test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looks like Star Trek Picard has made the Star Trek Star Charts canon

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
edited October 2019 in Ten Forward
Someone took this pic of a map seen at NYCC
IGtr16H.jpg
Interestingly, the location of all the systems in that map matches up with the star Trek Star Charts
MWPpjpH.jpg
It uses the exact same symbols, coloring, fonts, star identifiers.

Also, this seems to justify Sol being in the Beta quadrant in STO, because this new map shows it firmly in the Beta quadrant.

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    the locations don't QUITE match up with star charts, but i think that's more because they had to condense a large image (because i imagine the actual map in the star charts book is probably fairly large so that all the text for those thousands of locations could be printed and still be LEGIBLE) down to where it could fit on a smaller viewscreen​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Tholian Assembly is looking rather large there. I wonder if that means anything moving into the Picard series..? Especially as there's no established Cardassian Union (or name of any sort) on that map. Have the Cardassians been incorporated into the Federation?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if anything gets us more tholian sips in STO - and tholian ship class names which i can appropriate for my own uses *evil laugh* - i'm all for it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    The Tholian and the Breen are two of the species within Trek that haven't really been expanded upon. We know so little about them. I'd love to know more, though at the same time, I don't want them ruined. Through TOS and (early) TNG, the Romulans played that part I think; they were there, but we knew very little about them.

The Tholian are, by all definitions of the word, alien in nature and design; they're said to share a consciousness (of sorts) with their species across the multiverse, and across time, so I can understand how that would be a mind**** for anyone to write around, short of it getting unnecessarily complicated. I remember being quite excited when I saw that Tholian ship in the ENT episode, "finally" I thought, they're going to expand on the Tholians with this show. Little did I know, that wasn't to be the case. For what it's worth, I think STO writers have done them moderate justice with what they've been given to work with.

The Breen on the other hand are generally shrouded in mystery, and I'd hate for a bunch of lazy writers to write a background on them that is equally lazy. I'd rather there be a reason for their xenophobia, a true reason for their suits; are they all the same species, are they a coalition (of sorts), are they xenophobic by nature or did something happen in their past with another species to make them that way? Why did they want Earth and Romulus, but not Qo'nos come the end of the Dominion War?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    if anything gets us more tholian sips in STO - and tholian ship class names which i can appropriate for my own uses *evil laugh* - i'm all for it​​
    Maybe "Theraphosa blondi"? Hehehehe….
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • vochrevochre Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Any concern about the canon of Star Trek Picard vs the canon in STO ?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    vochre wrote: »
    Any concern about the canon of Star Trek Picard vs the canon in STO ?
    No.

Cryptic has said that, from what they know of Picard, it isn't going to affect them too much. But even if it did, they would just say STO is in an alternate timeline.

Star Trek Picard might not affect STO, but there is always the possibility of future Star Trek series set after Nemesis that will flesh out the timeline for the late 24th and early 25th Century. It is easier for Cryptic to just say that STO exists in an alternate reality.

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The Khan series isn't happening.

That is disappointing.