test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: add color names to palettes in tailor and ship tailor

davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
That is, "A15 - light yellow" instead of just A15.

A new player in my fleet is color-blind and would like to be able to select colors without having to guess or ask someone else.

Also, if anyone knows of a site that has a table that shows the mapping with text not just the colors themselves, please post it here.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited October 2019

A new player in my fleet is color-blind and would like to be able to select colors without having to guess or ask someone else.

Also, if anyone knows of a site that has a table that shows the mapping with text not just the colors themselves, please post it here.

That would take a person of serious commitment as every outfit has a totally different color palette. Not to mention color palettes among factions aren't the same either. For canon outfits there's this though https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Uniform_colors/Canon_uniforms and this for mirror https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Uniform_colors/Mirror_Universe_uniforms.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

That would take a person of serious commitment as every outfit has a totally different color palette. Not to mention color palettes among factions aren't the same either. For canon outfits there's this though https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Uniform_colors/Canon_uniforms and this for mirror https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Uniform_colors/Mirror_Universe_uniforms.

Thanks

> every outfit has a totally different color palette.

Yes, it's always fun trying to mix uniform pieces where the colors never quite match. I really wish Cryptic would remove those arbitrary and inconsistent limits.
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User

Yes, make this happen.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Make this happen, but only AFTER we get a unified pallette for all costume pieces.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    It's always fun trying to play a Romulan and dealing with the wildly different palettes between Republic gear and alliance gear. Even the colors that are similar aren't the same.

Actually I thought of a possible quick, partial solution, since colors are arranged in rows, they could at least label the rows yellow/red/green/whatever, and then up top it can go dark<--light-->dark.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User

Isn't each color a different letter and number? Aren't they sorted alphabetically by row and sequentially by column?

I'm not sure how adding a name like "yellow" would be more useful or faster than "A15" would be since there isn't a blue or "A15" in the chart.

Isn't each color a different letter and number? Aren't they sorted alphabetically by row and sequentially by column?

I'm not sure how adding a name like "yellow" would be more useful or faster than "A15" would be since there isn't a blue or "A15" in the chart.

Every palette is hand-crafted to be unique ... and not match any other palette.

Some are dark to light, some are dark to light to pastel, some are random assortments of different flavors. Fun!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    I'd prefer if they gave us an input option to manually adjust the RGB values for more precise color selection.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Unification if the Color Palettes.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited October 2019
    I'd prefer if they gave us an input option to manually adjust the RGB values for more precise color selection.

Like MS Paint did 20 years ago? Nah, too cutting edge!

More seriously, palettes are a big awful mess of randomness in the STO tailor, it would be a major win for Space Barbie if they offered a full-palette RGB color picker, perhaps also keeping the weird old views available for someone trying to follow a guide like the canon pages above.

If outfit pieces are currently stored with palette indices into look-up tables, that can be fixed with a one-time conversion task to apply the table lookup and store the appropriate R,G,B values. Yes it will require an extra 2 bytes per costume piece, but many Barbie players will thank the devs.

Black Desert Online gets free viral marketing just for having good character creation. I know that about it from multiple sites and forum threads even though I know nothing else about the game. Learn from them, Cryptic! STO actually has pretty good character and boff customization compared to most MMOs, and this would take it up a level.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think this has multiple reasons. 1: they don't want us to be able to make anything any color. 2: storing RGB data is a lot more everything when making costumes work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    As an option in addition to a unified full-color palette, absolutely. It would be useful for fine-tuning. But having the full palette first would be more important, as a palette is far faster and more convenient to use accurately than typing numbers (or worse, sliders) for every piece.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Agreed. Like, so much!​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User

Yes, it's always fun trying to mix uniform pieces where the colors never quite match. I really wish Cryptic would remove those arbitrary and inconsistent limits.

This.

I bought the survival suit from the lobi store and think "I'll put my away team in this uniform and make one for my Captain".

Then I see that if I use the "open top" and "closed top" versions to add variety I get two completely different color palettes and trying to match them was way too much work.

Wasted lobi.

Yeah, I could just choose one and go with it; I think the closed top shares the same palette with the pants, so I could just go that way with everyone and be good, but I do not want to go that way with everyone.

The survival suit was shown with an open and closed version with matching colors.
    I didn't think that expecting matching color palettes for the open and closed versions was too much.
This discussion has been closed.