test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Infected: Manus" are no longer eligible for Random TFO inclusion ?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    "It was fine in 2012"? You mean back when people didn't play it except for the tech drops? How many of those were full PUGs? Probably not many. Definitely not people who weren't intentionally queuing IGA. Which is... exactly the way it is now.
    Wrong!

Pre Delta Rising Borg STF including IGA was the only thing my entire friendliest and I played PvE wise. We played it over and over again! We played it day in day out, in pugs, with my fleet, as a mix of those and in channels. The only thing that made me stop was a shot at NWS with some good players. You know the well-designed map not the stupid version they re-released and we now get as Forrest Gump event.

Back in 2012 I had zero trouble to find players to do IGA with me. Not in my fleets, not in channels and most certainly not in form of pugs.
    In other words you mostly played it with friends, and mostly with people who had memorized the mission.
    If people want to queue IGA they can. It's just that only people who want to play it will.
    Wrong again!

We cannot play IGA now if we want to. Elite teams in channels don’t play it because it does not have an elite mode and its too easy, my fleet mates do not play it because there are much easier ways to earn Dil nowadays and pugs don’t queue up for it because they have become too bad at it to handle. RTFO was the only way left. Now thanks to players like you and Kael it’s no more.

STO just became a bit better to handle for you at the cost of getting a bit more boring for me. You’re welcome but please don't fool yourself into thinking that alls fine for anybody besides you. ;)
    Really? 'cause If you want to do a 5-man premade team of the mission you can. It sounds to me that your problem is that your friends don't want to play it, and most PUGs don't want to play it, so the only time it popped at all was when randos got stuck in it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    warpangel wrote: »
    But developers do design games for players who can and want to play them. Auto-winning rewards dispensers and challengeless turkey shoots belong in newbie tutorials, not the endgame.
    None of it is auto win though. Again, an auto-win would be getting full rewards despite failing everything, and STO doesn't work that way. STO works on common sense scaling rewards. If you have an objective to destroy 10 things, and completing it gets you 100 marks, why shouldn't you get 80 marks if you manage to get 8/10 destroyed, but fail to get the other two in time? This idea that you have about auto failing TFOs makes no sense. It would be like taking a test in school, and getting a zero because you missed one question out of 10, and justifying it by going "well, you didn't complete the objective of getting all the answers right." Things don't work that way.

could you PLEASE stop that? we already told you several times now that in starbase 1 elite you could get the EXACT SAME amount for afking it or playing it. so your claim is just 100% false, since there exist a mission you could do that.
    but it seems your "winning a queue" is different from the understanding for all others, since for you winning is only with the max possible reward.
    we could call it "successfully complete the queue without doing much/nothing aka afk it". would that be better for you?

in addition, what would your winning condifiton for defend rhlo station advanced and counterpoint advanced/elite? what is with bug hunt, ever done the last optional in there? or nukara transdimensional tactics elite with the optional for no one stepping into the acid pools there?
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    “And IGA is the perfect example of that. It's a linear corridor slog of enemies just waiting around for you to shoot them, even the boss is that way. Cryptic has largely moved away form that kind of design, making DPS not the key goal in TFOs, but rather some sort of mechanic like purifying crystals.”
    From a game mechanic and map design point of view Pahvo is effectively the same as IGA. In Pahvo as a player you play though 1 linear path with a slog of enemies to fight though. Purifying crystals is practically the same as the what we face in the ground Borg STF and IGA. Which is press a bunch of buttons which involve timers.

You say DPS doesn’t matter but the only thing that really matters in Pavo is DPS in the boss fight. Everything before that is just fluff to stretch the mission out and a minor optional you don’t even have to do which makes no real difference to reward apart from a tiny difference in minor marks.

IGA you need a minimum of 3 people to complete
    Pahvo you need a minimum of 1 person to complete, 2 people to do all optionals.

IGA you need the team to be able to communicate and work together.
    Pahvo the team don’t need to be able to communicate or work together. You all go off solo.

So Pahvo is already requiring less team.

From a gameplay mechanic point of view what you are doing in Pahvo is practically the same thing you pick a corridor/path and slog through the enemies. You then press a batch of buttons, move down the corridor/path slog through more enemies press a batch of buttons and guess what, move down the corridor/path slog through more enemies for more buttons.

I don’t see how Pahvo is an improvement for team work over IGA.

“None of it is auto win though. Again, an auto-win would be getting full rewards despite failing everything,”
    That is not what Auto win is. Auto Win is when you cannot fail and win the mission getting the main reward and mission complete message despite being AFK 95% of the mission and doing nothing. That is what most new TFO’s are now. I kind of like doing the Pahvo mission but I don’t like the auto win nature of it.

There is a clear difference between winning a mission and losing a mission. For a competent player Pahvo is impossible to lose excluding beaming out half way though.

“This idea that you have about auto failing TFOs makes no sense.”
    It makes perfect sense. Being unable to fail removes the sense of reward and accomplishment for completing the mission. I like to earn my rewards not have then handed to me on a plate for doing practically nothing.

This stream lined easy approach everyone gets a handout no matter how little they do is to me hurting the game. Why should someone get a handout and mission complete for doing practically nothing?

Have you even looked at the difference in Pahvo between playing the mission and sitting playing poker for 95% of the mission? Apart from some minor marks its pretty much the same. I don't see much of a difference on Elite if I do it on day 1 AFK or day 2 active.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    and it's impossible for a transport to die on elite because the amount of HP bloat on them prevents the one or two klingon ships that spawn near them from destroying them before they can warp out - unless some moron actually does the mission and stirs the hive in the process​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    felisean wrote: »
    could you PLEASE stop that? we already told you several times now that in starbase 1 elite you could get the EXACT SAME amount for afking it or playing it. so your claim is just 100% false
    Actually this is 100% false as you mark reward will go down depending on how many transports you fail to save. As was pointed out earlier.

ok, check this video (german language involved again)

starbase 1 elite is the first one played. a bit shooting at the beginning was just to avoid afk penalitys ;)
    (we do not recommend following that playstyle! this is just a possibility study!)
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    (we do not recommend following that playstyle! this is just a possibility study!)

Yea I cannot stress this enough, don’t try this at home kids!

If you are going to AFK PvE in STO make sure to be really AFK. If you stream it you can’t help but watch and witness how the mission design in this game took a turn for the worse with every release.

Boy I was really afraid we had lost Marcus there after an hour when we could hear his head slam on the desk. :(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited October 2019
    In other words you mostly played it with friends, and mostly with people who had memorized the mission.
    Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote? I played with IGA with everybody available, most of the players I ended up with there where random players I didn’t know.

Really? 'cause If you want to do a 5-man premade team of the mission you can. It sounds to me that your problem is that your friends don't want to play it, and most PUGs don't want to play it, so the only time it popped at all was when randos got stuck in it.
    That one you have seem to read and understood. Now go one step further and realize that the exclusion of a map from the RTFO system is a death sentence nowadays. That one is on my friends, it’s on bad players for whom the content grew too difficult so it needs to be removed.
    animated.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    could you PLEASE stop that? we already told you several times now that in starbase 1 elite you could get the EXACT SAME amount for afking it or playing it. so your claim is just 100% false
    Actually this is 100% false as you mark reward will go down depending on how many transports you fail to save. As was pointed out earlier.

ok, check this video (german language involved again)

starbase 1 elite is the first one played. a bit shooting at the beginning was just to avoid afk penalitys ;)
    And what a enlightening study it is. I had previously believed you did at least have to "defeat remaining klingons" at the end, but apparently no. :disappointed:

Too bad no sound, German or otherwise.
    Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote? I played with IGA with everybody available, most of the players I ended up with there where random players I didn’t know.
    That one you have seem to read and understood. Now go one step further and realize that the exclusion of a map from the RTFO system is a death sentence nowadays. That one is on my friends, it’s on bad players for whom the content grew too difficult so it needs to be removed.
    No it's more of a reflection on the fact that prior to RTFOs only players who wanted to play it did, and unfortunately for you, that was a minority of the player base which has dwindled to nearly nothing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Veteran Dev: And here we have an example of our earlier work, it includes several puzzles, and requires players to work together in order to progress. Although it is old, it is still viable.

Newb Dev: Too much thinking and player collaboration, too little pew pew. We have decided to pull it from rotation. It may return in a new format, which enables players to progress by mashing randomly on the keyboard, as is our preferred design method.
    edited October 2019
    No it's more of a reflection on the fact that prior to RTFOs only players who wanted to play it did, and unfortunately for you, that was a minority of the player base which has dwindled to nearly nothing.

Wrong again as the situation is the same for any other map not supported by the rtfo system. ;)
    animated.gif
    Wrong again as the situation is the same for any other map not supported by the rtfo system. ;)
    Which is a reflection of how many people want to play them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Veteran Dev: And here we have an example of our earlier work, it includes several puzzles, and requires players to work together in order to progress. Although it is old, it is still viable.

Newb Dev: Too much thinking and player collaboration, too little pew pew. We have decided to pull it from rotation. It may return in a new format, which enables players to progress by mashing randomly on the keyboard, as is our preferred design method.

Why not a hybrid? Also, that is a too simplistic way to look at that. We need to try to live in a dev's shoes even though we are a player and not a dev.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited October 2019
    sthe91 wrote: »

Why not a hybrid? Also, that is a too simplistic way to look at that. We need to try to live in a dev's shoes even though we are a player and not a dev.
    I would question the validity of his entire dissertation. A Newb Dev is unlikely to have enough older work to have reason to critique it. Even less likely to actually know whether their old work is good or bad. The mark of a Veteran Dev is knowing what constitutes good or bad game design. A dev that thinks all their work is great is probably someone who simply doesn't know the difference.
    Post edited by markhawkman on
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Why not a hybrid?
    I would question the validity of his entire dissertation. A Newb Dev is unlikely to have enough older work to have reason to critique it. Even less likely to actually know whether their old work is good or bad. The mark of a Veteran Dev is knowing what constitutes good or bad game design. A dev that thinks all their work is great is probably someone who simply doesn't know the difference.

I updated my post. Also, that the quote post bug in the forums really needs to be fixed.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    No, it's a reflection of how vocal you and people like you can actually be.
    But the problem is people like us, who actually likes a challenge, because we're elitists. Yep. Absolutely.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    But the problem is people like us, who actually likes a challenge, because we're elitists. Yep. Absolutely.​​

Which "you" are you referring to? No, I do not believe that equinox's comments are a good reflection of what people in this thread believe, it is an oversimplification of those views. Also, can we please calm down and just present our arguments without attacking each other? No, you are not an elitist for wanting a challenge. I know it is human nature to retaliate, when we have been wronged or feel that we are not being listened to but it does not make it right. That goes for you as well as everyone else. Otherwise, this thread is in danger of being closed down which I do not want to see happen. Thanks. :)

Which "you" are you referring to? No, I do not believe that equinox's comments are a good reflection of what people in this thread believe, it is an oversimplification of those views. Also, can we please calm down and just present our arguments without attacking each other? No, you are not an elitist for wanting a challenge. I know it is human nature to retaliate, when we have been wronged or feel that we are not being listened to but it does not make it right. That goes for you as well as everyone else. Otherwise, this thread is in danger of being closed down which I do not want to see happen. Thanks. :)
    Yeah, I 'm not saying the mission is terrible and needs to be removed from the game. I'm saying that expecting people who've never even heard of it before to complete it is dumb. It wasn't designed for that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Which is a reflection of how many people want to play them.

Congratulations for rewinding the thread from page 10 right back to the OP. I understand that moving forward does not seem to be a problem limited to IGA here. Perhaps we take minority-majority stuff from a poll we did back on a similar topic a while back or do we have to redo that one as well?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1249208/more-maps-to-be-removed-from-the-rtfo-system/p1

Speaking of, we are down to the majority being 1 - Kael so it seems u have it clearly on your side. :D

animated.gif
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User

Ha! Hardly a dissertation and as someone else pointed out, probably a gross over simplification. It however one of my favourite places, and no, I do not think everything that the 'original' dev's was good, far from it.

However, I do not see the need for it to be removed from the rotation, but as someone else also pointed out, I am not a dev, I do not have access to dev resources and am not under dev 'pressures'.

So, yes I can see the other side of the coin. But sometimes it's nice to vent with a pointless, one sided little snippet.
    But the problem is people like us, who actually likes a challenge, because we're elitists. Yep. Absolutely.

My post was in direct answer to @markhawkman, because it was the last one. Other people have answered in between, so my not quoting him have not gone the way I wanted the post to go.
    I'm not retaliating to anything. We've been called elitists because we want a challenge, because we don't feel that having something that actually requires team work is bad, for the game or for the players.
    We have debunked every argument presented in this thread with the exception of "the old Borg STFs are dated" - because of course they are - and still people are changing their own posts, using selective quoting to take things completely out of context, changed the narrative whenever it suited them to make us look like idiots... but I'm the one that's retaliating? Yep. Exactly right.
    But go ahead, put as many :) as you want. It's not gonna change anything.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    Yeah, I 'm not saying the mission is terrible and needs to be removed from the game. I'm saying that expecting people who've never even heard of it before to complete it is dumb. It wasn't designed for that.
    It's dumb? Are you even serious right now?​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,240 Community Moderator
    Everyone in here needs to calm down. This whole discussion is devolving. There are not any number of players who made this happen by being vocal about it. This happened because the devs decided to do it based on what they perceive as low quality work and they simply don't want it showcased in the RTFOs. So, please, stop attacking one another for your differences of opinion. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Why is this still being discussed already? There are two camps here and neither is going to convince the other to switch sides.

I am Switzerland here, never having done the Borg Ground TFOs, or RTFOs (except when a Universal Endeavor). If I want to do a Borg Ground TFO or any other TFO, I will queue for it specifically. I don't need the extra stuff from an RTFO. My current Character has 2.5 Million Unrefined Dilitium, I have plenty of Marks since all are Tier 6 unlocked.

If I want to do a 'new' TFO that I've never done before I will run it on Normal first to get the lay of the land.

Cryptic has decided, it is over. Time to move on.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited October 2019
    EDIT: you know what? @ltminns is right. There's no point debating this anymore.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

edited October 2019

Only really Borg Disconnected should be in the random list. Of the Borg TFOs that is.

Because it is another autocomplete map like the ones from the stream or why do you think so?
    animated.gif
This discussion has been closed.