test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing As The Romulan Empire And Not The Republic

1235»

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    The more likely reason for the Romulans withdrawing from international affairs for those seventy years is the internal problems they showed in TOS as the old honorable Romulans (like the the commander and the centurian) slowly lost ground to the underhanded worms like Decius.

The Romulans in TNG were nothing like the Romulans in TOS but that was part of the original storyline for them and not a continuity gaff. Unfortunately the potentially most interesting part of Romulan history, the TOS period that was an analogy to the Roman Republic's fall into despotic empire, was all over by the time TNG rolled around. That kind of story is especially valid in the current political climate, and as usual modern Trek will in all likelihood miss the boat again like they are doing fashion-wise in DSC with the uniforms right now.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I really do hope the Picard series gives us additional canon glimpses as to how that difference (TOS to TNG) came about if the story involves the Romulans.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Cryptic seems to have released something that gives us more of whats been happening. Pretty interesting I'm glad they released it. With the Romulan Empire and Romulan Republic.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11234503

At this time it seems many of the Romulan Empire miltary personal have defected to the Romulan Republic. So basically this means that the Empire is pretty much is in dire straights. To the point even those serving under it are defecting to the Republic. So pretty much the Republic was able to grow and gain support from Former Empire personal maybe colony worlds. So pretty much even if they did a romulan empire faction. Given the state of the Empire that character just might defect to the Romulan Republic side anyways. Do to the issues that drove 65th percent of the military and talshiar to defect to the Republic to begin with.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    I have been waiting on a proper rommie faction since day one. Still waiting...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Personally, I love the Romulan Republic story and how it paints my people a something other than closed minded without free will automatons who only know how to follow orders. I love how it shows my ppl's fight for survival, a new homeworld, and their place in the universe. IMHO it shows a people with much depth and compassion instead of members of 'just another Evil Entity' or Empire. It shows us as a people with hope for a better future. Isn't that what Star Trek is about anyways?

I wasn't going to post in this thread at first because of my passion/s for the Romulan people, so instead I condensed my very lengthy draft for my reply into the words above, lol. :)
    HERE-HERE!!! Yes, plenty of us like the Romulan Republic story. Playing as Tal Shiar is, to me, like playing as Section 31. I've tried games where you can play as the bad guy. It's just not my thing.

• praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    aspartan1 wrote: »

Jolan-Tru loyal servant of the Empire.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Personally, I love the Romulan Republic story and how it paints my people a something other than closed minded without free will automatons who only know how to follow orders. I love how it shows my ppl's fight for survival, a new homeworld, and their place in the universe. IMHO it shows a people with much depth and compassion instead of members of 'just another Evil Entity' or Empire. It shows us as a people with hope for a better future. Isn't that what Star Trek is about anyways?

I wasn't going to post in this thread at first because of my passion/s for the Romulan people, so instead I condensed my very lengthy draft for my reply into the words above, lol. :)
    HERE-HERE!!! Yes, plenty of us like the Romulan Republic story. Playing as Tal Shiar is, to me, like playing as Section 31. I've tried games where you can play as the bad guy. It's just not my thing.
    Yeah I have 4 Republic characters, and each has a different reason for disliking the old RSE and Tal Shiar.

Diaula is kinda like a female version of Nero. She sees the civil war as the worst thing to happen to the Romulans ever and sees the RSE leadership, to include Sela and Hakeev, as responsible for the destruction of the empire from a political perspective. So she hated them both before finding out they'd done even worse stuff.

Emani is a TOS Romulan. She doesn't look old, but that's because she's been a Borg for over a century. She looks at the Tal Shiar and sees corrupt boogeymen who represent the worst the Romulan race has to offer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    aspartan1 wrote: »

Jolan-Tru loyal servant of the Empire.

Jolan-Tru as well.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Taris is seen evading capture after events in game and explaining that she intends to go back in time and reverse everything Hakeev has done before running into an active Iconian Gateway.

You might not be far enough along in the episodes yet.
    Taris died when you went through the Iconian gateway with Sela, after Sela told her that the Iconains are unable to travel through time.

RSE's a stiff! Bereft of life, RSE rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!
    'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! RSE's off the twig! RSE's kicked the bucket, RSE's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!

RSE IS AN EX-PARROT!!

:)

Meant to say that ,whatever the finer points of in game plots here, I see some parallels with the plight of the Empire after the destruction of Romulus by the Hobus supernova and the destruction in Doctor Who of the Dalek home world Skaro by the seventh Doctor using The Hand Of Omega.

In the modern series the Daleks restored Skaro instead of just renaming a world Skaro as the seat of a renascent Dalek Empire. Although in the Who universe, second only to the Time Lords, Dalek technology and their ability to manipulate space and time is probably more advanced than races in the Trek universe. (They've actually moved planets.) Point being that the would be as a plot device destruction of the seat of a galactic power/civilization is not necessarily the last word in any sci'fi IF you can come up with a plausible enough in universe rationalization.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    The way things have gone for the RSE by the time you finish the Romulan part of the storyline, there's very few possible ways to make the more-or-less dead & gone RSE playable... except maybe an alternate universe RSE.

Alternate Universes are pretty well-established in pretty much all Trek media and anything goes when alternate universes are on the table.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
This discussion has been closed.