test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online Television/Streaming Ad

toddmillhousetoddmillhouse Member Posts: 59 Arc User
I admit I don't watch a lot of live tv anymore. But I can't for the life of me, remember seeing a Television ad for STO in the last 5 years if not longer. Now obviously if you're reading this you know the game exists and more than likely play it. But almost every time I mention the game on twitch or a youtube comment, I get bombarded with questions about the game how long it's been out does it have a strong player base things like that. I think it's time for STO to run at least 1 ad that plays a few times over the course of a few weeks on network and cable channels as well as goes into twitch stream ad rotation. It also might not hurt to include some Twitch Prime Loot Item or two just so that people on twitch see that notification and look to see what it is if nothing else.

The Ad basically writes itself, There are several very good existing trailers with some amazing speeches, Edit them and stitch them together over shots from the game, with a regularly used STO Voice Actor giving the outro of "Captain Your Ship Is Waiting" or something to that effect. With the shot of An Odyssey coming out of ESD, a D'deridex flying through the Flotilla, and a Bird Of Prey in the Fleet Yards Above Q'nos. Cut to a star field with a Logo Splash Screen Subtitled "Where Will Your Next Mission Lead?", Final shots legal fine print with large letters center screen "Free To Play Available at" with icons and web addresses for Steam, Arc and other locations it can be downloaded.

And I'm not talking about dropping 30 second Super-Bowl ad time here, but Prime time, maybe once a week, on at least 1 of the big 4 Networks, with the same ad also running on various other cable services in the 4-6pm slots. This has to be doable, and the revenue generated should more than offset the cost of the ad itself and the time purchase. Not to mention the buzz it will generate.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    On TV? The only place I ever saw an ad for STO was on Facebook. Advertising has always been Cryptic's great weak point. (You'd be amazed how many former CoH players don't even know CO exists.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    If it were TV advertising I never would have heard of this game. I don't think its worth it, as TV is a very different pastime than MMORPGs. The only real place it would make sense would be during a rerun of a ST show.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    On TV? The only place I ever saw an ad for STO was on Facebook. Advertising has always been Cryptic's great weak point. (You'd be amazed how many former CoH players don't even know CO exists.)

That's pretty bizarre considering they even ran simultaneously for a couple years.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Marketing is expensive, and isn't it mostly the publisher's job, aka Perfect World (and formerly Atari), to do that?

I think a STO ad on Facebook isn't a bad idea, so many people use it these days, it might have the same reach as a TV ad these days. (But neither would reach me, because I don't really use Facebook, nor do I watch TV ads. And I use adblockers in my browser.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    They have never been great at advertising but they don't really need to do much these days and TV is a waste of a lot! of money its a dieing industry and doubtful it would bring in many new players.

They do tend to crop up on the MMO sites and forums from time to time normally when they release new content and do some sort of PC giveaway and on the consoles PS4/Xbox do highlight F2P games alot and STO gets shown in the those highlights.

That's pretty bizarre considering they even ran simultaneously for a couple years.
    Those who knew of it then seem to assume it died sometime before CoH did. I've got 43 current toons who say otherwise, but... :smirk:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    CO is dead. It just doesn't know it yet. ;)

They said that about Ultima Online (my first MMO). Quite a few times.

It's still going :)
    valoreah wrote: »
    CO is dead. It just doesn't know it yet. ;)
    Been hearing that one since beta, frankly. Just celebrated its tenth anniversary. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.