test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

10 Anniversary...Please bring back missed items by new/inactive players. And other Suggestions.

Comments

• lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    It better be the best event STO has ever had or this game will die slowly...

Why this negativity?
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    It better be the best event STO has ever had or this game will die slowly...

10 years on an people still saying the game is dying. I'm guessing this was a troll for fun just to see what the responses would be.

I'm glad I bought my lifetime sub during beta.

I would like to see a large scale raid that take hours to complete without time gates. Just a massive event with NPCs that players actually need to work as a team of 15-25 to take down; with tanks tanking, healers healing and dps chewing up bosses and mechanics that have to be taken into account.

After the first couple of years STO content seems to be geared to being pugged with a group of dps boats. Fun for a quick romp between doing Admiralty and Doffs, but these days the only shooting I do is to get my marks for character/fleet progression.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Why this negativity?
    Its 2019.

go to any gaming website or forum, and all you will see is people complaining about insignificant things, and doomsaying that everything is the end of series X, Y, or Z.
    That or complaining that anything new to their allegedly favorite IP has ruined it forever.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Well back to the point of things that need to be updated...I am not going to argue the actual server attendance with everyone.

6. Fleets in armadas need more assistance in helping other fleets...being able to allow leadership of fleets to pull provisions from their coffer for Colony to use in fleets in the same Armada. I am baffled why Armadas exist beyond some generic bonuses...there is no real encouragement to help other fleets once you reach a certain bonus point. This is just small suggestion that has seemed to be ignored much like Armada mail.

Armadas can be useful depending on circumstances, and people in maxed out fleets do often go into the armada tab and contribute stuff to associated fleets who are less far along. Also, some armadas set up an armada-wide chat channel which can be very useful in getting information and TFO groups together and whatnot since the chances are higher that there will be more armadamates than the one or two fleetmates online at the same time that is the case so often.

Sure, armada systems do need more work (like the often mentioned mail) but they are far from useless even now.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    2.) Elite queues need to have special drops that are sellable on the exchange.
    They specifically went to the reputation system because people complained about special drops in the Borg TFOs, and the annoyance of having to get them. This would just be going back and unlearning from past mistakes.

To be fair, in the original system, those items could not be sold on the exchange. Having unique drops as tradeable items actually isn't a bad idea. Some players would run the queues to get the item, others to try and make some EC by selling them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • srbin666srbin666 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    my whislist for 10th
    1. Worfs Sash ( my Klingon Feds feel not complete without it)
    2. Kelvin Admiral Uniform ( For my Kelvin timeline inspired Feds )
    3. D.O.M.I.N.O. totally unfair that we cant get hands on this except with a epic ph token ... without it you cant be really competitive in the higher dps league
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Frankly I disliked both the original ESD and First city. And though the current first city layout is poor, it is much prettier.
    ^First, the only thing that has been happening with the dil market lately is it staying about 300 dil per zen, we haven't seen the days of below 100 dil per zen in over 5 years. So, basically they are saying they want to artificially keep zen about 300 dil per zen.
    Dil would never go back down to 100 per zen, regardless of what Cryptic did, because there is simply so much of it, and so many ways to get it, that it could never go back down to those levels. Not to mention, your plan wouldn't help that. In fact, it would make the problem worse because now Dil would be even more valuable, as you get more out of it from trading it to fleets, which would only drive prices up more, not down.
    Second, you were not able to SELL droppable items on when they had them in TFOs...that is the real change here. It would still have people play ALL the TFOs as adding unique drops to each of them would make them better than same reward all the time. Making the drops sellable on the exchange would minimize the frustration of never getting a particular drop. Elite really needs something as it doesn't even provide the most marks anymore with advanced randoms available...so now they are even more pointless.
    Having the drop be tradeable on the exchange wouldn't change the fact the drops are elite only, meaning they would be fairly rare, resulting in the typical exchange price gouging we see the STO community partake in, meaning the drops would still be out of the reach of most people, leading back to the same problem we had before. The point of elite is to be there for the people who are in that 300K+DPS, and thus smoke things so fast they get no challenge from advanced. Elite isn't worthless, you still get the bonus that elite was always designed to have, which is the greater challenge for those who want it.

The law of supply and demand says that in fact yes, it is possible for Dil to drop below 100 per zen. This requires it to be in such high demand that the supply gets used up so it gets more and more scarce. What would cause that I don't know, but I would say it would have to be far more universally available than some fleet holding and far more desirable.

As for your belief in price gouging, that's again supply and demand. There is no such thing as price gouging really, that's just communist nonsense. There isn't enough supply of those highly expensive items around to satisfy demand for everyone who wants one to get one. The price therefore needs to be set high enough to lower the demand such that only people who want it the most get it, as opposed to setting it at some fantasy appropriate price where its the fastest to see it gets it.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The law of supply and demand says that in fact yes, it is possible for Dil to drop below 100 per zen. This requires it to be in such high demand that the supply gets used up so it gets more and more scarce. What would cause that I don't know, but I would say it would have to be far more universally available than some fleet holding and far more desirable.
    Yes. Or conversely, they could cut down the oversupply. Not that I believe it very likely that they would actually do it, but doing it is certainly possible.
    As for your belief in price gouging, that's again supply and demand. There is no such thing as price gouging really, that's just communist nonsense. There isn't enough supply of those highly expensive items around to satisfy demand for everyone who wants one to get one. The price therefore needs to be set high enough to lower the demand such that only people who want it the most get it, as opposed to setting it at some fantasy appropriate price where its the fastest to see it gets it.
    Price gouging is the (often illegal) practice of raising prices of necessary supplies in times of emergency, such as natural disasters. It very much exists, but obviously has nothing to do with videogames.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Yes. Or conversely, they could cut down the oversupply. Not that I believe it very likely that they would actually do it, but doing it is certainly possible.
    Well, possible, but it'd require the perceived value of zen to decrease drastically. See, exchange rates are based on relative perceived value. The perceived value of zen is quite high. How much would someone have to want dil to buy zen and sell it for 100 dil per zen?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Well, possible, but it'd require the perceived value of zen to decrease drastically. See, exchange rates are based on relative perceived value. The perceived value of zen is quite high. How much would someone have to want dil to buy zen and sell it for 100 dil per zen?
    I was talking about the oversupply of dilithium.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Price gouging is the (often illegal) practice of raising prices of necessary supplies in times of emergency, such as natural disasters. It very much exists, but obviously has nothing to do with videogames.

Those laws punish and prevent people from being entrepreneurial, loading up a truck with whatever is in shortage and risking the trip to the disaster area to increase the supply. Do you pay $1000 for a generator you can use to run some pump or fan or ventilator or whatever, or lose tens of thousands of dollars of property or a life because you didn't have a generator? In places with those laws you have no choice in the matter, because people don't want to go to jail for trying to fix supply shortages (many of which are because people didn't prepare for an emergency.)

Tangent aside, choking the faucet of dilithium isn't likely to go over well and would probably just lead to a market stagnation where people are much less willing to part with it because its that much more precious. That would lower the price of zen, but because less people are willing to sell dilithium. The better solution is to introduce a number of things that people will want to spend Dil on. There are a ton of things that aren't really worth the price like weapons in the reputation stores. If Cryptic gives us better options to spend dilithium on, then the price of zen drops.

I don't know what other people do, but once I've got whatever equipment from reputation items, I keep a reserve of Dil for any upgrading I might do, and then dump the excess on the market. What else am I going to do with it? I have nothing else to do with dilithium at this point and that, I suspect, is the same boat many other people are in.
    Define "oversupply". People have a hard limit on how much refined dil they can get per day. The only way to reduce dil generation is to either make it impractical to collect 8k a day or reduce the cap.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Define "oversupply". People have a hard limit on how much refined dil they can get per day. The only way to reduce dil generation is to either make it impractical to collect 8k a day or reduce the cap.
    Oversupply = excess of supply over demand of products being offered to the market
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    They specifically went to the reputation system because people complained about special drops in the Borg TFOs, and the annoyance of having to get them. This would just be going back and unlearning from past mistakes.

From my own experience, the big frustration was not from the fact that it was a random drop. It was from the fact that, even if it did drop, I still wasn't guaranteed to get it. This was because it was 1 item that got thrown into the team wide loot pool that, as far as I can see, is completely random on who gets what. If they made it so that, when it did drop, everybody got the item, I doubt there would have been as much complaining.
    Post edited by sci321 on
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    That still makes it a random drop, just a different kind of random drop. Random drops aren't liked by most people, regardless of how its done. Because regardless of if you get a box that has a 20% chance to have it, or it always drops ,but you only have a 20% chance to get it because its randomly given to someone on the team, its still a 20% drop chance for you either way, and still an 80% chance of you not getting it.

Which is why more modern games have generally shifted toward the same kind of system STO uses, where you always get rewarded with marks, and can turn in those marks for something else.

Yeah, but, for example, making it part of an additional reward box that everyone gets one of after completing an elite queue would only require players to get lucky once instead of twice which, as explained above, was my main issue with the old system.
    sci321 wrote: »
    From my own experience, the big frustration was not from the fact that it was a random drop. It was from the fact that, even if it did drop, I still wasn't guaranteed to get it. This was because it was 1 item that got thrown into the team wide loot pool that, as far as I can see, is completely random on who gets what. If they made it so that, when it did drop, everybody got the item, I doubt there would have been as much complaining.
    That still makes it a random drop, just a different kind of random drop. Random drops aren't liked by most people, regardless of how its done. Because regardless of if you get a box that has a 20% chance to have it, or it always drops ,but you only have a 20% chance to get it because its randomly given to someone on the team, its still a 20% drop chance for you either way, and still an 80% chance of you not getting it.

Which is why more modern games have generally shifted toward the same kind of system STO uses, where you always get rewarded with marks, and can turn in those marks for something else.
    Some level of randomization is fine, the issue is when you need the random drop for the good stuff and have to grind incessantly.

I remember in Diablo 2 hating seeing class-specific gear because 1 out of 7 characters never had any use beyond selling for it. Sometimes you could trade, but most of the time finding someone who wanted it was too hard. Also most good items you'd outlevel before finding, and D2's gear system didn't let you upgrade gear levels.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Actually, free camera seems to be default for me. I prefer follow target and make sure to set that and then never need to set it again.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.