test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance

Why does scheduled maintenance always take place at the same times. So for Europe when people are just getting home from school or work. Meaning no game time for that day.
Why cant the maintenance times be rotated. So its not the same gamers who suffer all of the time.

Answers

• richsimmons71richsimmons71 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    kev#9172 wrote: »
    Why does scheduled maintenance always take place at the same times. So for Europe when people are just getting home from school or work. Meaning no game time for that day.
    Why cant the maintenance times be rotated. So its not the same gamers who suffer all of the time.

I would assume it's the same time range for consistency. There's never gonna be a perfect time for everyone, and switching it around would be difficult to implement.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I also think I recall them mentioning that the patches are always first thing in the morning, Cryptic's local time. Otherwise they'd have to call in the devs at random times. This way, there's hands on deck to manage the update and immediately address big issues if they come up.
  • sharmutashlikha#2072 sharmutashlikha Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    chipg7 wrote: »
    I also think I recall them mentioning that the patches are always first thing in the morning, Cryptic's local time. Otherwise they'd have to call in the devs at random times. This way, there's hands on deck to manage the update and immediately address big issues if they come up.

This. Should be a matter of FCT, in my opinion.

Edit: It is a F.C.T. topic:
    3) Scheduled Maintenance Downtimes

This comes up quite often with people asking why downtime is always at the same time and why can't it be done at some other time of day. The reason is very simple - the server population is at a low point during those hours, and it is close to the time that Developers come in to the office.

Do realize, though, that Unscheduled Maintenance (example - crashes) and Emergency Maintenance windows are unpredictable and can happen at ANYTIME.

NOTE: The Cryptic Studios offices are in California, so they operate during standard business hours in the Pacific Time Zone. PST: Pacific Standard Time (early November to mid-March) is UTC-8 / PDT: Pacific Daylight Time (mid-March to early November) is UTC-7
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    kev#9172 wrote: »
    Because that's when the people doing the maintenance are at work.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    No matter what time of day they do it someone will be inconvenienced. This is covered under FCT. Please refer to that list before making threads in the future. /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.