test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fan Fic question for Federation Klingon MCs

renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
How do you explain a Klingon in Starfleet during the Klingon war? In other words, what's your basic background, without going too deep into details that might give away more than you want.

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Commander Roclak, first officer (and science officer) of the USS Mixalot, was discommendated and expelled from the Klingon Empire during the buildup to the most recent war with the Federation, officially for displaying cowardice in the face of the enemy (that was B'vat's story, anyway), but actually for being a member of a moderately influential House who repeatedly and publicly spoke in favor of actually sharing all their information on the qa'meH quv with the Feds instead of simply arrogantly insisting the Empire should be implicitly believed in all things.

As of the end of the Iconian crisis, he was still persona non grata on Qo'noS.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Really? I had no idea. Must have been a small part of the movie. Do you know what planet, or planets they might have settled on?
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @renata666 said:
    > How do you explain a Klingon in Starfleet during the Klingon war? In other words, what's your basic background, without going too deep into details that might give away more than you want.

There is a Klingon population in the Federation. Has been since TUC. So no explaination needed for a Federation citizen to join Starfleet.

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Not every Klingon is a citizen of the Klingon empire. It's not hard to believe that there are Klingons that simply live in the UFP, especially considering the powers have been close allies for a long time prior to STOs story.

For my characters I created a colony world which was the result of a joint venture between a minor Klingon house and Humans from a background built on a nordic-native american inspired background (something like the Picts in the Conan universe, a blend of folklore from different parts of the world). By STOs time, two brothers chose how to deal in the Klingon's best interest in wake of the upcoming war. One stayed in the Federation, honoring the century of co-operation and joined Starfleet, believing the chancellor made a mistake. And the other took ships and resources back to the Empire. Both believe they act in their houses' and the empires' best interest.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    In my head canon anyone can migrate to the federation regardless if they are Klingon, Romulan or Cardassian.
    I liken the Federation to the US. The US can be at war in Iraq and have Iraqi-Americans serving in its armed forces.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Thank you everyone. This has given me more ideas than just discommendation.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    According to TAS some of the neutral zone colonies with Klingons opted to join the Federation, that could be the origin for some of the Klingons in the Federation as well.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    The Klingon Empire is something like 600 years older than the Federation, and it's expanded and contracted with its fortunes over time. It's not hard to imagine Klingon or partly-Klingon planets independent of the Empire ending up in the Federation as it expanded.

Also, the border passes pretty close to Qo'noS and has been disputed for decades (which J'mpok used as a pretext to attack the Federation in the backstory).
    00138c04702c1d20e07b74f210e14f55.jpg
    Star Charts by Geoffrey Mandel
    latest?cb=20180225083357&path-prefix=en
    Star Trek: Discovery

So yeah, there's probably millions of Klingons who are native-born Federation citizens; I've written several. One of the planets I commonly use as a Klingon-inhabited Federation world is Ajilon Prime.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/