test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Damage Resistanse % and the 75% Ablative Plating cap

lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
Me and a friend got a bit confused over the cap on resistance and if it is base or final

I am an engineer. My Ablative Plating skill says in description 75% is max resistance anyone can go.

I use a Voth Bastion however and using a combination of engineering team, brace for impact, Crystalline Absorb Matrix console skill while threatening I get the below result which is over 80%:on my ship window as shown in the screen below

https://imgur.com/thfvNF2

What is correct? cause if I hover my cursor over resistances it clearly states the % stated on that window is my Actual Final Resistance(which is over the 75%). Is the 75% the cap for base resistances before hitting any of the skills I mentioned? Is it the final cap and our ship window is wrongly showing more than that? Generally speaking I believe tooltips could use some improvement to be more clear and direct

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    75% actual is the cap for normal non-'Bonus' armor. However, there's now abilities that grant 'Bonus' armor that has a less aggressive diminishing returns curve, as well as let's you go over 75% actual resistance. I'm not sure which of those actives you list are 'Bonus' as the Wiki doesn't list them as having that language ('Bonus' being a special thing has not been constant), and there's a possibility of something else interacting with them giving a boost too.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Yes that is the problem, the way tooltips are a lot things are unclear.

I think the percentage by extra skills like eng fleet III does work though cause I do notice a different on incoming damage
    Post edited by lordmerc22 on
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Me and a friend got a bit confused over the cap on resistance and if it is base or final

I am an engineer. My Ablative Plating skill says in description 75% is max resistance anyone can go.

I use a Voth Bastion however and using a combination of engineering team, brace for impact, Crystalline Absorb Matrix console skill while threatening I get the below result which is over 80%:on my ship window as shown in the screen below

https://imgur.com/thfvNF2

What is correct? cause if I hover my cursor over resistances it clearly states the % stated on that window is my Actual Final Resistance(which is over the 75%). Is the 75% the cap for base resistances before hitting any of the skills I mentioned? Is it the final cap and our ship window is wrongly showing more than that? Generally speaking I believe tooltips could use some improvement to be more clear and direct

Your Over 75% because of the Crystalline absorption matrix console (Activated) It is +500 to your resists. Combine that activation of that console and the ablative armor console and the Solane set and you can get pretty close to 95% for about 10 to 15 seconds.

Without those console abilities activated..75% is typically the highest people can get as passive resistances (its not the actual max/cap) and it takes a lot of investment to get that high (500 damage resist points)..After that it take ALOT (not that the consoles I mention all do 500ish to resists)

Just activating 1 of these other 2 High resist boosters gave me these numbers a while ago (Back when Plasma consoles were worth something).
    I thought about throwing all 3 on a ship but..Not really necessary in PVE..

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_resistance (might wanna look at this formula to see exactly how much you'd have to have passively to be at 75% All Res

NAuv3UE.jpg
    AWDodHR.jpg

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I see and yes they resistances are triggered there for some seconds I just wasnt sure if they are effective while over the 75% limit. From what I understand now, they are but only for that limited time
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Once you comprehend the power of math and know how to use the power of math set none of that matters. I am pretty sure based on my experience with it the devs had no idea either.
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    The number is not real. Even if it shows above 75% it is capped to 75% according to my own preliminary tests. If anyone can test in more detail please do so and post some results. If you want I can use my Voth RA for or Vorgon Tank for this purpose.

Test done: having a current ~60% res and activating crystaline matrix did not provide more than 75% dmg res.
    I could probably test more if I make a ship full or damage res consoles so it stacks up to near 70% in passive mode.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    /necro
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.