new animations feedback

Comments

• snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @snowwolf#0563 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That walk animations were removed because it was sexually offensive. During the time they removed that walk stance they also reduced the max bust size of female characters and gave them more width to their stomach and smaller hips by default. Though you can still give them a smaller waist and bigger hips by moving the sliders.
    >

Offensive according to who?

http://www.serialmmogamy.com/tag/star-trek-online/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SRSGaming/comments/2iiaiz/star_trek_online_about_to_lower_TRIBBLE_and/

Are more sources on it, but a lot of work to look them up on my phone. Just google it, sucks. I know. Though I'm not a fan of the walking style myself, it's way too girly. But like I mentioned above, having the ability to pick from a list of walking animations would be neat. Just how we can pick between a girly idle stance or a more serious one etc etc.

But these kind of "fixes" to prevent sexual offensiveness (is that even a word) can be seen all over. Just how the Tomb Raider reboot reduced Lara Croft by quite a lot. I guess you could argue that it's offensive to those with large assets though?

But that is a topic for another day since this post is technically about animation feedback.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    I do like the facial expressions in the updates, though.

Agreed 100% facial animations and the animations in the new episode are spot on. Whoever is doing them needs a cookie. :)

I don't think they are spot on. They are very cartoony, or similar to The Sims?

Like the first time my character saw a Hur'q it more looked like she had some sort of Vietnam flashback combined with a seizure.

I don't know what you're expecting. That is what it's like for all animated works be it anime or drawing character expressions and for animation it looks perfectly fine. Just like actors who make overly dramatic gestures and are more theatrical than usual (like William Shatner) to convey clearly to audience what the character is feeling.

516d11ae56897eb730a06cd108da2c7e--female-character-design-my-character.jpg

Having to draw all the little muscle movements that show a real live facial expression would be too demanding and you may end up reaching the uncanny valley territory. Exaggerated faces work and the animator doing those for our characters did fantastic job and you're lucky he bothered to do them or you wouldn't get anything but stoic faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGgb4OKHfbE

But here some mocap for you :D

tenor.gif?itemid=5636633
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Jeez those articles are ridiculous. I am 'offended' that I see male characters with out of portioned body parts to the extreme. Big torso, small heads, long large arms and hands etc. but that is my preference of anatomy and they can make whatever they like. People being 'offended' that pixel representation doesn't meet their norm standards of how a character should look is absurd. You get people with small and large sizes in all areas and people saying they don't have any concept of what sexual appeal is are in complete denial.

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Jeez those articles are ridiculous. I am 'offended' that I see male characters with out of portioned body parts to the extreme. Big torso, small heads, long large arms and hands etc. but that is my preference of anatomy and they can make whatever they like. People being 'offended' that pixel representation doesn't meet their norm standards of how a character should look is absurd. You get people with small and large sizes in all areas and people saying they don't have any concept of what sexual appeal is are in complete denial.

I had some odd tailor things happen. My virtual me, "Mel", in game, I made to look like me.....and I really don't got much on top, you could say...and when I tried to go for accuracy....I was getting clipping with whatever shirt/top my character was wearing....you would think the opposite would be the case. (I tried one time, making a Boff look like Dolly Parton...hint hint..and no clipping....What's going on, here? o.O)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I've seen someone do a REALLY good job of imitating Johnny Bravo.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited October 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/SRSGaming/comments/2iiaiz/star_trek_online_about_to_lower_TRIBBLE_and/

But like I mentioned above, having the ability to pick from a list of walking animations would be neat. Just how we can pick between a girly idle stance or a more serious one etc etc.

But these kind of "fixes" to prevent sexual offensiveness (is that even a word) can be seen all over.

Sigh, Stupid reasons. You cannot have sexual offensiveness just by looking at bre asts size, hips, stomach, walking, running and etc etc of a fully clothed female. Every one body has a different measurement. Just like some males got bigger size crotch. This is stereotyping the body. Only if she's exposed/naked it's sexual offensiveness.
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Animation:
    Resolved an issue that caused the player’s neck to stretch awkwardly when using the Feminine stance.

only a minor fix, nothing about the run animation for the feminine stance which stays totally ridiculous.
    they should accept that sometimes they create crappy stuff and make the necessary modifications.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    speaking of animations.. when did the right handed trait die off? it's wierd that 10% of the populations is all in starfleet
    Spock.jpg

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Animation:
    Resolved an issue that caused the player’s neck to stretch awkwardly when using the Feminine stance.

only a minor fix, nothing about the run animation for the feminine stance which stays totally ridiculous.
    they should accept that sometimes they create crappy stuff and make the necessary modifications.

Could it be that said fixes to animations would take longer to do and thus haven't been done yet, honestly do you except them to fire their systems people just to hire more animators to fix this issue only to fire all their animators when a systems side bug is taking a bit too long for your taste.

Also reverting the change might not be possible either at least not without breaking something else. Sometimes it helps to have a little patience with these things and not expect them to be fix as the first priority.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    speaking of animations.. when did the right handed trait die off? it's wierd that 10% of the populations is all in starfleet
    Huh? Players hold guns and melee weapons right handed, and use emotes like "wave" with their right hands.

What is left handed in STO?

Repulsor Burst kit module attack. The lobi repulsor weapon possibly. The Lukari zappy-healy weapon is left-handed. I believe the Cryo-torpedo kit module animation as well. I'd have to look at the other two micro-torpedo kit modules to see if they're southpaw. I do wish there was more left-handed ground stuff. I think one of the attacks made w/ Furiadon's Fangs uses the left hand as the power hand, but I'd have to check when I'm in game next.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    > @snowwolf#0563 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That walk animations were removed because it was sexually offensive. During the time they removed that walk stance they also reduced the max bust size of female characters and gave them more width to their stomach and smaller hips by default. Though you can still give them a smaller waist and bigger hips by moving the sliders.
    >

Offensive according to who?

Are more sources on it, but a lot of work to look them up on my phone. Just google it, sucks. I know. Though I'm not a fan of the walking style myself, it's way too girly. But like I mentioned above, having the ability to pick from a list of walking animations would be neat. Just how we can pick between a girly idle stance or a more serious one etc etc.

But these kind of "fixes" to prevent sexual offensiveness (is that even a word) can be seen all over. Just how the Tomb Raider reboot reduced Lara Croft by quite a lot. I guess you could argue that it's offensive to those with large assets though?

But that is a topic for another day since this post is technically about animation feedback.

Yeah these types of changes are done to placate the politically correct crowd which is always a much, much smaller crowd than normal people, but are much much louder. It would be nice if companies had a backbone or just plain ignored that kind of nonsense because normal people tend to just ignore the strange bleeting of PC sheep.
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    Huh? Players hold guns and melee weapons right handed, and use emotes like "wave" with their right hands.

Repulsor Burst kit module attack. The lobi repulsor weapon possibly. The Lukari zappy-healy weapon is left-handed. I believe the Cryo-torpedo kit module animation as well. I'd have to look at the other two micro-torpedo kit modules to see if they're southpaw. I do wish there was more left-handed ground stuff. I think one of the attacks made w/ Furiadon's Fangs uses the left hand as the power hand, but I'd have to check when I'm in game next.

Most kit modules use the non-dominant hand (as you would be holding your weapon in the dominant one) which for most people would be the right one, the lukari hand device is the only weapon that uses left hand as the "main" hand.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    @jexsamx that old animation was really nice and actually realistic, but congrats to you on getting it removed for everyone else who enjoyed it, just like the female risian outfits before it all became baseball were enlarged despite it being completely ordinary for real swimwear at least in the West.

Let me guess, up next will be the levels of violence in this game, since it could motivate a single person to build a starship and wage intergalactic war with space aliens we haven't yet discovered.

First, the animation in the video I linked and shown in another video on the same page is only realistic if you're a runway model. The animation we had between that one and whatever they've put in now was pretty okay, albeit not perfect - but since it could be changed by selecting a different stance, that was a minor issue for a small number of people, excluding myself who found it perfectly fine.

Secondly, I was far and away not the only one who cried foul when that particular animation was added. Some of the reaction was rooted in fears over what the game would become when Perfect World bought Cryptic, others rightly pointed out that Starfleet is no place to be walking around like a supermodel unless you're an especially enthusiastic Deltan or Orion, and still others pointed out that it was just silly - nobody flails their arms like that unless, again, they're either models or have some sort of disorder.

Thirdly, the assumption that I am against cheesecake is wholly absurd and based entirely on this single example of something I'm against without consideration for the context of why I am against this example. The argument for context made more sense in 2011 before they opened the floodgates on alien stuff, but even still there's a point to be made about how silly is is for every Starfleet NPC that uses certain stances to be walking around like that. You can plainly see how silly it is in both the example videos.

I understand the reflex to push back against politically correct overcorrection, but in order to identify when that's occurring you, need to understand the context of why it's been said or done, else all you're doing is whining to be whining.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User

try throwing a grenade.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    I see waitstaff/servers walking that way every day. I see ordinary women on the street walking that way. I dunno what bubble you live in.

Neither of those are paramilitary organizations but okay.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    What's military, para- or otherwise, have to do with anything??
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Borg Neural blast is left handed too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

I think the player is trying to make the case that with military and para-military organizations, there are standards are to be met. From walking to dress. Discipline. And that sashaying is out of place in a lot of settings where a character is representing such an organization, especially in uniform. And that it's immersion breaking to see it at Starfleet installations.

I think the player is trying to make the case that with military and para-military organizations, there are standards are to be met. From walking to dress. Discipline. And that sashaying is out of place in a lot of settings where a character is representing such an organization, especially in uniform. And that it's immersion breaking to see it at Starfleet installations.

Exactly this. That sort of thing used to matter to more people back in the day. These days not so much. Not that that's a bad thing - I've very much enjoyed my many options on occasion. It's just not the direction I would have wanted back then.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    I'm in the military. And no branch tells its servicemembers how to walk. Marching is completely different. But everyday walking? No. A person's natural walk is their walk. And even that can change from moment depending on a variety of things from mood to how they feel physically. There's nothing about the original animation that's unnatural.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    I'm in the military. And no branch tells its servicemembers how to walk. Marching is completely different. But everyday walking? No. A person's natural walk is their walk. And even that can change from moment depending on a variety of things from mood to how they feel physically. There's nothing about the original animation that's unnatural.

You also change your walk if you're in a hurry or injured, I had a minor limp for about 3 weeks or so due ankle injury I got while on duty (I fell down on a bike and strained my ankle) and no-one commented I had an "improper walk" not even officers unaware of the injury and my service was at a regimental HQ so I did meet a decent amount of officers during my service time and I doubt these things are that much different in the Finnish Defense Force then in US military. (yes my service was the compulsory military service but the same rules apply to all members of the FDF, be they there by choice or by law).

With marching you kind of have to walk a certain way or the formation would break down (since people tend to be of different sizes and tend to have different gaits even if roughly the same size).
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Bumped

Going through all my characters to change the stance so they don't do the "dirty diaper run." Walking in "standard" fem stance is weird too. It's like a zombie walk.

Running with a female character with the 'seductive' stance set as default seems to look OK - it's more or less the old one. However, the 'seductive' stance looks quite weird by itself and not very....seductive, IMHO. :D In addition, it doesn't thematically work with all characters, for ex. being in seductive stance is in character for my Orion pirate, but completely out of character for my Starfleet Vulcan.
    Yes exaaaaactly all of THIS. Some characters fit specific stances better, but as it "stands," all of mine are going "seductive" just so the weird run/walk animation for normal fem doesn't distract me (it's hard to see when my eyes are rolling so much).
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Well, Starfleet's a it different.

What bugs ME is seeing Starfleet officers SALUTING....UGH.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.