test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming Blade franchise reboot

azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 11,135 Arc User
The news came out a few months back that Marvel is rebooting Blade. The new film will star Mhershala Ali, who played Cottonmouth in the Luke Cage Netflix series.

I'm rewatching the first film and thinking about what I'd like to see and I was curious what you all might think.

For myself I'm hoping they;

Keep it R rated, Blade deserves that, even Deadpool would say he did it first. Speaking of Deadpool, Marvel has said he will stay R rated, so maybe Blade and Deadpool can start the MCU's version of "Marvel Knights", a Mature Audience Imprint (a comic publisher sub-label, like DC's Milestone and Wildstorm) from the comics. Random thought just hit, I wonder if the Deapool 2 writers, knowing the merger was coming, wrote the whole time travel sequence at the end just for them. It did after all mean all of the events of the film didn't happen.

Bring back the character of Karen Jensen, and keep her personality. Keep her around for more than 1 movie this time too.

Whistler needs to be done very carefully, not many can match the original performance in my opinion.

Don't repeat the first villain, not for a while at least, Stephen Dorph won an Oscar for that one, don't open that can of worms right now.

Anybody else?
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

Robert Heinlein

#BringBackJoshuaRiker

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I hope they use the same house glyphs. At least if they reuse the same house names.

Also... vampires are people too. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The Netflix shows are all 'R-Rated' so Blade wouldn't be able to kick off a MCU 'R-Rated' trend.

The only bit I'm bothered about is that Blade is supposed to be English so I hope Ali can do a convincing accent.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Mhershala Ali is awesome, so at least on that front they're good.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    > The news came out a few months back that Marvel is rebooting Blade. The new film will star Mhershala Ali, who played Cottonmouth in the Luke Cage Netflix series.
    >
    > I'm rewatching the first film and thinking about what I'd like to see and I was curious what you all might think.
    >
    > For myself I'm hoping they;
    >
    > Keep it R rated, Blade deserves that, even Deadpool would say he did it first. Speaking of Deadpool, Marvel has said he will stay R rated, so maybe Blade and Deadpool can start the MCU's version of "Marvel Knights", a Mature Audience Imprint (a comic publisher sub-label, like DC's Milestone and Wildstorm) from the comics. Random thought just hit, I wonder if the Deapool 2 writers, knowing the merger was coming, wrote the whole time travel sequence at the end just for them. It did after all mean all of the events of the film didn't happen.
    >
    > Bring back the character of Karen Jensen, and keep her personality. Keep her around for more than 1 movie this time too.
    >
    > Whistler needs to be done very carefully, not many can match the original performance in my opinion.
    >
    > Don't repeat the first villain, not for a while at least, Stephen Dorph won an Oscar for that one, don't open that can of worms right now.
    >
    > Anybody else?

Deadpool, Blade, and Kingsmen.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    artan42 wrote: »
    The only bit I'm bothered about is that Blade is supposed to be English so I hope Ali can do a convincing accent.
    In the comics, Blade may have been British. In the first movie trilogy, Blade was distinctly American, because Snipes can't do a British accent to save his life.

If this movie winds up in continuity with the MCU, it'll be set in Earth-199999, so the nationality can be up for grabs - Blade could be an ancient Egyptian with a Scottish accent, for all we know at this point. :wink:

I'm hoping for the R rating, so that it weakens the case that Deadpool 3 should be toned down to PG13.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > The Netflix shows are all 'R-Rated' so Blade wouldn't be able to kick off a MCU 'R-Rated' trend.
    >
    > The only bit I'm bothered about is that Blade is supposed to be English so I hope Ali can do a convincing accent.

There have not yet been any R rated MCU films. The TV shows are rated TV MA, which may be R equivalent but they aren't films.

You didn't say films. You said MCU.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Blade needs that R rating, make it a PG-13 and you ruin it
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      I dunno, they managed to work it into Spiderman without fully ruining it.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      The Blade we saw in Spiderman was tame in comparison to how he is in the comics and movies (I like to think that Blade Trinity never existed since that was just plain bad)
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Depends on what you mean by R Rating. Having a R Rating for gratuitous violence is what we expect for Blade, but not a R Rating for Romance.
      • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
        I doubt it will be R. Disney doesn’t put out R rated movies. I’ll be surprised if a R rated Deadpool comes out.
        Your pain runs deep.
        Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
        khan5000 wrote: »
        I doubt it will be R. Disney doesn’t put out R rated movies. I’ll be surprised if a R rated Deadpool comes out.
        That's what Touchstone Pictures is for - R-rated Disney films.
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
        edited October 2019
        starkaos wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by R Rating. Having a R Rating for gratuitous violence is what we expect for Blade, but not a R Rating for Romance.

Just on the action on the fighting side of things
        Post edited by theraven2378 on
        NMXb2ph.png
          Touchstone has been reduced to just distribution for the DreamWorks films.

> @jonsills said:
          > (Quote)
          > That's what Touchstone Pictures is for - R-rated Disney films.
          Your pain runs deep.
          Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
          Yes Disney has acquired the rights to, put out R Rated films through other studio labels.
          I don’t see Disney putting out an R Rated Deadpool and/or Blade especially if said characters will interact with Spider-Man and Captain Marvel. So my thoughts are we are either gonna see a PG-13 film or a rated MA Hulu show.
          Your pain runs deep.
          > @azrael605 said:
          > They didn't acquire them through other labels. They flat out owned the label before the films were even concieved and produced. Disney execs approved all of those films before production and release. The same is true today as Disney properties, the same as Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios are, continue to release R rated films. Disney has already stated that Deadpool is staying R rated. There is no particular reason to believe otherwise.
          >
          > None of the upcoming MCU shows are going to Hulu by the way. All of the announced shows, Hiddleston's Loki, Olsen/Bettany's WandaVision, Mackie/Stan's Falcon and Winter Soldier, and the animated What If? Are all.going to Disney+, along with Lucasfilm's Mandalorian.

Read what I typed again. Yes Disney has acquired, (comma) put out R rated films through other studios.

Disney can say they are gonna put out R rated films BUT they have yet to announce one. I will believe that when I see it.

Disney as also stated that Disney+ will only go as high as Pg-13. This is why the Marvel shows Hellstrom (based on the Son of Satan character) and Ghost Rider (which I think I heard got cancelled yesterday) shows, which we’re going to be TV-MA were going to be on Hulu.
          Your pain runs deep.
          Khan. Check it. Disney owns a lot of studio names. When they want to release a movie that they're not sure fits the Disney image, they use one of the other studios - I mentioned Touchstone upthread because that was a studio created by Disney for specifically that purpose.

They have released R-rated movies, just not under the Disney name.
          Lorna-Wing-sig.png
          edited October 2019
          > @jonsills said:
          > Khan. Check it. Disney owns a lot of studio names. When they want to release a movie that they're not sure fits the Disney image, they use one of the other studios - I mentioned Touchstone upthread because that was a studio created by Disney for specifically that purpose.
          >
          > They have released R-rated movies, just not under the Disney name.

I guess I’m not making myself understood properly. I am agreeing with this. The Walt Disney Company will use other studios for their R Rated fare. I do not see The Walt Disney Company putting out an R Rated Blade movie under the Disney Studios banner. Currently The Walt Disney Company uses Touchstone as a studio to release trash movies they don’t want the Disney name on. This was a point of conflict between them and Jerry Bruckheimer. So my thinking is The Walt Disney Company will make a PG-13 Blade movie or a series on Hulu as it fits the supernatural series they were starting over there (Hellstrom and Ghost Rider).
          Your pain runs deep.
          https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/08/27/disney-plus-may-only-show-pg-13-content-giving-netflix-amazon-and-apple-an-advantage/amp/

Disney + will be PG-13 or softer.

We are talking distribution. Walt Disney will make a Rated R film but put it out aka distribute it via other studios...like the aforementioned Touchstone. Marvel and Lucasfilm and Pixar make their films...Walt Disney distributes them.

Yes Hulu is another brand but this seems to be where they are setting up their supernatural series (Hellstrom and Ghost Rider).
          Your pain runs deep.
          > @valoreah said:
          > (Quote)
          >
          > Neither does anyone else. They never have done it before, why would they start now?

It was part of my argument that we will either get a PG-13 Blade movie or a TV-MA Blade series on Hulu
          Your pain runs deep.