test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you miss from the early days of STO?

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2019
    Exploration nebulae

the excitement of doffing/finishing chains. Wish they would add more chains all throughout the galaxy.

I've also wished for a few new Duty Officer Chain's!

I'd also love to see several new Diplomacy, Operations, Engineering, Science, Medical and Tactical or Security missions added into the mix at various times; perhaps several more that are Very Rare missions!

The only recent addition I've seen in the last 1-2.5 years was Kobayashi Maru, that sometimes on the odd occasion appears as the Academy. :o

I'd also love a few Starship Bridges updated 'Origin' would be a nice one to see enhanced; I've long wished for Interior's update that allowed more customization for you Captain and Bridge officer's quarters...
    Stuff to deal with exploration. It's Star Trek, and that gets forgotten so much.

I've also long missed that aspect of Star Trek!
    0zxlclk.png
  • charlesdonovancharlesdonovan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Connectivity.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The pre-season 9 ESD interior. I miss when it looked like this:
    EarthSpacedockFromMap.png?version=f24a4c68089bc3704a8c098330a4cacc

I mean, the ESD map we have now is of far better quality, no doubt but I do miss running around that old map.

Sadly, with the Foundry gone the only way to visit that map is 'Surface Tension' where we see the wrecked remains of that actual interior, or one or two maps (Starbase 39 Sierra for example) that shared some common interior aspects.

I didn't mind the old map but the newer map is definitely nicer. They could have repurposed the old map as another station some where though.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

I mean, the ESD map we have now is of far better quality, no doubt but I do miss running around that old map.

Sadly, with the Foundry gone the only way to visit that map is 'Surface Tension' where we see the wrecked remains of that actual interior, or one or two maps (Starbase 39 Sierra for example) that shared some common interior aspects.
    I miss filling up that map up to the ceiling with giant balloons during 3rd anniversary. :D
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 835 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

I miss filling up that map up to the ceiling with giant balloons during 3rd anniversary. :D

Let's not forget the grief, I mean, Cryo Grenades!
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I don't think I've ever seen another MMORPG completely axe content like STO does.

At the risk of opening old wounds... Star Wars Galaxies

Although the Foundry is not really "the early days", I do miss being able to create missions and stories for the community. That was a very unique tool that made STO special. I enjoy the content provided, and it is of good quality, but my bread and butter was the Foundry.
    dZWjlSs.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Terradome, I miss that old STF

That was the DS9 themed one that never really worked from day one.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I was in the open beta and on the last day there was a massive Borg invasion. I remember fighting waves of Borg on ESD. I wish that could happen again.

wern't the cubes piloted by Devs?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @markhawkman said:
    > (Quote)
    > So you want the entire game to be Nintendo-hard and have queues fail just because a new player did the wrong thing? Oh wait, I remember how much most people hated that. MACO gear was only good compared to generic junk gear. In large part because it was tailored to fighting Borg.

Please define "Nintendo Hard" because I have never seen that used as a term, and it is nonsensical as a notion since Nintendo has games of many different difficulties.

All games I have ever played had fail conditions. Their lack here does not mean every other game ever is too hard.

I have characters still using MACO also.
    I mean stuff like the old Mario games where if you mis-time a jump you die and have to restart the level. It's a style of game design where the difficulty comes from mastering the game's controls, and has less to do with strategy and tactics.

The question isn't if fail conditions are good or bad, the question is if a certain style of fail condition is good. "OOps I pushed the wrong button" difficulty level is dumb.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    The old ship console icons and the old galaxy map graphics two of many systems that got revamped to be worse. The suns and flares looked stunning on the old galaxy map while the new map has vastly worse graphics.

As for the icons the original ones where clearer to what we had know. At a quick glance I could tell the difference between a plasma, mine or photon tactical console. Even after all these years I struggle with the revamped icons not being able to tell what's, what without hovering over.

Thinking about it some more the old rep UI was better, same for the old mission queue system UI and team group UI I miss those over the inferior revamped versions we have now.

EDIT: And the missions with Q in. Those where fun, not sure why they got removed.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > (Quote)
    > So you want the entire game to be Nintendo-hard and have queues fail just because a new player did the wrong thing? Oh wait, I remember how much most people hated that. MACO gear was only good compared to generic junk gear. In large part because it was tailored to fighting Borg.

Please define "Nintendo Hard" because I have never seen that used as a term, and it is nonsensical as a notion since Nintendo has games of many different difficulties.

All games I have ever played had fail conditions. Their lack here does not mean every other game ever is too hard.

I have characters still using MACO also.
    I mean stuff like the old Mario games where if you mis-time a jump you die and have to restart the level. It's a style of game design where the difficulty comes from mastering the game's controls, and has less to do with strategy and tactics.
    Platform jumpers generally are about jumping, not strategy.

It worked. It just had to be done right and quick. A couple of my characters have all of the accolades from Terradome. It just wasn't an STF for PUG'ing and players used to normal and advanced difficulties.
    jcsww wrote: »
    It worked. It just had to be done right and quick. A couple of my characters have all of the accolades from Terradome. It just wasn't an STF for PUG'ing and players used to normal and advanced difficulties.
    And by "right" you mean following arcane logic and avoiding invisible event triggers while also following objectives that are functionally invisible.

Also when it got pulled it was legit broken as the Undine respawned as fast as you killed them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Terradome was such a cool map. But yea I can understand the frustration of some players around here. It was yet another of those maps that did not exactly concluded on its own. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    The old hourly event/bonus system.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard

Not sure when I first ran across the term myself, but I know it's been decades.
    (on the other hand, there's plenty of other "common" gaming terms that I've never heard of, so... /shrug)
    Terradome was such a cool map. But yea I can understand the frustration of some players around here. It was yet another of those maps that did not exactly concluded on its own. ;)
    Really? so what was your strategy for protecting the engineers at the start? I'm assuming you actually used one since you claim to have liked it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Reminds me of a line from Spider Robinson's novel Stardance, describing the Earth-orbiting station Skyfac:

"Anywhere you wanted to go would turn out to be all the way around the bend - as, in short order, would you."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited November 2019
    Really? so what was your strategy for protecting the engineers at the start? I'm assuming you actually used one since you claim to have liked it.

I’m not falling for it this time dude but I’m sure you are doing your part in game… somewhere. :)
    animated.gif
    I’m not falling for it this time dude but I’m sure you are doing your part in game… somewhere. :)
    I'm genuinely curious what strategy you found to be a viable tactic for holding off a small army of enemies that respawn immediately when killed and spam AoEs.

You wanna act like it's "easy as long as you know what you're doing", ok. Ok, explain how, and don't give me empty fluff like "use teamwork". I wanna hear what you did that actually worked.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

I'm genuinely curious what strategy you found to be a viable tactic for holding off a small army of enemies that respawn immediately when killed and spam AoEs.

You wanna act like it's "easy as long as you know what you're doing", ok. Ok, explain how, and don't give me empty fluff like "use teamwork". I wanna hear what you did that actually worked.

Considering how little I care about you finding aspects of this game too difficult I must confess that I find it puzzling why you care so much about why I do not. Whatever, I think I can live with that puzzle till next time Kael gets content removed to make STO more manageable for you. ;)
    animated.gif
    edited November 2019
    And by "right" you mean following arcane logic and avoiding invisible event triggers while also following objectives that are functionally invisible.

Also when it got pulled it was legit broken as the Undine respawned as fast as you killed them.

It actually wasn't broken until they messed with it. The trigger for the spawn I only ever experienced once that I can remember.

SPAM!!! Engineer's with drones and turrets are very helpful! :D Mines are good too.

Edit: WOW! That quote bug...
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Not having Special Event after Special Event on top of Special Event. With another Special Event soon to follow. Also, I miss Encrypted Data Chips. The earning of which meant I had actually played this game. Instead of showing up and waiting out a timer.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    There are quite a few things from Star Trek Online, which have been removed and that I do miss...

Memory Alpha, because it was such a fun place to visit.

There was an STF, where you fought through an armada of ships, to reach some huge X's above a planet.

Mine Trap, which was without a doubt, my favourite STF.

Starbase 24, which was incredible for levelling.

I know the removed episodes like the "Lost Dominion" Arc are still available in the "Available" section, but I don't understand why they're not part of the episode tree (and that unless you know to look for them, you won't find them).

...what do you miss?

I would like a version of mine trap and terradome.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited November 2019

No idea how Peterconnorfirst did it but for myself my main as an engineer used Mortars and Turrets. Others used drone builds and mines among other methods. The only bit I remember being a pain was finding the coin flip. Killing the Undine was rarely a problem in a decent pre made group. (EDIT: main weapon at the time for me was the MACO pusewave rifle with the grenade launcher secondary fire)

As for protecting the Engineer cover shields and shield domes I think it was. There was a method in splitting the group between sections but I cannot remember the precise details.
    Considering how little I care about you finding aspects of this game too difficult I must confess that I find it puzzling why you care so much about why I do not. Whatever, I think I can live with that puzzle till next time Kael gets content removed to make STO more manageable for you. ;)
    In other words, you don't remember how to play Terradome.

It actually wasn't broken until they messed with it. The trigger for the spawn I only ever experienced once that I can remember.
    Yeah I don't really get that. I know it was something that people HAD successfully completed, it's just that finding a team that wanted to do it was stupidly hard, and I don't think I managed to do it until it'd been announced they were gonna pull it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2019
    In other words, you don't remember how to play Terradome.

Oh I remember it rather well.

If you need to put words in my mouth to make you feel a better player don’t let me stop you. I for my part am just too glad that I don’t need to do such stuff myself just to accept what I could and could not do in game 6 years ago. :)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
This discussion has been closed.