test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Seeking suggestions/advice for a "simple" character

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
I'm mulling an idea for a new Fed character...which specific Fed faction I'm not sure yet, but the idea would be he or she is very "plain"...standard issue uniforms, ground equipment, ships, weapons, etc. Maybe strict canon layout, only equipment "issued" by Starfleet as mission rewards, that kind of thing. I guess story-wise, my character could still earn equipment from reputations, but I already do that on all the other characters and have someone using every piece of ground or space reputation stuff. Therefore I'm considering skipping reps with this toon as well, just to see how fun it might be.

I was wondering if you all have any suggestions, have done something similar that you enjoy, or would recommend certain equipment from certain missions, etc. Or even if you advise against this type of idea. Just whatever you want to give me, it'll all be considered and appreciated. The idea is to do something a bit different to broaden my experience in the game.
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    This really depends on your goals for the character once they finish the story lines.

The new scaling T6 ships are great for this. The last character I made, I started with a T6 ship right out of the gate and I used the scaling weapons, core, shield, engines, deflector all the way to 65. I had no issues with any story content and was even able to handle advanced queues with it (couldn't carry a team obviously, but I could do my part.) It was an Aux2Bat beam build, so I did mule over some money for 3 blue technicians which I later upgraded to purple as well as training manuals for the captain and bridge officers.

The consoles, those I mostly just crafted on my alts or purchased off the exchange, I didn't try going pure mission rewards, but for the regular story stuff, as long as you're doing normal or advanced you should be fine with whatever the game gives you. The only issue I see is once the story is done.. then what? are you going to want to keep advancing the character? are they just done at that point?

You can complete all the story missions using anything you like. The only thing you really need better stuff for depends on how far you want to challenge yourself once you're level 65 and the story is done.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    My characters all have themes, but none of them are "plain" like this.

My TOS captain does use the T1 Connie retro Phasers, and upgraded 23rd C Phaser rifles and pistols for ground weapons. I picked up extra boffs before leaving the 23rd C but you could also get them from the starbase fleet holding.

My Discovery captain uses the lock box DSC emitters (bought at Mark II from the exchange)

For a KDF you could consider crafted Disruptors as "plain" enough, then you can have the PEN mod. Same for 2409 Feds and orange Phasers. For a Romulan crafted Plasma, or use the Rom rep gear,

I'm too lazy to go through the episode rewards to look for good gear for this project, so no ideas for that.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    if you are avoiding items off the exchange, from a fleet, and limited to just mission rewards, you will probably want to go AP for your ship build, using the ancient warp core and 360 array, and the ap beams from fluid dynamics. i think it's a tossup on if you want the jem'harad space set or the Breesn set. it will be a grind but the nakul armor and shield are probably the best non rep/fleet ground set.
    I did this but I also allowed her to buy stuff off the exchange.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I agree with the Na'kuhl ground set, though the Kentari ground set is also awesome, except I don't like the plasma weapon. For the three set I keep the weapon in the off slot and use other weapons as primary.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Also, OP, will you "cheat" and upgradr and or re-engineer?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    Also, OP, will you "cheat" and upgradr and or re-engineer?

I wouldn't exactly call this cheating. They'll have engineers on board who could probably re-engineer stuff for them, or upgrade. It's how I headcanon doing it. My engineering team is doing it for me ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Yeah, but if you are intentionally limiting stuff from episodes... funny thing, I actually had an endeavor to heal on the ground and captured 3 points in the dyson sphere withotu a shield before I had healed enough.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well if there is one thing I really dislike about the game these days, its that rainbow space lazers are unavoidable, unless you ignore most set weapons. That is probably the main thing you really want to consider for this character, limiting yourself to crafted or basic weapon rewards so that you look canon when playing in space. With shields and engines and the like, you can largely avoid that by turning off visuals or overwriting them with another shield/engine, but there is no way to do that with weapons, afaik.

Of course that can compromise performance somewhat, as there are some really great sets, but since you may not care much about that, as long as you keep them somewhat upgraded you should be fine.

In that vein, though, you may want to consider what space powers you take as well, since some of the space magic that is science can be overly flashy and not really canonesque, not to mention they can be extremely distracting. Engy and tac powers have some weird looking stuff as well, but its easier to avoid them.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    easiest mission only build I can think of would be, Quantum Phase Catalysts from sunrise, Trilithium-Laced Weaponry from beyond the nexus, Bajor Defense from Scylla and Charybdis and pheonix box if you don't have the core.

add the the Trellium-D Plating console from Ragnarok and the Temporally Shielded Datacore from Temporal Reckoning. if a larger ship the Polaric Modulator from Delta Flight. fill in the rest with whatever you get your hand on.

on ground no good fed based sets here but the Imperial Navy armor and shield are pretty solid, add the High Density Beam Rifle Type 3(24c.), and Herald kit dirt cheap from the exchange.

other set to look at would be:
    Quantum Phase Applications
    Desperate Defenses (Sol Defense)
    Prolonged Engagement Set, if you have it
    Furtive Perseverance (Romulan Operative)

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    > @annemarie30 said:
    > Also, OP, will you "cheat" and upgradr and or re-engineer?

I'm torn on this one.
    My idea is to do something different, and I always upgrade and re-engineer on my other toons, so maybe not.
    However when I get to lvl 65, it might bug me to have only mark 12 items.
    I may just wait and see how I feel when I get there...

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    > @nightken said:
    > easiest mission only build I can think of would be, Quantum Phase Catalysts from sunrise, Trilithium-Laced Weaponry from beyond the nexus, Bajor Defense from Scylla and Charybdis and pheonix box if you don't have the core.
    >
    > add the the Trellium-D Plating console from Ragnarok and the Temporally Shielded Datacore from Temporal Reckoning. if a larger ship the Polaric Modulator from Delta Flight. fill in the rest with whatever you get your hand on.
    >
    >
    > on ground no good fed based sets here but the Imperial Navy armor and shield are pretty solid, add the High Density Beam Rifle Type 3(24c.), and Herald kit dirt cheap from the exchange.
    >
    > other set to look at would be:
    > Quantum Phase Applications
    > Desperate Defenses (Sol Defense)
    > Prolonged Engagement Set, if you have it
    > Furtive Perseverance (Romulan Operative)

Those are great options. For the last year (or so) it's hard to ignore the Bajor defense set for faction weapons. I do have the prolonged set too.

-Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    If I was to do a concept like this (and I have already started on something similar-ish), I would go with a TOS Fed, who was conceptually bumped forward through time but wasn't too happy about the idea. Kind of like an attitude cross between McCoy and Scottie, not trusting all this new-fangled engineering, not being happy with anything you couldn't take apart and jimmy around and put back together yourself.

Also with something to prove that "just because you're 200 years out of date doesn't mean you're inferior". So the captain would be committed to doing things on their own, completing missions with the gear at hand, using items they have acquired and analyzed themselves on missions and challenges, etc. Not completely against new technology but basically only using things they have 'earned the hard way' and not purchased, traded, etc.

When earning promotions, in that case, I would be choosing as close to an era-appropriate ship as possible (as in, a design based on an older ship that hasn't been modified too much). I would also make use of era/concept appropriate BOffs and gear wherever I could (older design phaser rifles etc.).
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I'm kind of doing the same thing. Although using a a T6 from the start, I'm running my toon using nothing beyond drops and mission rewards. I have "cheated" a bit and skipped through missions to grab the Quantam phase and Bajor stuff early on and recaimed my section 31 phaser, Sompek blast and Tommy guns, but no re-engineering and upgrading beyond the free upgrades the mission rewards get.

Next toon, I'm going to run with absolutely nothing other than the free ships and whatever gear I get from drops/missions without skipping ahead to grab the good stuff early and see how it goes. So many new players complaining about how difficult the game is so I'm going to find out if it has become difficult using nothing more than what a brand new player on a new account would have. Although the account wide perks will skew it a bit, I'm not going to start a new account just to see how hard thee game actually is for a brand new player.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I'm done creating new Characters unless there is a totally new golly gee willikers Recruit Event. Right now I'm throwing everything into my Discovery Character that is well further along in everything than Characters I created and have played since mid 2013. This week's Upgrade Event is totally only for that Character who does all the Endeavors for the Account. It's just too much with the time availible.

I have taken that same stance with Lord of the Rings Online as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    I'm done creating new Characters unless there is a totally new golly gee willikers Recruit Event. Right now I'm throwing everything into my Discovery Character that is well further along in everything than Characters I created and have played since mid 2013. This week's Upgrade Event is totally only for that Character who does all the Endeavors for the Account. It's just too much with the time available.

Between my two gamertags, I'm running eighteen characters. Yes I'm a glutton for character creation. And I've previously deleted at least that many others, if not more - including several toons that I had fully leveled up and equipped with rare high level ships too.

Although I have Temporal Agents and a Delta Recruit close to completing their specific event tasks. It's my Gamma Recruit Jem'Hadar Vanguard that is closest to knocking his stuff out of the park. I only have one or two more slots to polish his event specific tasks off! I'm looking forward to that!

For the longest time I resisted even creating a Discovery character, but did recently and have been banking a ton of Discovery marks to help her get the reputation gear once that system unlocks. I believe that the game is about "factioned" out at this point, but would not mind seeing the Delta Recruitment event run once more on console?

To the op, I would say go for it. I've done just that a couple of times myself.

• Options
    I've contemplated something like this myself. Going from beginning to end with just what I can get from missions and skipping DOFFing, Admiralty and Reps. Endeavors...yeah maybe since someone on the 'team' is doing them, so they'd get the perks from that anyway.

R&D...I think I'd do that too.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    Just created my character. A 2409 Saurian (never created a Saurian before). Tactical, standard uniform. I'll use only starter, account unlocked, and mission reward equipment. No doffing, admiralty, or reputations. The only other way I've decided to compromise a bit is he'll use the T6 Tactical Star Cruiser (Endeavour class).
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll be using some of them for sure. I think it'll be fun!

-Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    djf021 wrote: »
    Just created my character. A 2409 Saurian (never created a Saurian before). Tactical, standard uniform. I'll use only starter, account unlocked, and mission reward equipment. No doffing, admiralty, or reputations. The only other way I've decided to compromise a bit is he'll use the T6 Tactical Star Cruiser (Endeavour class).
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll be using some of them for sure. I think it'll be fun!

Sounds like fun, hope you enjoy!

There is one other bonus you have, but you can't really get around it and that's your endeavor progress. Since those bonuses are account wide, the only way to get the 'true starter experience' would be if you never participated in that system or if you decided to make the character on an alternate account. Still, this would fit in the category of being beyond your control so all's fair!

Hope you enjoy it! :smile:
  • Options
    i think if you want to be as TOS canon as you can get, you could splurge and get the T6 Miranda (unless you are lucky enought ohave a T6 Connie of some flavor) buy the T1 connie and dismiss it as many times a you need to get the level with you infinity blue "Fweeeee" phasers.
    and if you suirvive 20 hours of those phasers grinding into your ears, treat yourself to a DQ Blizzard.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    > @annemarie30 said:
    > i think if you want to be as TOS canon as you can get, you could splurge and get the T6 Miranda (unless you are lucky enought ohave a T6 Connie of some flavor) buy the T1 connie and dismiss it as many times a you need to get the level with you infinity blue "Fweeeee" phasers.
    > and if you suirvive 20 hours of those phasers grinding into your ears, treat yourself to a DQ Blizzard.

Lol, I actually do have the T1 Connie and the T6 Miranda (Reliant I think?). My first AOY character from 2015 uses the dual phasers.

This time I think I'll try using the phasers that come with the Endeavor. Since the switch to scalable T6, don't the default weapons also scale now?

-Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    djf021 wrote: »
    Since the switch to scalable T6, don't the default weapons also scale now?

Yes.

The weapons, impulse engine, deflector, warp core and shields scale with level. They don't show any mark, you'll just notice as you play that the stats on them increase as you go.

Currently, when you level and you unlock a new weapon hardpoint, that hardpoint comes empty. For this reason, I recommend that when you start, you claim/dismiss the ship several times and take extra scaling weapons. Keep them in your inventory or bank so you can equip them once the slots open up.

Consoles, you're on your own. You can just use mission rewards and drops.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    just be aware that scaling weapons are not going to be any where as effective as other weapons, it's been a long time since I looked at them but they don't have any modifiers do they?
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    > @vetteguy904 said:
    > just be aware that scaling weapons are not going to be any where as effective as other weapons, it's been a long time since I looked at them but they don't have any modifiers do they?

I believe you are correct. Common, no mark, no mods.
    I can live with that, though, since I'm already challenging myself by skipping higher quality stuff anyway.

-Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    That is correct, the scaling weapons are White (Common) quality with no mods.

They're fine for going through story content, but most players will want to replace them before attempting queues beyond normal difficulty.
This discussion has been closed.