test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Most Underused Race/Faction

2»

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    See plenty of Orions. But rarely see male Orions.

Tbh that could party due male orion not really having any good traits (the orion are the only race (IIRC) where the different genders have seperate traits).
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    The old 5 year anniversary infographic shows:
    - Talaxian at 0.1% as the lowest
    - Ferasan 0.3%,
    - Tellarite, Pakled at 0.4%
    - Rigelian, Reman at 0.5%,
    - Bolian, Nausicaan at 0.6%
    - Lethean 0.7%
    - Benzite, Caitian 0.8%
    - Ferengi 1.1%
    - Saurian 1.2%
    - Gorn 2.1%
    - Liberated Borg, Andorian 2.2%
    - Bajoran, Orion 2.6%
    - Betazoid 3.9%
    - Romulan 4.6%
    - Trill 6%
    - Vulcan 11%
    - Klingon 7.8%
    - Alien 16%
    - Human on top at 30%

From that list I have maxed level toons of the following persuasions: Female Talaxian; Male Ferasan; Male Pakled; Male Reman; Male Benzite; Female Ferengi; Male & Female Liberated Borg; Male Andorian; Female Orion; Male & Female Romulan; Male Joined Trill; Male Vulcan; Male Klingon [KDF]; and beyond that two Human Females and a Jem'Hadar Vanguard.

I like a lot of the more oddball choices and hardly ever play human male characters since I spend enough time with myself as is!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    At least female Orion boffs fetch by far the highest prices on the exchange. Followed - with respectful distance - by human and almost human (Bajoran, Trill, Betazoid) females. With Tellarites or Rigellians prices between males and females don't differ any more. So there's that.
    No. Remans are the highest, followed by custom aliens then romulans with SRO. Everything else generally not far from the price-point of the training manuals they would turn into.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    We shouldn't put too much stock into a 5 year old census. Entirely new demographics and fans have come and gone from the Kelvin movies, Discovery, and even just from the passage of time.

That list also doesn't separate things by faction or gender, so it's really not so useful for determining what could be made more or less desirable (male Orions need more desirability, because I guarantee that if it was broken down, they'd be as low as Pakleds and Tellarites.) This is all not even mentioning that I see waaaayyyy more than 1.1% of players using kitty-Caits.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    That list also doesn't separate things by faction or gender, so it's really not so useful for determining what could be made more or less desirable (male Orions need more desirability, because I guarantee that if it was broken down, they'd be as low as Pakleds and Tellarites.) This is all not even mentioning that I see waaaayyyy more than 1.1% of players using kitty-Caits.
    That makes no sense. Why should any cosmetic option need more or less "desirability" than what people want their characters to look like?
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    That makes no sense. Why should any cosmetic option need more or less "desirability" than what people want their characters to look like?

Admittedly, there's no real reason for changing desirability beyond 'it would be nice to see more species out there', but there's nothing saying that future changes can't be cosmetic options for those who may be lacking. I will also mention that the differences aren't just cosmetic. Traits are separated between species, which does drive a tiny bit of decision here and there, particularly in the super DPS crowd.

But back on topic, I just think it would be nice if some races had a bit more customizability to their names. It would make those species more *desirable* to me, while still being cosmetic.
    To be honest with orions gender selection isn't purely cosmetic (they're only race as far I know to be like that as well), with females having placate and confuse resist and reduced threat generation, while males get additional physical damage and a low chance of a knock back. (link to the wiki to show I'm not talking BS:https://sto.gamepedia.com/Orion).

So male Orions get traits that really are only fit for a melee build (apart from the "seduce" active trait both genders get) and there's better races for a melee focused characters, while the females gets more useful traits (extra resist to CC is never bad and if you're not tanking -threat doesn't hurt either).
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I made a male green alien but it's not supposed to be an Orion, I simply tried to make an alien look like Xizor from the Star Wars EU.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I made a male green alien but it's not supposed to be an Orion, I simply tried to make an alien look like Xizor from the Star Wars EU.

Well the orion don't have exclusivity on green skin color, my FED main has a green(ish) skin and she doesn't look like an orion at all (and is of a species of my own creation).
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I'm honestly curious why male Orions get the Seduce ability, which always seemed to be a female-exclusive thing in the show. Especially when everything else about their race trait is different from the female version.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    xyquarze wrote: »
    At least female Orion boffs fetch by far the highest prices on the exchange. Followed - with respectful distance - by human and almost human (Bajoran, Trill, Betazoid) females. With Tellarites or Rigellians prices between males and females don't differ any more. So there's that.
    No. Remans are the highest, followed by custom aliens then romulans with SRO. Everything else generally not far from the price-point of the training manuals they would turn into.

Okay, I misstated, I meant "boffs gotten by doff missions". And while most are in the 10k range, females (of sufficiently human looks) often go beyond 100k, and a female Orion can easily fetch 500k, sometimes a million and more.

But I completely forgot about Cardies who go beyond that still.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    1 thing is disappointing with the nausicaan, you can't create a character that looks like the npc pirate captains.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Lethean are fun because of their mind vaporization. :D

Fed side, I would say Joined-Trill are under rated. It is a well established race that the game really doesn't do justice. We have mods and things for just about everything in the game, except symbionts. Different experienced symbionts that could be added to a Joinable Trill to improve their ground and space skills. The symbiont flavors could be science, engineering, or tactical focues with some more specialized versions for rewards, C-Store or Lobi purchases, etc. A Joined-Trill's Captain's skills could vary based on the symbiont they are joined to as well.

KDF side is really a toss up. Lethean because they are Efficiant, not that the trait is very useful anymore, but because of the mind vaporization. If we had some more races this side, like Hirogen, then I would say that would fit in with something more unique. Especially if the Hirogen had daily hunts you could do to help differenciate from the usual grind.
This discussion has been closed.