test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best OS? Windows, Steam, or Ubuntu?

bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
I am not exactly having the best of luck on Windows, so I am debating installing either Steam OS and run it through its enabler or go with Ubuntu and run it through POL. Guess my first strategy is try out steam OS see how it fairs, if that doesn't work well I might try Ubuntu. and if that fails, not sure what else to do. Currently I cannot run the game on windows it keeps freezing the screen. I have a lot of time so I don't mind tinkering with this. But this might be a long night Lol!!

Current System is i5
4gb ram
Intel HD 4600 GPU

unfortunately I tossed the Nvidia I had to many issues involving this PC and them. My PC might be a Lemon but I try my best to make Lemonade.

If anyone Can let me know best Scenario for OS that would help a lot. Thanks!!

EDIT: Really Wish Arc had an OS I would make the switch pretty fast. Just to play their games.
klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
Post edited by bcstar on

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,632 Arc User
    Windows 10 is the best bet. If you're having STO issues on a given machine, adding an API interpretation layer is very un-likely to help, as STO uses features that are only barely functional under WINE or Proton.

With that low of iGPU, try turning off Lighting 2.0 if you haven't already, it'll break things (like DS9's lighting) but should get you half decent framerates.
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    Ok thanks!! Uh Although I am currently patching in SteamOS and its quite fast DL. ill see how it does if I come across to many issues ill switch back! Thanks again!

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,498 Arc User
    Only having 4 GB RAM might be your problem with Windows. SteamOS might use less RAM or might handle disk-as-RAM better so it's worth a try.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Ugh, I would never touch steam os.
    Yeah SteamOS is a no go, black screen of doom! when trying to launch, so next. going to Try Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. oh and I made a mistake I have 8gb of ram.... LOL getting old and forgetful I guess..

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,947 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    adding an API interpretation layer is very un-likely to help
    I've given up on this sort of thing. Even on a Mac Windows 10 runs this game best by far versus Wine and others.
    Only having 4 GB RAM might be your problem with Windows
    I'm idling at over 4 GB with other programs running. Try running just STO and closing other programs.

Being graphics limited seems to be the root issue though.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    clean install nvidia driver ,and save mode the game without arc

my device is similar!

2,60 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4210M
    16294 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    SSD 120+
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 \ NVIDIA GeForce 840M
    I don't have a Nvidia GPU however, Ubuntu I can play but resolution sucks and the graphics wont stop flickering, last ditch effort to try Sparky-Linux otherwise back to SteamOS for me and LOTRO until it will one day work on SteamOS

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,210 Community Moderator
    /Moved
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Thanks! so to update this, I Reinstalled SteamOS seems that the Intel HD 4600 is no longer supported either by the Client or Steam itself, so I had to go digging in some Boxes and found my Nvidia 960, currently updating the SteamOS I will see how it fairs

• trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    It should work well. I'm still using an old Geforce 660 and it runs STO without any problems under Linux. As others have mentioned though - 4GB is very little memory these days. The 64-bit STO client can easily allocate this by its own after running for a while. 8GB should be a minimum for you.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
    What Linux Distro are you using and how are you installing the game? is it through play on Linux or simply just wine? I actually have 8gb of ram forgot I had that much and I just put in my 960. would much rather use Linux than windows just cant seem to get it working right...

• trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    bcstar wrote: »
    What Linux Distro are you using and how are you installing the game? is it through play on Linux or simply just wine? I actually have 8gb of ram forgot I had that much and I just put in my 960. would much rather use Linux than windows just cant seem to get it working right...

I use Gentoo but I wouldn't generally recommend it unless you're technically knowledged and willing to put many hours into tweaking your system and learning.

I run STO directly from wine-staging and I only add the DXVK patch through winetricks for added graphics performance. No other settings necessary. I have a separate WINEPREFIX in my home folder for it so I don't mess it up with other Windows programs.

cd ~/sto1/drive_c/Program\ Files/Cryptic\ Studios && WINEPREFIX=~/sto1 WINEDEBUG=-all wine Star\ Trek\ Online.exe
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Unbuntu 18.x and wine 3.0 and higher ver run at me well with sto !
  • volticuavolticua Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    try some console command in client, such as:
    /renderScale Sets the percentage of the display resolution to render the 3D world at (like 0.1- 2.0)
    /perFrameSleep Adds a per-frame sleep to artificially reduce CPU/GPU usage to help with overheating (will also slow the game down)
    and some other which still work. it's can help to optimize game.
    pm if need more console command
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    As the others, I'd say 4 GB RAM is going to be most problematic. I played STO on WIN10 and Linux Mint with 4 GB, and it was crashy. Worse on Win than on Linux. Space was tolerable, but ground was murder and crash-guaranteed.

After doubling that to 8 GB, STO doesn't crash on Win or Linux (although I have a different distro now, PCLOS).

I installed it through Play On Linux.