test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing as Terran Empire (Evil Factions)

Comments

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Didn't w go through this same kind of bovine biological byproduct when LoR came out? "Cryptic? May I please play as Tal Shiar? Pretty please? Cuz I wannabe EBIL!"

No, you really don't want to be evil. You think playing as the Bad Guy in a video game makes you some sort of person to be feared and respected by all. That it makes you 'edgy' and 'hip'.

More bovine biological byproduct.

Cryptic will never be able to do something like this due to limited resources and more importantly, a low return on investment. They're not foolish enough to sink a bunch of time and money into an aspect of the game I'm guessing few players want. And the vocal minority here on the official forums probably does not spend enough money to make Cryptic change their minds.

Asking to play as Bad Guys really should be in the FCT Section.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    > @thunderfoot006 said:
    > Didn't w go through this same kind of bovine biological byproduct when LoR came out? "Cryptic? May I please play as Tal Shiar? Pretty please? Cuz I wannabe EBIL!"
    >
    > No, you really don't want to be evil. You think playing as the Bad Guy in a video game makes you some sort of person to be feared and respected by all. That it makes you 'edgy' and 'hip'.
    >
    > More bovine biological byproduct.
    >
    > Cryptic will never be able to do something like this due to limited resources and more importantly, a low return on investment. They're not foolish enough to sink a bunch of time and money into an aspect of the game I'm guessing few players want. And the vocal minority here on the official forums probably does not spend enough money to make Cryptic change their minds.
    >
    > Asking to play as Bad Guys really should be in the FCT Section.

Congrats in telling others what they rather play as. I can only speak for myself when I say I wanted to play as RSE as seen on TV SERIES, which is canon and not this Romulan Republic that only got introduced because of Cryptic wanting to condense the player factions to only TWO.

The same reason why I would play Terran or why I would play as the Galactic Empire. They are as cool as playing the HEROES. Not because I am edgy and want to kick kittens.

https://youtu.be/UeS-Xb5u4-U
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Didn't w go through this same kind of bovine biological byproduct when LoR came out? "Cryptic? May I please play as Tal Shiar? Pretty please? Cuz I wannabe EBIL!"

No, you really don't want to be evil. You think playing as the Bad Guy in a video game makes you some sort of person to be feared and respected by all. That it makes you 'edgy' and 'hip'.

More bovine biological byproduct.

Cryptic will never be able to do something like this due to limited resources and more importantly, a low return on investment. They're not foolish enough to sink a bunch of time and money into an aspect of the game I'm guessing few players want. And the vocal minority here on the official forums probably does not spend enough money to make Cryptic change their minds.

Asking to play as Bad Guys really should be in the FCT Section.

I'm fairly sure you're not actually a Betazoid. You can't actually read minds and don't actually know what you claim to know goes on in someone else's mind. It is probably better to realize that now and stop pretending otherwise.

Also there is a difference between playing in an evil faction and playing a bad guy. Again, the end of this arc is already predetermined, our captains would have to end up aligning with FED or KDF to play the rest of the game, which easily implies being rebels or outcasts from the Terran Empire. Sure while we are in the MU, we'd certainly have to do some evil things, but if we didn't we'd be killed by some subordinate to take over our command. It's kinda like how player Romulans aren't part of the RSE or Tal Shiar.

You're probably not wrong about it being a poor investment. Its very hard to know, though, since Cryptic tripped over themselves at the start in not designing a proper KDF from the beginning. Now they use that low interest to justify poor investment in non-Federation factions.
    edited October 2019
    D'Tan is a canon character as a boy in TNG: Unification but beyond that it isn't canon. Maybe CBS will surprise everyone in the new Picard show and confirm that RSE is utterly destroyed. That space elf hippies have deposed them over a course of just 20 years and somehow managed to establish a new government under the name of the Romulan F̶e̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ Republic with scimitar dreadnoughts... yeah... I doubt it.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    edited October 2019
    If the poor investment gets us I.S.S./None prefixes on all ships and imperial hull material skins in the Zen store, I'll take it. So long as I can pretend that I am in the MU. It didn't help much that the foundry got nuked so there goes any future stories of anything other than being the m̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶m̶u̶r̶d̶e̶r̶e̶r̶ good guy.
    edited October 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Its already confirmed that the Romulan Empire is gone in Picard, and all the pointed eared characters seen in the trailers are Romulans. Oh and the only canon Scimitard was made by Remans not Romulans.

Ah yes, confirmed by Kurtzman who helped J.J write the whole Romulus supernova BS story arc. I guess it fits with the RSE being modelled on the fall of the Roman Empire, although I still find it ridiculous that a advanced space faring empire as big as the Romulans couldn't detect a supernova or evacuate their own population.

Yet the Romulan Republic is still using "Scimitard" dreadnoughts as their flagships in STO.

"Since the Battle of the Bassen Rift, both the Tal Shiar and the Romulan Republic have 'developed' new variants based on the original ship design."

azrael605 wrote: »
    > @terranempire#7881 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Ah yes, confirmed by Kurtzman who helped J.J write the whole Romulus supernova BS story arc. I guess it fits with the RSE being modelled on the fall of the Roman Empire, although I still find it ridiculous that a advanced space faring empire as big as the Romulans couldn't detect a supernova or evacuate their own population.
    >
    > Yet the Romulan Republic is still using "Scimitard" dreadnoughts as their flagships in STO.
    >
    > "Since the Battle of the Bassen Rift, both the Tal Shiar and the Romulan Republic have 'developed' new variants based on the original ship design."

I'm gonna ignore the bashing on people and point out that Kurtzman is the person in charge of ALL Trek for CBS. Picard was also his idea along with Kristen Beyer and it was the Romulan pamifications that got Patrick Stewart on board. I will also ignore the blatant ignorance of the actual storylines involved. You brought canon into this, so I responded with canon.

Good. I'll ignore your need to shame me for not liking his writing or not because that's all it is. The excessive cherry picking on whatever you feel on what is canon or not is something I continue to ignore as well. Nor do I feel compelled to adhere to all things canon (especially the video game version of it) and excuse me for not praising all directors and writers just because the words "Star Trek" is attached to their names.
    edited October 2019
    I said I wanted to play as the RSE instead of the rebel alliance/refugee half faction that everyone ended up getting because they're iconic to the show and actually part of the official on-screen TV canon. The Romulan Republic is not canon because it isn't seen on the screen. That is what I was referring to. Just because D'Tan is in-game doesn't make STO or RR official canon.

Calling me ignorant because I won't accept STO as official canon is just you being stubborn. The broken loop line you keep regurgitating regarding canon "is determined by IP owner only". What are you trying to argue? That STO is canon? Because I must have missed a quotation from CBS saying that STO was now officially canon.

If CBS decides to make it canon on screen or quoted in saying it is then that is a different story.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    Both of you quit bickering.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Also feel free to decr> @azrael605 said:
    > > @terranempire#7881 said:
    > > I said I wanted to play as the RSE instead of the rebel alliance/refugee half faction that everyone ended up getting because they're iconic to the show and actually part of the official on-screen TV canon. The Romulan Republic is not canon because it isn't seen on the screen. That is what I was referring to. Just because D'Tan is in-game doesn't make STO or RR official canon.
    > >
    > > Calling me ignorant because I won't accept STO as official canon is just you being stubborn. The broken loop line you keep regurgitating regarding canon "is determined by IP owner only". What are you trying to argue? That STO is canon? Because I must have missed a quotation from CBS saying that STO was now officially canon.
    > >
    > > If CBS decides to make it canon on screen or quoted in saying it is then that is a different story.
    >
    > I'm not talking about STO either. I was talking about Picard. As you said you doubted that Picard would show the RSE had fallen and the Romulans had become "hippie space elves" I provided proof that Picard is doing exactly that. As for STO, the game will either be retconned into precise canon compliance or declared an alternate timeline by the word of the STO Lead Dev, who has already been informed what will happen in Picard season 1 just as he was for Discovery in 1st and 2nd season.

I still doubt that it has completely fallen. A interstellar empire as big as the Romulans doesn't just disappear because they lost one home world. I have seen no indication that Romulan Republic exists in this show.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    The Terran Empire was unstable. It was able to continue for a lousy couple of centuries by inventing warp drive and going on wars of conquest, but even Spock knew it was going to fall in the short term by the 23rd century. He managed to help it last a little longer, apparently, but by 100 years later, it was a mere memory, ground beneath the heel of the Cardassian-Klingon Alliance. Thanks to infusions of advanced technology by Sisko and Smiley, there was a resurgence - but even then it had to adapt; there's no way some Bajoran was going to make Admiral, or even Captain, in the glory days of the Empire.

Centralized empires, like the Terran Empire or the RSE (or the Roman Empire, or...), can only hold together so long as the central government can maintain direct control of the outlying regions. The more it expands, the more it's going to have to cede some of that power to regional governors - and they won't always be on the same page as the Emperor about everything. That's part of why the Byzantine Empire and the Holy Roman Empire, both descendants of Rome, followed such very different paths; the Roman Empire lost control of the outlying provinces, and came to the realization that it needed to decentralize, and the Eastern and Western Empires began to follow their own paths. And today, while traces of the Empire and the empires remain strewn across Eurasia, the governments themselves are so far gone as to seem almost mythical to us.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I still doubt that it has completely fallen. A interstellar empire as big as the Romulans doesn't just disappear because they lost one home world. I have seen no indication that Romulan Republic exists in this show.
    Why would it? Does any part of the show take place in that part of the galaxy?

It DOES, however, have Romulans who might be Reunificationists hanging out with Picard on Earth. This says quite a few things about the status of the RSE. Given the time period of PIC, this would be the part where the empire is fractured and some parts of it just don't like Sela or Tal'aura.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited October 2019

It DOES, however, have Romulans who might be Reunificationists hanging out with Picard on Earth. This says quite a few things about the status of the RSE. Given the time period of PIC, this would be the part where the empire is fractured and some parts of it just don't like Sela or Tal'aura.

Also, as of 2409 (10 years after ST: Picard) the Republic is just a flotilla in space without a homeworld. It's very much a fledgling government trying to look after loosely aligned colonies rather than being a major galactic power. Is it even formally recognized by either the federation or Klingon empire until the events in STO?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Also, as of 2409 (10 years after ST: Picard) the Republic is just a flotilla in space without a homeworld. It's very much a fledgling government trying to look after loosely aligned colonies rather than being a major galactic power. Is it even formally recognized by either the federation or Klingon empire until the events in STO?
    IIRC that's the point of the conference where the player has to choose to side with the Feds or KDF: convincing them to recognize the Republic as a separate entity from the RSE.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    I don't know what we're bickering about but as Emperor of the Terrans I demand we go back to worshipping the Terran Empire and our my desire to fly the Mirror Typhoon Class!

x424al72nme31.jpg

Long live the Empire!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I don't know what we're bickering about but as Emperor of the Terrans I demand we go back to worshipping the Terran Empire and our my desire to fly the Mirror Typhoon Class!

x424al72nme31.jpg

Long live the Empire!

I remember screaming at that ship (I.S.S. Molly) when I first came across it. It fired so many quantum torpedoes I was pretty much dead in a few seconds. Although I didn't have a endgame ship or proper build at that time so maybe it would go down differently.

giphy.gif

Long live the Empire!
    \o_
    II
  • saphira123456789saphira123456789 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    (Flaming, trolling, gatekeeping comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • It's funny though, I just realized that with as many people as my federation captains are forced to kill because "there's no other choice" the STO story episodes fit pretty well with a hardened Terran defector or conscience-free infiltrator. "Real" native Federation citizens ought to be appalled by the rivers of blood, mountains of bodies, and armadas of ships they've destroyed.

True, every time my opponent vaporizes in plain sight I say to myself, "damn! I should have checked if my weapons are really set on stun," and promise to myself to do better next time.
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

edited October 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It's funny though, I just realized that with as many people as my federation captains are forced to kill because "there's no other choice" the STO story episodes fit pretty well with a hardened Terran defector or conscience-free infiltrator. "Real" native Federation citizens ought to be appalled by the rivers of blood, mountains of bodies, and armadas of ships they've destroyed.

True, every time my opponent vaporizes in plain sight I say to myself, "damn! I should have checked if my weapons are really set on stun," and promise to myself to do better next time.
    Yet, even character that were "vaporized" can still be revived by waving a tricorder at the spot where it happened. :D
    edited October 2019
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Anti Terran Propoganda

Truth be told with the amount of killing we do in this game ... we are the Terran Empire!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited October 2019
    Why does the Terran Empire require democracy to survive? The problem they had to begin with is they expanded their territory far too quickly [A Mirror Darkly] and didn't have enough ships to enforce their rule on the conquered worlds that they occupied. It is exactly one of the reasons of why the Roman Empire started to decline (they didn't have the means to communicate fast enough or deploy troops quickly in order to govern all the continents across the world), they bite off more than they could chew.

Kirk's idea of a nicer federation that he seeded into the mind of Mirror Spock although sincere and good didn't help a darker and crueller reality where might makes right and being ruthless decides who survives and dies. His reforms brought the ruin and enslavement of his own empire.

edited October 2019
    edited October 2019
    thay8472 wrote: »

Truth be told with the amount of killing we do in this game ... we are the Terran Empire!
    :D:p>:)
    tumblr_phbrhbPlgc1unsbsso1_r1_500.gif

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.