test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would Someone Please Explain New Event System?

viperwitch23viperwitch23 Member Posts: 15 Arc User

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240253
Would someone please explain me what would it mean for events like current Sompek Arena?
I have 28 chars.
I ran Sompek on each of them to get 14 tokens to get box of 50k dill and 250 marks. And new gun.

If new system be account-wide - does it mean here be only 1 reward box per account and not per character?
Or I can fill that account-wide bar as many times as I want with all my chars and get a box per each one?
I spent millions of dill to outfit all my chars slowly so they be medium good in events to play each one in the space events - all for nothing now?

Thank you

---

Moderator please delete my other post as i posted it in wrong section
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    It sounds like 1 box per account not per character. That one character will potentially take weeks longer before they can unlock the reward. The flexibility and backup days have mostly been removed still a few but a tiny amount compared to now.

You will still get dill for running the extra characters although how much is unknown.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I wonder if some of the reason why they are doing this has some connection to the amount of Dil getting into the game with such events being much more frequent and the DZX Dill Zen Exchange getting higher with the Phoenix boxes not helping much. Seems like this might be their attempt to curb the event dill being generatored into the game. By making it an account wide system instead of a character by character. They can limit the dill coming into the game.

Going by what the thread maker said he/she farmed the event with 28 characters. One character alone might not be much but 28 over a period of time all having 50,000 dil per event after event. Just one event and having 28 that unlocked the reward I did the math with the goggle calculator and that amount ended up being 1,400,000. That is quite a bit of Dill. Just from the last event.

I imagine there are others that might do it on fifty characters. So determined with the farming of dil. That they log in and refine all those characters daily. They would through one event would have 2,500,000 dill I did the math of course. If they done it with other events too. Say three for example they would have at least 7,500,000 Dil. So yeah I can see why this could be a problem if more and more players are getting this rich when it comes to dil and farming upon farming it with the events system. I can see the reason or desire for them wanting to cap it to an account wide basis instead of a character by character basis. I think it might be one of the reasons why they are doing the event system change is to change the way it works not only for players to make it better in their view and easier but also to limit the amount of Dil coming into the game aka account wide system at the same time.

Killing two birds with one stone basically. One they can do more with events having it out of the rep system to make it easier for them to do a lot more with the events another they can limit the dill generatored by events. A win, win for them not so much for the player base that liked the system how it now or like being able to save up and progress later when the event manages to come around again so they can finish it up after having real life stuff that kept them from completing the events. But nothing we can do about it. They do what they do with the game not us we just are allowed the privilege to play it.
    Post edited by thevampinator on
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    phoenix would help, if at the same time discounts would not happen.
    edited August 2019
    garaks31 wrote: »
    phoenix would help, if at the same time discounts would not happen.

Well that might be another factor. I think the tfo sysem they have in place which replaced the old system that had different types of required item to complete the events might play a key role in dil exchange not going down and is one of the main culprits along with the discounts. The tfo completion tokens or whatever they called not only can they be saved up but also used for other events not related to the previous event making those events quicker do to but make it easier to dil farm. Say you finished the event after 14 runs and then there was ten more days of the event which you farm up thus giving you ten tfo thingies for the next event. The next event comes need to do 4 days get the dil and move on but then there is still twenty days left so what do you do you farm for the next one and then after getting twenty more tfo tokens your all set to auto complete the next event in one day. Doing this on many characters this means a lot of dil could be generatored into the game. If you farmed up the tokens and prepared for the next event where you can basically do nothing for and get the dil reward plus cool weapon and marks. Which if you have the reps up to rank 5 can be converted into more dil. So yeah if you play it right you can get a lot of dil from doing these events.
    edited August 2019
    As for the event system itself to explain it. What they are doing is making it kinda like the personal endeavors and endeavors system where you can instead of doing this thing over and over go and do other things to progress the event.
    So your sick and tired of discovery stuff. You can just go do the other things like go shoot borg or kill elachi or do this queue or whatever. Or Go play dabo and get event progress. So kinda gives multiple options. So if you want that risa ship but don't want to race or you want that winter event ship but don't want to farm the ice race for the tokens you can do other things not inside the event to unlock the new event ships. This is how its going to work for the foreseeable future. I could be wrong though but I think this was how they described it in the twich streams. I don't know we will have to see when it comes out how it all works. It might work like it use to do but just have an account wide progress instead of per character. But I think its going to work like the endeavors system.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Events were never an optimal way to farm dil anyway (except the CCA event).

This is exactly how they should've made the events work when they first made the rewards account-wide in 2014. Account-wide progress for account-wide reward. We would've avoided all the token hoarding scandals over the years.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Might not have been optimal but they were at least a bit more engaging than doffing or admiralty, both of which are queued up and left to bake rather than engage the player.

As I said in the vanished forum thread I think the blogpost would have been better served by giving some visuals to go along with the text. To give an idea of what it looks like (written by UI dev but no showing off) but also to give a better explanation of how it'll work by going through a hypothetical event. Or as a radical enterprise upload a short video to youtube running through it.

Not sure they want to be curtailing the dilithium folk can earn from events, mainly because of the impact it will have on the already stressed zen exchange. Pushing folk too hard into buying zen for cash will eventually push them away from the game. This may have been the most financially successful F2P year for the game but a lot of that does seem to be down to monetization tweaks (such as FTFO buyouts) rather than drawing people into the mindset that they want to support the game.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    We'll have to see how the "and once you've finished the main task, you can..." part shakes out.

I've never done the "run it 14 times on many characters" thing. I mostly just clear the Anniv/Summer/Winter ship on one character, then do extra runs on my other characters for the 40 marks/day.

The revamp does seem like it's to curb the people who got all in on these events with millions of alts. Meanwhile, it doesn't seem like it'll make any difference for me (on the Sompek/Mirror Invasion/Crystal/etc events) because I've never been able to push myself to do them 14 times in the first place.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    All right, having read that announcement with a cup of coffee in hand, my own explanation for what it's worth (and let's face it, my opinion and five darseks will get you a cup of raktajino at Quark's):

It's said that the way the events work will not change - the Summer Event will still be flying over Risa, the Winter Event will still be the Ice Race, etc. However, you don't have to keep doing that grind on the same toon over and over - if, for instance, I want to run around with Adm. Grunt one day, but switch to LtCdr Rutsey the next, I can run the event on both of them and still have each count toward the progress (where currently I'd get progress toward the goal with only one toon).

Mostly, the announcement revealed that Events will have their own UI tab, so for instance I don't have to open the calendar every time I want to get to an Event and I'm not on the right planet or in the right sector (sometimes I've got other things I want to do that day, not just skim over Risa or fail the ice race). Other details were scanty, probably because they're still being worked on.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Getting rid of tokens, and letting any character earn progress towards the reward are nice quality of life improvements for casual players like me. I can get more variety from the event by switching characters instead of needing to do 14-25 days of repetition on a single character.

It's probably bad news for the farmers, but we don't know what the after-completion ongoing rewards are like yet.

In my opinion favoring players over grinders is a good thing, but I can understand some people being upset over losing a dil source.
  • sharmutashlikha#2072 sharmutashlikha Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    I'm concerned with how, or if, I'll be able to finish unfinished slotted old event projects.
    Furthermore, if I read it correctly, I'm not able to finish a new event while it is active, there is no way but spending Zen to finish it.
    It may just come to the point that I won't bother with events at all. That would, on the other hand, make the game less like a job.
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I'm not seeing where it says we MUST spend money to finish an event.

Don't forget that the last time that they revamped event projects, they actually autocompleted old ones for us.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fun4ever#6757 fun4ever Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    I think new event system will work similar to personal endeavor.

I dont understand... why some ppl have so many "unfinished slotted projects" ???
    All ship (and most of other) events takes ~5 minutes per day... Dont tell me about yours job/family/ill problems (everyone have problems from time to time), its MMO and if you dont bother to play 5 MINUTES a day to get free ship - you simply dont want it...
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You know they are still selling the Sompek Featured TFO Commendation Bundle in the C-Store. Right now I am almost exclusively playing my Discovery Character. I have 2.4 Million Unrefined on that Character. Since I 'activated' that Character for the Winter Event that is the only Character that I use for Events, Featured TFO or otherwise.

I have also purchased every Featured TFO Commendation Bundle, for the Tokens and the Ultimate Upgrade. I also do 20-21 days of the TFO Event (except for Sompek where I only did 7). I slot the Main Project but rarely, if ever, do I do the Bonus Projects. I have 60 Featured TFO Commendation Tokens.

I am not gaming the system for Dilitium and I am not gaming the system for Tokens or am a 'hoarder' like some imply. I just wish they get their sh*t together already and stop with this 'here is our new ubiquitous Token, forget that, this, uhh... no not that'.

These Tokens purchased and earned better be worth something golly-gee-willikers, if they are to pass into the beyond.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I dont understand... why some ppl have so many "unfinished slotted projects" ???
    All ship (and most of other) events takes ~5 minutes per day... Dont tell me about yours job/family/ill problems (everyone have problems from time to time), its MMO and if you dont bother to play 5 MINUTES a day to get free ship - you simply dont want it...

Real Life is unpredictable. So just attacking like that is uncalled for.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

These Tokens purchased and earned better be worth something golly-gee-willikers, if they are to pass into the beyond.

I am not sure if it was a dev reply to some post here or on reddit, or if it was in the Weekly Stream, but they mentioned that they have something planned for tokens this time, though I believe it won't be done yet with the release of the new Event UI. Just hold onto it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    ltminns wrote: »

I am not sure if it was a dev reply to some post here or on reddit, or if it was in the Weekly Stream, but they mentioned that they have something planned for tokens this time, though I believe it won't be done yet with the release of the new Event UI. Just hold onto it.

It's here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1250752/ten-forward-weekly-29-08-2019

I never throw any of these type things away.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Supposedly the amount of dilithium you get for this is going to be the "average" amount. So, in other words, probably the same as of you ran it on two characters, but only refined it halfway on one and then just deleted them.

I also strongly hope they do autocomplete stuff, and that it actually works, otherwise I'll be a very sad camper.
    It may just come to the point that I won't bother with events at all. That would, on the other hand, make the game less like a job.
    What's your job like that STO's login-for-5-minutes-once-a-day events feel the same? I want a job like that. :D
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Don't forget that the last time that they revamped event projects, they actually autocompleted old ones for us.

Right here:
    Probably the most exciting part of this UI is the ability to give players more benefits for participating in events. Any progress you accumulate won’t simply disappear when the event ends. This means if you have to quit an event early you don’t completely lose your progress and you can purchase a discounted reward in the Zen Store. If you complete the event we will also offer daily bonuses of Dilithium that increase the more you play.

So, you either finish the event or use Zen to buy the reward, whatever that reward might be.
    I'm curious to see how this "discount" is going to work: is it going to depend on how much you've filled the progess bar? Is it goint to be a fixed amount no matter how much you've participated? Is it going to be account-wide (I'm leaning toward the "yes", seing as it's something that we'll be able to buy on the C-STORE, but a confirmation would be nice)?

So, in the end, if you can't finish an event for whatever reason, you either have enough Dilithium that you don't need for anything else (i.e. reputation projects, fleet stuff, fleet projects. etc.) to convert or you pay money to get a reward that, up until now, was free for everyone.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    rattler2 wrote: »

Right here:
    Probably the most exciting part of this UI is the ability to give players more benefits for participating in events. Any progress you accumulate won’t simply disappear when the event ends. This means if you have to quit an event early you don’t completely lose your progress and you can purchase a discounted reward in the Zen Store. If you complete the event we will also offer daily bonuses of Dilithium that increase the more you play.

So, yeah. You either have enough Dilithium to convert or you pay money to get something that, up until now, was free to obtain.

Would be nice to know how this discount is going to work, though.
    Is it going to be a fixed amount?
    Is it going to depend on how much you've participated in the event?
    Is the purchase going to be account-wide (I'm leaning toward the "yes", seeing as it will be something bought on the C-Store, but you never know).​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User

Well, let me see here.

Someone wants to take advantage of a flash sale here in game. Unfortunately, it will end before they get off work and their job doesn't allow employees internet access. If caught, they will be fired. It's something that would only take "5 minutes" so if they really wanted it they would do it. It's just a job.

Someone is in the process of moving. Their internet has been shut off at the old place and won't be installed in the new one for more than a week. Thanks to the local library, they can at least get online to get emails and surf the web for a bit. But playing a game? No. So it's their fault they "simply dont want it". Gotcha.

People in parts of Florida are preparing for a major hurricane. But hey, the event will only take 5 minutes, I'm sure nothing bad could happen in that time. So they should take the 5 minutes and run the event for the last day. If they don't, they really must not want that event reward that they spent all the prior days working towards, either. Seems logical.

/sarcasm

House burns down. Relative dies and the funeral is out of town. In a car accident and in the hospital. The list can go on.

And you think that a game should take precedence? Even when a person may have zero input into the decision? I'm glad your life is all rainbows and unicorns, where nothing bad ever happens.

Just because someone has something happen to them outside the norm doesn't mean they may not want something from an event in a game. Which is why they participated as much as their time allowed them. That is why some people have unfinished events. Some people have issues happen out of their control more than once, which is why some people have more than 1 unfinished event project.

Players were recently told that events would be rolled into one "currency" and that we could essentially save up these tokens by running events past the days needed for the current event reward, in order to stockpile. That way, if one of these major life changing events happened, a player could still get their rewards. Perhaps not by running the specific event, but because they played a prior event enough in order to do so. Effort and time was put in.

Now it seems we're going backwards and making events "exclusive" again. Run the event for X amount of days out of Y available days in order to get rewarded. With the way it currently is, they could just wait for the event to cycle back around and finish it out then. But apparently not after this change goes in. Which means that if anything happens to a player that prevents them from participating for a long enough period, they will lose out on the event item.

For free.

There will be a way of finishing the project apparently, but only by paying with Zen. Which for some people means real money. This change is simply a way for the game to be even more monetized that it currently is.

And I understand the idea behind it, if not the implementation. I personally don't care for it, but it is what it is. If the game is not making enough money, cuts could happen. Be it cutting back the amount of content or laying off personnel.

I'll wait and see exactly how this all plays out and hope for the best.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    How can we explain it , when the people who created it won't yet, but soon©®™. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Stockpiling event tokens for future use has never been the intended purpose. The extra event projects were added for players to use those extra tokens on. Just because one could stockpile, though, doesn't mean that was the intended design. I would think it should be obvious by now, what with all the changes to event currency in the past, and now these more recent changes. Stockpiling was never intended.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Stockpiling event tokens for future use has never been the intended purpose. The extra event projects were added for players to use those extra tokens on. Just because one could stockpile, though, doesn't mean that was the intended design. I would think it should be obvious by now, what with all the changes to event currency in the past, and now these more recent changes. Stockpiling was never intended.
    Yeah. They said as much when they changed the ship event tokens to the yearly-expiring versions in 2015. Players are not meant to skip events using tokens saved from previous ones. I knew the moment they made the minor event rewards account-wide but left the tokens per-character, that a token revamp would be coming. Because that's the exact same scenario that led to the ship token revamp.

But even when they outright deleted all the old event tokens a while ago, people were still proudly declaring their intention to hoard FTFO tokens to skip events they didn't like. As if it wasn't blatantly obvious that the devs were in the process of putting a stop to that.
    edited August 2019
    Whether stockpiling was intended or not - and really, if they never meant for us to do it, they should've never made the tokens like they currently are - it doesn't change the fact that they want us to pay to buy the rewards if we can't make it for the full event.
    Just as it doesn't change the fact that, to skip an event entirely, we still had to grind 28 days to get enough tokens to allow us to do it - or pay to get the buyout option from the C-Store.

Ultimately, this is nothing more than a dilithium sink... for some, at least.
    The "average amount of dilithium" on which they're gonna base the bonus we're gonna get when - or if, at this point - we finish an event will never be on par with what many actually got, because they grinded for the resources. Which is not illegal, might I remind you. There is nothing that says we can't grind to get resources, as long as we do not use a bug or an exploit to do so.
    We didn't use any cheat to make the tokens stay in our banks/inventories. They stayed put all on their own.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

Whether stockpiling was intended or not - and really, if they never meant for us to do it, they should've never made the tokens like they currently are - it doesn't change the fact that they want us to pay to buy the rewards if we can't make it for the full event.
    Just as it doesn't change the fact that, to skip an event entirely, we still had to grind 28 days to get enough tokens to allow us to do it - or pay to get the buyout option from the C-Store.

T6 token: 30-50 days depending on how many of the double token weekends you used, 13-33 spare days of spare time
    Event ships: 15 days (anniversary) or 25 (Winter & Summer) with weeks of spare time
    TFOs: 14 days with 7 days of spare time

As generous as Cryptic has always been with spare days, it seems clear they want you to log in and play more than they want you to buy tokens.

This discussion has been closed.