test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Zen Charge bonus - Up to 40% bonus

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
Current "sale" has up to 40% bonus. Best deal so far to date?

Base on $1 per 100 zen.

$10 for 1,150 zen 15%
$20 for 2,400 zen 20%
$50 for 6,300 zen 26%
$100 for 13,500 zen 35%
$200 for 28,000 zen 40%

But I thought there use to be 2 sale gimmicks or perks... like a sale price on zen and a charge bonus. Did they just combine it into 1 thing.

Cause I seem to recall you could never buy round even numbers of zen... I think it was due to the fact that zen was sold in stores on redemption cards and it had a built in bonus for the cards... like a $20 gift card had more than 2000 zen on it.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I think that's the best deal so far this year, but it's possible Black Friday, Xmas, New Years might be even better. That's a gamble though.

What they've had a few times is an extra "thing" bonus like holo-boff or ship or other in-game goods.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    We had the same sale at the beginning of July. It is really up to 25% off because the $200 Bundle always gives an extra 3,000 Zen, so you are getting 5,000 Zen Bonus or 25% of the 20,000 Zen.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Looks like since July 15th they are starting to charge 'Sales Tax' on Zen Purchases in the US in places where they weren't due to that Supreme Court ruling from last year.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    So if you use real money to buy a virtual currency you get charged 'Sales Tax', but if you buy that same item with virtual Dilithium you don't?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    So if you use real money to buy a virtual currency you get charged 'Sales Tax', but if you buy that same item with virtual Dilithium you don't?

Using dilithium isn't a 'sales transaction'.
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I really think sales tax shouldn't apply to zen personally. I can see it for games and other things. But the thing is, with this Supreme Court ruling. Zen costs more then its worth. With the current tax at least where I live. 50 dollars worth of money can only get you up to 4500 zen with the tax in place making it harder to get the full amount and I imagine its worse for other players. Zen costs more then its worth like I mentioned above. So basically the tax for 50 dollars worth of zen is 3.63 right now.
    2.18 for 3000 zen
    .73 for 1000 zen
    .36 for 500 zen.
    With the tax even 45 dollars worth of zen is 48.27 I think cryptic should find a way to compensate players effected by this. As zen is becoming undervalued. As 45 dollars worth of zen plus tax should equal the amount that you spent so in essence I think cryptic would be smart to do this. if you payed 3.27 extra. You get 3.27 extra zen free of charge. By doing this it might lesson the blow by the new tax system to players wanting to buy zen but only can get so much now because of the tax. It would be so much better to have 4827 zen then 4500 zen after spending 48 dollars. As I feel the zen should equal the amount that you spent like it was before the supreme court decision. I know cryptic is unlikely to ever do this. But they really really should. Because this new tax system is cheapening the value of the currency.

If you don't think it is being undervalued going by the pricing for 100 dollars worth of zen it is taxed at 7.25 and then 200 dollars it has a 14.50 dollar tax . So for 200 dollars, that would be something around 18550 zen. 100 dollars with the tax and you can only get up to 9000 zen.
    Going by a rough estimate this is how much zen you would be losing 5000 zen with price of 50$ you are losing 500 zen, 10000 zen for the price of 100$ you are losing 1000 zen, 20000 zen for the price of 200$ you are losing 1500 zen.

Post edited by thevampinator on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I really think sales tax shouldn't apply to zen personally. I can see it for games and other things. But the thing is, with this Supreme Court ruling. Zen costs more then its worth. . ...

Buy a game on Steam, pay tax. Rent a movie or buy an e-book from Amazon, pay tax. Buy zen, pay tax. If any of those purchases are no longer worth it because you must pay taxes then don't buy them.

This is sales tax, so it goes to your state to pay for schools, roads, protecting wilderness areas, everything else that your state does. You've benefited from taxes paid by the generations before you, now it's your turn to contribute.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I really think sales tax shouldn't apply to zen personally. I can see it for games and other things. But the thing is, with this Supreme Court ruling. Zen costs more then its worth. . ...

Buy a game on Steam, pay tax. Rent a movie or buy an e-book from Amazon, pay tax. Buy zen, pay tax. If any of those purchases are no longer worth it because you must pay taxes then don't buy them.

This is sales tax, so it goes to your state to pay for schools, roads, protecting wilderness areas, everything else that your state does. You've benefited from taxes paid by the generations before you, now it's your turn to contribute.

I'm all an dandy with that I'm all for helping the roads, protecting wilderness and helping pay for school supplies. The issue I have is this. Zen is basically like real money but real money converted to zen fake money. Zen is basically dollars placed into a video game currency. So 5000 zen is 50.00$ 100 zen is the equivalent of one dollar basically. So 100 x 50 is 5000 and 5000 zen is 50 dollars not 53 dollars. That is the issue I have with it. I'd rather that tax be on the ships and stuff in the game itself. Then have 50 dollars become 45 dollars. 100 dollars become 90 dollars, 200 dollars becoming 185 dollars.
    So for example a ship is 3000 zen. I'd rather pay 3218 zen in the game then have the currency devalued by having it taxed on the outside and thus lose 5.00 dollars worth of zen because you can only buy zen in fives. So I rather have the whole 50$ Aka 5000 and pay extra in the game itself then only having 4500 zen out of a whole 50 dollars.

Its like for example you take in coins worth 100 cents basically one dollar in coin form you have five of these coins to a cashier. Then the cashier takes the coins and gives you cash dollars but the cashier take out 25 cents off the value of the coins thus you end up getting only 3 dollars and 75 cents. Your 5 100 cent coins which were worth 5 dollars end up netting you 3.75 and you lose 1 dollar and 25 cents out of the transaction with the cashier. When you were better off spending the coins then exchanging them for dollars because the cashier basically undervalued it so he can get an extra 1.25 out for the store.

That is kinda how it is with the zen, dollar exchange with the tax but its different in the following ways, money exchange/steam charges 3.63 aka sales tax just to convert 50 dollars into another form of 50 dollars and losing 3.63 out of the total amount but also the owner of the currency your converting it too this case cryptic has a 5 dollar exchange threshold. Without the required threshold of 5$ with cryptic. You would be able to at least get 46.37 dollars worth of zen after the tax is taken out if it were not for the 5$ threshold. So basically you are losing out on converting that 1 dollar and 37 cents worth of zen because it doesn't meet the 5$ threshold while losing 3.63 dollars worth of zen because of the conversion tax.

Hopefully people understand my reasons for wanting the tax in game on ingame purchases then having the zen itself be taxed from the outside. Cryptic does charge zen tax where they have to with members of curtain countries because they are required too by law from what I understand. But most people don't have to worry about that in game tax. Could they work it out with steam to do it in the game then outside the game. Sure maybe they could. Totally would prefer it in game. It would be easier on me and allow me when I do get 50 dollars of steam wallet money to spend to just buy 50 dollars worth of zen without the outside tax for it and just pay that tax ingame where it should be.
    Post edited by thevampinator on
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited August 2019
    No corporation or business should ever "compensate" a customer for having to pay sales tax to the government. That's ridiculous. And they're already giving you free Zen with the charge bonus.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    No corporation or business should ever "compensate" a customer for having to pay sales tax to the government. That's ridiculous.
    Currency itself shouldn't be taxed and that it is is even just as ridiculous to me. The fact that zen is well currency. It should be worth the same as real currency the way it works it basically is a proxy for it. Maybe compensate isn't the best solultion maybe Cryptic perfect world could adjust the pricing to make it closer to the price of the zen going by what the sales tax is and adjusting the price so the zen price would stay within the value of the zens original price.

Given the internet sales tax thing is spreading to many more states. Unless you live in a state that doesn't require the collection of sales tax on internet services. The pricing will just make the zen look undervalue and the zen will cost more then what is given to you. When you start seeing prices like 6$ tax on 50$ and can only get 4000 out of 50$ that is going to be a problem. For folks wanting to spend money within their favorite cryptic mmos. Its kinda a big deal so having the pricing adjusted accordingly will be very important I think in the long haul. So for example if the sales tax is 3.63 maybe the zen could be sold for 47.30 dollars plus tax if the tax is say 3.00$ Zen would then cost up to 50.30$ Which would be a lot better then 53.63$. I don't expect cryptic to do anything right away just as things progress and when most of the states have it into place they could then look at it if they are willing. See what they can do for their customers. That would be a great help to those that can't afford to spend as much. I mean my family well my folks will go to a gas station that is several cents or maybe 20 cents cheaper for a gallon. I imagine a lot of folks do the same. A lot of people are not whales that can afford to spend thousands on lockbox keys they have lives and they have jobs and sometimes don't even get enough money to support their families.

Anyways I do have ten dollars in steam wallet money right now so I can afford the tax to get 5000 zen so I might just take advantage of it and get buy some ships or something. Not sure yet. I am happy they are having a sale. Since it is payday and I can get a steam card. I was thinking those cool looking pilot ships plus that one klingon ship that kinda looks like one of the engineer/space jockey ships seen in Alien, Prometheus and Alien Convent.

• Options
    They're charging 'Sales Tax' on Steam now? Somehow Amazon has not instituted this for their Kindle books. Other stuff yes for a while, but not those books.

The thing to do is use a VPN to make it seem you come from a no 'Sales Tax' State. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    They're charging 'Sales Tax' on Steam now? Somehow Amazon has not instituted this for their Kindle books. Other stuff yes for a while, but not those books.

The thing to do is use a VPN to make it seem you come from a no 'Sales Tax' State. ;)

Well I'd rather not risk doing that. Besides they possibly already know your accounts main location. I imagine some people do use Vpns for this purpose. Besides I'd rather not lag out my game using one of those. I'll live with the tax. Kinda have to in this life. Dodging it can possibly lead you to a felony or criminal charges and just not worth it. Also yes they are charging sales tax on steam.

So anyone have anything they are planning to buy with the zen bonus and discount event?
  • Options
    Funny I just saw a TV commercial for a Furniture Store. For this week, you pay no Sales Tax. Basically, they further discount the items purchased by the amount of the Sales Tax, making it a wash.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Funny I just saw a TV commercial for a Furniture Store. For this week, you pay no Sales Tax. Basically, they further discount the items purchased by the amount of the Sales Tax, making it a wash.

They are just labeling a regular sale as a "sales tax" sale for marketing purposes though, and shifting the discounts around. Instead of 20% off you get 12% off plus "free sales tax."

Yes, Steam and Amazon both do for at least some states, possibly not yours? I believe there is an exemption for states that don't meet some requirement for making the collection process reasonable. And as you mention there's a state or two with no tax.

They probably use your credit card billing address for setting the tax rate, so you'd need to change that too.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    No corporation or business should ever "compensate" a customer for having to pay sales tax to the government. That's ridiculous.
    Currency itself shouldn't be taxed and that it is is even just as ridiculous to me. The fact that zen is well currency.
    It isn't an actual currency in the legal sense, it's not like you can go to a money exchange and have the Zen turned into Dollars (legally), and you can't go to your local farmer's market and buy some vegetables with Zen.

If it was a real currency, then you would have to pay sales tax when you're buying some item in the Z-Store. It would still be the same result.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    I'm in New York - 8%. I checked my records and I have been paying Sales Tax on Amazon Digital games for many years. Kindle books are taxed based on the Publishers location. So far nothing.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Ok I found the old pricing for Zen.

$10 = 1,000 Zen + 15% Bonus = 1,150
    $20 = 2,000 Zen + 20% Bonus = 2,400
    $50 = 5,300 Zen + 20% Bonus = 6,360
    $100 = 11,000 Zen + 25% Bonus = 13,750
    $200 = 23,000 Zen + 25% Bonus = 28,750

Seems the old pricing model had more bang for the buck if you spent $50 or more. Not even factoring in that it was tax free.

$200 would normally net ya 23k zen... on sale time you would get a 25% bonus boosting that up to 28,750.

Right now the sale price only nets ya 28,000 zen. A reduction of 750 zen. Plus you pay sales tax now.
  • Options
    I've checked my records and 20,000 Zen before Black Friday 2016 netted 26,000 Zen (2000 normal Bonus and a 20% Charge Bonus on the 20,000). Starting with Black Friday 2016 it became 28,000 (3000 normal Bonus and a 25% Charge Bonus on the 20,000). The Charge Bonus never included the normal Bonus.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I've checked my records and 20,000 Zen before Black Friday 2016 netted 26,000 Zen (2000 normal Bonus and a 20% Charge Bonus on the 20,000). Starting with Black Friday 2016 it became 28,000 (3000 normal Bonus and a 25% Charge Bonus on the 20,000). The Charge Bonus never included the normal Bonus.

Umm I think your mistaken. there was always a "bonus" to buy zen it matched the gift cards. $200 netted ya 23000 zen.

On bonus days you got a charge bonus. 20% or 25% etc. Cause I had to run my math to figure out what amount had the best bang. You got more zen per $ if you spent more cash... then you had a bonus charge.

Otherwise there would be no point in spending $100 twice or $200 once.
  • Options
    tigeraries wrote: »

Umm I think your mistaken. there was always a "bonus" to buy zen it matched the gift cards. $200 netted ya 23000 zen.

On bonus days you got a charge bonus. 20% or 25% etc. Cause I had to run my math to figure out what amount had the best bang. You got more zen per $ if you spent more cash... then you had a bonus charge.

Otherwise there would be no point in spending $100 twice or $200 once.

I did my math back when they had a first times buyer bonus... that got me to buy zen. otherwise I was only free to play and stayed with event ships.
  • Options
    If it was always 3000 normal Bonus then the original Charge Bonus was 15% which would add up to 26000.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    If it was always 3000 normal Bonus then the original Charge Bonus was 15% which would add up to 26000.

things on internet lives forever!

during sale/bonus days

I believe the old pricing was thru sto/arc...

1000 zen: 15% bonus
    2000 zen: 20% bonus
    5300 zen: 20% bonus
    11000 zen: 25% bonus
    23000 zen: 25% bonus

if thru steam... no sto/arc built in extra zen at the 5k+ mark

500 zen + 15% bonus
    1000 zen + 15% bonus
    2000 zen + 20% bonus
    3000 zen + 20% bonus
    5000 zen + 20% bonus
    10000 zen + 25% bonus
    20000 zen + 25% bonus

You had an incentive to buy thru STO/ARC directly over going thru steam... it was the instore bonus vs going thru a 3rd party (steam). 5300 vs 5000, 11000 vs 10000 & 23000 vs 20000.

could be that the bonus zen did not include the extra zen built in to the sto/arc perk. /shrug
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User

I've checked my account purchases and for 2 of the sale (Feb 2019 & April 2019) I spent $100 and received 13,500 Zen. The same amount I would get today.

Here is the way I see it:

Not on sale you get 10,000 + 1,000 bonus zen for spending $100
    On sale you get 10,000 + 25% of 10,000 (2,500) + 1,000 bonus for spending $100

Not on sale = 11,000 zen
    This sale = 13,500 zen

You only get the extra 25% on the 10,000 zen not the bonus for spending $100. So basically you are getting an extra 2,500 for this sale if you spend $100 ...

Just my 2¢
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    $200 for 28,000 zen 40%

This what I have received for years (old purchase emails confirm it), so this is no different than before, and reflects both a sale price (in dollars) AND a bonus Zen reward.

Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    But not before Black Friday 2016, then 26,000.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    firebeard#3273 firebeard Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I read the arguments by the Supreme Court. It is only applicable to residents of the State in which the Merchant is located. The argument rules that a Sales Tax can only be applied to residents of said particular State and thus not enforceable outside the State of which the merchant resides. I also do not agree with the Courts decision. Zen is not a Good or Service. It should be exempt from Taxation.

I was Charged $268 CAD for a Lifetime Membership and another $268 CAD for 2(3)000 Zen. What that amounts to is, I was charged twenty-five percent (25%) for the exchange rate and fifteen percent (15%) for CA Taxes (7.5 x 2 purchases). That should have amounted to $265 CAD but the additional $3.00 is me being Taxed on the exchange rate LOL This is clearly an error by Cryptics accounting department.

It also denotes an extra $136 that I was no so inclined to pay at the time so, my future purchases will be affected because the value of the purchase has declined by as much as fifty percent (50%). The only possibility would be for Cryptic to either offer additional Zen as way of compensation or to offer Zen at competitive exchange prices. Many games already do this and it has been shown to increase financial stability.
    "Victory is not determined by whose armies are strongest. It is determined by who is left standing." - Napoléon
  • Options
    the sales tax you have to pay for outside US is for your countries vat or gst. it's used to pay for your social programs, PW does not pocket it for profit. so I do not see PW going to offer any bonus for it. zen is categorized as a good, virtual good. but yeah it's just you converting your cash to this virtual cash and you get taxed for it is a bit.... iffy. they should really do away with zen and let folks purchase with local currency.
  • Options
    firebeard#3273 firebeard Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Only if the merchant is located in my province. The Supreme Court(s) had to rules this way so as to avoid confusion of citizenship - only citizens of a particular country can pay local taxes. If I or anyone outside of the United States of America pays an american tax, it declares me or them to be an american citizen.

If I owned a home in Florida I would need to pay the local property taxes but as a resident and citizen of Canada I am exempt from taxation. It is the same as if I won a State lottery, I would not need to pay the taxes because I am Canadian - or any other nationality. The taxes being charged by Cryptic are only applicable to residents of California or U.S. citizens.

It is a poor ruling by the Supreme Court(s), in my opinion, and it will impact sales for many online companies. This is no fault of Cryptic and I wish things were different for them and us.
    "Victory is not determined by whose armies are strongest. It is determined by who is left standing." - Napoléon
This discussion has been closed.