test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Awakening Appears September 10th!

12346»

Comments

• shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Anyone notice the the Enterprise has reverted back to its old Oddy skin and not its refit skin
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I would say that 'Briars' and 'Sentinal' were pretty similar in time to run with Sentinel seeming to be quicker as you don't have to contend with all that Metreon Gas nonsense.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    However, red card for making the Boff have no distinctive features to make him interesting to have as a space or ground Boff:
    -no unique trait
    -not a single customization, not even colors or removing adding parts, NOTHING.
    *points at Breen Boff*
    Comparing something from 2010 to something from 2019, really? Let's no go all new Epic Games Store Vs old Steam, please.
    Pretty much every boff that doesn't use the standard character model is uncustomizable.
    The Kobali and Gorn can be customized, the Hierarchy used to, the DSC Klingon has primitive customization (and a bugged one at that, too), the DSC cyborg has a few, too, and even if others aren't customizable, they still have special traits to compensate.

In fact, pretty much every Boff that isn't part of the playable species has a special trait. Breen, Hierarchy, Reman & Jem'Hadar (back when they weren't playable), Kobali, Borg, Voth, Xindi-Reptilian, Talaxian, Aenar, K-13 survivors, Kentari, Lukari, Krenim, Cyborg and even the DSC Klingon, all have at least one unique trait.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    I would say that 'Briars' and 'Sentinal' were pretty similar in time to run with Sentinel seeming to be quicker as you don't have to contend with all that Metreon Gas nonsense.
    If they were playable... for me. Sentinel was only playable after restarting the game after I returned a couple of hours after it was bugged and the next mission isnt even letting me in to continue the bugged first wave.
  • lexers615#4253 lexers615 Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    Am I the only one to seriously dislike Mycelial Realm???
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Also, they've removed the countdown for the FTFO. I understand that there's more than one piece of "content" you can do to get the points, but still. Would've been nice to keep something similar.

Hopefully, it's just an oversite and they'll add a countdown timer back. Even under the old Reputation based system, whenever they added a totally new TFO (and weren't repeating one they had done previously); they had to create a new countdown timer for it to add it to the list. We'll see.

Let's hope. It was a nice feature.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Also, they've removed the countdown for the FTFO. I understand that there's more than one piece of "content" you can do to get the points, but still. Would've been nice to keep something similar.​​
    If you're referring to the daily event progress cooldown, that's displayed in the event UI.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Also, they've removed the countdown for the FTFO. I understand that there's more than one piece of "content" you can do to get the points, but still. Would've been nice to keep something similar.
    If you're referring to the daily event progress cooldown, that's displayed in the event UI.

Except it's not:
    3adASEt.jpg​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    edited September 2019

Except it's not:
    3adASEt.jpg​​
    Then bug report it, because it is for me:
    UhyRfzk.jpg
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I only havve 4 characters left on my account and all of them have counters. Factions in question Romulan/fed - Reman / kling - TNG - Kling. I cannot test temporal, Jem'hadar or discovery for all those were just deleted in the last week.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, I tested out Argala today through the new Interface. 4/5 is no longer possible. If you leave, even before completing it, the 30 Minute timer does start.

I need to verify but I believe these Delta Patrols aren't generating the Daily Bonus Mark boxes as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    NONE of the patrols give daily mark boxes, so apparently it's intentional...and i won't be touching the system beyond what i need for event credit - no pay, no slay​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I've opened a ticket about the missing counter, so let's hope it gets resolved fast.
    Also, none of the new patrols award Dilithium.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Over all i don't see much if anything wrong with the event or new items.

The staff in this addition to the lobi store feels lack luster for damage at range to me.
    May be its more of a hand weapon as a sniper gun so who knows.
    But being electric damage it seams off that it is needing a remod vs Borg compared to other weapons that don't need it of the same damage type is this a oversight? Or as intended?

I do see that this system is placed i am thinking for the best as each event can be tailor made in length, day cap, point cost, and so on.

Most changes i see are parts to limit or stop some player actions.

No more endless run one patrol to level a ship and then be finished with it.
    No more stocking up on event items just to skip events.
    No more stacking projects in events to get to at some future point and may never do.
    No more circle replenishing of zen, dil, keys, lobi.

My ruff math and take on the reward part of ore --->
    (137,500 dil available if you only run the 20 days and then all ten left after the event.)
    (If you buy out at 6k zen and run all 30 days 637,500 is the limit on dil at least from the event)
    (At current dil prices around 410 to 420 each zen taking the buy out amount you can earn back only 1,219 zen)
    (at the dil of just the ten days at 410 each nets 335 zen)
    (So a person running 3 toons in a event made 12'500 more dil ore.)
    (One that took 10 or more thru net 500k ore and up depending on how many toons.)
    <--- end of my take on math and event.
    So in my limited view i think the dil sink has been found by removing the large influx to start with. And in this system as far as i can see they can alter the amounts possible in every event.

Some i can see will not like this. But it means you must pick different content to do in order to get dil on all these alts. Who knows it may drive people to hit random and stick it out in a map ground or not. This is just my 2 ec on the changes so far.

I can also agree that replacing polished content of old mission's are not 100% new. So for me feel free to tell me those old missions you like guess what its polished up and back in game. Even sans some special reward i look forward to there return.

Over all it looks nice i enjoy the view in the mission. TFO was i think a new mechanic as i don't remember us needing to have a pet follow us to have dinner. Could be wrong there in any case i kind of liked it. as to the rest well still testing.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    The counter is not completely missing for some and there for others, it seems to be unstable and reloading the game makes another throw of the dice for whether it is present or not. Or at least it seems that way with only a few logins so far to judge by.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Well, I tested out Argala today through the new Interface. 4/5 is no longer possible. If you leave, even before completing it, the 30 Minute timer does start.
    I need to verify but I believe these Delta Patrols aren't generating the Daily Bonus Mark boxes as well.
    I think they may have just kicked themselves in the groin (shot themselves in the foot?) with Argala 4/5 no longer being possible. The game relies upon transactions as a business. Selling ships and ship packs up to and including mega-bundles and expansion packs is a big part of that. There's most likely players out there who need one or more Tier 5 ship mastery traits on multiple toons after making a transaction. This would also be applicable for new toons who'd need multiple mastery's. In other words they'd like the mastery traits from the shiny new ships they purchased in a realistic amount of time so that they can make use of said traits as part of their builds in other areas of the game.

I realize that other things that weren't giving ship xp now do and the appropriate combination of these other things will now have to suffice, but 'you just purchased a bunch of new ships but won't get to experience their full capabilities for an even longer time now because timers' seems silly to me at least. It's all about balance, and of course your sense of balance, my own, and theirs is going to vary. From my perspective, the grind factor in this particular area just went up.
    Indeed.
    edited September 2019
    (double post removed)
    edited September 2019
    protoneous wrote: »
    I think they may have just kicked themselves in the groin (shot themselves in the foot?) with Argala 4/5 no longer being possible. The game relies upon transactions as a business. Selling ships and ship packs up to and including mega-bundles and expansion packs is a big part of that. There's most likely players out there who need one or more Tier 5 ship mastery traits on multiple toons after making a transaction. This would also be applicable for new toons who'd need multiple mastery's. In other words they'd like the mastery traits from the shiny new ships they purchased in a realistic amount of time so that they can make use of said traits as part of their builds in other areas of the game.

I realize that other things that weren't giving ship xp now do and the appropriate combination of these other things will now have to suffice, but 'you just purchased a bunch of new ships but won't get to experience their full capabilities for an even longer time now because timers' seems silly to me at least. It's all about balance, and of course your sense of balance, my own, and theirs is going to vary. From my perspective, the grind factor in this particular area just went up.
    Indeed.

I noticed in the reward detail floater that the event stuff gives double experience, if that carries over to ship experience it may be part of their move towards more variety by encouraging people to do the events to level ships quicker instead of the abort/reset exploit.

As for the new content itself, it is ok and even the recycled stuff has more polish so it is an improvement.

Their push for more voice acting really helps the atmosphere and hassle-factor of the game compared to the old practice of only one spoken tag line and silent text, though they could do with a bit of polish on that too.

One minor annoyance is that while Kuumaarke (my favorite questgiver so far) sets the Lukari accent as that RP-like one the new Lukari captain of one of the two rescued ships in "Rescue and Search" sounds just like his Kentari counterpart accent-wise. Some consistency would be nice. And yes, it is possible that Kuumaarke is actually speaking Federation Standard so her natural accent comes though and the others are all translated (which is a popular fan theory about why some characters have anomalous accents in the shows), but still, it would sound more realistic and add some depth if the others at least tried to follow Kipleigh Brown's lead for the Lukari.

The sound mixing seemed a bit off in the new scenarios too. Nothing really bad, but noticeable.

Indeed.
    I noticed in the reward detail floater that the event stuff gives double experience, if that carries over to ship experience it may be part of their move towards more variety by encouraging people to do the events to level ships quicker instead of the abort/reset
    If this is the case or if ship xp being added to other areas of the game that previously gave none makes the ship leveling experience the rough equivalent of what it was before that would be great. Thanks for pointing that out.

I wrote what I did from the perspective of a player with about a dozen mains plus other toons who plans on purchasing 2-3 more mega-bundles at this time. I'd rather not have to character or ship limit myself should new game design elements increase 'time to accomplish requirements' that exceed my own personal tolerance.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    It's not just for Events. The new Patrols in general now grant double XP including Starship Mastery.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Thanks. I appreciate you confirming that.

Indeed.

I noticed in the reward detail floater that the event stuff gives double experience, if that carries over to ship experience it may be part of their move towards more variety by encouraging people to do the events to level ships quicker instead of the abort/reset exploit.

That's not encouraging, that's forcing. And it was not an exploit: the system worked exactly as intended. And was especially important when STFs weren't giving out XP/ship XP.
    Now they changed it because they didn't like people getting to enjoy what they PAID for quicker than they wanted them to.
    As for the new content itself, it is ok and even the recycled stuff has more polish so it is an improvement.

Their push for more voice acting really helps the atmosphere and hassle-factor of the game compared to the old practice of only one spoken tag line and silent text, though they could do with a bit of polish on that too.

The new content is made of a LOT of recycled stuff, so can it be really new?
    And I'll gladly do without the voice acting, so that the money needed to pay for it could go to other, more important things, like bug-fixing (and maybe to buy some new machines, because man... the lag just keep getting worse).
    One minor annoyance is that while Kuumaarke (my favorite questgiver so far) sets the Lukari accent as that RP-like one the new Lukari captain of one of the two rescued ships in "Rescue and Search" sounds just like his Kentari counterpart accent-wise. Some consistency would be nice. And yes, it is possible that Kuumaarke is actually speaking Federation Standard so her natural accent comes though and the others are all translated (which is a popular fan theory about why some characters have anomalous accents in the shows), but still, it would sound more realistic and add some depth if the others at least tried to follow Kipleigh Brown's lead for the Lukari.

The sound mixing seemed a bit off in the new scenarios too. Nothing really bad, but noticeable.

Agreed. Then again, consistency has never been great in the whole franchise, so I never expected the game to be better than the shows/movies.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Is the elachi ship accout unlock once you do this or do you have to unlock it on each character?
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    Since you tried both Briars and Sentinels, what do you think is quicker?​​

Sentinels by far since there is no invisible timer. However, now that they've fixed the boss elachi at the end of the TFO, it is about 5 minutes faster for the daily to just do the TFO twice then doing the mission + patrol, or 4 patrols or TFO + 2 patrols.

What I don't get is why the ship starts out at 6000 zen if you want to bypass doing this whole event. You have to do 1/2 the event JUST to get the price down to a normally priced T6 ship.

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    lhoygow wrote: »
    Since you tried both Briars and Sentinels, what do you think is quicker?​​

Sentinels by far since there is no invisible timer. However, now that they've fixed the boss elachi at the end of the TFO, it is about 5 minutes faster for the daily to just do the TFO twice then doing the mission + patrol, or 4 patrols or TFO + 2 patrols.

What I don't get is why the ship starts out at 6000 zen if you want to bypass doing this whole event. You have to do 1/2 the event JUST to get the price down to a normally priced T6 ship.
    <insert classic "But it's not just the ship you get more stuff with it which justifies why it's twice more expensive!" stupid "excuse">

And I imagine this is how they'll try to get away with this during other events.

"Yes, we know this rifle used to cost 1,000 zen and 4 more days to get with the buyout! But the rewards include a tribble and non-universal upgrades! That totally justifies the starting 3,000 zen cost!"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    robeasom wrote: »
    Is the elachi ship accout unlock once you do this or do you have to unlock it on each character?

It's an account-wide unlock, just like the Winter/Summer ship tiger-40.gif​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    but couldn't a species like the Dosi be playable under the various fields (TAC/ENG/SCI)? Why couldn't a Vorta be designed to be better on the ground, even if it did mean they'd need to wear binoculars because of their poor vision.
    Because that isn't how the Dominion works.
    Because everything else in STO works as you'd expect it in Trek? I think not. :/

attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    but couldn't a species like the Dosi be playable under the various fields (TAC/ENG/SCI)? Why couldn't a Vorta be designed to be better on the ground, even if it did mean they'd need to wear binoculars because of their poor vision.
    Because everything else in STO works as you'd expect it in Trek? I think not. :/
    I kinda think that the fact the player character is Team Odo that it'd make sense for a bit of leeway there. Also... in the TV show EVERY Dominion ship had a Vorta telling the Jem'hadar what to do. Whether or not you'd consider that to be the role of captain is a bit subjective. But ultimately it was the Vorta who made the important decisions.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I kinda think that the fact the player character is Team Odo that it'd make sense for a bit of leeway there. Also... in the TV show EVERY Dominion ship had a Vorta telling the Jem'hadar what to do. Whether or not you'd consider that to be the role of captain is a bit subjective. But ultimately it was the Vorta who made the important decisions.
    Which would be the role of some NPC, then. Since the role of the player character is to pilot the ship and shoot things, not make important decisions.
    Which would be the role of some NPC, then. Since the role of the player character is to pilot the ship and shoot things, not make important decisions.

No, the role of the player character is to command the ship. They are the captains, not the helmsmen, not the gunners, not the engineers. The fact that the player has to fly, shoot, scan, and press the buttons to do all the other functions is a game mechanics thing, not what is happening on the story level.