test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

QoL - Bridge Officers - Player select traits on commission?

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
They should give players the right to select the traits & abilities a bridge officer gets when first commissioned.

it's not that hard I dont think... they have the table of traits and abilities a BO can have... just give folks a check box to tick off the traits the BO will have and abilities they should start off with. If they dont care they can check off the random check box and it'll be up to the system.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Wouldnt that defeat the need to run projects for getting specific boffs? also why would you need special boffs if you could get a simple one and just choose what you want. I think it wouldnt be a bad idea on a New game - but how they set up the game over the years it would defeat lots of their systems including boffs from holdings, special projects and special packs
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Wouldnt that defeat the need to run projects for getting specific boffs? also why would you need special boffs if you could get a simple one and just choose what you want. I think it wouldnt be a bad idea on a New game - but how they set up the game over the years it would defeat lots of their systems including boffs from holdings, special projects and special packs

I dont see how this would end it... regular humans have X traits and abilities. BO from K13 have their own.

Research will have Krenim BOs. Colony have Lukari/Kentari and they too have their own traits and abilities.

The BO missions to recruit will still be the same... you just can choose what traits/abilities they start off with. You cant choose a trait or ability they would can never get.
    tigeraries wrote: »

I dont see how this would end it... regular humans have X traits and abilities. BO from K13 have their own.

Research will have Krenim BOs. Colony have Lukari/Kentari and they too have their own traits and abilities.

The BO missions to recruit will still be the same... you just can choose what traits/abilities they start off with. You cant choose a trait or ability they would can never get.

Then you mean to pick from their default ones

Yes from the defaults attached to the race maybe it wouldnt be too bad but expect a high fall in price for SRO and others that people pay more if they got specific traits - I personally do not bother with boff trading though
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It would completely destroy whatever value there is left in boff candidates.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Picking the traits for Boffs would be nice, I'm kinda tired of having AlienGen Orion Boffs with the Cold-Blooded trait... seriously, every AlienGen boff in existence seems to have that one trait in common.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    I'm seriously hoping that the BOFF revamp that was mentioned a few weeks ago includes the ability to change their Rarity/Traits.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    I'm seriously hoping that the BOFF revamp that was mentioned a few weeks ago includes the ability to change their Rarity/Traits.

Having a way to upgrade them and progress(in a way how we progress) would be nice yes

I dont think they will let us ever pick any trait outside of boff's race's defaults due to some boffs acquired with certain means that have special traits(k-13, embassy, event, c-store boffs)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator

Having a way to upgrade them and progress(in a way how we progress) would be nice yes

I dont think they will let us ever pick any trait outside of boff's race's defaults due to some boffs acquired with certain means that have special traits(k-13, embassy, event, c-store boffs)

Having a BOFF Academy/Training/Upgrade/Crafting-like system for increasing Rarity and/or upgrading/changing Traits would be great.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Would that be at the TUFIRUCT Academy on Rigel VII? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited August 2019

Boff skilltrees would be nice. Maybe boff spec trees, too.
    Not unless they replace the whole boff trait system, at least.
    picking traits from default list is good enough... sci boff should have creative, for purple BO I need Sup Creative. Why Sup Covert? Or Sup Aggression? I dont want my healer generating extra aggro.

and yes, when my Rom gets a Romulan BO I want to select SRO as a trait... even if they limit it to 1 Sup trait in Space and 1 in Ground it'll be better than the random gunk we get.
    and yes, when my Rom gets a Romulan BO I want to select SRO as a trait...
    Which is exactly why the current system would break if you could choose.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I'd also like to see a boff revamp but I'd want there to be some hoops and hurdles for me to jump through to improve my boffs. I don't just want it to be a trait selection screen with all traits freely accessible and zero pain involved. Where's the fun in that?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    The right to select Boff Traits was part of the US Constitution's Bill of Rights wasn't it? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    warpangel wrote: »
    and yes, when my Rom gets a Romulan BO I want to select SRO as a trait...
    Which is exactly why the current system would break if you could choose.

no it wont break it... it'll just decrease the resale value of BOs on the exchange. you can get one without spending a single ec if you wait long enough to do the BO recruit mission enough times. it's a time saver... a QoL improvement.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Personally I'd prefer that if boff traits were selectble you'd have a "skill budget" based on the rarity off the boff, so you can't just buy a green officer for cheap and then turn them into an OP super-boff that's good at everything.

For example lets say you have budget of 200 trait points for a green rarity boff, also that a superior traits cost 100 point, normal cost 50 and basic one 25. Lets say you want a boff with the "superior romulan operative" trait. now this would mean that in order to have 4 traits in total 2 of those would have to be "basic" ones since 100+50+(2*25)=200.

This way you'd have to still think what traits you want and not just mindlessly but the best traits in superior quality. obviously you might want also limit the number of "slots" for traits and maybe limit the avaibility of certain traits to certain races, but that's up for Cryptic to deside.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    @spiritborn The BOff trait system already works like that. https://sto.gamepedia.com/Bridge_Officer_traits

Each rarity already has a specific number of basic, standard, and superior traits they may get, and the pools from which the traits are gathered are already separated by species. All that would need to be done is take the existing lists of traits and change things from a random choice to a player choice.

The only possible problem would be the "required" traits part, but that should be simple enough, because even those already have rarities built in.

It shouldn't be any more difficult to program than the same change that player characters underwent all those years ago, and may even end up being easier since they'd have the old code to at least study, since spaghetti is hard to copy and paste.
    And not like the Re-engineering slot machine.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I can get behind this.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

Having a BOFF Academy/Training/Upgrade/Crafting-like system for increasing Rarity and/or upgrading/changing Traits would be great.

no thx. that will be again a tool with sliders, time gate, and with a pitiful random system.

boffs are great like they are currently.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    The random chance nature of the boffs, traits, and rarity add something to the game.

I'm generally opposed to changes that allow for instant gratification, rather than the steady build-over-time - the exception being when something is so rare that it creates absurd inflation to the in-game economy.

When a player can get anything he wants relatively easily, the game inevitably will become boring. The hunt, search, and excitement of finally finding what you want is worth the wait. There is an ineffable joy from finding a boff with the exact set of traits for which you've been searching or doing a doff mission and getting a boff reward that is exactly what you want - THAT is a "surprise mechanic" that really does create enjoyment.
    The random chance nature of the boffs, traits, and rarity add something to the game.

I'm generally opposed to changes that allow for instant gratification, rather than the steady build-over-time - the exception being when something is so rare that it creates absurd inflation to the in-game economy.

When a player can get anything he wants relatively easily, the game inevitably will become boring. The hunt, search, and excitement of finally finding what you want is worth the wait. There is an ineffable joy from finding a boff with the exact set of traits for which you've been searching or doing a doff mission and getting a boff reward that is exactly what you want - THAT is a "surprise mechanic" that really does create enjoyment.
    I agree.

Although to be honest, other than SRO the traits on random boffs are more or less irrelevant as they are.
    warpangel wrote: »

I agree.

Although to be honest, other than SRO the traits on random boffs are more or less irrelevant as they are.

A better idea yet, would be Cryptic to revisit traits with knowledge on which traits are useful and why and try rebalance into making others more useful or just give some way to progress boffs and train them into learning more things(with limitations depending on race and class)
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    SRO for everyone, and the discussion is closed :p
This discussion has been closed.