test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Awakening: Beneath the Skin

Comments

• jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    just look at what they did with the Sol System...
    You mean put it right on the border like it is in the Star Charts?
    Very funny. That's why it's in the Beta Quadrant in game, both in the Area and the Galaxy maps, eh?
    Also, nice "selective quoting", as usual.
    Let me fix that for you:
    Also, the fact that they're using the Star Charts as base for the Galaxy Map doesn't mean they're always respecting it: just look at what they did with the Sol System... I know they explained why they decided to put it in the Beta Quadrant, but it's still incredibly amusing to me, (and senseless, but that's another story entirely).
    There, much better.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I recommend ignoring somtaawkhar, @jennycolvin. Selective quoting, strawman arguments, and mindlessly repeating "Cryptic is always right" is about all he ever does. He isn't worth the aggravation of dealing with him.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited September 2019
    Technically speaking, it's in the Beta Quadrant, seeing as that is the ONLY quadrant you can access it from.
    What's in the Star Charts and what's in game not always align - and really, they said as much in the news post about the Galaxy Map revamp:
    while following the Star Charts is nice, it's ultimately not as important as the functionality of the game
    (Source: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9078783-sector-space-revamp).
    Granted, they're talking about discontinuities in general, but the concept behind it doesn't change.

As for the rest, you quote what makes sense for your argument, getting pieces completely out of context whenever it suits you. That has nothing to do with basic netiquette.
    But you do you, mate. You do you.
    I'm done trying to reason with you. Have fun.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Please stop attacking each other.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • firebeard#3273 firebeard Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    New guy and probably should not be weighing in here but ..

Astronomically speaking, @Somtaawkhar is correct - sort of. It is an often overlooked fact that the galaxy(s) are dynamic rather than static. Our Sol System is bobs and weaves through the galaxy like a fishing-bob and is at differing relative locations during rotation. It is not unreasonable to have the Sol System, even in the Alpha Quadrant, temporarily.
    "Victory is not determined by whose armies are strongest. It is determined by who is left standing." - Napoléon
    edited September 2019
    Again, I am specifically referring to what's happening in game. And in game, the Sol System is placed inside the Beta Quadrant, to be more "helpful" to new fed players, seeing as all the first missions - from the tutorial to Romulan Mistery - happens there.
    I would be more than happy to have it where it's supposed to be - which in game should translate to something like having it accessible from both quadrants - but it's not. And what's true astronomically or in the Star Charts do not apply here.

But back to my original point, which has been kind of lost: I hope we can see some more action on Andoria's surface. I wouldn't mind having a reason to go back there, except for when the Anniversary's event is on to collect Omega Particles.​​
    Post edited by jennycolvin on
    kv1Ohsx.png

• nishizawasannishizawasan Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Greetings,
    I'm impressed by the latest promotional video. How much does it cost to make such a video, as I one day aspire to do my own?
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > so...instead of Liberace, now we have libelachi?​​

Yes!, With trembling voices and a light show...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    I wonder if we'll see and learn more of Captain Sh'marois. I'd like to know more about her and her... off-duty activities with a certain organization:
    20190915175303_1.jpg?raw=1
    That'd be fitting, considering we recently had the S31 lockbox.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Well, I'll be damned... :open_mouth: I didn't even notice that before. I wondered how she could've gotten around the classification lock on those files.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    you would need to have the eyesight of a cat to be able to see that​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    I must say i'm not a fan of this mission. The first space battle drags on and on and on, and the parts where you have to get the liquid and while being attacked constantly is just as annoying as the part where (you again) being attacked by elachi while some sci stuff.
    I don't see myself doing that mission 30 times day after day, just to get some Alien ship i will never use anyways.
    I also don't like the patrols (at least thos i have tried. Why do Space battles tend to drag on and escalate all the time lately?
    Heck some partols include more ships than there where in some battles in the iconian war, lol.

If they want us to like the Discovery Missions, they should have come up with something different tbh.
    If they want us to play the game more, they should make it more entertaining, fun and compelling, instead of punishing us for wanting to play a Star Trek game.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    > @saurializard said:
    > I wonder if we'll see and learn more of Captain Sh'marois. I'd like to know more about her and her... off-duty activities with a certain organization:(Spoiler)

Yeqh, i lke her.. a lot!.. :smiley:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Please extend the event, can not login for two days (login server timeout)
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »
    I must say i'm not a fan of this mission. The first space battle drags on and on and on, and the parts where you have to get the liquid and while being attacked constantly is just as annoying as the part where (you again) being attacked by elachi while some sci stuff.
    I don't see myself doing that mission 30 times day after day, just to get some Alien ship i will never use anyways.
    I also don't like the patrols (at least thos i have tried. Why do Space battles tend to drag on and escalate all the time lately?
    Heck some partols include more ships than there where in some battles in the iconian war, lol.

If they want us to like the Discovery Missions, they should have come up with something different tbh.
    If they want us to play the game more, they should make it more entertaining, fun and compelling, instead of punishing us for wanting to play a Star Trek game.

Funnily I have the exact opposite experience and opinion. I like the mission a lot. Loads of cutscenes detailing the background but all skippable, absolutely fantastic graphics including the traverse from one space island to the next. Quite a lot of different mechanics used so you cannot just shoot and interact - and I find it quite easy to unaggro the Elachi (hint: let your crew do the dirty work) to get the stuff done in 2-3 runs to the pool. The first space battle IMO is a quick breeze, the second one of course is again on a kind of timer, but it's somewhat motivated by the story and you have to aggro the Elachi so they don't interrupt it (could be a tad shorter).

Favorite detail may be that the Tardigrade joins the final ground fight on your side once it has satisfied its munchies.

So I felt the mission was quite entertaining, fun, and compelling.

Now, if we were talking about the first patrol mission (haven't tried the others yet) and the fact that patrols reappear in the mission journal (also in the Delta arc), my reactions would be less positive. But this episode is great.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Although not a fan of Discovery for a variety of reasons the mission is not all that bad. You can do the pool thing in two to three trips. I also kind of like some of the patrols. There not as long as a TFO and mission but tie into the story quite a bit hopefully in the future when new story lines start we can get more patrols related to the story at that time. However the rewards could be slightly better imo
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2019
    you would need to have the eyesight of a cat to be able to see that​​
    Mostly /renderscale 2 and watching the cutscene run like an asthmatic snail, actually.

Though while I had my ideas on how she got the classified info (either S31, being very high in the Starfleet Command hierarchy or having some hacking experience), STO gamepedia mentioned a possible Section 31 connection so I checked again to see if it was just speculation on their part as so far, only S31 can flip the bird at Starfleet High Command restrictions, or if the LCARS actually wasn't unreadable rubbish.
    #TASforSTO
  • sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    The new episode has a perfect backdrop for amazing screenshots!

YfP35xT.jpg
    1xe027q.png
  • tharilion#8359 tharilion Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I was happy to see Captain Shon and the Enterprise in this, but I see him appearing only for the last few seconds. I think it depends on how fast you kill the last wave of enemies and if you are too fast the Enterprise won't spawn.

But honestly, why couldn't the Andorian Captain in the story just be replaced by Shon and the Enterprise? Nothing against new characters but I would like to see existent NPCs and especially the Enterprise more often as cameos.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Playing this for the first time, I couldn't help but think the entire time, and now every time I play it.

NPC: "If the mushrooms are destroyed it could end all life, everywhere."

Me:"So, this has been one long bad trip, and we have to save this magic mushroom to keep it going? Great! Just, great."

NPC: "Baby phone booths are pretty tough."

Me: "It's a phone booth, what did you expect?"

NPC: "The Elachi have the sickness!"

Me: "This is what happens when you do to many drugs."

At some point, I even started expecting a D.A.R.E. officer to pop up and give a class on why drugs are bad. But, alas, this never happened. The whole thing just feels like I'm a druglord protecting my territory.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    But honestly, why couldn't the Andorian Captain in the story just be replaced by Shon and the Enterprise? Nothing against new characters but I would like to see existent NPCs and especially the Enterprise more often as cameos.
    Because we needed a
    S31 clearance
    to have the correct memories for Holo!Stamets, so it needed to be a
    S31 agent
    and Shon is too nice to be one.
    And if we had had
    Drake
    , our character would have gone "Awww, tribble, here we go again..." or "NOPE! I'm outta that tribble!".

#TASforSTO
    starswordc wrote: »
    Are you actually incapable of telling the difference between "different" as in "smells funny", "different" as in "believes something different", and "different" as in "biologically required to kill and forcibly transform intelligent beings in order to reproduce"?

Or are you just trying to pick a fight with me because you consider trolling random people on the Internet the best fun ever?
    The point was that treating a species as "non-negotiably inhuman monsters" for something that is part of their biology, and that is beyond their ability to control, is idiocy, and antithetical to the very meaning of Trek.

Its like saying the Devidians are evil because they have to eat neural energy to survive, so we shouldn't try to make contact with them, and find some sort of way to coexist, we should just kill them all because "MUH MONSTERS"

If there was some technology that allowed the Devidians to consume neural energy without having to harm the host... why not? Same thing with the Kobali. Hell, they could probably get many willing volunteers by pointing out people can essentially get a second life with them. The newest episode shows Elachification can be reverted, or changed, so the original organisms memories can be returned to them. Depending how how intact the Elachi need the original body to be, there's probably plenty of people within the literally trillions of sentient lifeforms within known space who would take the Elachi up on the offer because they suffer from sort of incurable illness, or full body paralysis, that renders their lives miserable, but doesn't affect an Elachified body.

The only reason we are hostile to them is because we currently lack the technology, or communication, to find another way. There is nothing inherent about their nature that makes co-existing with them impossible unless you simply chose to not try. And just writing them off as non-negotiable inhuman monsters is lazy.

The key word here is "willing".
    The Elachi didn't gave anyone a choice. Same as the Kobali - with the only difference being that the Kobali at least had the good sense of transforming those there were already dead (except the Vaadwaur, but meh) - and it took a war that almost destroyed them and their world for them to see that there was a better way, which was to simply ask.
    And under what circumstance is "we kidnapped you and Elachified you against your will, but ehi! You can retain your memories!" even remotely ok?
    It's actually worse than being Kobalified/Elachified without retaining your memories, because at least then you DON'T REMEMBER, and you can't miss what you don't remember.
    Not to mention what happen when you are subjected - against your will, no less! - to something like that and still remembers.
    Hello, Voyager anyone? Hell, even Dust to Dust in STO is a perfect example of why that's TRIBBLE up and how it can effectively make you go TRIBBLE crazy.

But sure, let's just not be "lazy" and find a way to co-exist with them.
    Nevermind the fact that going around abducting people against their will IS what makes co-existing with them impossible, whether you chose to try or not.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also it's shown that Elachi-fication is well... horrible since you're conscious the whole time. You don't physically suffer when Kobali-fied, since you're too dead to feel pain.

My spin on it would be that this is something only corrupted Elachi do. Thus normal Elachi would use a different method of reproduction.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    except the elachi we fight all through the romulan arc ARE the normal elachi - the corrupted ones are brand new - i.e. they only started becoming corrupted after j'ula started TRIBBLE with the mycelial network by launching those probes into it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    except the elachi we fight all through the romulan arc ARE the normal elachi - the corrupted ones are brand new - i.e. they only started becoming corrupted after j'ula started TRIBBLE with the mycelial network by launching those probes into it​​

Or both types of Elachi could be corrupted ones, just corrupted in different ways. The Elachi who were minions of the Iconians look nothing like these new ones for instance.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If the elachi are native to the Mushroom Kingom, eating people obviously can't be their original mode of reproduction since there are no people there to eat.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    If the elachi are native to the Mushroom Kingom, eating people obviously can't be their original mode of reproduction since there are no people there to eat.
    Exactly what I was getting at. Also they didn't start out locking people into pods when reproducing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @fruitvendor12 said:
    > (Quote)
    > When will we hear more about the CBS All Access subscription giveaway? At least 1,000 free subs should do it. Not sure if that doubles current subscribership or not.

Current subscriber numbers are over 4 Million people. Take your trolling elsewhere.

How did you come up with that? CBS hasn't released numbers for All Access. They did release combined numbers for All Access and Showtime, which was 6 million. Is it your contention that All Access garnered 4 million viewers and Showtime only 2 million? Showtime has far more compelling content than All Access. "Discovery" is that one egg that AA has in it's basket and it's not a fresh egg at that.

If your perception comes from Parrot Analytics then I have to let you know before you jump that it's not scientific nor is it accurate in how it counts the popularity of any show.
This discussion has been closed.