test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Earn Event Rewards Quicker!

Comments

• jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    @questerius Reward value is subjective between players, granted. My point was 14 days for a kit module seems to be ok, but 20 days for a ship is too much work? Come on!

And we know that it's 20 days for THIS reward - the ship. We honestly do not know whether the point requirements would be adjusted down for say, a kit module reward, for future events, thereby shortening the number of days. It's totally something that could be done while the overall structure remain the same.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this year's Winter event using this same model, while allowing other winter activities to track towards earning the ship instead of just "Fastest Game on Ice" being the only event eligible.

"Allowing"? More like "make mandatory". This is another thing that bug me to no end: up until now, we only had to run ONE thing to get the token. Now we will need to run at least two.
    Why? And HOW, exactly, is this supposed to get the rewards "faster"? It doesn't.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • warpangel wrote: »
    You can earn the reward, buy the reward, or not. No freebies.

Just a note to you, nobody was demanding freebies.

I'll just wait and see what's happening to my old slotted event projects when it goes live. I'll then also see if I can continue to work on unfinished projects during the following event like Kaol has mentioned when the 2nd "new" event goes live. Furthermore, I'll see then if not having the old project finished will avoid me from working on the current event.
    I admit, the status of information regarding that is cryptic to say the least. But if that was intentionally done to build up excitement, that strategy, at least for me, utterly failed to do so. But I'm glad it works so well for others.
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I can't believe you people are comparing the now old 14 day trinket earning event to the new 20 day ship earning event, when you should be comparing the new 20 day ship earning event to the 25 day ship earning events. It's a SHIP people, not some lackluster raygun or kit module clicky. :/

Because it's being advertised as a replacement for a 14-day TFO event.

When you advertise it in this way, the comparisons are inevitable.

The comparison may not have been intentional on the part of the devs, but it IS what people saw.

On another note: the Ultimate Upgrade rewards are a bit of a misnomer.

I mean yeah, they set an item to Mk XV Epic, the fact that they only apply to space weapons make them less than "ultimate" in my opinion.

You're essentially creating a lesser version of something that already exists and making it look the same on the exterior. It would be like creating and selling a T5-U Intel ship. Sure it's got the Intel thing going for it, but it's still lacking that T6 Trait.

Objectively speaking, this newer upgrade is not a good deal compared to the actual Ultimate Upgrade. It does everything the Ultimate Upgrade does, but on a liimited basis.

If you want those to be a thing, you need to up your game on them. Bridge that gap between them and the actual Ultimates.

I would suggest a choice of mod sets when using it, all of which include a traditional "crafted" mod like [Pen] or [Spr].

Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    It's 1) advertising a NEW event, and 2) advertising the new structure for events going forward. That doesn't necessarily mean events that only require 14 days to complete won't ever happen again.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

I mean yeah, they set an item to Mk XV Epic, the fact that they only apply to space weapons make them less than "ultimate" in my opinion.

Ultimate Upgrades work on any item. I have used them on a ground weapon before.

I'm not sure why you think they only work on Space Weapons, but that is not the case.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2019

I'm not sure why you think they only work on Space Weapons, but that is not the case.

In the new event they seem to start to hand out specific ones for some reason. Not a biggie but hardly nessesary or handy. :/
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    It's 1) advertising a NEW event, and 2) advertising the new structure for events going forward. That doesn't necessarily mean events that only require 14 days to complete won't ever happen again.

From the blog post: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240253-get-event-rewards-quicker!

"The Meta Event progression was actually the first phase to the Event UI overhaul. It will also now live in the events tab where you can track your progress for any eligible TFO events and keep an eye out for new and exciting Meta Event rewards."

Given that the above statement heavily implies that the new event is a Featured TFO replacement, it is not unreasonable to assume that the promise of quicker rewards is a false promise given the 20-day timeframe vs the 14-day time frame of a Featured TFO. It doesn't matter what the rewards are because the faster progression was promised before the prizes were revealed.

I'm not saying that the devs are wrong for changing the event system. Far from it.

What I am saying is that the reporting on the changes and what they mean was erroneous.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.

In the new event they seem to start to hand out specific ones for some reason. Not a biggie but hardly nessesary or handy. :/

and now you see the problem...

Two different items. Same basic function. Same basic name.

One is an upgrade token that can be applied to anything.

The other is an upgrade token thay can be applied only to space weapons.

You see where the confusion lies?

Things I want in STO:

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    This is the kind of math Cryptic used to determine that you earn the Reward quicker: :)

https://youtu.be/_HvGven4qJ0
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    What I still don't get if this obsession with time-gating the progress tokens to X per 20/24h that plagues this game.

OK, actually, I have a pretty good idea why this is around, but still...

Take Warframe for example, another F2P game that is progressing very well and making enough money that it's always introducing new ways of playing with the upcoming expansions being about a nemesis system, and combat with ships.

When you have an event, you have a series of requirements, of course... and zero time-gating. Wanna rush and collect all the rewards by locking yourself in your home and playing for one whole week-end? Sure, go ahead if you wish, you just have to farm some stuff and wait a few minutes for some crafting if it's needed. Buyout option? Err, no, why would you want something like that?

Also, the runs required when it involves a couple of rewards rarely exceed 3 if it's mandatory. And the tokens never expire or are rendered obsolete.
    And for events that have more rewards, it depends on what you want as you get more rewards the more runs you go through, the big prize being usually a unique weapon (which would be the equivalent of getting a T6 ship in STO).

Of course, the catch is that a run of an event in WF usually lasts much longer because it's not one mission but usually a succession of farming sessions in normal missions (you still get the reward from the normal missions) to build a key to fight a boss at the end.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    so basically cryptic math... 14 dohickies (1 a day) old event vs 20 day run (at 60 points a day). yeah faster =p

ok seriously this is a good event when you compare to other ship reward events.

but we will need to see if the winter event is also only 20 days or none ship event reward is also 20 days <- that would be messed up, increase in 6 days then. then you can bring out the pitch forks.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I can't believe you people are comparing the now old 14 day trinket earning event to the new 20 day ship earning event, when you should be comparing the new 20 day ship earning event to the 25 day ship earning events. It's a SHIP people, not some lackluster raygun or kit module clicky. :/

eee- that's not a favorable comparison for the company. I do the ice race and flying high in less than 3 minutes. We're looking at 30+ min for this new event = appx 10 times longer!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

eee- that's not a favorable comparison for the company. I do the ice race and flying high in less than 3 minutes. We're looking at 30+ min for this new event = appx 10 times longer!

well we still dont know how long the episode is or how long the patrols are... are they on test?

regardless you need to run the episode 2 times; 2 task force ques; or 4 patrols...

it increased the time sink.

it's not good if you have more than 1 account... way longer time sink. on paper it seems better, if you dont take the time it takes to do these missions/ques/patrols to the old single run event.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I mean for me it comes down to how timegated the patrols are. are they - defend this area for 3 min now go defend this area for 3 min? Or are they kill everything and move on?

I will guarantee without seeing it that the TFO will be strictly timegated so playing that twice will offer no relief. May be close to 40 min.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,929 Arc User
    ...a false promise given the 20-day timeframe vs the 14-day time frame of a Featured TFO.
    It generally takes 25 days to get a free T6 ship at Summer & Winter. Now, it only takes 20.
    Saying that, getting the Obelisk only took about 30-40 minutes when T5 was the top tier!
    Regardless, the ship is free just by playing the game for a little while - I won't be complaining.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I think we need to know how many days the event is up.. it is 30?, it is 40??, because if its a long run, then i get it when we need 20 days to get something, but we have time to spare.. so not that bad.
    And other thing, how i will be able to choose advancement on the projects?, imagine i didnt complete this one, and another event comes up, can I choose to complete the new one and leave the old one to complete after?, or it will track my progress no matter what and maybe i'll lose the new prize?, that was the most practical thing about the old system, icould have one char with the old proyect, and another with the new one, and i could complete both if i wanted...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    ...a false promise given the 20-day timeframe vs the 14-day time frame of a Featured TFO.
    It generally takes 25 days to get a free T6 ship at Summer & Winter. Now, it only takes 20.
    Saying that, getting the Obelisk only took about 30-40 minutes when T5 was the top tier!
    Regardless, the ship is free just by playing the game for a little while - I won't be complaining.

The point is that it was advertised as a faster progression on what was reasonably assumed (based on the blog post) to be the TFO event. It doesn't matter what the prize is because it has no bearing on the issue.

Simply put, the devs HEAVILY implied that the new system would be replacing the old TFO event system, so when it turned out that the "faster progression" meant that what was once a 14 day grind would become a 20 day grind, those people were rightfully upset and felt like they had been lied to.

It's not a matter of wrongdoing or not. It doesn't really matter if the devs were telling the truth ir not. It's the perception of the lying that is going to hurt them in the long run.

They need to get out ahead of this thing PDQ.

Things I want in STO:

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    What I still don't get if this obsession with time-gating the progress tokens to X per 20/24h that plagues this game.
    If you think time gating plagues STO, you should go out and play pretty much any other MMO. STO is one of the singularly most forgiving MMOs out there in terms of time gating and grind.
    There are various reasons why I don't play most MMOs, and this is one of the main ones.
    It's still not an excuse especially since while it's an old mechanic, I highly doubt it'd be missed if the industry decided to get rid of it (assuming it wasn't replaced by something worse, of course).

And as always the old "others do that, so I'm barred from criticism using it" is still not a valid excuse by itself.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • gaevsman wrote: »
    And other thing, how i will be able to choose advancement on the projects?, imagine i didnt complete this one, and another event comes up, can I choose to complete the new one and leave the old one to complete after?, or it will track my progress no matter what and maybe i'll lose the new prize?, that was the most practical thing about the old system, icould have one char with the old proyect, and another with the new one, and i could complete both if i wanted...

and that's exactly what I want to know...

Although, at this point, I wouldn't mind any bad news anymore, as long as it telss me: don't bother with events anymore.

it's faster in that you no longer need to slot project or select to fill project... saves ya time, see! ignores the fact that you need to run either mission, que or patrol... 2 to 4 times (depending on which) a day for 20 days vs a single que 1 time a day for 14 days.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    But, but, but... it is a Ship, a Raider. Without Enhanced Flanking but a Ship... ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ltminns wrote: »
    But, but, but... it is a Ship, a Raider. Without Enhanced Flanking but a Ship... ;)

News on the ship is out? It's lackluster? Great!

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    it's not even remotely close to lackluster​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

The point is that it was advertised as a faster progression on what was reasonably assumed (based on the blog post) to be the TFO event. It doesn't matter what the prize is because it has no bearing on the issue.

Simply put, the devs HEAVILY implied that the new system would be replacing the old TFO event system, so when it turned out that the "faster progression" meant that what was once a 14 day grind would become a 20 day grind, those people were rightfully upset and felt like they had been lied to.

It's not a matter of wrongdoing or not. It doesn't really matter if the devs were telling the truth ir not. It's the perception of the lying that is going to hurt them in the long run.

It is a new UI and mechanics for the entire event system itself, not any one specific event. The title refers to the removal of extraneous hoop-jumping in the form of projects and tokens the old system required, not to the length of the reward tracks of any one specific event.

The Mycelial event has not "become" any longer than it has been before, since it has not existed before.

If/when the old single-TFO events are run again, we will see if/how their reward progression is altered. That will then be an entirely separate subject from the UI/system changes made here. Until then, people are just making up stuff to complain about for the sake of complaining.
  • sharmutashlikha#2072 sharmutashlikha Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    it's not even remotely close to lackluster​​

Sorry, I was inferring from ltminns' comment. Although I do hope it turns out lackluster after all, as, considering all the information I have right now, I'll never own it.

• fun4ever#6757 fun4ever Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    I like New event system - pick up activities you want (FE, TFO or Patrols) and play it with any character.

So...
    Ppl have time for tldr whine on forum...
    But dont have time to play and enjoy game...

You have a lot of options:
    1. Play Event and get unique T6 Cruiser/Raider + goodies for FREE...
    2. Ignore event and buy unique Ship (+ goodies) for ZEN...
    3. Or... continue spending your time to whine on forum, and get NOTHING...
  • warpangel wrote: »

It is a new UI and mechanics for the entire event system itself, not any one specific event. The title refers to the removal of extraneous hoop-jumping in the form of projects and tokens the old system required, not to the length of the reward tracks of any one specific event.

The Mycelial event has not "become" any longer than it has been before, since it has not existed before.

If/when the old single-TFO events are run again, we will see if/how their reward progression is altered. That will then be an entirely separate subject from the UI/system changes made here. Until then, people are just making up stuff to complain about for the sake of complaining.

I'm glad you're that convinced of the new system that you reply one thing to articulated concerns and the complete opposite to the next concern. Me, I want to be convinced of everything just like you are and I'm looking forward to it. Of course, I let everybody know as soon as I'm there.

warpangel wrote: »

Except that in the original blog post (found here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240253-get-event-rewards-quicker!) it very specifically says:

"The Meta Event progression was actually the first phase to the Event UI overhaul. It will also now live in the events tab where you can track your progress for any eligible TFO events and keep an eye out for new and exciting Meta Event rewards."

Can you not agree that the above statement could be construed as the new mechanic taking over the TFO event, considering that it very specifically says it was the first phase and would track your TFO progress.

This is what I am talking about.

Again, I am not saying that Cryptic's plans are bad. I'm saying that their communication of said plans was lackluster at best.

Things I want in STO:

This discussion has been closed.