map is 'Surface Tension' where we see the wrecked remains of that actual interior, or one or two maps (Starbase 39 Sierra for example) that shared some common interior aspects.

I didn't mind the old map but the newer map is definitely nicer. They could have repurposed the old map as another station some where though.

Absolutely - no argument from me here.

However, with the thread pertaining to the 10th Anniversary in mind, I simply think it'd be nice if we could visit that old map again as a one-off.

I would also like the Utopia Planitia map brought back as well, even though it isn't really from the early days. It was a very nice and unique map.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    See, I can up my Post count without insulting other Posters. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I miss being thrust into the adventure right away that the original tutorial/start point that the Federation had.

The current star point at the Star Fleet Academy is too bland right now, esp. when it's been repeated for UFP and Disco players.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Terradome was such a cool map. But yea I can understand the frustration of some players around here. It was yet another of those maps that did not exactly concluded on its own. ;)
    Really? so what was your strategy for protecting the engineers at the start? I'm assuming you actually used one since you claim to have liked it.
    I’m not falling for it this time dude but I’m sure you are doing your part in game… somewhere. :)
    I'm genuinely curious what strategy you found to be a viable tactic for holding off a small army of enemies that respawn immediately when killed and spam AoEs.

You wanna act like it's "easy as long as you know what you're doing", ok. Ok, explain how, and don't give me empty fluff like "use teamwork". I wanna hear what you did that actually worked.
    No idea how Peterconnorfirst did it but for myself my main as an engineer used Mortars and Turrets. Others used drone builds and mines among other methods. The only bit I remember being a pain was finding the coin flip. Killing the Undine was rarely a problem in a decent pre made group. (EDIT: main weapon at the time for me was the MACO pusewave rifle with the grenade launcher secondary fire)

As for protecting the Engineer cover shields and shield domes I think it was. There was a method in splitting the group between sections but I cannot remember the precise details.
    When I did it killing the Undine wasn't really the problem. But I probably played the bugged version, since they'd literally respawn immediately when killed. I wasn't in any real danger, but that wasn't really the problem.

May or may not have been a good thing that I played it as a Science officer. I went with Sci because I heard there was a unique science kit you could get. Obviously if I had gotten one it'd be useless junk now. But at the time it was the only kit that had both NHM and an offensive ability(Tachyon Harmonic).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Terradome was such a cool map. But yea I can understand the frustration of some players around here. It was yet another of those maps that did not exactly concluded on its own. ;)
    Really? so what was your strategy for protecting the engineers at the start? I'm assuming you actually used one since you claim to have liked it.
    I’m not falling for it this time dude but I’m sure you are doing your part in game… somewhere. :)
    I'm genuinely curious what strategy you found to be a viable tactic for holding off a small army of enemies that respawn immediately when killed and spam AoEs.

You wanna act like it's "easy as long as you know what you're doing", ok. Ok, explain how, and don't give me empty fluff like "use teamwork". I wanna hear what you did that actually worked.
    No idea how Peterconnorfirst did it but for myself my main as an engineer used Mortars and Turrets. Others used drone builds and mines among other methods. The only bit I remember being a pain was finding the coin flip. Killing the Undine was rarely a problem in a decent pre made group. (EDIT: main weapon at the time for me was the MACO pusewave rifle with the grenade launcher secondary fire)

As for protecting the Engineer cover shields and shield domes I think it was. There was a method in splitting the group between sections but I cannot remember the precise details.
    When I did it killing the Undine wasn't really the problem. But I probably played the bugged version, since they'd literally respawn immediately when killed. I wasn't in any real danger, but that wasn't really the problem.

May or may not have been a good thing that I played it as a Science officer. I went with Sci because I heard there was a unique science kit you could get. Obviously if I had gotten one it'd be useless junk now. But at the time it was the only kit that had both NHM and an offensive ability(Tachyon Harmonic).

That kit dropped in Cure ground as I recall. I don't know if it also dropped in Terradome. It was definitely the best science kit back then.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2019

That kit dropped in Cure ground as I recall. I don't know if it also dropped in Terradome. It was definitely the best science kit back then.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Science_Kit_-_Borg_Medical_Analyzer

Eventhough I can not use it anymore I did not get myself to delete it. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated

It turns into a kitframe, which is sad. You can still technically use it but it lacks what made it great back in the day.
    edited November 2019

It turns into a kitframe, which is sad. You can still technically use it but it lacks what made it great back in the day.

Oh I give it a try later. :)

I remeber back at the day it was like the #1 thing for scis. When I look at the powers now I seem to have forgotten as to why even in light of all those heals. Gameplay must have been drastically different. :/
    animated.gif
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

I remeber back at the day it was like the #1 thing for scis. When I look at the powers now I seem to have forgotten as to why even in light of all those heals. Gameplay must have been drastically different. :/

Sci captains were tanks in most of the Borg STFs I did. Soloing Becky while the rest waited patiently at the door is something I had to do a few times, and that kit definitely helped. It also zapped shields in an era where massive DPS on the ground didn't quite exist to do that for you and there were no tommyguns or shotguns or shield ignoring weapons beyond melee which against borg probably got you assimilated.

Sci captains were tanks in most of the Borg STFs I did. Soloing Becky while the rest waited patiently at the door is something I had to do a few times, and that kit definitely helped. It also zapped shields in an era where massive DPS on the ground didn't quite exist to do that for you and there were no tommyguns or shotguns or shield ignoring weapons beyond melee which against borg probably got you assimilated.

Yea. Think having a melee tank for Armek was good way for a team to beat him as well. There is defo more to miss from those day than I remeber. :)
    animated.gif
  • alzleealzlee Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yea. Think having a melee tank for Armek was good way for a team to beat him as well. There is defo more to miss from those day than I remeber. :)

Those were the days i valued the most in sto i too learned to do it againSt armek with you in many different ways it was the challenge and the group effort that made it worthwhile now armek,ogden,manus pop like a balloon in seconds and yet iga,cga,kga gets removed despite being so easy compared to what it was? All the teamplay stuff getting removed lately might as well let ppl solo or 3man queue n do it by themselves

Also classic mirror invasion never needed tweaked nor the original NWS. Heck i even niss the terror dome and speaking of current maru mvent if ship is disabled lost all power and crew how does it even fly around?
    > @foxrockssocks said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That kit dropped in Cure ground as I recall. I don't know if it also dropped in Terradome. It was definitely the best science kit back then.

Said kit was the Borg Medical Analyzer i reckon
    alzlee wrote: »
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yea. Think having a melee tank for Armek was good way for a team to beat him as well. There is defo more to miss from those day than I remeber. :)

Those were the days i valued the most in sto i too learned to do it againSt armek with you in many different ways it was the challenge and the group effort that made it worthwhile now armek,ogden,manus pop like a balloon in seconds and yet iga,cga,kga gets removed despite being so easy compared to what it was? All the teamplay stuff getting removed lately might as well let ppl solo or 3man queue n do it by themselves

Also classic mirror invasion never needed tweaked nor the original NWS. Heck i even niss the terror dome and speaking of current maru mvent if ship is disabled lost all power and crew how does it even fly around?

Was best of times Lee. :)
    animated.gif
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    It was because the way kits were designed. The best healing skills were on frames that didn't have offensive skills.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Of course, when I think back on the old days, I remember the days of plotting a course from one star to another with the goal of crossing as few sector boundaries as possible, because of the endless parade of loading screens - Q help you if you clipped the corner of one sector, and got two of them in a row! Oh, and the fun of walking almost halfway around the circle of ESD trying to reach a specific place, only to find myself rubberbanding right back to the transporter platform. Wasn't that one fun? And frequent? And let's never forget the joy of celebrating having an entire hour go by without an SNR! Oh, and starting a Klingon at level 1, then having to PvP up to 20 because they didn't have any missions before then.

Man, those were the days, huh?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mspfuelermspfueler Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    The Original Crystalline Catastrophe. Easy to accomplish with a group of Fleet Mates that knew what they were doing.

And the humor of vets chat yelling and screaming at new players trying to explain how to win. The current one is so vanilla.
    Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

alzlee wrote: »
    > (Quote)
    >

Was best of times Lee. :)

The golden days bro
  • starshoalstarshoal Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I miss having to worry about my crew during battle. I miss the Borg actually being scary. I miss some of the original Romulan Mystery missions. I miss actually having DOFFs die on me. I miss the Foundry. I do not miss having to wait until the middle of the night to do Tour the Galaxy.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Old SB24 had space and ground. The instance starts with the regular space combat. Once that's done, players could continue to beam aboard SB24 and clear the Klingons out. You didn't have to do this, it was optional. You could complete space, collect the rewards, and leave if you desired with no problems.

Outside C-Store ships, experimenting with new ships was cheap. Back in those days, the standard ships cost credits, not Dilithium like it does now. I remember getting a bunch of them for 40k EC each for endgame trying different builds and playstyles.

I do miss the animosity Feds and KDF had with each other. FvK PVP was going on, Kerrat was the PVEVP Serengeti of STO, often igniting big fights between the factions. The lines were very clear between the factions, and we didn't like each other. Even the faction ships were very different from each other and not the "merely different faction skins" they are now.
    KDF had the only Carriers, Kar'Fi and Vo'Quv.
    Cloak was a significant tool bag then because of the PVP going on.
    KDF had plenty of "Aces" being terrors in their Birds of Prey.

IMO the Roms kind of ruined it because they were on both factions, so it looked pretty stupid with Romulan ships killing each other while fighting for both KDF & Fed factions. Roms should have been their own, independent faction.

Science's non-damage oriented abilities were more powerful in those days, especially in PVP, because there were no subsystem protection lockouts. Things that disabled Subsystems could go back-to-back. Viral Matrix was a potential killer if you didn't have the counter standing by. VM could disable shields, today it can't. Phaser Proc used to be the BOMB back in the day because of the random subsystem disable. Again, there were no subsytem protection lockouts in those days like these days. So, when you had a team of Feds spamming Phasers at a target, regardless of PVE or PVP, it was a powerful level of synergy as subsystems were constantly, randomly shutting down. Tanking Feds in PVP needed a lot more finesse because of that. Feds would spam Phasers on you, wait for your shields to disable, then slam you with High Yield Torpedoes.

XzRTofz.gif
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I miss Sci when it was powerful, when it could actually compete with tac...before Tac captains started abusing it.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I miss Sci when it was powerful, when it could actually compete with tac...before Tac captains started abusing it.

When Science Captain'd B'rel Bird of Prey's were the main reason to play through the KDF grind that lacked story.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Remember when everything was a nefarious plot engineered by those dastardly Iconians? Whom we never saw or had a chance to counter. Took more than a bit of the wind out of STO's sails when we finally did meet them. I always liked the style of the original Iconian ship which kidnapped Sela. The ones we have ingame now are nice. However they lack that aura of menace the one I am speaking of had.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    mspfueler wrote: »
    The Original Crystalline Catastrophe. Easy to accomplish with a group of Fleet Mates that knew what they were doing.

And the humor of vets chat yelling and screaming at new players trying to explain how to win. The current one is so vanilla.
    The real problem was that most of the people telling you what to do were WRONG. Like "don't use torpedoes, those heal it" um, no.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    There's quite a few old missions I miss. Not having things like Spectres and the Defera storyline being endgame level gated. The remastering of old stuff has been lovely but they get a little bit too slash happy.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Remember when everything was a nefarious plot engineered by those dastardly Iconians? Whom we never saw or had a chance to counter. Took more than a bit of the wind out of STO's sails when we finally did meet them. I always liked the style of the original Iconian ship which kidnapped Sela. The ones we have ingame now are nice. However they lack that aura of menace the one I am speaking of had.

Wu1Ooju.jpg

Beat me to it. I really liked that ship as well. It really would make an engineer or technician, go "how does that thing even work?"

I started in 2014, so I missed most of the stuff the other folks posted. I would have liked to see what the old tutorials and older maps would have been like. I also miss a lot of the older quests that been taken down. I wish the devs could bring those older quests back, for a short time, at least....maybe some retro event thing, perhaps?

I also would like to see that lil green Ferengi 'Yoda' fellow.

Also, if anyone wants to try Nintendo Hard.......play Ghosts and Goblins for the NES. Or the Adventure of Link.
    It's pretty much done, in those days, to give more bang for one's buck, since, back in like 1987, an NES game could cost 40-50....in 1980's $, that was a lot. So you don't want a game you'd breeze through in like a few hours.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Now everything is a nefarious plot by the Developers. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I miss the ability to toggle character armor visuals on/off from the character menu, anywhere at any time.
This discussion has been closed.