test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Most Underused Race/Faction

manticore#2095 manticore Member Posts: 7 Arc User
So I've recently started playing,ive tried the Tutorials for all the different factions. Now I have a preference for playing lesser used classes and races in most games.

Now I get the impression Federation out numbers KDF, and Romulan attach to both factions.

So taking that into consideration, I'm thinking of concentrating on KDF, there seems to be quite a few Orions knocking about.

So I'm thinking maybe a Lethean.

So my question is what faction, race, and career classes do you believe are the most uncommon.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I dont see around many playing a Lethean too

I would put it like this on KDF from most popular to least popular: Orions(due to females), Klingons, Gorn, Nausicaans, Letheans

Not taking into considaration races unlocked through c-store
  • manticore#2095 manticore Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    > @lordmerc22 said:
    > I dont see around many playing a Lethean too
    >
    > I would put it like this on KDF from most popular to least popular: Orions(due to females), Klingons, Gorn, Nausicaans, Letheans
    >
    > Not taking into considaration races unlocked through c-store

Thanks. That's kind of the Impression that I had as well.

I was thinking of going for a Lesser used race, and then see if I can bring in a few and set up a 'KDF Auxillia' Fleet, filled with Gorn, Nausicans, Letheans etc.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I have no data specific to STO, but in general in games where race has no significant impact on gameplay their popularity tends to correlate with how human they look. Completely human-looking ones being the most common and the most inhuman ones the least common.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    The old 5 year anniversary infographic shows:
    - Talaxian at 0.1% as the lowest
    - Ferasan 0.3%,
    - Tellarite, Pakled at 0.4%
    - Rigelian, Reman at 0.5%,
    - Bolian, Nausicaan at 0.6%
    - Lethean 0.7%
    - Benzite, Caitian 0.8%
    - Ferengi 1.1%
    - Saurian 1.2%
    - Gorn 2.1%
    - Liberated Borg, Andorian 2.2%
    - Bajoran, Orion 2.6%
    - Betazoid 3.9%
    - Romulan 4.6%
    - Trill 6%
    - Vulcan 11%
    - Klingon 7.8%
    - Alien 16%
    - Human on top at 30%
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    I'm surprised that Orions are the 8th, based on what people want on these forums and what I see in cross faction social hubs I would put the top 3 as orion, alien and humans at third, I guess STO playerbase is more mature then it seems at times.
    Well Talaxian to an extent is the "Neelix Effect"

If you do the missions with Neelix a lot of times

then you dont want to see a talaxian again
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    the problem with the gorn, lethean, nausicaan is the lack of a female counterpart; I doubt that they use the cell mitosis for reproduction.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I would play Gorn more if it was available on other factions.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    the problem with the gorn, lethean, nausicaan is the lack of a female counterpart; I doubt that they use the cell mitosis for reproduction.

That is an issue I'd like female options for those races since I kinda only play female characters now. The only male ones I have are the two jemis I have and I did my best on the one to look more female. I think it was lazy them not adding a female lethean and Nausicaan. Something I hope they at least work on doing. Jem Hadar I understand as teh lore states that there is only males among the race and cryptic considers them to be genderless but beta lore kinda has them as them all being males because of them basically being test tube babies. But as for the Nausicaan and leathean I don't see a point in having this male only restriction. They did make female remans they for sure can make female Nausicaans and Leatheans.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »

If you do the missions with Neelix a lot of times

then you dont want to see a talaxian again

I think its really do to their lifetime race stasis. as for being the reason why there isn't that many of them.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator

The issue with the Gorn is that they are far more alien than even the Saurians. We've never seen a female Gorn before on screen. Do the Gorn follow the same rules as most reptile species on Earth? If so... they would not have obvious female features as found on Mammals. Odds are they would just be larger than the males, which is better to defend the eggs with.

So I guess all those people with big, beefy, Heavy Weapons Guy sized Gorn... are actually female Gorn.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

The issue with the Gorn is that they are far more alien than even the Saurians. We've never seen a female Gorn before on screen. Do the Gorn follow the same rules as most reptile species on Earth? If so... they would not have obvious female features as found on Mammals. Odds are they would just be larger than the males, which is better to defend the eggs with.

So I guess all those people with big, beefy, Heavy Weapons Guy sized Gorn... are actually female Gorn.

I see the Gorn as asexual, like the Nameks of Dragon Ball. They are all masculine androgynous.

Just as I picture the Iconians as feminine androgynous. (they are in my own head cannon)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    If they are aliens then why would they be exactly the same as a similar looking creature on earth? Also they are bipedal which is not normal for the earth creature.
    I'm sure that the gorn are hermaphrodite, just like the garden snails. :p
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Maybe the military and other careers that would take someone off-word are male-dominated in Gorn culture? As in the Females are not playable because they don't usually take off-world jobs.

I see the Gorn as asexual, like the Nameks of Dragon Ball. They are all masculine androgynous.

Just as I picture the Iconians as feminine androgynous. (they are in my own head cannon)

If the Gorn were like the Namekians, they'd be hermaphrodites. That's what Akira Toriyama said they were in an interview.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    I suppose that does account for a drop in use.

What about the classes
    Science, Engineering, Tactical

Any info on prevalence on the classes?

(I went for Lethean Engineering Officer)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Orions are the 8th, based on what people want on these forums and what I see in cross faction social hubs I would put the top 3 as orion, alien and humans at third, I guess STO playerbase is more mature then it seems at times.
    Orions are KDF-only which by definition makes them minority. Klingons being above them is to be expected because they are more famous in the source material, the default race for the faction and also available for Feds. There really isn't anything at all surprising about that list. As I said, the most human-looking ones at the top is normal.
    That data is from the 5-year infographic, published some 2 months after talaxians were first made playable. They are also LTS-only. It would be a right miracle if they were any higher no matter what.

Even most mammals don't have the "obvious female features." If anything the fact almost every race has the same dimorphism as humans is far more implausible than the few races that don't. For that matter, asexual reproduction is a plausible explanation as well.

As it is, there are plenty of "human with rubber face bits" -aliens for peeps who don't want to play a too alien alien. I would like to see all the alien features enabled for custom aliens, though. For maximum creativity.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Orions are KDF-only which by definition makes them minority. Klingons being above them is to be expected because they are more famous in the source material, the default race for the faction and also available for Feds. There really isn't anything at all surprising about that list. As I said, the most human-looking ones at the top is normal.
    That data is from the 5-year infographic, published some 2 months after talaxians were first made playable. They are also LTS-only. It would be a right miracle if they were any higher no matter what.

Even most mammals don't have the "obvious female features." If anything the fact almost every race has the same dimorphism as humans is far more implausible than the few races that don't. For that matter, asexual reproduction is a plausible explanation as well.

As it is, there are plenty of "human with rubber face bits" -aliens for peeps who don't want to play a too alien alien. I would like to see all the alien features enabled for custom aliens, though. For maximum creativity.

I love redoing missions on my alts and on my main but when it goes to do the missions where Neelix is heavily featured - I avoid them, lol
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I suppose that does account for a drop in use.

What about the classes
    Science, Engineering, Tactical

Any info on prevalence on the classes?

(I went for Lethean Engineering Officer)

It seems the 5 Year Anniversary Infographic is still posted here.

There was a follow-up one but that one contained very little information -> link.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User

Good point. In fact, it is quite possible that some of the Gorn seen on screen actually are female and no one mentioned the fact so there is no way to tell. There voices might not even give a clue, or they may even be reversed from a human point of view, with the female voices deeper or whatever.

The sex of the actor under all the appliances is not even a valid indicator since Star Trek had people playing the opposite sex several times in TOS to get the looks of some of the aliens right (like the Talosians in The Cage were all male even though they had thin, petite actresses playing the parts for example).
    OK. Given the lack of some races, I'm interested in trying to set up a fleet with all of those unused and neglected KDF races.

If anyone is interested in starting or has a lesser used race.
    I've set up a new link to the thread in Fleet recruitment.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1250707/kdf-auxillia/p1?new=1
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    If they are aliens then why would they be exactly the same as a similar looking creature on earth? Also they are bipedal which is not normal for the earth creature.

Because preservers. Real alien species would be way more different in size (though still in the same order of magnitude for multiple reasons) and appearance, and certainly not sexually compatible if it weren't for the preservers. And tradition in made up folks. And 1960s production values.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    My previous experience with MMOs had shown that seeing mostly undressed females overruled any faction considerations and Orions get most skimpy default outfits without exploiting bugs.

In fact IIRC in all other ape species females are flat chested when they don't have young babies to feed, humans being unique in that female aren't flat chested as default.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    Saurians and that species that I don't even remember the name of. The one that needs those tubes to breathe. Captain Dralia or Dalia on Kobali Prime was a member of the species.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Saurians and that species that I don't even remember the name of. The one that needs those tubes to breathe. Captain Dralia or Dalia on Kobali Prime was a member of the species.

That would be the Benzite.
    My previous experience with MMOs had shown that seeing mostly undressed females overruled any faction considerations and Orions get most skimpy default outfits without exploiting bugs.

At least female Orion boffs fetch by far the highest prices on the exchange. Followed - with respectful distance - by human and almost human (Bajoran, Trill, Betazoid) females. With Tellarites or Rigellians prices between males and females don't differ any more. So there's that.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

I'm going to say that's largely confirmation bias. Noticing skimpily dressed women is something men do very well, and women know this. So if you're a man, its likely you just notice and register the Orions or other skimpy females, and you forget the 5 other people around them who aren't skimpily dressed. Yeah there is usually one in every crowd on Q'onos or wherever, but the rest of the crowd isn't.
    avoozuul wrote: »

in fact, evolution takes almost the same path: the efficiency. so it is totally possible to have the same evolution on other planets. A alien fish will be like the fishes that we have on earth, because this fish will live in the same environnement. take a look at the researches of the astrobiologist Dr Chris McKay.

And bipedalism is and was current on earth: the birds, the theropods (ancestors of the birds) and other dinosaurs, the kangaroo etc
    edited August 2019
    bipedalism is and was current on earth: the birds, the theropods (ancestors of the birds) and other dinosaurs, the kangaroo etc
    Well I meant in terms of lizards not all animals.

• discoricediscorice Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    An Orion female has always been my main, but she, on purpose, looks a lot more "Imperator Furiosa" than "TOS slave girl" (tall, shaved head, facial scars, non-sexualized clothing, rifles and such). I like to think her pheromones turn her crew into single-minded, hyper-violent fanatics, who, after a time, forget their families and where they came from.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
    discorice wrote: »
    An Orion female has always been my main, but she, on purpose, looks a lot more "Imperator Furiosa" than "TOS slave girl" (tall, shaved head, facial scars, non-sexualized clothing, rifles and such). I like to think her pheromones turn her crew into single-minded, hyper-violent fanatics, who, after a time, forget their families and where they came from.

I do have a fem orion (my second ever STO character in fact) but I tend to use either drab uniform I made from various KDF pieces or the honor guard (without a helmet) on her, except for the few times I RP as her being undercover as slave with her (male orion) first officer being the "captain" in those encounter.

Afterall you can have an orion who dresses sexy for a reason, I mean who would suspect a slave girl dressed in rags that barely cover anything of being a dahar master in the klingon defense force, which reminds me I need to get the disco ground rep set for Morai so she can fight in those outfits without pulling a rifle out of her TRIBBLE.
This discussion has been closed.