test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game crashes a lot since last major update

The game keeps crashing. I contacted support and the first thing they suggested was to turn down the graphics settings on my game. I'd be perfectly happy with that if not for 3 things:

1. Game crashes on the launcher, before I have actually loaded into the game.
2. Game crashes in low CPU i.e. not so graphic intense settings including but not restricted to:
i. My settings menu
ii. Space dock while I am inactive or afk
iii. Most pop up screens like the reputation tab, character sheet, ship management and customisation screens
3. The longer I am logged in to the game the less likely it is to crash. I've crashed 4 times in the space of an hour but after being logged in to the game for several hours the game will only crash once every couple of hours.

I made sure STO and ARC were both added to my list of firewall exceptions, I ran a force repair on the launcher and I uninstalled the game and did a complete reinstall. Non of this has had any effect. I did also do as suggested and lowered my graphics settings, alas as I mentioned before, lowering graphics settings will do bugger all to stop the game from crashing the launcher before you have even logged in.

Comments

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    Have you turned off On-Demand Patching and checked off Force-Verify in the Options section of the launcher? Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    turn off On-Demand Patching ,launch without arc and in save mode ,disable steam. if not helps ,clean install graphic driver
  • Options
    xyan2xyan2 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    This can have a lot of reasons. Test your account on another computer to exclude corrupt account data.
    If this problem is related to your PC a crashlog or dump is mendatory when you miss a reproducible description.
  • Options
    darthpeachy#4393 darthpeachy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    turn off On-Demand Patching ,launch without arc and in save mode ,disable steam. if not helps ,clean install graphic driver

Didnt know about turning off on demand patching. Have done that now, how do I launch without Arc? I cannot find a setting for that anywhere. I downloaded the game direct so although I have steam Im not using it to run STO
  • Options
    garaks31 wrote: »

Didnt know about turning off on demand patching. Have done that now, how do I launch without Arc? I cannot find a setting for that anywhere. I downloaded the game direct so although I have steam Im not using it to run STO

In order to launch without Arc, find the Star Trek Online launcher in the directory where you installed it on your PC, then create a shortcut on desktop for it and/or put it on the toolbar if you have Windows 10. Then you can play STO through the launcher instead of Arc. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    darthpeachy#4393 darthpeachy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Well that did it. I went into my installation folder and put a shortcut to the client executable file on my desktop. I've had two crashes today and one was because my router had a spasm. Thanks for that suggestion, it really helped. Hopefully the same solution will work just as well for other people.
  • Options
    Well that did it. I went into my installation folder and put a shortcut to the client executable file on my desktop. I've had two crashes today and one was because my router had a spasm. Thanks for that suggestion, it really helped. Hopefully the same solution will work just as well for other people.

You are welcome. :)