test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Command Ships of the Kelvin Timeline!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
You've seen the starships of the Kelvin Divergence Lock Box, now find out what they'll do under your command when Awakening launches tomorrow on PC!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11250393

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Commander universal boff station 😂
    Like anyone will use that for anything other than a Tactical BOFF

*raises hand*
    Hey, I want my Gravity Well, darnit!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    LtC Command and Lt Pilot. Console and trait look interesting especially for someone who tends to support the team.
    Not too keen on their looks though. Models are fancy enough, but i simply do not like the design.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Pass. To me, it's not worth the gamble. I have other things in the cue that take precedence.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    > @dariustural said:
    > Pass. To me, it's not worth the gamble.

I agree. Thats why I will get the ship I want (d7) without gambling.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Commander universal boff station 😂
    Like anyone will use that for anything other than a Tactical BOFF

*raises hand*
    Hey, I want my Gravity Well, darnit!

Same, or other stuffs.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Though I'm not a big fan of the Kelvin-type specifically, I do think it would be cool to see more Starfleet designs with a vertical nacelle layout. Like the Akula from the Starfleet Command games (though not that specific ship, I'm fully aware that it's not usable in STO).
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    After enough attempts, in the past, I already know beforehand I'd lose if I gamble in STO anymore so not likely going to take the bait & although I think both ships look great. I do rarely buy, if/when, keys get down to around 4m on the Exchange, but that is extremely rare in itself nowadays with the STO inflation. The ships' console, mastery trait, & experimental weapon just aren't appealing to me at this time. They're not bad additions for the ships, but nothing awed me & again the ships look great. If these ships had been C-Store they definitely would've earned buying consideration.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    lnblade wrote: »
    Though I'm not a big fan of the Kelvin-type specifically, I do think it would be cool to see more Starfleet designs with a vertical nacelle layout. Like the Akula from the Starfleet Command games (though not that specific ship, I'm fully aware that it's not usable in STO).

Or the Freedom Class.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    I wonder, will the Kelvin Hvy Destroyer material will be added to the materials list for the Kelvin Connie and the Vengeance?

I'm keen on the ship anyway, but that would be a nice bonus.
    I wonder, will the Kelvin Hvy Destroyer material will be added to the materials list for the Kelvin Connie and the Vengeance?

I'm keen on the ship anyway, but that would be a nice bonus.
    Since there is a Kelvin vanity shield as a rare prize for the Kelvin-themed weapon packs, that seems unlikely.
    #TASforSTO
  • iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    So.. these are a miss for me. I don't like the Kelvin HD, the one and 4 nacelle designs just don't do it for me you know. But it's these stats that have put me off of the new kelvin stuff. If i do open them and win a ship, i'll probably grab one of the old kelvin ships. I do like the experimental weapon, but not enough to actually get one of these. This will be the ONLY Fed destroyer not to be 4/3 weapons. It's base turn, impulse mod,hull mod, and inertia are lower than Veteran HD. It does have a slightly better shield mod and the bonus +5 engine power. All in all, just not feeling it. And making them Heavy Destroyers is confusing all on it's own. It wasn't exactly well armed...

I do thank the devs for the work, and continuing to maintain and add to the game.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    To be fair, the U.S.S. Kelvin is a PRIME timeline ship (IE it was crewed and launched BEFORE Spock in the Jellyfish, and Nero in the Narada appeared. :)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Point Defense in an Experimental Weapon Slot. Carriers could use something like that.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    To be fair, the U.S.S. Kelvin is a PRIME timeline ship (IE it was crewed and launched BEFORE Spock in the Jellyfish, and Nero in the Narada appeared. :)

As is the jellyfish, the Franklin and the Altamid drones. But the 3 ships and the drones are Kelvin because they are ONLY seen in the Kelvin Timeline.

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I'd like to see a TOS version of Kelvin timeline.

It was weird that it had the blue glowie for the deflector since this was supposed to be around the time Kirk was born, and blue glowie deflectors didn't happen until after the 5 year mission, and the ship had a refit.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    So I guess all Kelvin ships will be lockbox/promo only except for the Jellyfish. Well I can't complain since I don't care a great deal for that timeline.

Pity the insides look wrong, though.

Valve wheels, cement floors and cinder block walls......and vats with monitors....ugh.
    TOS interior I'm giving it, should I get one.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

It was weird that it had the blue glowie for the deflector since this was supposed to be around the time Kirk was born, and blue glowie deflectors didn't happen until after the 5 year mission, and the ship had a refit.

I got a TOS version of it.
    JscbwcE.jpg

On the desk, there.

I can make you some art of that ship if you like, later. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I want a Kelvin when I can make a Discovery Tellarite. If that is possible I probably will somehow try and get one. It's a bit ridiculous though, as a regular Store ship I'd buy it in a heartbeat.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • just got one (probably justspent a lifetimes worth of luck, only 20 boxes) it is incedibly fun to play!
    edited September 2019
    After opening almost 500 boxes on Tribble to get a copy of the Kelvin, I can give a few details about it (nothing about performance, even though it seems to do very well):

-it can use the material of the Vengeance (both the original and new one (and it looks gorgeous in that one)), the NX, the NX refit, both of the Reliant ones, the Kelvin!Connie, the Prime!Connie and the rest of the usual materials
    -it has no unique bridge and doesn't even get the Kelvin!Connie one either
    -when in combat, the multiple torpedo launchers
    latest?cb=20091205233832&path-prefix=en
    reveal themselves, coming out of the saucer and here, they're actually the origin points of the Point Defense matrix experimental weapon. The animation's pretty cool-looking, even having the little hatches open before the turrets come out.
    -the real torpedo launchers in the game are on the sides of the nacelle
    -its main template and material are named "Einstein" -which is its class name in the expanded universe-, instead of "Kelvin",

Related to that, the Vanity Shield, despite what it says in the description is really the material of the Kelvin, not the Altamid fighters, and I find it absolutely ugly with nearly all other ships.
    #TASforSTO
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I want a Kelvin when I can make a Discovery Tellarite. If that is possible I probably will somehow try and get one. It's a bit ridiculous though, as a regular Store ship I'd buy it in a heartbeat.​​

Same.

Comic book guys are gonna charge through the roof, I bet.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    After opening almost 500 boxes on Tribble to get a copy of the Kelvin, I can give a few details about it (nothing about performance, even though it seems to do very well):

-it can use the material of the Vengeance (both the original and new one (and it looks gorgeous in that one)), the NX, the NX refit, both of the Reliant ones, the Kelvin!Connie, the Prime!Connie and the rest of the usual materials
    reveal themselves, coming out of the saucer and here, they're actually the origin points of the Point Defense matrix experimental weapon. The animation's pretty cool-looking, even having the little hatches open before the turrets come out.
    -its main template and material are named "Einstein" -which is its class name in the expanded universe-, instead of "Kelvin",

Related to that, the Vanity Shield, despite what it says in the description is really the material of the Kelvin, not the Altamid fighters, and I find it absolutely ugly with nearly all other ships.

Sounds like the ships were designed really well visually with the animations. The "... almost 500 boxes ..." just reinforces my decision to no longer gamble. Your example was on Tribble so I can only imagine the odds on Holodeck :(

Sounds like the ships were designed really well visually with the animations. The "... almost 500 boxes ..." just reinforces my decision to no longer gamble. Your example was on Tribble so I can only imagine the odds on Holodeck :(
    And that was just to get one copy of the pack. I tried again to see how the D7 was faring compared to the Kelvin, but after about 600 more boxes, I went 'OK, you know what, tribble it! I'm done double-clicking on 20 boxes for junk on each of more than 30 copies of my character'.
    #TASforSTO
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    nice ships (I like very much kelvin timeline), that I would never have. If only, the kelvin timeline could have an expansion.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

JscbwcE.jpg

On the desk, there.

That ship model looks great, smokebailey :)

JscbwcE.jpg

On the desk, there.

That ship model looks great, smokebailey :)

Not mine, I did not make it. :) I'll make some art with it, later, though. B)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited September 2019
    Also, I take something back after further tests: Getting the Kelvin DOES unlock a new material option for the Kelvin ships. Which is surprising since there is a Vanity Shield with the same material.

But since you need to have at least 2 lockbox (or a lobi) ships to make use of the free material unlock, it's not too surprising.

And just for fun, here's how it looks with the updated Vengeance material and the animated turrets:
    20190914154213_1.jpg?raw=1
    20190914154228_1.jpg?raw=1
    20190914154233_1.jpg?raw=1

Also, other visuals:
    20190914155109_1.jpg?raw=1
    20190914155141_1.jpg?raw=1
    20190914155151_1.jpg?raw=1

And the "mushroom gills" visual to celebrate the mushroom-themed expansion:
    20190914155554_1.jpg?raw=1

Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO