test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Awakening: Beneath the Skin

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I haven't had a chance to see season 2 yet, but I did know Discovery at least time jumped. We don't know if she just stays there or what.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Think about Cestus III again after one of the early episodes in Season 2. You must pay close attention to a Leland/Pike conversation.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to see season 2 yet, but I did know Discovery at least time jumped. We don't know if she just stays there or what.

When you get round to watching. You are in for one hell of a ride. It was by far an amazing season imo.
  • admiralvondrunkadmiralvondrunk Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    (Trolling doom comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

you missed nothing. discovery is an average tv show. the characters are stereotyped and doesn't have depth; the scenarios have nothing special, the plots were already seen in other tv shows/films. it has the star trek name, that's all.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited August 2019

you missed nothing. discovery is an average tv show. the characters are stereotyped and doesn't have depth; the scenarios have nothing special, the plots were already seen in other tv shows/films. it has the star trek name, that's all.

That is true, it is a good show as far as generic modern TV sci-fi goes though not really worth the paywall it is behind (and the time jump kludge has pretty much killed any interest I have in the show at this point anyway) though the addition of the Picard show might tip the scales a bit in the services favor.

I get the feeling that the only thing keeping the show alive beyond season two is the fact that CBS only has one egg in its CBSAA basket so far, otherwise they would probably be scrapping the show and doing a new Trek without the baggage of bad blood and deeply entrenched fan base division that DSC has. Only time will tell (pardon the pun) though.
    my opinion is not questionable, because it is just my opinion. you are not agree, ok; but don't say that my opinion is incorrect.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    eazzie wrote: »

When you get round to watching. You are in for one hell of a ride. It was by far an amazing season imo.

Absolutely agreed, and I am excited to see how it all integrates into STO.
    my opinion is not questionable, because it is just my opinion. you are not agree, ok; but don't say that my opinion is incorrect.

An opinion can be wrong. People believe the earth is flat.. it's their opinion.. and it's wrong. :wink:

That being said, while I certainly disagree with your opinion of Discovery, I respect it and you're welcome to it. Sorry you feel that way, because I honestly think it's a really great show. I don't know if you saw any of season 2, but it might be worth another chance if you feel so inclined.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User

The whole red angel thing was a bit of a stretch but still entertaining. Episode 5 was one of the best even if a bit cliche. "Say goodbye Spock", "Goodbye Spock".
    Pike made that Season.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Pike made that Season.

Definately

An opinion can be wrong. People believe the earth is flat.. it's their opinion.. and it's wrong. :wink:

That being said, while I certainly disagree with your opinion of Discovery, I respect it and you're welcome to it. Sorry you feel that way, because I honestly think it's a really great show. I don't know if you saw any of season 2, but it might be worth another chance if you feel so inclined.

yes, I watched the season 2. I'm not going to look at the third.

he can discuss about my opinion, but only if he uses arguments. his comment like always was just disrespectful. everyone can discuss the opinions of others, but one must use discussion arguments.

don't be sorry, only few months before the release of Westworld, and the Expanse ;)

• robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User

he can discuss about my opinion, but only if he uses arguments. his comment like always was just disrespectful. everyone can discuss the opinions of others, but one must use discussion arguments.

don't be sorry, only few months before the release of Westworld, and the Expanse ;)

I Watched Season 2 and the only part I enjoyed was Pike the whole bearded Spock and red angel things was to annoying to me. This season was only slightly better than season 2. I also doubt if there is a season 3 that I will tune in. I'm just going to focus on Picard
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    robeasom wrote: »

I Watched Season 2 and the only part I enjoyed was Pike the whole bearded Spock and red angel things was to annoying to me. This season was only slightly better than season 2. I also doubt if there is a season 3 that I will tune in. I'm just going to focus on Picard

There is definitely a season three, they've already started filming it.

Whether it will be worth watching after the shark jump time thing is the question now. Shark jumps always signal that a show is in trouble and has shifted to damage control to try recovering. Hopefully it works, but I am not expecting much at this point (except for some good points the plotting has been somewhat lackluster and sloppy since the beginning, though it is mildly entertaining to watch them run around doing all the old action schticks like the propped door one).

Right now they seem to be trying to please the "anti-prequel" set, something they should not do with DSC since it just causes more problems and trying to please everyone never really works.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    In #STOAwakening, J'ula has returned, and her super weapon has damaged the Mycelial Network. You'll have to resurrect Paul Stamets, played by Anthony Rapp, and venture inside the Network to stop her.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11230263
    When will we hear more about the CBS All Access subscription giveaway? At least 1,000 free subs should do it. Not sure if that doubles current subscribership or not.

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    > @duasyn said:
    > Recreating a person as a hologram! Outrageous! I've never heard of something so daft!
    > (gets pulled aside and whispered to....Leah Brahms... Geordi.... TNG)
    > M'kay, nevermind. :D

And Ronnie James Dio. :p
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ronnie-james-dio-hologram-us-tour-dates-820040/amp/
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @sennahcherib said:
    > my opinion is not questionable, because it is just my opinion. you are not agree, ok; but don't say that my opinion is incorrect.

Some people have the opinion that different skin color makes you a lesser species. They are wrong. Some people have the opinion that everyone agrees with how they think. They are wrong. You have the opinion that Discovery is bad and "only Trek in name". You Are Wrong.

He is not wrong if that is his opinion that Discovery is bad there is about 50/50 of the fanbase half like it. half hate it. It is there taste in what they watch. I don't even class Discovery as Star Trek never have and never will. But I would never call someone wrong because they like a show. Let them like what they like and you like what you like. Star Trek teaches IDIC something that the fanbase seems not to practice

NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    So, about the mission:

I really liked it, even if some parts were really anvilicious, especially regarding Stamets after his "change" (no spoilers), but it was great to look at, great new lore, nice little touches (that heart icon when you get you-know-who to follow you, dawwwwww).

The VA was great as well, I hope to get more of Mr Rapp's character and the Andorian captain.

And the Elachi twist and reward were very nice (even if it was a bit spoiled by the episode reward list)!

Overall, I had a great time playing it.

However, red card for making the Boff have no distinctive features to make him interesting to have as a space or ground Boff:
    -no unique trait
    -not a single customization, not even colors or removing adding parts, NOTHING.

His only saving grace is that he's not a reskinned human. That's literally it. No unique equipment, no special armor parts for other characters to use, no unique abilities, not even an upgradable weapon, nothing.

That pretty much soured my excitement a bit, especially considering what his species can do and the new storyline behind it.

Also, you can't pet the tardigrade babies (that's a heinous crime in games released in 2019) and have no accolades related to them. Boooooooooooo!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    So, about the mission:

I really liked it, even if some parts were really anvilicious, especially regarding Stamets after his "change" (no spoilers), but it was great to look at, great new lore, nice little touches (that heart icon when you get you-know-who to follow you, dawwwwww).

The VA was great as well, I hope to get more of Mr Rapp's character and the Andorian captain.

And the Elachi twist and reward were very nice (even if it was a bit spoiled by the episode reward list)!

Overall, I had a great time playing it.

However, red card for making the Boff have no distinctive features to make him interesting to have as a space or ground Boff:
    -no unique trait
    -not a single customization, not even colors or removing adding parts, NOTHING.

His only saving grace is that he's not a reskinned human. That's literally it. No unique equipment, no special armor parts for other characters to use, no unique abilities, not even an upgradable weapon, nothing.

That pretty much soured my excitement a bit, especially considering what his species can do and the new storyline behind it.

Also, you can't pet the tardigrade babies (that's a heinous crime in games released in 2019) and have no accolades related to them. Boooooooooooo!

Between the white blinding light when you go from one zone to the next, the feeling of being underwater (at one point, I even considered equipping an EV suit) and the story, it was an overall boring experience. One that I certainly won't repeat again - not even on other characters to get the BOFF which, as you yourself said, has nothing special going for it except for the race.
    Especially not after having tried out the new STF. Practically a copy with just a few bits more ground-side and none of the space-side parts.

VA was pretty good, though. That much I can say.

As for the Elachi, I sure as hell hope they're gonna explain HOW exactly that's possible.
    I'm referring to them being from the realm, of course. To me, it's just a poor excuse to "justify" giving us one of their ship and their outdated weapons.
    ​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    I've used (use) those Elachi Weapons on a few of my Disruptor builds. They were highly sought after when they changed the Proc to be 5% to ignore all Shields.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    I'm going to go through this mission one more time, for the sake of getting the new BOff for a character whose shtick is being a mad scientist. And then I'm never going to touch it again, because it's a colossal pain.

Plot: The idea of contamination of interdimensional mushrooms causing the destruction of the multiverse was a stupid plot in the show, and it's not any smarter in STO. The idea of feeding someone's research papers into a computer and getting an AI that reasonably imitates the original's personality was nonsensical when VOY did it with Cardassian Mengele, and it's no more logical with STO's Holo-Stamets.

Forgive me, also, for not feeling sorry for the Elachi, when the "friendly" one is still confirmed to have once been a Romulan before being overwritten by malevolent spores. Trying to make such a species sympathetic is even dumber than doing so with the Kobali, and that's saying something.

Visuals: The mission is very pretty. It also runs like stop-motion on my computer. I realize I have a rather basic rig, but it's still not terribly amusing.

Gameplay: This is possibly the most frustrating mission I've played in terms of mechanics. The dashing back and forth between two consoles to keep radiation levels or whatever in check was annoyingly frenetic. Having to deal with a task later on that reset after a very short duration while being shot at by Elachi who respawned every time I triggered it was infuriating. The subsequent device-deactivation under similar circumstances was at least less time-sensitive, but still very frustrating and not even close to fun. The latter two sections, of course, not being at all helped by the map running so poorly on my computer.

After that frustrating, nonsensical fiasco, I'm not even going to try to unlock the Qulash. Twice a day for twenty days running a TFO that I can already see wouldn't work well for me? No thanks. First time in four years I've passed on an event ship, but there's no kriffing way that thing is worth this aggravation.

Due respect, my final assessment of the mission is bad writing and frustrating gameplay. After I've gotten the new BOff for one more captain, I'm never touching it again.
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    Haven't done the actual mission yet, but I tried the TFO, and after two runs I have concluded the Qulash simply isn't worth it. Insane lag, and half the time I couldn't even tell what I was shooting at. This bodes ill.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • lexers615#4253 lexers615 Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Haven't done the actual mission yet, but I tried the TFO, and after two runs I have concluded the Qulash simply isn't worth it. Insane lag, and half the time I couldn't even tell what I was shooting at. This bodes ill.
    And the bots haven't settled in yet as the modders might take a day or two to calibrate them. So next weekend it will be AFK leeching galore added to the fact that Mycelial Realm hasn't much to offer besides great art and event tokens
This discussion has been closed.