test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't we just shoot Madran?

loonlangloonlang Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Madran the Ferengi has been a thorn in the player character's side for quite a long while. Wouldn't it be satisfying if there was an option to just shoot him and/or arrest him the moment we meet him next time?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Answers

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Don't tempt me
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
      That was a nice option for the Ferengi scavenger in Operation Gamma
    • Options
      djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
      Wasn't there temporarily some way to kill or at least shoot him in "A new light"?
      C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
      -Captain James T. Kirk
    • Options
      shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
      God I wish we could there are a few I would like to shoot
    • Options
      terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
      I remember long ago from another episode where Cryptic allowed you to kill female Ferengi that was responsible for deceiving you and leaving you to die.

It was most... gratifying.
      7065987f80b1e83b084877193d346156a31b29b7_hq.gif
      Someone should make a hit list of all the NPCs they want to swiftly execute.
      tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
      "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
      "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
      #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
    • Options
      I remember long ago from another episode where Cryptic allowed you to kill female Ferengi that was responsible for deceiving you and leaving you to die.

Madran- as slowly as possible
      Slamek- see above
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
        Eh, Slamek got what he deserved, being a slave to Hakeev. I only hope he was on board Hakeev's ship when we blow it up after Mind Games.
        Now a LTS and loving it.
        Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
        I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
      • Options
        alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
        Speaking of Hakeev, if you're are a RR char you get to shoot him in the head instead of Obisek doing it.
      • Options
        natureyouscarynatureyouscary Member Posts: 64 Arc User
        > @terranempire#7881 said:
        > I remember long ago from another episode where Cryptic allowed you to kill female Ferengi that was responsible for deceiving you and leaving you to die.
        >
        > It was most... gratifying.
        > (Image)
        >
        > Someone should make a hit list of all the NPCs they want to swiftly execute.

It was a Dominion episode, she sicked swarmers on ya and tried to escape, her ship broke down and the Jem's caught her. Gave ya a choice, blow up the ship for trespassing or don't. Was back when the trapped wormhole Jem's took over ds9.
      • Options
        echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
        alonar wrote: »
        Speaking of Hakeev, if you're are a RR char you get to shoot him in the head instead of Obisek doing it.

I know, it was very satisfying to put that dog down myself.
        Now a LTS and loving it.
        Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
        I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
      • Options
        coldnapalm wrote: »

Yeah that mission was terrible...until the end. I REALLY liked the end. Wish we could do the same to Madran. Prison is for feddie bears. I want him to taste hot plasma and the coldness of space.

Or spend some time in a agony booth first
        NMXb2ph.png
        • Options
          ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
          Napalm is a dish best served cold. :)
          'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
          Judge Dan Haywood
          'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
          l don't know.
          l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
          That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
          Lt. Philip J. Minns
        • Options
          discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
          You could do that to the fat Orion in the Nimbus arc, too. Either capture him or blow him up.
        • Options

Yeah that mission was terrible...until the end. I REALLY liked the end. Wish we could do the same to Madran. Prison is for feddie bears. I want him to taste hot plasma and the coldness of space.

I'm not a monster. Just execution if fine. I mean if we need answers from him for something...sure. But otherwise, do I look like a monster to you? Don't answer that....

Having him declared bankrupt by the Nagus should cover it nicely
          NMXb2ph.png
          • Options
            shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
            edited October 2019
            I like Madran. He has shown up in a few missions and for me I always wonder what con game he's running this time. Slamek I look at as a short sighted fool and if I could imagine what is his state of affairs these days, he's probably living with a lot of regret.

The npc I really dislike is Obisek. From the first encounter in orbit around Nimbus (don't hold me to the order of events , just my best guess) I repair his ship and instead of helping me with the local crimelord like the other smugglers were doing he takes off but not before he parts with a "thanks for all your help" just to be a jerk. In the vault he just tries to flat out have me killed only to try to recruit me in a later mission like nothing happened before. Then finally after I'm fighting all these romulans until I'm going toe to toe with Hakeev himself and he's on his knees after the beating I threw him , then and only then Obisek shows up to "save the day". He's a spineless punk in my book and I only wish that after the cutscene with D'tan as my character passes him I get to kick him one on the backside.
            "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
          • Options
            markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
            echatty wrote: »
            Eh, Slamek got what he deserved, being a slave to Hakeev. I only hope he was on board Hakeev's ship when we blow it up after Mind Games.
            After playing those stories repeatedly... I think Slamek has some cranial implant to force his loyalty. His "it's too bright in here" line over and over, might be a side effect. There's not a whole lot of proper Reman characters, but no other whines about bright lights like that.
            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            My character Tsin'xing
            Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
          • Options
            foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
            Its easy to hate characters that you're expected to hate because they betray you. I'm not so quick to congratulate their characterization when I can't think of any characters I really love (not romantically.) Maybe captains Shon and Jarok come close, but we don't see them enough, nor should we, honestly.

I find a lot of the villains to be very simplistic cartoon style villains with no redeeming qualities or motivations that are understandable. Hakeev is a good example of this. Gaul is basically the same. Noye had an attempt at making his motivations believable, and recapturing Captain Annorax, but it just didn't work.

Madran, honestly, I think of as more comical. I don't really take him seriously. He's comic relief, the sort of bumbling idiot that isn't really malicious, but self centered and short sighted.
          • Options
            legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
            echatty wrote: »
            After playing those stories repeatedly... I think Slamek has some cranial implant to force his loyalty. His "it's too bright in here" line over and over, might be a side effect. There's not a whole lot of proper Reman characters, but no other whines about bright lights like that.

all that shows is that slamek is a whiner - but ALL remans absolutely CANNOT stand bright lighting; shinzon's viceroy IMMEDIATELY retreated into the shadows as soon as shinzon called for the lighting level to be raised to what the average human would consider barely illuminated​​
            Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
            An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
            A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
            A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
            "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
            Passion and Serenity are one.
            I gain power by understanding both.
            In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
            I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
            The Force is united within me.
          • Options
            spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

I'm not a monster. Just execution if fine. I mean if we need answers from him for something...sure. But otherwise, do I look like a monster to you? Don't answer that....

And doesn't the Grand Nagus owe us a favor?
          • Options
            spiritborn wrote: »

And doesn't the Grand Nagus owe us a favor?

I believe he does
            NMXb2ph.png
            • Options
              gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
              We should be able to kill them as Jem´haddar or Klingon... it would be more gratifying for those races!
              The forces of darkness are upon us!
            • Options
              shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
              Noye had an attempt at making his motivations believable, and recapturing Captain Annorax, but it just didn't work.

You know in my quasi rant about Obisek I forgot to mention how much I like Noye!

Easily one of the few characters that could get a laugh out of me. I know, he's a pompous, arrogant guy who thinks has the answers to everything but I guess what I like the most is the effort put into the way he talks. I mean the voice actor for Noye must have really got into the role.

From the first meeting where he says "aren't you one of those voyagers?" to when he does that announcement "we shall wipe the stain of the Federation from history!" One other quote "oh no its [insert your ship's name] to his last words in the mission after he's defeated "and so it ends!" (not the full quote).

This character got me to laugh and I do really appreciate the efforts of the writing staff and the voice actor who made this character interesting and funny (for me at least.

"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
            • Options
              mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
              edited October 2019
              I'd much rather shoot Sela.

It seems to me that any time she shows up you can expect that the story is about to go into a place where your Captain is treated like a low-IQ child.

Seems that a lot of the guest stars take the game in directions that treat your Captain like a supporting character in their own story.
              The Disco missions haven't been very good (I think that this could just be an issue with the source material), but they have at least let different people take lead. Killing any one of them wouldn't really solve the problem.

Anyway, the problem, of course, is that if you had killed him before they couldn't use him here. Are some players supposed to get Madran while others get some other Ferengi, or are they supposed to just not have recurring enemies at all?

Far better to me to have recurring enemies than "friends" like they have saddled us with at times.
            • Options
              foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
              Noye had an attempt at making his motivations believable, and recapturing Captain Annorax, but it just didn't work.

You know in my quasi rant about Obisek I forgot to mention how much I like Noye!

Easily one of the few characters that could get a laugh out of me. I know, he's a pompous, arrogant guy who thinks has the answers to everything but I guess what I like the most is the effort put into the way he talks. I mean the voice actor for Noye must have really got into the role.

From the first meeting where he says "aren't you one of those voyagers?" to when he does that announcement "we shall wipe the stain of the Federation from history!" One other quote "oh no its [insert your ship's name] to his last words in the mission after he's defeated "and so it ends!" (not the full quote).

This character got me to laugh and I do really appreciate the efforts of the writing staff and the voice actor who made this character interesting and funny (for me at least.

I didn't find him funny myself, but I didn't like how over the top and exaggerated he seemed. I see how that can be funny, though I don't think that works on the main villain of a serious plotline.

Voice acting in general I don't criticize much, as I think most of the voice actors do reasonably well with what they are given, but the context of the scene may not be fully conveyed to them or their lines may get used and reused in odd ways that don't quite fit, so sometimes it may come off as bad when it may not even be their fault. Judging the final product is one thing but putting any of it, good or bad, on the voice actor isn't something I like to do.

When I mentioned liking Shon and Jarok's characters, I actually like Koren's voice acting better, but her lines in the Surface Tension mission when you're defending Qo'nos are so obnoxious and what I think are out of character for a Klingon that I can't stand the character.
            • Options
              saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
              edited October 2019
              As much as I wanted to shoot Madran in the face, I actually enjoyed the moment when he went "Haha, if you do anything, I destroy your precious spores, so here are my demands for..." and my character was like
              205f74b26d34e9115cc39837a4a4ff6d.png
              "... *sigh* Nope, energize."

I like it when Star Trek occasionally pokes fun at itself by having a character comes up with the simplest, sanest and most efficient solution, instead of a convoluted 10-minute "quest" with a lot of technobabble and/or shooting, even if it fails.

That was one of the reasons I liked the "just beam him out into space, issue solved" part of Capture the Flag, even if it was a doomed attempt that was already tried before we suggested it.
              #TASforSTO
              Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
            • Options
              markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
              I often assume that the situation implies that the obvious easy stuff got tried. A lot of times there is a junior officer who makes vague comments about "I tried everything I could think of."
              -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
              My character Tsin'xing
              Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
            This discussion has been closed.