test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SRO and ground skills

neverland#4941 neverland Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Hello!
Could You please help and answer my two questions?
1) Where can I find and buy bridge officers that are called SRO?
2) Which ground skills would You recommend to take (I mean those ground skills that are to the right from the space skills folder) for a tactical officer?

Comments

• Options
    alnitekalnitek Member Posts: 36 Arc User
  • Options
    alnitekalnitek Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    That link isn't working, but it's Superior Romulan Operative. It's a Romulan trait that (at the superior level) grants +2% critical chance, +5% critical severity, and +15%recharge speed for cloaking, though IIRC the cloak recharge part itself won't stack
  • Options
    vaewenvaewen Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    alnitek wrote: »
    That link isn't working, but it's Superior Romulan Operative. It's a Romulan trait that (at the superior level) grants +2% critical chance, +5% critical severity, and +15%recharge speed for cloaking, though IIRC the cloak recharge part itself won't stack

LOL I guess reading comprehension is hard. He did NOT ask what is an SRO
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Now on how to get a Boff with the SRO trait. If you are playing a Romulan Republic character then you have a chance to get a Boff with that trait from any Romulan Boff recruiting Doff assignment.
    Or you can purchase them off the exchange. They used to be quite pricey but currently seem reasonable. Also - check to see if any boffs owed via the level up process have the SRO trait.
    If you are not playing a RR character the you have only 1 option to get 1 Boff with SRO. Join a Fleet with a Maxed out Embassy, and buy the Blue quality Male Romulan Tac Boff from the store in Ops, and that is it.
    Non-romulans can only get SRO tactical officers so if you have two tactical boff slots on your ship you can fill those with SRO's. The number of tactical boff slots on your ship is the only limiting factor.
    Which ground skills would You recommend to take (I mean those ground skills that are to the right from the space skills folder) for a tactical officer?
    Would this be for yourself as a player or for a tactical away team bridge officer?

Edit: you do realize that SRO is a space only trait and there are better options for your away team?
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    protoneous wrote: »
    Edit: you do realize that SRO is a space only trait and there are better options for your away team?

I was about to ask this as well, OP you're aware that 'Superior Romulan Operative' does nothing on the ground right?

As far as where to acquire SRO Boffs, that's been covered.. if you're a Romulan, the easiest way by far is the exchange. They're not very expensive because the supply is moderately high right now. If you're a Romulan, it's best to buy a Superior Romulan Operative for all of your bridge stations in space. Just remember you don't have to buy purple BoFF's. There are Rare (Blue) Romulan Officers for sale on the exchange that also have the Superior Romulan Operative trait. The trait is exactly the same on a Very Rare officer that is on a Rare. I only really recommend trying to get VR officers for your ground team.

2) Which ground skills would You recommend to take (I mean those ground skills that are to the right from the space skills folder) for a tactical officer?

Are you asking how to spend your character points from leveling up? If so, then this is my suggested template for Tactical Officers. You can click on the Skills tab to see how I have spent my space and ground skills. I have also filled out my Bridge Officer skill layout if that's what you're looking for.

The usual disclaimer applies, this is what I personally like and have found to be most effective. The link to my template in no way suggests that my way is the 'correct' way or the 'only' way to do things. It's provided for reference only, please feel free to use as much or as little of it as you wish.

Thanks.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Thank you all for the detailed answers.
    Yeah, I really used to think that SRO is a boff, not a trait. Thanks for your explanations.
    I bought SROs as a Romulan via the exchange but for a human character SROs appear to refuse to become bridge officers (if I look at them at the exchange).

As for the ground traits... Yeah, I just meant those ones that are received from levelling up. Some players advise to choose more health. And also I see players with 400+ health points when playing the missions.

I could make a suggestion that it's your weapon that mostly determines your ground build.
    Any thougts for the three different types of weapons?

I also attach a screenshot of a player's away team which I hope to use. That player uses assault weapon.
    2315c8dc032d.png
    623fe0c7d01dt.jpg
    Post edited by neverland#4941 on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Thank you all for the detailed answers.
    Yeah, I really used to think that SRO is a boff, not a trait. Thanks for your explanations.
    I bought SROs as a Romulan via the exchange but for a human character SROs appear to refuse to become bridge officers (if I look at them at the exchange).
    For a FED character Romulan's boffs purchased via the exchange are the wrong faction so you can't use them (just like you can't use KDF boffs as a Federation aligned player). Try using the 'show usable items only' filter. As Azrael explained above, as a Fed you'd have to be a member of a fleet with an appropriately leveled Embassy to get the blue male tactical romulan boffs with the SRO trait. The vendor can be found in the Ops level of the Fleet Embassy.
    As for the ground traits... Yeah, I just meant those ones that are received from leveling up. Some players advise to choose more health. And also I see players with 400+ health points when playing the missions.
    Ah, so it's ground traits you're referring to and not ground skill tree points. It would help a little if you could share whether you're playing a tac, eng, or science character as each discipline has a couple of unique traits that come in handy. Beyond those there's nothing wrong with a little more health, combined with a good balance of both offensive and defensive ground traits. Sometimes a good offense is the best defense.
    I could make a suggestion that it's your weapon that mostly determines your ground build.
    I can't entirely agree with this.
    Any thoughts for the three different types of weapons?
    For doing missions I usually use a split beam (exploit) with my other weapon being a pulsewave (expose). Try different things to see what works best for you and your play style. Romulans also have a trait that increases plasma ground weapon damage as do Romulan boffs.
    I also attach a screenshot of a player's away team which I hope to use.
    Away team preferences are a very individual thing. For myself I like to move fast, so my engineering boffs wouldn't be using any shield or medical generators in most circumstances. Mortars are important, turrets are good, and I'd replace re-route power to shields with shield recharge (which can also be used on other away team members), and use weapons malfunction instead of mine barrier.

Having a science healer is important as well, but science boff offensive abilities are very powerful on the ground also.

For tactical boffs both target optics and battle strategies are good staples.

I have several of my away team carry full auto's of different energy types, as they have a relatively quick cool down on their secondary fire combined with good range. Again, tastes vary and it's your away team so use what you feel works best for you and how you like to play.
    Post edited by protoneous on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Ah, so it's ground traits you're referring to and not ground skill tree points. It would help a little if you could share whether you're playing a tac, eng, or science character as each discipline has a couple of unique traits that come in handy.

I'm playing a tac char.
    The vendor can be found in the Ops level of the Fleet Embassy.
    Very much obliged :smile:
    Ah, so it's ground traits you're referring to and not ground skill tree points.
    I mean these:

0f6b44a1f53c.jpg
    Post edited by neverland#4941 on
  • Options
    Ok. So those are ground skill points. Sea posted a link to a tactical template for skill points above which includes both space and ground skill point allocations. He's a very accomplished player and uses good gear. I use the same skill point layout he uses on several of my toons with good success.

Some might include a single point each into endurance training and armor expert but this is a matter of personal balance and taste. These points would have come at the expense of only having a single point in weapon penetration and kit efficiency.

My suggestion would be to follow his, given the number of points you have left and how you've spent them, and to immediately get two of those points into kit performance which really helps increase the effectiveness of your ground abilities.

You'll notice the disclaimer that comes with the tactical template. His point allocation is most definitely 'the best defense is a good offense' route. There's nothing wrong with that especially when play a tac.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Ok. So those are ground skill points. Sea posted a link to a tactical template for skill points above which includes both space and ground skill point allocations. He's a very accomplished player and uses good gear. I use the same skill point layout he uses on several of my toons with good success.

Some might include a single point each into endurance training and armor expert but this is a matter of personal balance and taste. These points would have come at the expense of only having a single point in weapon penetration and kit efficiency.

My suggestion would be to follow his, given the number of points you have left and how you've spent them, and to immediately get two of those points into kit performance which really helps increase the effectiveness of your ground abilities.

You'll notice the disclaimer that comes with the tactical template. His point allocation is most definitely 'the best defense is a good offense' route. There's nothing wrong with that especially when play a tac.

I see now. This seems quite reasonable. Thank You very much for Your help.
    Are you asking how to spend your character points from leveling up? If so, then this is my suggested template for Tactical Officers. You can click on the Skills tab to see how I have spent my space and ground skills. I have also filled out my Bridge Officer skill layout if that's what you're looking for.

Thank You very much for Your help. Gonna make the same.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    protoneous wrote: »

I see now. Sounds quite reasonable. Thanks a lot.

Thank You very much for Your help. Gonna make the same.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, on the link I posted, just click 'Skills' over on the left column. This will take you to the skills section open to the space skills, just click on Ground up at the top and it will show you my ground skill allocation. This is nothing special, it's just the typical allocation recommended by the DPS League. It's focused heavily on dealing damage and on reducing cooldown times for your kit modules. If there are any specific questions you have, please feel free to ask.

And thanks for the kind words protoneous, you're a pretty dang good player yourself! :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.