test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jayce's Interstellar: State of the Romulan Republic Military

Comments

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    If this means new Romulan and Reman ships, and related faction content, sounds great to me.

Though I'll echo what a user said above, the game could use an overhaul to the gameplay itself. Enemy NPCs could use some buffs to their ability to move and use abilities like exotic damage, crowd control, healing, energy weapon damage output, without becoming boss-level type immune to everything shooting occasional torpedo spreads of doom. They should also be less script-bound and have leeway to spawn supports of random enemy classes at random locations of a map, and follow players they are attacking.
    “Let’s just say using Solanae materials to construct a traditional singularity core without adjusting for their composition does not end well

Romulan ships need singularity cores and Romulan Battle Cloaks to stand out from KDF ships. Do not forget these essential ingredients.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    If this means new Romulan and Reman ships, and related faction content, sounds great to me.

Though I'll echo what a user said above, the game could use an overhaul to the gameplay itself. Enemy NPCs could use some buffs to their ability to move and use abilities like exotic damage, crowd control, healing, energy weapon damage output, without becoming boss-level type immune to everything shooting occasional torpedo spreads of doom. They should also be less script-bound and have leeway to spawn supports of random enemy classes at random locations of a map, and follow players they are attacking.
    “Let’s just say using Solanae materials to construct a traditional singularity core without adjusting for their composition does not end well

Romulan ships need singularity cores and Romulan Battle Cloaks to stand out from KDF ships. Do not forget these essential ingredients.

I fully agree with you on that. Romulans have been underappreciated too long enough, even to the degree of being forced to join feds or klingons to continue their existence in the game. I would like to see more Romulan ships and content unlinked to Federation or Klingon ones
  • stan2750stan2750 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    so new T6 of existing rom ships with various specializations?

How about introducing T6 versions of FASA'S vessels. Since they never appeared in any TV shows or Movies.. 24th Century versions would be cool. WINGED DEFENDER, WHITEWIND, NOVA, BRIGHT ONE, etc... would make great and IMPROVED additions to the Romulan fleet..
    emperormak wrote: »
    "chipg7 wrote:
    hich does nothing but fuel the fire for the Romulans being re-skinned Feddies. Since when did Romulans care about what others think of them? They were the one of the most self-righteous groups in Trek. Plus, the Feds just shafted them by pulling out of starship building agreements. Why would Kererek even consider being anything but overtly Romulan in this case?

Besides, having aliens talk exactly like us is very simplistic sci-fi writing. It removes the need for them to be aliens at all.

From the TV perspective, you're completely wrong.

TOS: The Romulans were pretty much Romans. The Romulan Commander in "The Enterprise Incident" seemed like a Vulcan/Human hybrid.

Next Generation: Tomalak didn't seem very alien. Sela seemed like "evil Yar". And even Bochra seemed like a typical Human.

Deep Space Nine: The Romulan assigned to the Defiant seemed 100% Human. The various Romulan diplomats seemed like Humans, though with shorter tempers.

Voyager: Can't remember if there were any Romulans.

Enterprise: The Romulans on there seemed like a cross between TOS and Next Gen Romulans.

Nemesis: They let a Human become Praetor. That says something about how similar they are.

So, as far as the TV shows are concerned, Romulans and Humans are very similar. In fact, I suspect that was intentional. Romulans and Vulcans split long ago. Vulcans buried their emotions while Romulans embraced them. That's pretty much Spock's definition of Humans. Seems like this was intended to create Romulans as the villainous version of Humanity.

Romulans (imperial) seem like Terren Empire Humans to me. :)

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    stan2750 wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »
    so new T6 of existing rom ships with various specializations?

How about introducing T6 versions of FASA'S vessels. Since they never appeared in any TV shows or Movies.. 24th Century versions would be cool. WINGED DEFENDER, WHITEWIND, NOVA, BRIGHT ONE, etc... would make great and IMPROVED additions to the Romulan fleet..

That's highly unlikely due to the complex licensing issue. While it's not outright impossible, it could be say that ships from other Trek EU works are practically impossible.

That includes FASA, other computer games, novels or comics and yes I'm aware of the limited amount of things that are already in STO from other EU works, however it's best to view those things as exceptions not likely to be repeated.
  • tichepotato#4965 tichepotato Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I just want to point out something it seems no one else has picked up on. The article begins with "Stardate 88182.49 – New Romulus." Using the stardate calculator that's matched up with STO in the past, this equates to 36 minutes past 2pm, March 8th 2411.
    Have we finally moved into 2411? When does that match up with the events ingame? Or is this yet another false alarm, as we've had before?
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Is it strange that my first reaction to this blog is that this is a horrible case of Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale? I'm sorry, I don't care how good the shipbuilding technology is, I don't buy the Romulan Republic going from "just a militia" to a full-fledged fleet in less than two years. That's building ships at a simply implausible speed--and whatever replicator Handwavium you want to use to justify construction speeds, that does not explain the ridiculously short development times. Designing brand-new ships cannot be sped up by technology. That's a matter of thought as much as physical work.

I really think STO would make a lot more sense if they would just space out the timeline more. This is the most blatant violation of logic, but I've thought for a long time that it makes little to no sense for the entire game to have taken place in such a bizarrely short time. This is simply the straw that snaps the suspension of disbelief.

Agreed.

STO's lore stopped making sense years ago and this is mainly due to everything, from wars to the foundation of an entirely new state, being treated as something you'd do on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

This should be fixed.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • tichepotato#4965 tichepotato Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I just want to point out something it seems no one else has picked up on. The article begins with "Stardate 88182.49 – New Romulus." Using the stardate calculator that's matched up with STO in the past, this equates to 36 minutes past 2pm, March 8th 2411.
    Have we finally moved into 2411? When does that match up with the events ingame? Or is this yet another false alarm, as we've had before?
    There has been no official confirmation by the devs that we have moved into 2411. However, some of the stardates on the Starfleet Intelligence logs one reads in "quark's Lucky seven" also give a 2411 stardate.

Yeah, STO's timeline is a headache and a half. I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen people complaining about it, myself included.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    Even the TV shows were notoriously inconsistent about how the stardate translated to the Gregorian calendar. The headache about what month or year it really is right now is, if you will, canon.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @stan2750 said:
    > tigeraries wrote: »
    >
    > so new T6 of existing rom ships with various specializations?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How about introducing T6 versions of FASA'S vessels. Since they never appeared in any TV shows or Movies.. 24th Century versions would be cool. WINGED DEFENDER, WHITEWIND, NOVA, BRIGHT ONE, etc... would make great and IMPROVED additions to the Romulan fleet..

FASA ships cannot and will not be in this game ever. There are a thousand reasons why.

License TRIBBLE? Paramount vs CBS stuff? If so that sucks...for US.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited August 2019
    star trek is all back under one roof again, the viacom/paramount merger went through. Kinda explains the incoming JJtrek stuff dont it?

Would love some FASA designs but I could also dig *inspired* designs.... the dhelan family always looked to me like it took inspiration from FASA
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The blog was interesting overall, though like similar official blogs the devs will probably not act on the implications it brings up much if at all.

Technically, on a writing level it does sound like Kererek is reading from a script written by a Federation scriptwriter, but then again it makes sense that he would employ one since it seems likely that he is addressing a Federation audience for some reason instead of a general Alliance one.

On top of that, he speaks in that same way to Romulan characters in the game and his translator could be picking that style up and matching it with Federation equivalents so it really is not a big deal (and he just doesn't seem to be the type to actually bother learning Federation Standard).

This actually would be the perfect time to update the Dyson destroyers to T6, or the Romulan version at the very least anyway. It would also be a good time to either bring out some new ships for the sub factions like the Orions, the Gorn, the Andorians, and others, as well as being a good justification to opening up some of those to other factions like the new temporal ships are since it makes sense that everyone would be trying to buy ships and or salvage hulls and revamp older ships that would not be worth the effort normally in order to try and close the numbers gap. I like the idea this blog brings out enough that I think I will go ahead and buy the Dyson vanity shield for some of my Romulan ships to support the idea.

One of the little background things I really liked in DS9 was the Orion Wanderer-class that was being used by the Federation as a light cruiser (the NCC-55817 incarnation of the U.S.S. Constellation) during the ship-crunch that also resulted in the kitbash fleet (which would also be a good thing to bring out in the game btw, roleplayers would probably go for it, especially if you can do some extra kitbashing in the customizer), which showed the Federation was strapped for ships enough that they were willing to buy foreign ships to help bolster the roster. The little details often make a huge difference in feel.
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    All I want to know is,... are we getting a second Omni Plasma beam with the next Romulan update? Perchance a Rom-Plasma variety,... If not, not interested. It is beyond time that Plasma got it's set omni.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
    corelogik wrote: »
    All I want to know is,... are we getting a second Omni Plasma beam with the next Romulan update? Perchance a Rom-Plasma variety,... If not, not interested. It is beyond time that Plasma got it's set omni.

^asking the important questions right there
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2019
    Is it strange that my first reaction to this blog is that this is a horrible case of Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale? I'm sorry, I don't care how good the shipbuilding technology is, I don't buy the Romulan Republic going from "just a militia" to a full-fledged fleet in less than two years.

I really think STO would make a lot more sense if they would just space out the timeline more. This is the most blatant violation of logic, but I've thought for a long time that it makes little to no sense for the entire game to have taken place in such a bizarrely short time. This is simply the straw that snaps the suspension of disbelief.

Yea I'd have to 'echo' this statement that we had the Solanae Dyson Sphere release and the year was 2410; yet since that time we've seen countless evolutions & conflicts started and resolved.

It would be nice to see a recognition that we actually moved beyond 2410; or even showed us surpassing 2411 following the Iconian War. With New Frontier's and others it have been nice to show the timeline moving toward 2412-2413?

Quite an excellent point!
    0zxlclk.png
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I'm sure there's a reason for the short timeframe. As hard as I'm being on the Romulan content in this article, I generally do still enjoy and love the game and lore. Yeah it's odd the lore of STO takes place in barely two years, but there's probably a limit on the timeframe STO can occupy in the Trek universe.

It's already been live for longer than any one show, and is even approaching the length of the TNG-through-VOY timespan. So maybe keeping everything tightly packed into brief timeframes allows Cryptic to stretch their allotted space as much as possible??
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    > @stan2750 said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @stan2750 said:
    > > tigeraries wrote: »
    > >
    > > so new T6 of existing rom ships with various specializations?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > How about introducing T6 versions of FASA'S vessels. Since they never appeared in any TV shows or Movies.. 24th Century versions would be cool. WINGED DEFENDER, WHITEWIND, NOVA, BRIGHT ONE, etc... would make great and IMPROVED additions to the Romulan fleet..
    >
    > FASA ships cannot and will not be in this game ever. There are a thousand reasons why.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > License TRIBBLE? Paramount vs CBS stuff? If so that sucks...for US.

No, FASA was licensed from the Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical manual. The multiple lawsuits between Joseph, Roddenberry, FASA, and the owners of the Trek IP have made those designs unavailable to anyone. Thankfully.

Also while CBS/Paramount own the overall Trek License and IP, content exclusively present in one EU work is partially copyrighted to the maker of those works thus cannot be used by anyone else without premission. As far as I know the only exception to this is CBS/Paramount who can use anything made under the license they granted but even they cannot grant rights for use between 2 different EU works.

EU as in Extended Universe that is.
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    I really don't see the problem with making one Romulan or Reman ship that looks like a warbird, but has a warp core and plays like a standard cruiser that everyone else gets to use. As much as I've been asking for a ship like that, I never said that all singularity cores had to go. My best character is Romulan, but the only ships that fit my play style are cross faction, Fed, or the Suliban ship. Those of you who want to be as Romulan as possible, have an all Romulan crew, Romulan uniforms and hand weapons, and a Romulan warbird complete with a singularity core, cloak and all plasma weapons can already do that. I'm sorry, but I hate singularity cores, and I won't fly a ship that has one. I never use the cloak, either.
    I really don't see the problem with making one Romulan or Reman ship that looks like a warbird, but has a warp core and plays like a standard cruiser that everyone else gets to use. As much as I've been asking for a ship like that, I never said that all singularity cores had to go. My best character is Romulan, but the only ships that fit my play style are cross faction, Fed, or the Suliban ship. Those of you who want to be as Romulan as possible, have an all Romulan crew, Romulan uniforms and hand weapons, and a Romulan warbird complete with a singularity core, cloak and all plasma weapons can already do that. I'm sorry, but I hate singularity cores, and I won't fly a ship that has one. I never use the cloak, either.
    So... stop playing a Romulan? Battle cloaks, singularities, and Romulan/Reman boff traits are the defining features of the faction. If you're using almost nothing from the Romulan faction, then that's just weird and seems like a waste.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    > @stan2750 said:
    >
    > > @stan2750 said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > How about introducing T6 versions of FASA'S vessels. Since they never appeared in any TV shows or Movies.. 24th Century versions would be cool. WINGED DEFENDER, WHITEWIND, NOVA, BRIGHT ONE, etc... would make great and IMPROVED additions to the Romulan fleet..
    >
    > FASA ships cannot and will not be in this game ever. There are a thousand reasons why.
    >
    >
    >
    >

No, FASA was licensed from the Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical manual. The multiple lawsuits between Joseph, Roddenberry, FASA, and the owners of the Trek IP have made those designs unavailable to anyone. Thankfully.

No, the FASA license came directly from Paramount. You are thinking of the Star Fleet Battles license, that one came from Franz Joseph, which is why SFB could not use any of the movie ships and FASA could not use any of the Franz Joseph ships like the Saladin, the tug, or the dreadnaught.

FASA was known for getting the short end of contracts back in the day, and the Star Trek one was no exception. The terms of the license they got required everything they published for the game to be approved by Paramount before they could publish it, and both companies owned any ship designs and whatnot that FASA came up with (though not the other way around, it was strictly a one-way deal). While that meant that Paramount could in theory use anything they wanted from the game without paying royalties, Paramount apparently did not want to test that aspect of it (though they did make the Dominion war era USS Constellation an Orion Wanderer class from FASA if you look at the information screen on the otherwise unseen ship.

The way Paramount pussyfooted around the issue even before the Viacom split complicated things means that anything from FASA will certainly not get passed along to other licensees, and I seriously doubt that will change if and when the Trek halves merge again.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    They have done good with making their own designs so far or using what they can use. Even if we never see Fasa there still is a creative edge at Cryptic to make new ship designs while upgrading older models. Now I do hope they do make up for not making romulan ships. But this could mean they might be making more Romulan ships. *Shrugs.
    I'd like to see how the state of the Klingon Empire is at this time period. hopefully Jayce can do something with it if they have not already.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    > @stan2750 said:
    >
    > > @stan2750 said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I liked FASA :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    chipg7 wrote: »
    So... stop playing a Romulan? Battle cloaks, singularities, and Romulan/Reman boff traits are the defining features of the faction. If you're using almost nothing from the Romulan faction, then that's just weird and seems like a waste.

^so much this

Ever since I was a kid, I've been watching Star Trek and reading Trek novels. In TOS, the Romulans were more of a proud and honorable warrior race, and I've especially enjoyed the EU novels set in the TNG era which made the Romulan culture and personality more like they were in TOS. The TNG episode "Reunification" was one of my favorites. It presented a group of Romulans, the Underground, who wanted to be a more noble people than the Tal Shiar, and wanted to ally with the Federation, especially the Vulcans. So, it is canon that there was a division among the Romulans. Cryptic took this story to great lengths, giving D'Tan and his underground control of New Romulus. I love playing this story they've created. Now do you see why I play as Romulan? However, I do not love the game mechanics of the singularity core and cloak that they have given to every single Romulan ship. I've tried many Romulan ships. None of them work for me. If need be, I will continue to play my Romulan and fly cross faction ships and the Suliban ship. But it would be better if I had at least one ship, a cruiser with a warp core, that actually looks Romulan.
    By the way, I do use Romulan crew. Your suggestion to stop playing Romulan is as ridiculous as me telling you to stop playing your favorite faction because you're not doing it the way I want you to.

edited August 2019

Ever since I was a kid, I've been watching Star Trek and reading Trek novels. In TOS, the Romulans were more of a proud and honorable warrior race, and I've especially enjoyed the EU novels set in the TNG era which made the Romulan culture and personality more like they were in TOS. The TNG episode "Reunification" was one of my favorites. It presented a group of Romulans, the Underground, who wanted to be a more noble people than the Tal Shiar, and wanted to ally with the Federation, especially the Vulcans. So, it is canon that there was a division among the Romulans. Cryptic took this story to great lengths, giving D'Tan and his underground control of New Romulus. I love playing this story they've created. Now do you see why I play as Romulan? However, I do not love the game mechanics of the singularity core and cloak that they have given to every single Romulan ship. I've tried many Romulan ships. None of them work for me. If need be, I will continue to play my Romulan and fly cross faction ships and the Suliban ship. But it would be better if I had at least one ship, a cruiser with a warp core, that actually looks Romulan.
    By the way, I do use Romulan crew. Your suggestion to stop playing Romulan is as ridiculous as me telling you to stop playing your favorite faction because you're not doing it the way I want you to.
    I'm not demanding anything of you, or telling you to do anything.

I'm saying demanding that major changes are made to match the way you want to play, when it goes against the clear direction the Romulans have been given in-game, doesn't make any sense and will get you nowhere. Romulan game mechanics are as they are, set in a way to differentiate them from the Feds and KDF.

My suggestion to you, is to roll a Fed alien and make them Romulan. Best of both worlds.

Which, back to topic before the mods rightly ask us to get back on topic, is why I commented at all in this thread. I'm afraid that this blog signifies a bigger change in the Romulan faction, to be Feds with pointy ears. Mainly because other things in the game have leaned so heavily on things we've seen on the shows and read in Rihannsu. So I'm posting in the hopes that it doesn't signify a change. Well, except for there just being more Romulan stuff overall.
    edited August 2019

I'm not demanding anything of you, or telling you to do anything.

I'm saying demanding that major changes are made to match the way you want to play, when it goes against the clear direction the Romulans have been given in-game, doesn't make any sense and will get you nowhere. Romulan game mechanics are as they are, set in a way to differentiate them from the Feds and KDF.

My suggestion to you, is to roll a Fed alien and make them Romulan. Best of both worlds.

Which, back to topic before the mods rightly ask us to get back on topic, is why I commented at all in this thread. I'm afraid that this blog signifies a bigger change in the Romulan faction, to be Feds with pointy ears. Mainly because other things in the game have leaned so heavily on things we've seen on the shows and read in Rihannsu. So I'm posting in the hopes that it doesn't signify a change. Well, except for there just being more Romulan stuff overall.

First of all, my friend, I called your suggestion exactly that; a suggestion. I'm sorry if I was a little blunt in calling your suggestion ridiculous. I believe I've already explained why playing as a modified/alien fed does not solve the problem. Besides, there is no fed ship that looks like a Romulan warbird. I, personally, did not demand anything. I made a request for a new ship. That's all. I may be the only person left talking about it in the forum, but I've met many people who want a ship like I'm talking about. It's not just me.

But, like you said, let's talk about the direction of the game. According to the blog and what I've seen in game, let me point out a few facts.
    -The Romulan Republic is low on ships
    -The Romulan Republic is, in fact, allied with the Federation and KDF, and (sometimes) get to use their facilities
    -The Romulans have been building warbirds at the Dyson sphere, but the problem with singularity cores is slowing the building process down
    -Aside from Federation and KDF ships, the Romulans have access to 8 ships with warp cores, 6 are cross faction (3 Cardassian and 3 temporal), and 2 are Romulan speicific (Suliban Silik and that Dewan "toilet brush" thing)
    -D'Tan is not narrow-mindedly bound by tradition. He wants his people to go in new directions

So, with the above mentioned facts about the current direction of the game, I present my opinion. It makes perfect sense to me that D'Tan would order a new design for a warbird (or modify an existing warbird design) so that some warbirds with warp cores could be made quickly to bolster their ranks. I'm not saying that all production of singularity cores would stop, but I think D'Tan would do this as a stop-gap measure until the Republic is back on it's feet.