test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Earn Event Rewards Quicker!

Comments

• banshirbanshir Member Posts: 102 Arc User

That's not even grind, that bare minimum play time for any MMO.

That right there is exactly why I avoid getting into any other MMO.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    they need to remove the points and just say you need 20 tokens, 1 a day from doing any of the 3 options... most folks will do the patrol or que for elite marks... do episode once. new system is just an expanded grind.

Agreed. Or at least - if they really want to go with points (such originality, I'm gonna cry) - they could've made it so that all the activities give the exact same amount of point. That would've made it way less grindy. Between the patrols, the STF and the episode we would've had enough content to not play the same thing twice for an entire week.

That is "variety".​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    in any case we now know what is required for the coming event and the time to do it in. No more information and i am going with that will be the extent of info we get for now. Time to make you choices as to what you plan to do. Grind, Play, Buy, all up to you as a player including not get it as well.

The only other issue i can see in this to have an answer is how many projects will those of you having past slot projects get to pick from and what said cost will be letting you decide on what ones to keep set for the new system. And what ones to not if any need be let go of.

So warm up the choice makers you have decide and go from there. That is the limit of our available actions. Other than rage out on a forum if that is what you must do. I my self will not be doing such and will in all reality be playing and see about the event item's and ship as it comes.

Have fun everyone.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Have fun everyone.
    You bet and thanks, that's the idea.

I like that it's account wide so various junior toons can grab some marks, and that more senior toons can perhaps move things along a little quicker.

We'll get the rest of the details released any day now.
    they could've made it so that all the activities give the exact same amount of point. ​
    Why would a patrol, which takes half the time of a TFO, reward the same amount as said TFO?

For the same reason why Crystalline Catastrophe and Peril Over Pahvo both did. And CC takes waaaaaaaaaay less than "half the time".
    Ultimately, it's because they choose to make it so. The same thing can be applied here, if only they were willing to look past the metrics.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I for one have a part time job and lots i do here at home. I like to make and work on more than one character which is time consuming at best if you want to take them thru their full reputation to grind out marks AND expertise for 2 months as you run the rep assignments to advance them. I will not do any more than one thing to get points for a TFO otherwise i will stop all game activity with the exception of the admiralty. I also will go without said ship just like I have in the past for other unmanageable events to avoid purchasing something I should be able to do for free. Due to what there doing I will be REMOVING 3 of 7 characters to make the game more manageable. BUT even that may not help enough after this starts and the final numbers are revealed (if modified since posted the other day).

Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    tomilak wrote: »
    Due to what there doing I will be REMOVING 3 of 7 characters to make the game more manageable. BUT even that may not help enough after this starts and the final numbers are revealed (if modified since posted the other day).

I must confess that this is a thought that crossed my mind as well. The time I have saved for character maintenance gets surly shaken by this new form of event as it easily takes 3 times as long compared to what we had so far.

For me everything stands and falls with the quality of the new contend we get funneled through here. If it is fun to play all is well and easy; if it is another cryptic annoyance reducing the time/money investment factor to STO in general seems like a reasonable response here.

3 characters less to maintain would exactly make up for the time-loss of this event if it feels as such. I doubt however I would fill the free time I gain after the event with STO. But who cares, if cryptic brings in new rules I dislike I can certainly find ways to play by them (and do something else). ;)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    banshir wrote: »

Exactly! Even though that it is 10 to 15 minutes a day, it gets tedious, repetitive after 4 or 5 days in. For me, the longer I go without playing a mission I actually enjoy, the more I want to run through it again at some point. Just not day after day, after day, after day, after day, for two weeks or longer.

The Arena of Sompek wasn't bad but the current tweaks made ruin it and there are still some matches where everyone is completely incompetent or just stand around and don't shoot anything. This further adds to me not looking forward to repeating this content or any content that has to be played daily for more than a weekend.
    edited September 2019
    jcsww wrote: »
    banshir wrote: »

Exactly! Even though that it is 10 to 15 minutes a day, it gets tedious, repetitive after 4 or 5 days in.

Pretty much yea. Every game has rules players play by and find their gaming/RL balance for. If the rules of a game change as they do here (events more and more often and now 3 times as effort intense) things get out of balance and need to be adjusted if one still wants to get his goals fulfilled within/for a game. It’s always fascinating how some forum members will argue the whole thing to irrelevance as it clearly remains a rule change and unlinke advertised in the blog, not necessarily one for the better.

Their arguments should not concern you however as you and everybody else has to come up with an individual solution here if one looks at a problem. :)
    animated.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Due to what there doing I will be REMOVING 3 of 7 characters to make the game more manageable. BUT even that may not help enough after this starts and the final numbers are revealed (if modified since posted the other day).

I must confess that this is a thought that crossed my mind as well. The time I have saved for character maintenance gets surly shaken by this new form of event as it easily takes 3 times as long compared to what we had so far.

For me everything stands and falls with the quality of the new contend we get funneled through here. If it is fun to play all is well and easy; if it is another cryptic annoyance reducing the time/money investment factor to STO in general seems like a reasonable response here.

3 characters less to maintain would exactly make up for the time-loss of this event if it feels as such. I doubt however I would fill the free time I gain after the event with STO. But who cares, if cryptic brings in new rules I can certainly find ways to play by them and do something else. ;)

Agreed, the appeal of the content is going to be the deciding factor here.

My idea to make up the time is that I'll select 2-4 of my characters that are sitting on a good stock of unrefined dilithium and crafting mats already and I will cut out their daily tasks like Admiralty for 20 days. If the queue/mission/patrol turns out to be all time gated to drag it out then I'll make the decision to either trim time from other tasks or skip this event.

I like the Elachi ship, but I certainly don't need it. If it's too much of a pain, I'll just skip it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited September 2019
    they could've made it so that all the activities give the exact same amount of point. ​
    Why would a patrol, which takes half the time of a TFO, reward the same amount as said TFO?

For the same reason why Crystalline Catastrophe and Peril Over Pahvo both did. And CC takes waaaaaaaaaay less than "half the time".
    Ultimately, it's because they choose to make it so. The same thing can be applied here, if only they were willing to look past the metrics.​​

I doubt they ever will. Metrics has shown them in past events that this community has a very high pain threshold when it comes to “fear of missing out” rewards.

With the current new event form (higher stakes with higher time/money effort) they just get the milking machine fired up some more to see what will happen.

That they can squeeze players out only up to a point is something their metric showes as well. I mean a high effort character level cap increase or T7 ships are something they refrain from doing after their experience with Delta Rising back in 2014. Better a bit less milk than unhappy cows.

Will be the same with these new events. ;)
    animated.gif
    edited September 2019

3 characters less to maintain would exactly make up for the time-loss of this event if it feels as such. I doubt however I would fill the free time I gain after the event with STO. But who cares, if cryptic brings in new rules I can certainly find ways to play by them and do something else. ;)

Agreed, the appeal of the content is going to be the deciding factor here.

My idea to make up the time is that I'll select 2-4 of my characters that are sitting on a good stock of unrefined dilithium and crafting mats already and I will cut out their daily tasks like Admiralty for 20 days. If the queue/mission/patrol turns out to be all time gated to drag it out then I'll make the decision to either trim time from other tasks or skip this event.

I like the Elachi ship, but I certainly don't need it. If it's too much of a pain, I'll just skip it.

Sounds like a plan man. :)

I doubt I’d miss out much of I just skip doffing for those 20 days. Have enough unrefined Dil from here to Andromeda and times where we need FM for any of our holdings are long time over. I suppose skipping just that on my toons should compensate well enough for the aditional time the event will take.
    animated.gif
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Keep in mind, folks, Mycelial Crisis is a Special Event, according to yesterday's livestream, and another experiment with Events. Featured Events, such as: Sompek, Kobayashi Maru, etc.; and Seasonal Events (Summer/Winter) can have different requirements while using this new Event System.

It was stated that this system is very flexible. Though it won't effect this year's Winter Event, next year it would be possible to make all winter activities track towards earning the ship rather than just "Fastest Game on Ice". Featured Events like Sompek, being just a single activity, could have the daily points earned or total points needed adjusted to fit the previous 14 day timeframe. And those are just some of the things they could possibly do.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

Ultimately, it's because they choose to make it so. The same thing can be applied here, if only they were willing to look past the metrics.

I doubt they ever will. Metrics has shown them in past events that this community has a very high pain threshold when it comes to “fear of missing out” rewards.

With the current new event form (higher stakes with higher time/money effort) they just get the milking machine fired up some more to see what will happen.

That they can squeeze players out only up to a point is something their metric showes as well. I mean a high effort character level cap increase or T7 ships are something they refrain from doing after their experience with Delta Rising back in 2014. Better a bit less milk than unhappy cows.

Agreed, but one can always hope. I understand why the metrics can be important. but they shouldn't be the only thing that matter.

The fact that this is a "special event" doesn't change the core of the matter: poor communication, general lack of information, half-answers that most of the time amount to "stay tuned for more info", uncertainty as to where exactly, this system is moving to - in regard to: how long are the "normal events" gonna require to be completed? How long are they gonna last? How long is this one going to last, for that matter? What's gonna happen with old, unfinished projects? And if you have more than one, how is that handled? How long is the "second chance" going to be available after and event is finished? And so forth and so forth.

Contrary to populare belief, most of the players are not unreasonable. Just as most devs are not out to simply pillage your wallet.
    Once again, I can't help but think that all of this outrage could've been avoided if they had just communicated better.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

Ultimately, it's because they choose to make it so. The same thing can be applied here, if only they were willing to look past the metrics.

Agreed. And while I understand why metrics can be important, they shouldn't be the only thing that matter.

And the fact that this is a "special event" doesn't change the core of the matter: poor communication, general lack of information, half answer that amount to "stay tuned for more info", uncertainty as to where exactly, this system is moving to - how long are the "normal events" gonna require to be completed? How long are they going to last? How long is this one going to last, for that matter? What's happening with the old, unfinished projects? If you have more than one slotted project, how is that going to be handled? How long is the "second chance" option going to last, after each event? And so forth.

These are not unreasonable questions, and contrary to popular belief most players are not unreasonable.
    Just as most devs are not out to simply pillage your wallet.

All in all, I still maintain that most - not all, because we're humans after all - of this outrage could've been avoided if they had just communicated better.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Meh, haters' gonna hate.
    Agreed. And while I understand why metrics can be important, they shouldn't be the only thing that matter.

And the fact that this is a "special event" doesn't change the core of the matter: poor communication, general lack of information, half answer that amount to "stay tuned for more info", uncertainty as to where exactly, this system is moving to - how long are the "normal events" gonna require to be completed? How long are they going to last? How long is this one going to last, for that matter? What's happening with the old, unfinished projects? If you have more than one slotted project, how is that going to be handled? How long is the "second chance" option going to last, after each event? And so forth.

These are not unreasonable questions, and contrary to popular belief most players are not unreasonable.
    Just as most devs are not out to simply pillage your wallet.

All in all, I still maintain that most - not all, because we're humans after all - of this outrage could've been avoided if they had just communicated better.​​

I understand your frustration. And it would be nice to have all of those definitive answers now. But I believe we can try to answer those questions:

How long will "normal" events last? I assume you're referring to what they seem to be calling Featured Events like Sompek, etc. One could assume that they will last as long as before with the requirement of 14 days remaining as always and the daily points earned and goal points requirements allocated for that. Remember, the new Event System was done as a better way of managing Events, both for the player and the developers. So, while they could make Sompek into one of these 20 day runs, it's unlikely they will. Sompek would most likely remain a 14 day run, or could even return to being a Weekend Event. The point is, the new system makes all of this flexible.

How long are they going to last? How long is this one going to last? Well, we now know that Mycelial Crisis is going to last for 30 days requiring 20 days to complete. Previous events ran for 21 days and required 14 days for completion. So, one could reasonably deduce that any event will provide at least 1/3 more time to complete it in.

What's happening with the old unfinished projects? If you have more than one slotted project, how is that going to be handled? I'm curious about this myself as I've been asking about it, too. Bort indicated last night that they've got an idea, but aren't ready to announce it yet. I wish they'd just autocomplete them like the last time, but I'm guessing some kind of buyout.

How long is the "second chance" option going to last after each event? Unfortunately, they haven't announced this yet. One could assume until the next event. Granted that's an assumption and not definitive. It's unclear at this point whether the UI will accommodate more than one "second chance" offering. If so, then one could assume that a Winter Event "second chance" could last until the next Winter Event or until the next Seasonal Event, assuming only one "second chance" per category. Again, I know, speculation and not definitive, but it's a place to start.

I will say, though, that Cryptic seems to be finally following through with the promise they made way back when they changed Event ships over to the exclusive timeframe of the event year it's offered. At that time they said, any ship projects not completed by the time of the next such event would be removed uncompleted, and those players would basically lose all of their progress and any chance of getting the ship to maintain "exclusivity" for players who participated in the event. They didn't follow through, though, and ended up making the next year's vouchers backwards compatible to the previous year's ship project, allowing players a "second chance" at the previous ship as long as that project had already been slotted. That, of course, was also before the Phoenix Box, too. So, they obviously want to be able to continue adding items to the Phoenix Box by making "second chances" limited time as well.
    GrWzQke.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You'd figure if they are moving Events over to it's own Tab that they should be able to keep track of MORE Events than they could now.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I understand your frustration. And it would be nice to have all of those definitive answers now. But I believe we can try to answer those questions:

Thank you for trying, BMR. It's appreciated. I just wish, with the system going live in 5 days, that we didn't have to speculate so much.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

If they can keep track of all these Events, the only reason to make old Projects go away as quickly as they stated is they want to rush them to the Phoenix. People can then spends mounds of Dilitium in the pursuit of the 'White Whale'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited September 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    You'd figure if they are moving Events over to it's own Tab that they should be able to keep track of MORE Events than they could now.
    They can, and have stated this is one benefit of the system.
    This isn't really a valid comparison. Cryptic has pretty much stated they don't like how short CC is, and have taken steps to make it longer with the mandatory briefing, and making the CC totally immune to damage during the absrobtion phase.

And yet, the longest it took me - during the event - was around 4-4:30 minutes. So, yeah. The comparison it's still valid.
    But even if it wasn't, it doesn't change the fact that they can do whatever they want, so if they say a Patrol is gonna be worth - progress points wise - just as much as an episode/STF, then that's what is gonna be worth. Simple as that.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

@jennycolvin Well, we don't really have to speculate about THIS event. We know how it's going to work. We know that the new system won't be affecting this Winter Event, so we don't have to speculate about that just yet either. I would think the next likely event to utilize the new system will be the 10th Anniversary Event.
    GrWzQke.png
    It's the same crowd that says Cryptic says that Reputation Items cost what they want them to cost, that argue they can't change the Points for the various Activities because they take different amounts of time.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    @baddmoonrizin That may very well be, and it would explain why they didn't simply wait to implement it for the Winter Event, but instead created a new one where they could test it before deciding what to keep and what to change.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

edited September 2019
    And suck up a bunch of Zen as well. If they get a good bunch of bites on this Zen buyout, that would open it up to loads of mischief.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    And suck up a bunch of Zen as well. If they get a good bunch of bites on this Zen buyout, there would open it up to loads of mischief.

Yeah, I don't see the Zen buyout being that popular. I mean, they are literally charging us the price of two T6 C-store ships for a single T6 and a few weapons.

I mean, if the ship were on par with a Promo Ship, I could justify the price, but not as it stands.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    I understand your frustration. And it would be nice to have all of those definitive answers now. But I believe we can try to answer those questions: <snip>
    Thanks BMR for putting together a thoughtful examination of player concerns and questions regarding the new event system.
    How long are they going to last? How long is this one going to last? Well, we now know that Mycelial Crisis is going to last for 30 days requiring 20 days to complete. Previous events ran for 21 days and required 14 days for completion. So, one could reasonably deduce that any event will provide at least 1/3 more time to complete it in.
    How long is the "second chance" option going to last after each event? Unfortunately, they haven't announced this yet. One could assume until the next event. Granted that's an assumption and not definitive. It's unclear at this point whether the UI will accommodate more than one "second chance" offering.
    These two are of the most importance to me as they have the potential, in combination with the 'daily time required' to affect the amount of effort required to complete an event and the ability to finish it later, all with respect to real life commitments and the daily time constraints RL brings with it (balance).

I'd rather not be put into the position of having to pick and choose which events to participate in, miss an RTFO or event reward that's important to me, nor have to scale back other in-game routines to accommodate an increased level of 'grind' (effort).

As an older player in-game (and now outside as well lol) all I'm looking for in the new system is a reasonably balanced level of effort and a little bit of flexibility as well.
This discussion has been closed.