test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Malon battlecruiser utterly crushing me

dougarthurdougarthur Member Posts: 9 Arc User
Ye gods, how are the Malon (encountered during “Reunion”) the hardest enemy in the game? Had a hard enough time with its support craft, but the battlecruiser itself is laying waste to me. Spent a good 20 minutes fighting it (and the two smaller Malon craft), dying about once a minute, finally getting it down to about 40%. Then, after one respawn, the damned thing had returned to full health! 🤬 Needless to say, I’m not continuing right now. This mission may get skipped...

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Malon_Battleship
    Let me venture a guess: you get caught in a tractor beam and then pummeled by explosions?

The malon strategy is based on immobilizing the opponent and then pummeling them.
    Without taking your build into account: stay out of the yellow cloud, stay 6km or more way from Malon to avoid tractor beam and spatial charges and remember to keep moving.

Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Agreed with questerius. Also try and stay on their side as Malon do have cannons and beams, so their more dangerous in the frontal arc, and getting behind them is bad because of Theta Radiation clouds, which ALL Malon ships can dump.

if you have to get within 5 km... have Polarize Hull on one of your BOffs so you can break free of a Tractor Beam.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dougarthurdougarthur Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Okay, thanks folks. I’ll try to apply the advice this evening. 🙂 If I’m still I dire straights, I’ll come back with more info about my ship and all.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    As has pretty much been covered by this point:

1.) Stay out of it's frontal and aft arcs - it has dual cannons facing both directions that can chew you up.
    2.) In general, keep your distance - preferably over 5km away so it cannot tractor you(Malon also love to vent radiation and deploy mines if you're too close).
    3.) It's equipped with Spacial Charge Launchers - think of them like space mortars. You'll see little red circles appear at your location; that means an artillery charge is on its way. If you're at the location when the warhead arrives, you're going to take a lot of damage(so keep moving). The Voth, Tzenkethi, and maybe one or two other encounter groups also use this weapon.
    4.) If battles are taking that long, there is probably a lot of room to improve your setup. A lot of us are more than willing to help with that.
    Whew! Okay, done. Managed to keep my distance better this time (unfortunately, I kind of suck at steering these ships), and, for some reason, the battleship spawned without any helpers, so that sped things up! But what made the big difference was trying the Nimbus Pirate Distress Call I’d picked up earlier. Those guys kick *ss!

Thanks for all the advice, folks!
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,981 Arc User
    dougarthur wrote: »
    But what made the big difference was trying the Nimbus Pirate Distress Call I’d picked up earlier. Those guys kick *ss!
    You'll get more consistent results by focusing on the use of your bridge officer and captain abilities (as well as positioning as mentioned above) to deal with the bad guys.

Also: check to see if your ship's power preset is set to 'attack', that all of your energy weapons are of the same type (i.e. phaser), and that your tactical consoles are specific to that energy type.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Dang. Nostalgia hit me. Saved by the bell Nimbus Pirate Distress Call

If i recall correctly they're only worth about 2-3k DPS so you may need a few pointers on your build. Can you post it on https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »
    Dang. Nostalgia hit me. Saved by the bell Nimbus Pirate Distress Call

If i recall correctly they're only worth about 2-3k DPS so you may need a few pointers on your build. Can you post it on https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/

Okay, this is probably the worst build you’ve ever seen, as I have no idea what the hell I'm doing most of the time. 90% of my playtime is spent concentrating on the story. And if the game doesn’t explicitly tell me I’m able to do something (which seems to be its default), I end up not discovering it for ages, so I’m probably well behind on a lot endgame stuff.

https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/5c2551bbee4ca75e882b0cc78c218f14

I await the cries of “how the hell did you get to level 65 with this setup?” 🙂
    edited October 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Oh...my...

So...how much resources do you have to redo that mess?

Toldja.

At this exact moment, I have 1,518,985 energy credits, 21038 dilithium and 225 zen.

I’m just assuming this isn’t much.
    Post edited by dougarthur on
    Toldja.
    I'm pretty sure my first attempt at putting a ship together looked worse :smile:
    protoneous wrote: »
    Toldja.
    I'm pretty sure my first attempt at putting a ship together looked worse :smile:

Thanks, I appreciate that. 😄

Here's a suggestion for your Star Cruiser. It's not perfect, but both space and ground items focus mainly on things you can get from missions. Consider it something to work towards and to experiment with.

The thing about engineering heavy cruisers with limited tactical boff slots is that they often work best using an auxiliary to battery (A2B) build that requires 3 technician doffs (blue or better) in combination with 2 copies of the engineering boff ability 'auxiliary to battery' to take care of having your abilities coming off cool down as quickly as possible as well as keeping your power levels nice and high .

With this non A2B build two copies of emergency power to weapons is your staple so that it's up all of the time, as in Teacher Kirby's video. More weapons power equals more damage done. There are a couple of ensign engineer boff slots not entirely needed in this non-A2B build that could be filled with other things but really am just trying to point you in the right direction and see perhaps what others have to add - and to ensure the bad guys say ouch more often than you do.

One thing about the number of tactical boff abilities slots available on this ship and others similar to it is there's not enough of them to do everything you'd like to. In this case you only have 2 and with tactical team being a staple to distribute your shields you're left with either an attack pattern (beta), a torpedo spread, or a beam buff. In this case I used beam overload as you did so there's no torpedo in the build. You could keep the Vaadwaur cluster torp though.

https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/d51bb315b3ff1c42d43fc1f31f5af7bd

Some notes:

If I had a ship with more tac boff slots I'd add attack pattern beta 1 and try and get my beam skill (whether BFAW or BO) to the LtC level, and finally add an ensign torpedo skill last and would probably make sure the torp is part of a set.

Tactical team cool down is via 2 active VR duty conn officers if you can find some cheap ones or in a different ship you could use 2 copies.

The type of warp core recommended might be better for BFAW, with a plasma integrated being better for BO but this isn't too important at the moment nor is both the rarity and level of the core. W-->A or W-->E are both fine.

Any Positron deflector would be a good fill in for now to firm things up. Lot's of items can be filled in cheaply from the exchange while running missions for better stuff - they don't have to be purple.

Consider trying intel as your primary spec (has both space and ground aspects) and strategist secondary for cool downs (attrition warfare) using threatening stance. The temporal primary you've listed is a good fill in and has some interesting aspects both for space and ground as well.

For the ground portion of the spec both the PSG, primary and secondary guns and armor are available via the story line. I picked a split beam primary as I happen to be fond of them. The PSG and secondary gun form a good set bonus. Some would put the skill points from endurance training and armor expert into a second point of kit cool down and armor pen for more dps and quicker kit ability cool downs.

Space spec is a league standard recommendation and works well. It includes a couple points into torpedo for the future if you intend on running one. The usual disclaimer - you are the Captain, build your ship how you want to :smile:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Episode_replay
    Holy cow. That’s amazing! And more than a little overwhelming (there are some terms there I don’t even know!). But I will do all I can to apply the incredible advice!

Thank you so much!
    Time to do some doffing here: https://sto.gamepedia.com/B%27Tran_Cluster

For this guy (x3):https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ten_of_Ten_(Technician)

3 very rare technician doffs currently cost about 48,000,000 EC (16M each) so you could save a lot by doffing for techs over time. A2B is the optimal build for the ship, compared to more basic options a player might use.
    Cold, I just ran through all 3 builds on the Star Cruiser in-game... basic, better, best. While they're all a huge improvement and work fine, it was certainly a good recommendation of yours to use non-doffed A2B for that extra power until the OP can get some technicians. Great power levels, no issues in advanced queues as you mentioned. Nicely done.
    Okay, this question will probably make me look like a damn idiot, but...

In the suggested build, there’s a bunch of Very Rare Phaser Beam Array Mk XII. I don’t see one anywhere in the listed rewards for Episode Replay. Am I stuck buying (at a million credits each in the exchange) or crafting (in which case I better learn how to properly craft) those or am I completely oblivious to where one might find them?
    Nope, I think you're right. Oops. While it seems you can get beam arrays of other energy types up to Mk XII very rare, phaser beam arrays from missions seem to top out at Mk XI rare.

If you want to complete your ship build you could use Mk XI-Mk XII rare from the exchange for a little over 100K ec each or use mission replay.

As for crafting, get your beams school to level 15. Items are crafted at Mk II VR and upgraded during an upgrade weekend.

I used Mk XII VR as an example to work towards. For doing missions and normal level queues you don't need much to get off to a good start. Your spec and basic gear choices count for some. After those are taken care of it's your boff ability choices and especially piloting and practice that count for a lot more.

Check out Cold's build, I tested it in-game and it worked very well. If going A2B please don't use the temporal disentanglement suite console that I linked as it isn't A2B compatible. A2B builds don't have much in the way of auxiliary power and that console is aux dependent.

All 3 builds are viable for your ship but again could be ranked basic, better, best.