test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STAR TREK UNiVERSE NEWS

Comments

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    she is not holding a gun! the context of all is ,maybe people will like it and commend on them ...
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    "Half baked thoughts". From someone who can't even manage to post a pic-link properly. I'm cut to the quick, I tell you.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    The images (most of them at least) are showing fine for me, Jon. What browser are you using?
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    ryan218 wrote: »
    The images (most of them at least) are showing fine for me, Jon. What browser are you using?

They're showing fine for me on chrome but don't work on firefox.

Not that it makes much difference. With or without the images the weird 'attack' thing is still just as... silly really.

I'm much more concerned with the vicious attack on grammar.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Firefox - on my machine it's more reliable than Chrome, and with less bloatware and insecurity than Edge.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    apparently vanilla is having major problems with firefox lately, because images directly linked here from wikis no longer show up either

and by 'directly link', i mean using the image tags​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Well, the links work for me, in my Firefox.. And so do some of Burnham's new hair styles in that one series of pics.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > Well, the links work for me, in my Firefox.. And so do some of Burnham's new hair styles in that one series of pics.

Yeah her hair looks great. No doubt. But when you spend a year alone looking for your ship who puts all those braids in?

Boredom?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Dang, you made it before my edit. Lol. I just mean as a long haired person myself I've tried to do a much less complicated braid style by myself before to no avail.
    And how many years did you work on it? :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Dang, you made it before my edit. Lol. I just mean as a long haired person myself I've tried to do a much less complicated braid style by myself before to no avail.

Tie one end to a post and spin round your own axis. That's what I do and it works perfectly.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2019

One of the fun things they could steal from Andromeda is nanites to make up your hair. Beka Valentine had them. Though I think it only did color.
    But I could easily imagine Star Trek having "smart brushes" that can do the job of a hair dresser.
    At least, if you don't care for the true art and social experience of a gifted coiffeur like Mr. Mott.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    For that matter she could have probably set whatever they use for a shower on that thing, or the autodoc equivalent or whatever to do the braids. They may even have a small fabricator of some sort though I think someone would have to be near terminally bored on top of very confident to stick their head it.
    edited October 2019
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > For that matter she could have probably set whatever they use for a shower on that thing, or the autodoc equivalent or whatever to do the braids. They may even have a small fabricator of some sort though I think someone would have to be near terminally bored on top of very confident to stick their head it.

She's on a shuttle. They don't have showers on shuttles, and Star Trek doesn't have autodocs, never has.

I missed a number of 2nd season episodes and unfortunately the season ender was one of them. I have seen plenty of clips of the final battle, but that leaves a lot of details, like whether she left in the suit, stayed on the ship, or was in one of the too many shuttles and fighters swarming around unanswered. Without proper context that could have been one of Discovery's shuttles or some other small vehicle like a runabout or courier she picked up from somewhere/somewhen else.

As for showers, there is probably supposed to be some sort of bathroom facilities on the shuttle even if they never show them (holding it for a year would be rather uncomfortable...) and there is no reason to think they could not include a sonic shower or whatever similar to the way today's RV facilities often implement showers. At the very least those crates in the background should have some sort of camping/survival gear in one or more of them and hygiene/decontamination stuff would be important when scouting an unknown world.

As for the autodocs, they defiantly have them later on (though they are prone to complain that they are not doorstops), and it is not unreasonable to think they might have less sophisticated but at least partly automated emergency medical kits of some sort earlier on, especially since I think they used the word or something similar once or twice in throwaway dialog over the decades the shows have been on.
    edited October 2019
    EMHs are not autodocs and no such thing has ever existed in Trek. An autodoc is a device that looks a great deal like a modern clamshell tanning bed.
    The appearance of an autodoc isn't the important part; the first use I've found so far was in Niven's Known Space stories, describing a device that was invented no later than the 22nd century (Dr. Sinclair's niece was found in one in the novella "ARM", in a situation that made her a suspect in her uncle's death) whose purpose is to provide emergency medical services. It has no sapience, merely algorithms for treatment of illness or damage to specific species it's been programmed for (the Lying TRIBBLE in the novel Ringworld had an autodoc in the passenger spaces that could treat humans or kzinti, while Nessus kept a puppeteer-specific model in the pilot's area; it was even equipped with two spare heads for transplant purposes, as puppeteers keep their brain in the torso). It is to an EMH as a first-generation iPod is to the London Philharmonic - both can play music, but one can only play specific prerecorded musical programs.

So yeah, Trek doesn't have autodocs. It has personnel trained to use emergency medkits, which are themselves pretty doggone sophisticated (a medical tricorder is capable of synthesizing a wide array of medications on the spot), but there must be a sophont there to operate the device. The EMH Mk I even in its original configuration was far more sophisticated than even the autodoc seen in the short story "Safe At Any Speed", and when left running for prolonged periods had a tendency to develop sapience as a sort of side effect of that sophistication.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    or in fallout, bears a resemblance to something you'd find in a modern day torture room​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    In some of Andre Norton's books every bunk in a Galactic Patrol ship was an autodoc. If someone got in one of the bunks sick or injured it would detect that, raise the sides a bit and flood the bed with healing gel. They could also use the gel for crash protection.

The FASA Star Trek game, which actually collaborated rather closely with Paramount (enough that it was considered a sort of soft quasi-canon for a while) even had little automatic protoplaser boxes you could place on a wound if there wasn't a doctor or nurse around that would at least get it knitted and stable if not all the way healed. And no, I am not saying that Prime would have to have them just because the game did, I bring it up as another (rather low end) portable autodoc example.

Things like autodocs and stargates and whatnot have been around in written sci-fi a lot longer than a lot of people realize if they mainly get their sci-fi from TV and movies.

Also, that Frengi runabout/big shuttle that got stuck in the delta quadrant by the wormhole that was fixed in alpha but moved around in delta had a replicator onboard. If whatever shuttle Burnham is on is from the TNG timeframe or later then it could very well have one as well, and that could be used to make some kind of automated hairdresser "helmet".

Replicators weren't really a thing in that era; the Discovery, like the Enterprise, had a food synthesizer, but it's not the same thing (more an advancement of the protein resequencer used on ENT than the modified transporter from TNG).

And my point was that the appearance of the autodoc isn't the important part, it's the function. And there's nothing through VOY-era that functions like an autodoc; the EMH is conceptually similar, but not identical.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png