test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Can You Pass the Kobayashi Maru?

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The test of the Kobayashi Maru returns on PC, and with it our Event Campaign! Work towards unlocking a free Zen Store ship by taking Starfleet's Ultimate Test!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11276273

Comments

• adarandreladarandrel Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Will the progress we have in the previous zen ship token transfer over to the new ui?
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    “It is our hope that these changes will make the Event experience a cleaner and more enjoyable one.”
    If you want to do that bring back the original fun No-Win Scenario’ version. For me that was in the top 3 best content in the game while the revamped version is right at the bottom in the worse 3 bits of content.

As for the changes I find them less enjoyable as I find auto win, auto handout removes all feeling of reward and accomplishment. Events should be something that matters not something you just breeze though and win no matter what you do. Personally I find this approach you are taking is making the games less enjoyable and less satisfying to play.

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Redacted - whats the use - noone listens.
  • darkwhite0darkwhite0 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    yo tengo una pergunta (hahahah)

I have the last coupon from the previous event. Are these coupon cumulative or if i don't spend this coupon i will lose this coupon new?
  • edwardhamham#8075 edwardhamham Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I have just one question: if we already got the coupon from all of the previous times, will we be able to get another one? Or is gaining more progress just for the players who haven't gotten one yet?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I have just one question: if we already got the coupon from all of the previous times, will we be able to get another one? Or is gaining more progress just for the players who haven't gotten one yet?

It's a new event, so a second T6 coupon eventually. If you read the blog it also has different requirements (42 days not 60) and there will be fewer double progress days.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Will applying old FTFO tokens towards the event reward also apply to the meta T6 coupon event, or only actual playing of the queue?
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Well... I HAD planned to skip the Maru... but it looks like I'm doing it anyways. Free T6 token is too hard to pass up.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    So, the Sompek treatment, exactly as expected. For better or worse.
  • qwe456345qwe456345 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    O_O this is gonna be a fun one
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Test your mettle against the epitome of a ‘No-Win Scenario’ by chasing a “powerless” yet surprisingly fast, and aggressively suicidal, ship of lemmings as it locates the nearest threat and flies straight toward it at great speed!

That doesn't matter anymore, apparently. This line was in the description:

"The failure condition of having all players dead simultaneously, or of having the ECS Kobayashi Maru sustain fatal damage, have been removed from the Event version of the map."

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, at least that will make the kamikaze maru far easier to stomach this time around - i expected them to do that after they removed the fail from sompek​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • pritch#1622 pritch Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I haven't played this one before but looking forward to it.

Are the Risian corvette vouchers I still have slotted (1000ish/3000) of any use in the new system?
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    Will applying old FTFO tokens towards the event reward also apply to the meta T6 coupon event, or only actual playing of the queue?

I would think it's playing... when you play you get the points for the meta event and a regular coupon. if you just use your old coupons you get the event reward... completing the event does not give any points to the meta event. You have to play daily for the meta points. Well you get more dil then. You get 100k for finishing the event... and then X dill each day.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »

I would think it's playing... when you play you get the points for the meta event and a regular coupon. if you just use your old coupons you get the event reward... completing the event does not give any points to the meta event. You have to play daily for the meta points. Well you get more dil then. You get 100k for finishing the event... and then X dill each day.

Thats why i'm interested, it seems a nice change in paper, last one i didnt make it, this one seems attainable..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    Veteran players that have participated in previous Featured TFOs may still be in possession of multiple “Featured TFO Commendation” items, which are no longer used in the new Event System. In an effort to maintain the value and investment attached to these legacy items, players that still have these will be able to turn them in for Daily Progress and Event Campaign Progress.

Sounds to me it's like playing a TFO. The question i have is if it is on 1-1 basis. One commendation = 1x playing the TFO or 2-1, 3-1.. etc.

Can the commendations be turned in in bulk or only one per day.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »
    "The failure condition of having all players dead simultaneously, or of having the ECS Kobayashi Maru sustain fatal damage, have been removed from the Event version of the map."

I know having Leroy Jenkins in command of the Maru was a bit of a problem, but the solution of quite literally turning "No Win Scenario" into "No Lose Scenario" is just funny.

edited October 2019
    questerius wrote: »
    Veteran players that have participated in previous Featured TFOs may still be in possession of multiple “Featured TFO Commendation” items, which are no longer used in the new Event System. In an effort to maintain the value and investment attached to these legacy items, players that still have these will be able to turn them in for Daily Progress and Event Campaign Progress.

Sounds to me it's like playing a TFO. The question i have is if it is on 1-1 basis. One commendation = 1x playing the TFO or 2-1, 3-1.. etc.

Can the commendations be turned in in bulk or only one per day.
    players that still have these will be able to turn them in for Daily Progress and Event Campaign Progress

Sounds like the opposite of what you just said. They can be turned in and apply to both.

That said, I already tested this on Tribble, and I was able to turn in all 14 in the same day. Now, that might have been because of Tribble, or because the event allows it.
    However the tokens do not apply for the daily dilithium after you claim the rewards, that I already confirmed on tribble.

I was trying to decide if I should turn in tokens I have on day one, or just wait. I have enough tokens for over 9 events.
    However if those tokens don't count for the T6 progess, I might decide not to waste them for this, and save them for when I really need them (ie. on vacation and can't play).
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    skhc wrote: »

I know having Leroy Jenkins in command of the Maru was a bit of a problem, but the solution of quite literally turning "No Win Scenario" into "No Lose Scenario" is just funny.

Maybe Kirk travelled back in time and cheated for everyone. It will take Starfleet technicians until the end of the event to find the bug in the program.
  • captainrc1captainrc1 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Will you get the "Kirk's Protege" title for completing it?
    zv66x44hmssm.jpg
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited October 2019

Yeah, my question too. I've not spent my last one yet. Can we progress a new one and have 2 or do we need to spend this one to avoid 'issues'?

Also, any ideas of doing an event like this for T5 ships?
    duasyn wrote: »

Yeah, my question too. I've not spent my last one yet. Can we progress a new one and have 2 or do we need to spend this one to avoid 'issues'?

Also, any ideas of doing an event like this for T5 ships?

According to Kael, yes you can have multiple: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/dhxfyb/so_can_you_own_more_than_one_free_ship_token_at/
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    skhc wrote: »

"No Lose" is true, but you still need to get through six waves. So, while you can't lose, you could technically get a No Win if everyone just AFK-ed and it ran on without end.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This will be the most AFK’ed event of all time.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Seems like a lot of moving parts now with this event system. I'm liking what I'm reading about this so far & I'm hoping I'm not missing anything. I like that Cryptic is allowing the turn-in for those previously used TFO Tokens. As others are asking I wonder too just to have confirmed:

1) If we already have an unused event -100% ship coupon can we earn another? It had been stated that having multiple were able.

2) Does are accumulated prior event progress for a free ship coupon build upon this new event series or is it wiped-out to zero to start anew?

I'm not overly excited by the ship device, but this Kobiyashi Maru is always a fun theme & sounds like Cryptic has worked to make it more accessible & fun. I'm looking forward to it.
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    I like the idea of the Kobayashi Maru event but I am not a fan of how it was implemented. My fix for the Event would be leave the Kobayashi Maru, stranded pulling no agro. As each wave passes the enemy getting more and more despite will start targeting the Kobayashi Maru, i.e. the Kobayashi Maru pulls more agro over time tell it becomes the main target of each wave. When a player dies, their ship becomes stranded where another ship can rescue them or if it takes too long then the player can just respawn. This makes the even more like the Arena of Sompek Event
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Awww, man. "Pass" the Kobayashi Maru? I wanted to DEFEAT the Kobayashi Maru as originally promised.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Awww, man. "Pass" the Kobayashi Maru? I wanted to DEFEAT the Kobayashi Maru as originally promised.

Check out the 'Ages of the Federation'-mod for sins of a solar empire. The Federation can build KM-type ships as a support-capital, so just play against feds if you want to defeat one.

reyan01 wrote: »
    Test your mettle against the epitome of a ‘No-Win Scenario’ by chasing a “powerless” yet surprisingly fast, and aggressively suicidal, ship of lemmings as it locates the nearest threat and flies straight toward it at great speed!

That doesn't matter anymore, apparently. This line was in the description:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not sure if that's a good change or not. They're probably trying to make it enjoyable for players of all levels.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    So completing the event allows to have a kobayashi maru coming in and dumping rubbish on the screen. Because of power creep there is no need for these as most people can solo events now. However the t6 reward is nice as didn't get the token last time.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    This will be the most AFK’ed event of all time.
    Really? because the enemy ships aren't gonna kill themselves. You have to actually KILL all six waves. This isn't one of those things where you can simply wait out a timer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.