test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vengeance Revamp discussion thread

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
edited September 2019 in The Art of Star Trek Online
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11245813-u.s.s.-vengeance-model-update!

Thomas and Donny, thank you for this. I got a Vengeance as a gift, but it just looks wrong to have it in regular Starfleet gray and blue and not have the name and registry number on the hull.
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
Post edited by starswordc on

Comments

• yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    Really appreciate the addition of options, especially for the traditional Starfleet decals!

Now we need some more ship parts (like a closed saucer for example). I know i want too much as always, lol.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    The original skin was starting to look really muddy. Glad its getting a newer skin.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    The original skin was starting to look really muddy. Glad its getting a newer skin.
    I don't understand to be honest. How could the previous texture start to look ugly? Did it change somehow?

Personally i found it quite fine and i didn't notice anything especially bad about it either.
    Don't get me wrong i really appreciate the dedication and amount of work they put into the new one.
    On the other hand, i wish they had added some more alternative ship parts for it instead.

To me a good looking overall shape and pleasing proportions are much more important than textures you can't see anyways, unless you zoom in very close. But that's just me.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I agree, it's great they go back and overhaul some of the older ships. However, for me the Vengeance can't be saved anyway xD The whole ship design is hilariously out of place for me, even in the Kelvin Timeline. I never was a big fan of just supersizing ships to make them "more powerful".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    Check out Zefilms YouTube vid on the update. New skin looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4kchRLnlwU
    yreodred wrote: »
    duasyn wrote: »
    I don't understand to be honest. How could the previous texture start to look ugly? Did it change somehow?

No more of a comparison to newer ships VFX. Like breaking out your old game console from 15 yrs ago. It was AWESOME back then, but compared to current tech, its awful.

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    There are more than a few other ships ingame which I'd hope Cryptic gives an update like this to as well.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was internal plans to update all the older ships and Cryptic is just waiting for a good slot in their timetable to do so.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Oops! Where are my manners? Gone and forgotten. Just got done watching ZEFilms' vid showing off new skin for the Vengeance class. What a fine job! From both ZEFilms and Cryptic! Thanks, guys for the update to one of my favorite ships. Been flying it with the Section 31 vanity skin and now I'll not have to anymore.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    Yeah the Zefilms was good, but he seemed to think the black pin-striping was supposed to work with the dark skin. (I assume it's there for the light gray skins.) And never gave it a try on the lighter skins. Guess I'll have to give it a try when it goes live or if I get on Tribble before that.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    Looks cool, except the name is a bunch of numbers:

https://i.imgur.com/r3Amft8.png

Nothing I do changes it.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪