test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interview: Star Trek Online’s Al Rivera on Discovery’s Awakening and beyond

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

Comments

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    thx for the link :)

1 year of discovery stuff :( time for me to make a break or reduce my playtime. I don't like Discovery, and i don't have any pleasure to play the disco content, add to that the elachi nonsense.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

1 year of discovery stuff :( time for me to make a break or reduce my playtime. I don't like Discovery, and i don't have any pleasure to play the disco content, add to that the elachi nonsense.

Speaking of disco content, we need the Disco emote and not as an extremely rare Loot Crate Exclusive emote.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2019

I cross my fingers that you develop a better relationship with the other new trek shows on the horizon than you did with discovery. I for my part like discovery very much and think the new shows have some very big shoes to fill.

Despite of that… Why in the world would any of this have an influence on you being in STO? I mean the only disco things we got were some stories, some pve and ships that dont even count as we got 25th centuries skins as alternatives. The game is easy enough to avoid content - any content – you dislike. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

I cross my fingers that you develop a better relationship with the other new trek shows on the horizon than you did with discovery. I for my part like discovery very much and think the new shows have some very big shoes to fill.

Despite of that… Why in the world would any of this have an influence on you being in STO? I mean the only disco things we got were some stories, some pve and ships that dont even count as we got 25th centuries skins as alternatives. The game is easy enough to avoid content - any content – you dislike. ;)

Speaking for myself here, since I'm one of those that really dislike Discovery, I'm gonna answer your question with another question, if you'll indulge me: why should I stay in game when I know that, for the next year, any new content we'll get will be about something I couldn't care less about?
    For me, it will be just like a repeat of the great drought: nothing new to do.
    a) New patrols? Cool, except they're gonna be Disco-themed and don't really engage for more than the time it takes to play them for the first time.
    b) New STFs? Again, that could be nice... but still probably Disco-themed, so... meh.
    c) New episodes? See point b.
    The rest of the content - all of it - I've already played multiple times, on multiple toons, with all kinds of builds/ships/bridge crew/whatever you can think of. If I don't have anything to look forward to, I'm not sure there's a point in me spending the same amount of time in game I was spending before all this DSC TRIBBLE was added. In fact, I've already reduced it quite a bit.

All in all, the article didn't say anything we were not already aware of - except maybe for the duration of this new DSC content.
    Still disappointing, though. For me, at least.
    I'm very glad there's people that likes DSC and is happy with getting that kind of content in the game - after all, Star Trek goes on because of the fans, same as any other franchise - and I will never say anything bad to anyone that likes it. I'll just don't agree. DSC is a nice sci-fi show, but it's not what I imagined a new ST show would look like. And I was so looking forward to it! Shame, really. I hope Picard will be more to my tastes.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

I like discovery, for the most part. However, the interview states that STO is going to be doing disco content for at least another year. So for vet players who have already played all the game's content and don't like discovery, that means the only new content they will be getting for at least another year is about something they don't like. So yeah, I can understand where they are coming from even if I don't feel the same way myself.

TL;DR: Try thinking about things from other people's perspective instead of just your own.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I am on middle ground really

I like DSC ships and found the story decent but doesnt feel too Star Trekky on how various alien races react and strays away from the racial personalities we were used to - even Star Fleet themselves at times acts as if not following a directive.

I dont like the klingon redesign as they feel sort of fake(quality of design could better) as the head doesnt feel organic but rather being in a metal or plastic mask - I also would like to see more of strategic combat instead fast star warsy combat and at least the spot where they destroy the sarcophagus doesnt feel like a glorious battle against the most dangerous flagship at that time but rather like attacking a sitting duck. I havent seen into season 2 but I heard it was better

I do also like the costumes overall except klingon heads part

All in all probably not my favorite theme, its a mixed bag, but I am happy they keep giving us stories and making nice environments. I have read Gekos interview by the way and he seems overall to be reserved in effort not to reveal too much. I think apart from DSC based things, they will have something ready on anniversary with wider range of acceptance but seems they keep it as a surprise. Overall I am optimistic for the future
  • ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    I havent seen into season 2 but I heard it was better

Definitely check out season 2. I was "okay" with season 1, but season 2 hooked me. They addressed a fair amount of the criticism from season 1.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    ioneon wrote: »
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    I havent seen into season 2 but I heard it was better

Definitely check out season 2. I was "okay" with season 1, but season 2 hooked me. They addressed a fair amount of the criticism from season 1.

Good to know, will try to check it out
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

I like discovery, for the most part. However, the interview states that STO is going to be doing disco content for at least another year. So for vet players who have already played all the game's content and don't like discovery, that means the only new content they will be getting for at least another year is about something they don't like. So yeah, I can understand where they are coming from even if I don't feel the same way myself.

TL;DR: Try thinking about things from other people's perspective instead of just your own.

exactly. the only things interesting for me currently are the kelvin stuff, but unfortunately this content is a lockbox content.
    I cross my fingers that you develop a better relationship with the other new trek shows on the horizon than you did with discovery.

yes, me too. maybe star trek: picard will have a real star trek spirit, I wait and see. :)

• thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    I'm hoping once picard airs and is finished they will start doing stuff with that tv show.
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    S2 of discovery was nothing less than spectacular. We need anson Mount's pike in game ASAP lol
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I would not mind if they are greenlighted by cbs, a 25th century kelpian. Given once they have that character artist or something they are wanting to do more races and that Gecko was supposidly suppose to ask Cbs if he did or not that hasn't be answered yet up. Given the events of discovery season two it is likely it could happen now. Kelpians are a unique race for those that don't know about them that was added with discovery very interesting lore around them and in season two their fate was changed and I guess they were able to gain warpdrive or something.
    If they could do it that would be wonderful and it is one thing from discovery I do hope they are able to do but if they do it I hope they make the kelpians be more independent. Thus maybe a starfleet, kdf and romulan republic version of the race. The Republic needs more racial choices and the last few times they have done a race. Its just been Federation and kdf, I'm hoping they will at least include the republic for a change. As it needs more racial options for sure.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    So, here's my take on everything that Al has stated.

* Discovery for the next year: I always held the belief that when it comes to Star Trek Online, they wanted to try to toss in whatever actors they could get for content that they wanted to focus in on. When it came to Legacy of Romulus, there was no better choice than Denise Crosby playing Sela. For Delta Rising and the subsequent Iconian War, they wanted to have Voyager actors. For Agents of Yesterday, it was a mixed bag, since it featured a mix of current and past actors in Star Trek, with some that came from fan productions. Victory is Life probably had the biggest cast of people they got (9 new and 3 returning voice actors) which fit the story they were trying to tell. Discovery so far has 4 voice actors from the series with 1 guest voice in Jeffery Combs playing a descendant of Shran.

Discovery gave them an opportunity to tell stories that expanded on points not covered by Season 1 of Discovery, while bringing in new ships into the game and give them partnerships they've never had before. To me, this is something that should excite anyone regardless of whether or not they like the source material. The story is back in 2410 at least because that's where they wanted the story to go with J'Ula. We also have Mirror Tilly to look forward to after this.

* Picard's potential retcons: Given that the game is 10 years further than the Picard series setting, there are definitely things that would be retconned considering that this is actually the first canon look at what has been going post Nemesis. I have a feeling that the Picard writers have given bits and pieces to the STO devs in charge of handling STO's story, but a lot of the stuff they are holding back so that even the STO devs are surprised by it.

* Difficulty of integrating Discovery: There is some truth to what Al said when it comes to finding what they can tell in STO when it comes to Discovery. As I mentioned before, they expanded on stories on things that were left hanging from Season 1, such as Ripper and the Glenn, what happened in the attack of Starbase One, what Prime Lorca might have been like, what made Landry the way she is and what really went down with the I.S.S. Discovery and Mirror Tilly. Season 2's finale leaves a lot of open questions that they could come back to, such as the fate of the Kelpians, what happens to the Klingon Empire and Chancellor L'Rell and how Pike and the Enterprise crew fairs in the coming years (since by the time Kirk gets the ship, everyone but Spock leaves the ship).

* Headaches from all the different eras?: I thought Al was pretty much right on this. I've always felt that STO is meant to let the player live in the STO world with their character and let them take in stories that run the gamut of Star Trek history. Obviously, the direction the game's story is going right now isn't going to be for everyone, but I feel that when it comes to video games, there's no catering for one group. People can either like it or not like it.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    * Picard's potential retcons: Given that the game is 10 years further than the Picard series setting, there are definitely things that would be retconned considering that this is actually the first canon look at what has been going post Nemesis. I have a feeling that the Picard writers have given bits and pieces to the STO devs in charge of handling STO's story, but a lot of the stuff they are holding back so that even the STO devs are surprised by it.

Personally, I hope STO doesn't do any retcons due to any new Star Trek series. I have personally believed since STO was launched that STO exists in a parallel universe that has nothing to do with any future Star Trek series that takes place after Nemesis. Any future Star Trek series shouldn't restrict their creativity due to STO and vice versa.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Personally, I hope STO doesn't do any retcons due to any new Star Trek series. I have personally believed since STO was launched that STO exists in a parallel universe that has nothing to do with any future Star Trek series that takes place after Nemesis. Any future Star Trek series shouldn't restrict their creativity due to STO and vice versa.

Technically speaking, STO for the most part is non-canon and has been such for years.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png

Oh I do that! In spite of it I have trouble to understand such a position, you know. :)

How many new additions to the game I have lived through that I didn’t like. After 7 years, numerous! Entire factions of playable races I don’t care about, ship bundles that don’t interest me at all, new maps and stories with voice-overs from actors I have almost trouble to tolerate. Do I think about leaving just because of that? No, because all of those releases are but a sand corn in a greater sum that tries to capture the Star Trek Franchise was a whole within a videogame. I don’t need to play factions I don’t like, don’t need to buy ships I don’t want and can easily mute every voice and rush to every interaction I can’t stand.

No need at all to consider leaving as the stuff I do like remains present and can be consumed over and over.

Yea I get it, if one dislikes *Discovery as a whole* and is only depended on new additions to the game to stay interested one looks at a problem for a longer now. But that would mean one dislikes every actor, ever ship, every map that gets delivered and it makes me wonder if such an attitude is even appropriate for a Trek fan. Not to mention if it has any meaning for the wellbeing of this game if you are present or not then.
    animated.gif
    edited September 2019
    exactly. the only things interesting for me currently are the kelvin stuff, but unfortunately this content is a lockbox content.

Meaning? You are unwilling or unable to pay for it because you are unsatisfied with the ongoing discovery content? You are unable to grind for it because you dislike the current content and are sick of the older stuff?

All you need to do to get lock box stuff is to play admiralty, doffing and crafting. That’s what I do to get it and no Discovery is it. If you happen to like the new Kelvin toys just get it! Easy as that. :)
    animated.gif
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    “Previously we used to use the Reputation System to run events, but the system was never designed for that purpose. As a result, it was overly complicated and not very accessible.”
    To me that shows how out of touch the Devs are with the players. With the old system I could within seconds take a quick glance and know precisely how many days I had run and how many days I have left for the reward and know if I could make it before the event ended.

The new event system alongside its many disadvantages is its way more complicated and less accessible. I can no longer at a quick glance know precisely how many days I have taken part in the event nor how many days I have left before finishing. No longer at quick glance can I work out if I can make it before the event ends. Now I need to get a notepad and calculator out if I want to know all that. Yet somehow this is sold to us as more accessible, faster, better which is all false.

For someone like me who only has one active character the new system is way more complicated and less accessible with many disadvantages over the old system all for zero benefit.

Oh I do that! In spite of it I have trouble to understand such a position, you know. :)

How many new additions to the game I have lived through that I didn’t like. After 7 years, numerous! Entire factions of playable races I don’t care about, ship bundles that don’t interest me at all, new maps and stories with voice-overs from actors I have almost trouble to tolerate. Do I think about leaving just because of that? No, because all of those releases are but a sand corn in a greater sum that tries to capture the Star Trek Franchise was a whole within a videogame. I don’t need to play factions I don’t like, don’t need to buy ships I don’t want and can easily mute every voice and rush to every interaction I can’t stand.

No need at all to consider leaving as the stuff I do like remains present and can be consumed over and over.
    No offense, but just because you can't understand something it doesn't mean it has any less value.
    And we're not looking at "entire factions" (there are non but FED and KDF, btw, as even Romulans are only an half-faction, no matter how good it is), ship bundles, new maps or actors we can't stand. Those are all "one-and-be-done" kinda thing.
    We're looking at an entire YEAR of stuff we care nothing for, and the rest of the game has been played again and again and again. I've done everything in every possible way. At some point, even the things I loves most would become stale and repetitive.
    Yea I get it, if one dislikes *Discovery as a whole* and is only depended on new additions to the game to stay interested one looks at a problem for a longer now. But that would mean one dislikes every actor, ever ship, every map that gets delivered and it makes me wonder if such an attitude is even appropriate for a Trek fan. Not to mention if it has any meaning for the wellbeing of this game if you are present or not then.
    This makes absolutely no sense. I do not dislike "every actor, every ship, every map". I've simply played it all and I've got nothing to look forward to, especially NOT if I also like to play something that's not a FED/FED-aligne character.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    “Previously we used to use the Reputation System to run events, but the system was never designed for that purpose. As a result, it was overly complicated and not very accessible.”
    To me that shows how out of touch the Devs are with the players. With the old system I could within seconds take a quick glance and know precisely how many days I had run and how many days I have left for the reward and know if I could make it before the event ended.

The new event system alongside its many disadvantages is its way more complicated and less accessible. I can no longer at a quick glance know precisely how many days I have taken part in the event nor how many days I have left before finishing. No longer at quick glance can I work out if I can make it before the event ends. Now I need to get a notepad and calculator out if I want to know all that. Yet somehow this is sold to us as more accessible, faster, better which is all false.

For someone like me who only has one active character the new system is way more complicated and less accessible with many disadvantages over the old system all for zero benefit.
    ^^^
    Really? You can't divide 1200 by 60? The only real difference is the size of the numbers.

And honestly it less complicated in that you don't have to slot at the Event beforehand, nor do you have to remember to add the token you get. Also, the countdown timer is directly shown on the Event Interface window, it's not buried in a large list of other timers on a completely different menu.

So yeah, it's not more complicated per se; it's just different.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited September 2019
    By your same reasoning, I'm gonna ask you this: what's complicated in clicking 3 times (slot the project - fill in - claim reward) in 14 days? Why should I need to divide 1200 by 60, when I could just as easily do 14-NumberOfTokens?
    The countdown was not buried anywhere, because it was the first on the list. Was it positioned wrong? Yep, I can give you that. But it was easily accessible.

And just because something is not complicated for you, or for me, it doesn't mean it can't be for someone else.

You're right, though: it's different... For many that's a good thing. For just as many, it's not.
    Instead of going around assuming everyone does stuff the same way you do, why not take someone at their word when they say one thing feel more complicated TO THEM?​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Sorry to cut you off but, 'Nose', may I introduce you to 'Face'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    By your same reasoning, I'm gonna ask you this: what's complicated in clicking 3 times (slot the project - fill in - claim reward) in 14 days? Why should I need to divide 1200 by 60, when I could just as easily do 14-NumberOfTokens?
    The countdown was not buried anywhere, because it was the first on the list. Was it positioned wrong? Yep, I can give you that. But it was easily accessible.

And just because something is not complicated for you, or for me, it doesn't mean it can't be for someone else.

You're right, though: it's different... For many that's a good thing. For just as many, it's not.
    Instead of going around assuming everyone does stuff the same way you do, why not take someone at their word when they say one thing feel more complicated TO THEM?​​

Your claim was that the new system is MORE complicated. IMO - less clicks and info consolidated on ONE screen make it LESS complicated by definition.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Maybe he can go to sleep now and awaken in a year. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    1) It was not my claim;
    2) @pottsey5g clearly stated that "to them" it fels more complicated, ("to me", "I can no longer", "for someone like me").

Again, just because YOU feel in a certain way it doesn't mean everyone does it, too.
    I can agree that this is not more complicated, FOR ME, but I can't speak for everybody else.
    Come on guys, there are enough TRIBBLE in this world without the need to have them here, too.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    pottsey5g wrote: »

^^^
    Really? You can't divide 1200 by 60? The only real difference is the size of the numbers.

And honestly it less complicated in that you don't have to slot at the Event beforehand, nor do you have to remember to add the token you get. Also, the countdown timer is directly shown on the Event Interface window, it's not buried in a large list of other timers on a completely different menu.

So yeah, it's not more complicated per se; it's just different.
    Yes I can but it takes me 10x longer to work out so it is more complicated as its far more then just 1200 divided by 60 to get the information I need. The old system I could use in seconds at a quick glance. The new system even if I use it for years I will never be able to use in seconds hence my reasons on saying its more complicated and less accessible. For me its got a lot harder to use for zero benefit.

I never had a problem with the countdown trimer in the old system so I don’t see that as a benefit. All I see is a system that has been made over complicated and had a bunch of benefits stripped away for no good reason. I can no longer access the information I need in seconds in an easy to use format. That to me is a large downgrade.
    edited September 2019

No offense, but just because you can't understand something it doesn't mean it has any less value.
    And we're not looking at "entire factions" (there are non but FED and KDF, btw, as even Romulans are only an half-faction, no matter how good it is), ship bundles, new maps or actors we can't stand. Those are all "one-and-be-done" kinda thing.
    We're looking at an entire YEAR of stuff we care nothing for, and the rest of the game has been played again and again and again. I've done everything in every possible way. At some point, even the things I loves most would become stale and repetitive.
    This makes absolutely no sense. I do not dislike "every actor, every ship, every map". I've simply played it all and I've got nothing to look forward to, especially NOT if I also like to play something that's not a FED/FED-aligne character.​​

You are right with what you say and im grateful for explaining. :)

It is indeed different now as we get new stuff slowly drop by drop over two years instead of the big bags we got b4. Probably my biggest issue is that I dont care as much what part of trek we get. I'm not here for Neelix or Tilly, or the latests story for that matter. Im here to have fun with my fleetmates friends that i became to know over the years and of course the DPS league. They consume like 90% of my playtime. It does not matter there realy if we kill critters from Discovery or TNG, if we are in the Mycelium Realm or on Phavo 3. We just spend out time together and have some fun with our ship builds or with some other daily stuff. As a seasoned STO player being around all the time I probably lost my conection a bit to players who are around more on a iregular basis and for whom new releases are the main reason to log at all.

I can only say here what is whats obvious. Cryptic is commited to include it all and the days where its all about Disco will be over sooner or later. If its later I'm sorry but if some will only return when its over I can live with it just fine and will still have a great time in game no matter if I like disco or not.

animated.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If J'ula's story arc is going to take a year to finish, then it's going to take a year to finish. They aren't going to cut it short just because some people hate Discovery.

Discovery is the current Star Trek show. People are of course free to say "I don't like current Star Trek," but it's not going to stop STO from using it.
    @peterconnorfirst no, thank you for listening and answering with your own reasoning. I can get behind the "I play with my friends to have fun", I do it too. But an entire year of having to play stuff I don't like it's disheartening, no matter how many friends I have to play it with.

@warpangel You don't say. No one here expect Cryptic to go back to what's been decided - they never do, after all - we're just voicing our displeasure with it. And we certainly don't need your seal of approval to do it, nor your smartass comments that add nothing to the conversation but make unhappy people even more unhappy.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

This discussion has been closed.