test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we get an "Official" Moderator rather than what we have??

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    loucosta wrote: »
    Its also worth pointing out i never named anyone, but interesting to see you all mention the same "mod".

There are only 2 mods here and he's the most active by far. Why would we not assume you were talking about BMR?

You can read whatever meaning you want, but it really was just connecting 2 very obvious dots and in no way indicates anything about the person being discussed.

There are actually 3 moderators: myself, darkbladejk, and wingedhussar.

It's also worth pointing out that no one really mentioned any mod negatively by name until after I outed myself, but in doing so I also indicated that I know why the OP started this thread. Infer what you will. So, the "Ah-ha! Gotcha!" that's implied by the OP's "interesting you all mention the same mod" remark isn't really a "gotcha" when I put myself out there. But seeing how, as of this posting, there's no really scathing comments about me or my compatriots, it leaves me to ponder what supposed "victory" the OP thinks he's made here, especially when the majority of posters seem to contradict his assertions. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    This is a primarily a request for an official presence across the forum pages. Someone to put a FAIR human face to the company. Yes, we have several officials registered but when was the last time you see them answer a question directly here? or address a problem??
    You'd think with all the money pouring in to the coffers from the game that we could afford a full-time official mod on the forums. The current one seems rather obsessed with silencing the voices of discontent and ignoring those that flout the rules in almost every post. Seems to me someone has a power overload on their primary ego coils, its that or they feel they are above everyone else and only their opinion counts.......or at worst they are allowing some of the goings on because they are buddies with some of the trolls.
    Go on, edit or your normal way, delete this post and silence the voice. There are other platforms to post this message some with a lot more coverage, If you wont change i would suggest you let someone else less impartial to deal with the proceedings.
    (No tribble brains were named or harmed in the creation of this post)

Please quit complaining and just deal with it.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I remember seeing wingedhussar as a mod with only one post a while back, I am wondering how people actually apply on arcgames.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I'm a little confused by the OP's comments and thread title.

How does getting paid by Cryptic directly make the Moderators here more, ahem, 'official'?

Just because you pay someone to do something, it does not automatically follow they will perform the task more efficiently or faster. In far too many cases, the opposite is the norm. Customer service at any bank, ISP provider, or Dept of Motor Vehicles anyone?

I suspect the OP thinks by having the Moderators paid by Cryptic, he will somehow gain some sort of indirect control over them by threatening to withhold his custom from Cryptic. As in, "If you guys don't stop the forum mods from being mean to me, I'm not gonna spend that whole five dollars my Gramma gave me for my birthday on STO! That'll show you losers I'm serious!"

I also suspect this thread possibly came about because the OP got his knuckles rapped for doing something which the Terms of Service clearly do not allow. Or, he is filling in for one of his InterWebz buddies who got banned from here.

I'd very much like to be wrong here but I do not think I am.

The Forum Moderators here are not broken. Nor are they lazy, stupid, or incompetent. Therefore, there is no good reason to "fix" them. While I do not agree with everything they post or do, and think all three are just flat wrong sometimes, I also recognize all three are human beings. So they are allowed to make the occasional mistake. Just like all human being everywhere. Perfection is an unattainable goal. No matter how much money you throw at it.

Expecting perfection from others while also expecting them to cut you slack whenever you TRIBBLE up is called a double standard. Which normal people find unreasonable, distasteful and also disrespectful.

There's my two Quatloos on this subject.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    There are three. You forgot wingedhussar#7584
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    > @monodoso said: Please quit complaining and just deal with it.

Whether you agree with someone's complaint or not, this type of reply is essentially trolling. It is obvious most people don't agree with the OP, but everyone else at least managed to give a reasoned reply...except for you.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I'm a little confused by the OP's comments and thread title.

How does getting paid by Cryptic directly make the Moderators here more, ahem, 'official'?

Just because you pay someone to do something, it does not automatically follow they will perform the task more efficiently or faster. In far too many cases, the opposite is the norm. Customer service at any bank, ISP provider, or Dept of Motor Vehicles anyone?

It's definitely true that paying someone does not mean they will do a good job, like the examples you quoted illustrate. But what it does mean is that they at least have the possibility of losing their paycheck if they get fired. No, that doesn't guarantee they will do good; but it's still more of a motivation than someone who has nothing to lose since they aren't getting paid in the first place.

That said, I honestly don't think PW wants to pay people to mod all of their message boards. They probably don't feel there is enough return on investment to justify the cost. So it's better to have volunteer mods than no mods at all.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    edited November 2019
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I remember seeing wingedhussar as a mod with only one post a while back, I am wondering how people actually apply on arcgames.

As I said on the previous page, I created an alt account just for modding. I've actually been active on the board for years on my main account (and still am). In answer to your question, BMR scouted me.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    @azrael605, @loucosta, drop it.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Also as we all know for the history books the minority also has a voice over the majority given time, don't be so quick to dismiss it.

We're talking about a relatively obscure forum, of a niche genre (SciFi). I seriously doubt that the 'history books' will be reading anything that you (or any of us for that matter) will be saying here.

Your sense of grandiosity is quite ridiculous.

As for the mods; I appreciate the work that they do here. If you where around for those those Atari days and 'infraction points' (of which some did not expire and could lead to a permanent ban) you would not be complaining. The mods we have today are far more even handed.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    You see my friend that's the attitude that people have made reference to as "a bit snarky" your own post here comes across to me as flaming, i never claimed a victory or a AH-HA gotcha. You seem to be taking this very personally to me. Also as we all know for the history books the minority also has a voice over the majority given time, don't be so quick to dismiss it.

Let me get this straight: you proceeded to basically insult the entire mod team, though we all know who you were actually talking about (no offense to either @darkbladejk or @wingedhussar#7584 of course, but you guys aren't nearly as active as BMR so don't feel like I'm not taking you into account, ok?), continued on with snark and condescension, even bordering on trolling, and you also feel the need to be an TRIBBLE by commenting about taking things personally?

If I cared even a little about people like you, I'd warn you that people that lives in glass houses should not throw stones (or whatever the exact wording is), but I don't, because you're just trying to create drama for the sake of drama because *someone* deleted one of your posts or closed one of your threads. If there's someone that's taking things personally, here, it's you.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Its also worth pointing out i never named anyone, but interesting to see you all mention the same "mod".

There are only 2 mods here and he's the most active by far. Why would we not assume you were talking about BMR?

You can read whatever meaning you want, but it really was just connecting 2 very obvious dots and in no way indicates anything about the person being discussed.

It's also worth pointing out that no one really mentioned any mod negatively by name until after I outed myself, but in doing so I also indicated that I know why the OP started this thread. Infer what you will. So, the "Ah-ha! Gotcha!" that's implied by the OP's "interesting you all mention the same mod" remark isn't really a "gotcha" when I put myself out there. But seeing how, as of this posting, there's no really scathing comments about me or my compatriots, it leaves me to ponder what supposed "victory" the OP thinks he's made here, especially when the majority of posters seem to contradict his assertions. :smirk:

You see my friend that's the attitude that people have made reference to as "a bit snarky" your own post here comes across to me as flaming, i never claimed a victory or a AH-HA gotcha. You seem to be taking this very personally to me. Also as we all know for the history books the minority also has a voice over the majority given time, don't be so quick to dismiss it.

It's not snark. It's tongue-in-cheek. It's not flaming either. Nor did I say you claimed anything, I said implied. Herein seems to be an identified issue: you're throwing around terms that you clearly don't understand, and your reading comprehension of the English language and using context clues seems mediocre at best. Now, it's possible that English isn't your first language, so I suppose we can forgive the second part, but at least make the attempt at looking at a dictionary before using words that you don't fully understand the meaning of, or at least make sure you're using them in the correct way. Ok, that's snark. :smirk:

Me taking this personally? Son, I couldn't care less. In fact, I find your little internet tantrum rather amusing. You may have not had the guts to name me personally, but we both know this thread is in response to you getting moderated. What blows my mind is that you didn't even receive a warning for it, just an edited post. You're the one taking things personally and going on a rant here about what you perceive as unfair forum moderation. See, I used my judgement, which you call into question, using my understanding of the English language, context, and analytical skills to decide that, although you broke a rule, it didn't rise to a level that I deemed deserving of infraction points. If I didn't use this judgement and handed out warnings every time anyone broke a rule to any degree, then all of you would've been banned by now for points accumulation. See, *I* don't ban anyone. I hand out points that *you* earn yourself through your own actions. If you accumulate too many, you're automatically banned by the system. And trust me, if I did take any of this job personally, some folks would've been banned a long time ago for the harassing, threatening hate mail I receive alone. :smirk:

At any rate, I don't know about this being one for the history books, but it might make an amusing anecdote or footnote. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User

It's not snark. It's tongue-in-cheek. It's not flaming either. Nor did I say you claimed anything, I said implied. Herein seems to be an identified issue: you're throwing around terms that you clearly don't understand, and your reading comprehension of the English language and using context clues seems mediocre at best. Now, it's possible that English isn't your first language, so I suppose we can forgive the second part, but at least make the attempt at looking at a dictionary before using words that you don't fully understand the meaning of, or at least make sure you're using them in the correct way. Ok, that's snark. :smirk:

Me taking this personally? Son, I couldn't care less. In fact, I find your little internet tantrum rather amusing. You may have not had the guts to name me personally, but we both know this thread is in response to you getting moderated. What blows my mind is that you didn't even receive a warning for it, just an edited post. You're the one taking things personally and going on a rant here about what you perceive as unfair forum moderation. See, I used my judgement, which you call into question, using my understanding of the English language, context, and analytical skills to decide that, although you broke a rule, it didn't rise to a level that I deemed deserving of infraction points. If I didn't use this judgement and handed out warnings every time anyone broke a rule to any degree, then all of you would've been banned by now for points accumulation. See, *I* don't ban anyone. I hand out points that *you* earn yourself through your own actions. If you accumulate too many, you're automatically banned by the system. And trust me, if I did take any of this job personally, some folks would've been banned a long time ago for the harassing, threatening hate mail I receive alone. :smirk:

At any rate, I don't know about this being one for the history books, but it might make an amusing anecdote or footnote. :smirk:

I could only imagine some of the mail you receive there Baddmoonrizin. You should get purple heart medals for what i am sure would be some real nasty stuff.

pjxgwS8.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    FYI I’m actually Autistic but my IQ is 147 based on clinical trials
    Is this supposed to be an excuse or explanation? Just wondering because it does not work as either. As a matter of fact I do not get why you contribute this information at all. :|
    Might I suggest you step back, take a breath and go do something else for a while?
    Perhaps that is something you should do? You are either far too intelligent for this place or can't handle it well because of some other reason. Taking a little break around here will surely help you. :smile:
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    And the true face appears!
    How professional are you being right here Mr Mod? And you're one of the faces of moderation?
    It is little wonder you get so many hate mails.
    Let’s dissect your rant.
    1. English is my native language (I'm British)
    2. You criticize my comprehension and or level of education in your reply.....That’s a breach of your own forum rules. (FYI I’m actually Autistic but my IQ is 147 based on clinical trials)
    3. You admit that the whole paragraph was made snarky then have the cheek to add a smirk smiley....(but I’m the bad guy apparently)
    4. Calling someone "Son"....wow really? Bet I have pants that are older than you! It’s really not a standard that should be praised is it?
    5. What do you qualify as a "Rant"? Does it include making personal remarks about someone’s intelligence or comprehension?
    6. "I used my judgement, which you call into question" ..........No I didn't, if you can quote me on that I’ll give you a penny.
    7. "All of you would've been banned by now for point’s accumulation." sounds like a little bit of a god complex there.
    8. "And trust me, if I did take any of this job personally, some folks would've been banned a long time ago for the harassing, threatening hate mail I receive alone. :smirk:" .........Again that smirk, you think that it’s amusing to get these kinds of messages? You feel you are above reproach? Hmmm don't think you'll ever have MY trust.

Might I suggest you step back, take a breath and go do something else for a while? Maybe let one of the other mods continue here in your place? As I said you seem to be taking this as a personal attack while I have never named anyone just the system in place.
    It was your own support network that first spoke your name, not me.
    This now illustrates my whole point on official moderation over what we currently have, I cannot believe PWE would support your attitude and statements working as you are in their name, that may upset you more to hear that but since you claim not to care I doubt it will affect your day.
    Thus speaking of that, I hope you have a good one. x

Is that you Donald? ;)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Hey there, Lou, I'm autistic as well. Doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to everyone - just because your mirror neurons misfire doesn't mean you're incapable of learning to act in a socially-acceptable manner, especially for someone who claims an IQ in the lower genius range. (And as long as we're having an intellectual richard-measuring contest, mine's 163. As I say so often, that and five bucks will get you a venti frappucino at any Starbucks in the land.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.