New adaptation airing soon:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=r-yas0yPbLU
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    It looks good, potentially the best series adaption of it.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2019

I am aware of two movies and various musicals as well as the famous broadcast, not of serialized versions so far.

It looks to become a faithful adaptation, except they didn't go for the rather iconic look of the tripods and went for generic machines. A really disappointing decision. The artworks in the booklet for the double-CD Musical Version still look amazing today IMO, they should have taken those as a basic framework for their own designs.
    Post edited by redeyedraven on
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    amosov78 wrote: »
    New adaptation airing soon:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=r-yas0yPbLU

Looking forward to this one. Always enjoyed most versions of War of The Worlds, audio adaptations are a personal favourite, the Audible adaptation of the Jeff Wayne musical with Michael Sheen with the updated music score, the Audible audiobook read by David Tennant and the Big Finish audio drama with Richard Armitage, some of the best on audio.

Who could forget the 50's film version, instant classic sci-fi that it is.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It won't be an accurate adaptation unless a certain percentage of the population believes it to be true.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    It won't be an accurate adaptation unless a certain percentage of the population believes it to be true.
    Hilarious, but only true if attempting to re-enact that radio broadcast's "popularity". :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Looks pretty good.

I really hope the HMS Thunder Child portion of the story is told though. It has been ignored in the adaptations but is one of the best, most memorable, parts of the story - heck, in the book the Thunder Child is the only human artefact competing with the Martian fighting-machines on anything like equal terms.

kinda ironic, because the scene of a tripod melting the ironclad is even the cover of the first musical version's CD-case and booklet.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited October 2019

I am aware of two movies and various musicals as well as the famous broadcast, not of serialized versions so far.

It looks to become a faithful adaptation, except they didn't go for the rather iconic look of the tripods and went for generic machines. A really disappointing decision. The artworks in the booklet for the double-CD Musical Version still look amazing today IMO, they should have taken those as a basic framework for their own designs.

I was half asleep when I rote that or I would have wrote "the only War of the Worlds TV series so far that looks to be worth anything" or something along those lines (I thought there was a halfway decent series or two in addition to the really bad one(s) but forgot the details, apparently I was wrong).

There was a horribly botched mess of a TV series in the US in the 1970s that was supposedly the modern day (well, the '70s at that point anyway) in the timeline that the 1950s movie version with the green floating "tripods" was set in. One of the stupidest ideas in it was that supposedly all the death and destruction and use of nuclear weapons in populated areas seen in the movie was all spun as "just a hoax on the radio" and the people supposedly believed it. And as the series went on it just got worse (I know, hard to believe but they somehow managed it).

Thankfully it was not picked up for a second season, though a little later on they tried it again (more or less) with a spinoff of sorts that I do not think even lasted more than a few episodes (it may have even been just a failed pilot for that matter) and really had nothing to do with Martians or the war at all as far as I could see except for an offhand reference or two.

I only read a few excerpts from the novel but I heard the original radio show (one of my history/social studies teachers was a big fan of radio and played the records of that broadcast and a few other radio show episodes from shows like The Shadow that illustrated various points over the course of the year (and it was a lot better than the usual filmstrips similar classes always had). The one that really stuck though was War of the Worlds.
  • Options
    There was a horribly botched mess of a TV series in the US in the 1970s that was supposedly the modern day (well, the '70s at that point anyway) in the timeline that the 1950s movie version with the green floating "tripods" was set in. One of the stupidest ideas in it was that supposedly all the death and destruction and use of nuclear weapons in populated areas seen in the movie was all spun as "just a hoax on the radio" and the people supposedly believed it. And as the series went on it just got worse (I know, hard to believe but they somehow managed it).

Oh I'm loosely aware of 'Tripods', but I was thinking it was like its own thing heavily based on The War Of The Worlds, rather than a kinda-follow-up.

The PC-game is worth an honorable mention though, but its release-version is unfinished and full of bugs. I'm still waiting for it to somehow find its way to gog.com.