test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you miss from the early days of STO?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
There are quite a few things from Star Trek Online, which have been removed and that I do miss...

Memory Alpha, because it was such a fun place to visit.

There was an STF, where you fought through an armada of ships, to reach some huge X's above a planet.

Mine Trap, which was without a doubt, my favourite STF.

Starbase 24, which was incredible for levelling.

I know the removed episodes like the "Lost Dominion" Arc are still available in the "Available" section, but I don't understand why they're not part of the episode tree (and that unless you know to look for them, you won't find them).

...what do you miss?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    Terradome, I miss that old STF
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    SB24 and the space/ground parts of the mission.

Far more stable servers where just moving a few steps didn't rubberband me back to my start point

Elite Borg STF's for Cure/Infected and Khitomer

maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I can only echo what @foxman00 and @ussvaliant said (Terradome, Elite mode of the classic Borg STF) and ad No Win Scenario to the list.

From a gameplay perspective only Arena of Sompek managed partially to grand a similar exciting and entertaining experience. The Cryptic developers who designed this old content have my respect and gratitude. Too bad they are long gone.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Challenge
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    The Typhoon Class
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Exploration clusters, Terradome, fleet actions, dev communication, and honestly most everything they removed over the years. Foundry too, but that isn't early years stuff. The ability to finish Alpha quadrant DOFF chains.

I don't think I've ever seen another MMORPG completely axe content like STO does.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Exploration nebulae

the excitement of doffing/finishing chains. Wish they would add more chains all throughout the galaxy.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I miss the old fluidic space effect. Apparently it made some people sick, though.

I miss the slower paced PvP that didn't have as hefty gear requirements. That was fun. Still challenging enough to get into it without worrying about gear.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    The biggest thing that I miss is Starbase 24, especially SOLO Starbase 24. Besides that? I miss the days when I was new and I hadn't done everything in STO and it felt like there was a ton of new places to explore and missions to try out. Unfortunately, that's a feeling that you can never get back.
    kayajay wrote: »
    Memory Alpha, because it was such a fun place to visit.

Honestly? There was nothing to do at Memory Alpha. You could finish all of the crafting that the game ever had to offer in less than 5 minutes simply by buying all the crafting materials off the exchange.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Exploration clusters, the old skill system, more stable servers and builds being more diverse/varied power creep has made this game all about DPS and thats not trek and not fun I really wish they stuck with the trinity system and balanced the game around that instead of around DPS as that would of opened up the activities to more mechanics but due to DPS being the focus everything they make has to be balanced around that instead of team work (this is also the reason pvp will always be a waste of time in STO)
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Other things I miss...

Earth not being crammed right next to the border of the Alpha Quadrant, because it brings up the "Do you want to travel" message. And actually, the Quadrants all being part of one map.

Absolutely the Elite STF's. Right now you're either playing with people who shred the game in 30-seconds flat and you don't get to do anything, or no one knows what to do and quit.

The scheduled events though...you always guaranteed being able to play a game, which these days is just dead on the queues.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The thirty day Featured Episode Rerun giving out 15 Lobi a day, once per Account.

Bonus Marks Weekend applying to Daily Reputation Mark Boxes and Tier V Reputation Mark Awards.

Bonus Dilitium Weekend applying to Tier V Reputation Dilitium Awards, Reputation Marks or Elite Marks conversion to Dilitium.

Banking of overflow Spec Points for at least the Federation Admiralty 10 of 10 Tour of Duty Spec Point Rewards instead of a lousy 5,760 Dilitium.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • manwholaughsmanwholaughs Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I miss:

- A more stable server system.

- Deep Space Nine Interior that ran at a playable framerate.

- No promo pack exclusive ships.

- No lock box system.

- Bridge interiors that weren't bugged.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Ship cosmetic frippery like fins without having to buy an entire vessel.
    KDF vs Fed as the only pvp option.
    The old unholy trinity of mmo approach to the classes.
    Memory alpha could have been kept around.
    A DS9 you can walk around without smacking your head into the ceilings and doors that actually open before you walk into them.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,265 Arc User
    Mine Trap here too.

It was like a zombie survival set in the Trek' universe.

Never really understood why they got rid of it.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Never really understood why they got rid of it.
    IIRC, they said it was because the high number of people required to play it meant it was basically totally unplayed.

That's a shame. The map was a little too large, there was never a need to have so many different groups spread across the map.

It's a shame they did not just reduce the number of groups on the map (thereby the number of players required). Would have been a good 'Halloween' seasonal map at the least.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    With power creep it could have easily be scaled down to 5 or 10.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Stuff to deal with exploration. It's Star Trek, and that gets forgotten so much.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    thay8472 wrote: »
    The Typhoon Class

I STILL don't get the appeal of that ship. You can also pretty much kitbash the Command Battlecruiser into that configuration too.
    ltminns wrote: »
    The thirty day Featured Episode Rerun giving out 15 Lobi a day, once per Account.

I do miss the FE Replay.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Not really an answer to 'what', but rather to 'who':

Long gone fleet mates.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Two other things:

It would be nice to visit the old ESD again.

And I really miss that 'wow'-moment when I played the game for the very first time and experienced how good everything in this game looks. I had only played browser-based games like Ogame or AstroEmpires and Star Trek Armada II and stuff like RollerCoaster Tycoon until then; STO was my first graphics-heavy game so to say.

That experience really has to be the best one I've had in STO.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    edited October 2019
    Two other things:

And I really miss that 'wow'-moment when I played the game for the very first time and experienced how good everything in this game looks. I had only played browser-based games like Ogame or AstroEmpires and Star Trek Armada II and stuff like RollerCoaster Tycoon until then; STO was my first graphics-heavy game so to say.

Off topic: I had a similar feeling when I first started STO. But Hire an Occulus VR (or borrow it) and try out Vader Immortal. It blew my socks off. There's also a Star Trek game called 'Bridge Crew', which is also pretty awesome if you can get the right players.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Two other things:

Off topic: I had a similar feeling when I first started STO. But Hire an Occulus VR (or borrow it) and try out Vader Immortal. It blew my socks off. There's also a Star Trek game called 'Bridge Crew', which is also pretty awesome if you can get the right players.

Maybe, but that would be treason ;)

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Exploration clusters, Terradome, fleet actions, dev communication, and honestly most everything they removed over the years. Foundry too, but that isn't early years stuff. The ability to finish Alpha quadrant DOFF chains.

I don't think I've ever seen another MMORPG completely axe content like STO does.

I completed all of the chains on my Jem'Hadar. You have to do a little edge crossing work to get the assignments to pop up, but they're still there. It can take many cycles to get the next steps to pop up for some, but I can link you to complaints about waiting for days for some of them back when DOffing was brand new, if you like.

As far as removed episodes from the Romulan and Cardassian/Dominion/Terran mishmash arcs go, nothing of any value was lost except for maybe some unique maps, at least in my opinion. No removed episode had more than half of a good story idea, and many of them were just the same long ground slogs through boring, barely-disguised mazes with slightly different half-ideas for stories attached to them.

If I still DOffed regularly, I guess that I would miss the days of active community updates of the DOffTrekker sheet.

I'll definitely echo the people who have left as the thing that I miss the most.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    I miss the Third Borg Dynasty...
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Some of y'all need to make up your minds. You can miss stable servers, or you can miss Exploration Clusters, but you can't have both at the same time. Or do you truly not remember why they were removed?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.