test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How likely will Star Trek: Picard influence STO?

bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
Personally I Hope a lot! With seeing the new trailer as a fan I am hoping for a ton of goodies from the new series. Thoughts, Ideas, hopes and dreams?
klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    There is no reason not to belive exactly as much as Discovery did. Thats why I bet we get:

- Most if not all shown ships
    - Related stories/episodes, perhaps some polishing of the romulan/borg arcs
    - Characters from the new show as voice actors
    - new clothing
    - New mini-faction that lets us start as a Borg

I bet 2020 will be the best trek year in a long time. Not only on screen but in game as well. I look forward to it. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    There is no reason not to belive exactly as much as Discovery did. Thats why I bet we get:

- new clothing

I bet 2020 will be the best trek year in a long time. Not only on screen but in game as well. I look forward to it. :)

Sounds very Exciting!

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    My hope is it brings STO into hard canon though idk how likely that is. I do know that Ambassador Kael said they asked for Cryptic's notes on their story and such to now. If it were me and I were CBS, I would maybe make a few little changes here or there for story reasons for the show. Ultimately though I wouldn't change too terrible much about STO's timeline. I would then say "so you're enjoying the show that's great! now go check out Star Trek Online the canon game that takes place after the show." At that point both companies make money and we get more content and players. Just some of my thoughts anyways.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'd say it would highly likely affect STO. Picard is prime universe set in what should be STO's very recent past. This should be mean more zen ships and zen items as opposed to shunting every favorite show design into a lockbox.
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    I'd really like to see some Picard content in the game and definitely other content than the current disco one.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Even though the chances are slightly lower than zilch, man, if they could get Patrick Stewart to voiceover a few missions in the game, that would be the greatest achievement in STO in its complete history.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It's extremely likely that it will influence STO. There is basically a guarantee that it does. They will retcon story elements to match the show as best as they can, if that fails, they will use something like the Kelvin Timeline explanations to add new ships to STO from the Picard show.

They might try to do new stuff with Romulans or Borg, they might try to add voice actors from the show (Probably not Stewart, but some of the less-well-known actors from the cast.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I doubt they'd be able to get Patrick Stewart, but agree that other members of the cast are very likely for a new story arc.

Ships will most likely be included - I have to admit I hated the Discovery on the show, but it has slowly grown on me in-game. Although I still don't like it, I certainly hate it less. And I the a lot of the new Disco ships are among my favorites, like the Gagarin/Shepard.

I would be very surprised if a Borg faction or playable Borg entered the mix. It simply opens the door to things that have been done and put to rest as far as the game goes. No, we will not get a Borg Cube or Borg Sphere.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Given that CBS is pushing Discovery to PW, I dont see em not pushing Picard to PW as well.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Given that CBS is pushing Discovery to PW, I dont see em not pushing Picard to PW as well.

PW is the distributor. They have nothing to do with the actual development. That's Cryptic.
    My hope is it brings STO into hard canon though idk how likely that is. I do know that Ambassador Kael said they asked for Cryptic's notes on their story and such to now. If it were me and I were CBS, I would maybe make a few little changes here or there for story reasons for the show. Ultimately though I wouldn't change too terrible much about STO's timeline. I would then say "so you're enjoying the show that's great! now go check out Star Trek Online the canon game that takes place after the show." At that point both companies make money and we get more content and players. Just some of my thoughts anyways.

If they did use some material from STO, that would be cool. Especially since STO is really the only thing outside of books that tries to cover the post Nemesis scene. There may be some differences, but would be cool if at least some elements of STO were made Canon.
    Hell... if you look at it a certain way, Picard's jacket takes some inspiration from the Sierra 1 uniforms.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

PW is the distributor. They have nothing to do with the actual development. That's Cryptic.

Hmmm didnt PW buy Crytic? So it's just a label/dev studio owned by PW?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    I'd say it would highly likely affect STO. Picard is prime universe set in what should be STO's very recent past. This should be mean more zen ships and zen items as opposed to shunting every favorite show design into a lockbox.

make no mistake that EVERY 'Hero' ship will go into a Lockbox/Promotion Pack for the fioreseeable future. They just make too much money that way to abandon the practice at this point. (And if you wonder why it wasn't this way from day one, STO was originally a subscription based game - and anything/everything extra was in the Zen Store.)

The only ships going intot he C-Store will be the companion ships in the background (for example, I'm sure the Cabbot Class science vessel that just appeared on the most recent 'Short Trek' will be C-Store); or the stuff from companion media - Like The Somerville SCI ship from the IDW comic book.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    If the Picard show takes things from the game that's cool but I can't see them writing themselves into a corner by following a video game, with that said I just hope STO doesn't redo every mission again to follow Picard, and remove missions like they did when Discovery dropped into the game and got rid of majority of the Klingon war arc which now has no ending
    GwaoHAD.png
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    If the Picard show takes things from the game that's cool but I can't see them writing themselves into a corner by following a video game, with that said I just hope STO doesn't redo every mission again to follow Picard, and remove missions like they did when Discovery dropped into the game and got rid of majority of the Klingon war arc which now has no ending

Agree.. they may take some tips from the game as the same for the books, but nothing more. I think the show is going to contradict most of the STO content, especialy from the Borg and Romulan story arcs.

And Picard show is going to be at least 3 seasons.. the STO is going to be on a hard spot, and lets not talk about the lower decks show, that is set after Nemesis.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
    Hmmm didnt PW buy Crytic? So it's just a label/dev studio owned by PW?

In a way. Its kinda like how Bioware was picked up by EA. One is the actual developer stuido that works on the game, the other just writes the check.

Just... without the evil that EA pulls. They really should lose the Star Wars license after everything they did. But that's another soapbox for another thread.

Anyways... Before Cryptic was picked up by PW, they were under Atari. Unfortunately that was a bit of a dark age for STO because they didn't really get much support.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    What I am hoping for is that Q brings back Data, and we see a plethora of content with Brent Spiner VO, I would probably fall over... However the likeliness of that happening would be zero.

bcstar wrote: »
    What I am hoping for is that Q brings back Data, and we see a plethora of content with Brent Spiner VO, I would probably fall over... However the likeliness of that happening would be zero.

There's no need to bring Data back.
    Data's still alive. While we can't see his face and they cut the scene before he says anything, we see him go to talk to Sela about Tasha Yar, and he has the Tasha Yar memorial hologram thing.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    New lockbox/promo box contents.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    New face and outfit for Seven at the very least.

And hopefully dual-wielding phaser rifles working like oversized slow-firing but harder-hitting dual pistols with the random targeting of the Section 31 heavy rifle but with a much larger angle.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I'd really like to see some Picard content in the game and definitely other content than the current disco one.

Agreed.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Even though the chances are slightly lower than zilch, man, if they could get Patrick Stewart to voiceover a few missions in the game, that would be the greatest achievement in STO in its complete history.
    Indeed.

Overall... you've got a Star Trek MMO... running alongside one active Star Trek series, soon to be two.

There is no way in hell they are going to pass up anything.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

My hope is the opposite, after how STO handled some canon characters, such as Alexander, Gaul, Taris, the Kahless clone, and Donatra. Or the ending to the Iconian War. Or the Quark's Lucky Seven episode with making the Ferengi able to handle an Iconian big scary boss null-sweat. These are just a few examples off the top of my head.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

- new clothing

There's already a way to start off as a Borg in game. If people really want that, they can open their wallets to do so. ;)
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Oh, I'm sure we'll get all sorts of stuff from the Picard series in STO. There's a whole new ship and crew to monetize, afterall.

As for STO stuff appearing in the Picard Show.. I think the only things I'd like to see might be the Romulan/Reman/Garidian civil war and perhaps a Va'kel Shon/Enterprise F cameo. "Maybe" some obscure Elachi stuff.
    I don't see an Enterprise-F cameo because the Ent-F wasn't launched until mid-to-late 2409. I don't know how old Shon is either. He might just be a cadet or junior officer in the Picard series.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I don't see an Enterprise-F cameo because the Ent-F wasn't launched until mid-to-late 2409. I don't know how old Shon is either. He might just be a cadet or junior officer in the Picard series.

They don't have to follow STO if they want launch the F in 2399 to usher the new century they will and they might not even use the Odyssey
    GwaoHAD.png
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »

They don't have to follow STO if they want launch the F in 2399 to usher the new century they will and they might not even use the Odyssey

The Enterprise E (Sovereign class) is almost 25 years old. The Enterprise D (Galaxy Class) was 20 years old when it was replaced.

There is no reason to believe that the show won't introduce a new version of the ship. Bringing the Constitution Enterprise into Discovery was hugely popular.

While I like the Oddy, I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of an Enterprise F.
This discussion has been closed.