What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jayce's Interstellar: State of the Romulan Republic Military

Comments

• chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    emperormak wrote: »
    "chipg7 wrote:
    hich does nothing but fuel the fire for the Romulans being re-skinned Feddies. Since when did Romulans care about what others think of them? They were the one of the most self-righteous groups in Trek. Plus, the Feds just shafted them by pulling out of starship building agreements. Why would Kererek even consider being anything but overtly Romulan in this case?

Besides, having aliens talk exactly like us is very simplistic sci-fi writing. It removes the need for them to be aliens at all.

From the TV perspective, you're completely wrong.

TOS: The Romulans were pretty much Romans. The Romulan Commander in "The Enterprise Incident" seemed like a Vulcan/Human hybrid.

Next Generation: Tomalak didn't seem very alien. Sela seemed like "evil Yar". And even Bochra seemed like a typical Human.

Deep Space Nine: The Romulan assigned to the Defiant seemed 100% Human. The various Romulan diplomats seemed like Humans, though with shorter tempers.

Voyager: Can't remember if there were any Romulans.

Enterprise: The Romulans on there seemed like a cross between TOS and Next Gen Romulans.

Nemesis: They let a Human become Praetor. That says something about how similar they are.

So, as far as the TV shows are concerned, Romulans and Humans are very similar. In fact, I suspect that was intentional. Romulans and Vulcans split long ago. Vulcans buried their emotions while Romulans embraced them. That's pretty much Spock's definition of Humans. Seems like this was intended to create Romulans as the villainous version of Humanity.
    I don't see what you see here, or rather maybe I see it a different way? Here's my take:

TOS: Absolutely, the commander was a Roman. Which was the counterpoint to Kirk's cowboy. Very different, especially for that age of TV. As for the female commander... I always felt she was more of a pawn than anything. So can't argue there.

TNG: Tomalak was very military, and Bochra struggled to abandon that same militarism he was taught. Especially with Bochra, La Forge spent most of the episode trying to have Bochra drop the militarism and work together - it was a triumph of human compassion episode. But I'm also thinking of the Romulan crew that met with Picard and everyone when they were discovering the Preservers - very standoff-ish and mightier-than-thou racism. Plus all the things Jarok was defecting from.

DS9: The Defiant Romulan wasn't much of a character, but was definitely just an average person. But think of the Tal Shiar during their 'f-it-all' mass murder attempt at the beginning of the Dominion War. Also recall how brutally Cretak was treated. The Romulans were shown to be akin to Section 31 in the 2370s.

Voyager: We saw one, R'Mor the scientist. Took the crew most of the episode trying to convince him to do the right thing.

Enterprise: They enslaved the Aenar, including medical torture on them. If it's human, it's the dark side of humanity.

Nemesis: They didn't "let" Shinzon be Praetor. He murdered his way there, and even the Romulans who were with him realized he was insane.

The Romulans simply aren't good people by human standards, at least since TNG. They're miltaristic, xenophobic and racist, incredibly authoritarian (D'Tan and the resistance in TNG), and self-centered. Compassion isn't their strong point, and they'll go to great lengths to be subversive and manipulative.
    EVERY alien race was created to embody a dark aspect of humanity - romulans are not alone in that​​
    Exactly. Which is the thing we're missing in this lore post.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Its nice to see this though because well. It gives us the state of how things are for the Romulan Republic. It gives us a good idea of the damage caused by the Iconionion war. It gives us the state of how thier military is at the moment. It does explain why they haven't been able to produce as many ships. It gives us the State of the Romulan Empire of where its at where basically its fallen apart and many have defected to the Republic. Because they saw between the lines it was the future. Does not matter if there was grammer mistakes or whatever. They could correct those if they were willing. But I'd like to see a lot more of these in the future. I'd like to see this for the Federation and Klingon Empire what type of state they are in and whats been happening.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    it also explains why we still haven't gotten to see the capital city...it got blown up - they should make that the next holding so it can get done PROPERLY this time​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    it also explains why we still haven't gotten to see the capital city...it got blown up - they should make that the next holding so it can get done PROPERLY this time​​

Actually I think they could to a zone like that. Making a new capital helping the Romulans rebuild their might. Another New Romulus zone would nice.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    I hope this means some ship love is heading their way?
    edited August 2019
    From what I read as reread it. The Republic has managed to get new ship yards and have the advantage of the Dyson Spheres to make new ships. Many defectors plus resources coming in from those defectors. Imperial Navy resources. Plus the aid from their Allies. The Republic might start coming around and recovering from what I'm gathering. But it also gives us a good idea where the federation and kdf are as well. There resources are possibly dwindled by the many wars so. It has been costly for all three powers the many fights and wars they have been involved in. Maybe this is one way of them explaining doing more romulan stuff they move into the Picard show. Maybe more Romulan Stuff. And less Federation Stuff and kdf stuff. When that show comes about.
    So as a power the Romulan Republic is basically in disarray but is managing to recover with new assets coming their way.
    Klingons I think their space might not be as resource friendly. Federation possibly has many member worlds with ship designs and ships they could use too. Along with resources. This is why they are reactivating older ship yards the federation and klingon empire using more older designs. Possibly since they are kinda not able to afford to do what they have been doing. All three powers it seems need to stay out of wars for a while. Would be interesting to see the new types of Romulan ships that are going to come out from this.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yeah, you know, it's funny...cryptic themselves have recently, REPEATEDLY, brought up how badly depleted the starfleet, klingon and romulan navies have become over the past year...while at the same time throwing them into conflict after conflict after conflict one after another...maybe it's time to stop with the constant skirmishes, brushfires, police actions and outright war for a season or two​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited August 2019
    yeah, you know, it's funny...cryptic themselves have recently, REPEATEDLY, brought up how badly depleted the starfleet, klingon and romulan navies have become over the past year...while at the same time throwing them into conflict after conflict after conflict one after another...maybe it's time to stop with the constant skirmishes, brushfires, police actions and outright war for a season or two​​

I think it would be wise for cryptic to have less ship focus and more focus on attires and other things for the factions. Since Picard Show will have a heavily Romulan Focus. I'm sure we will see more ship designs for them from that show. Moving to a more Romulan Focus as they move into Picard stuff. While also doing their mirror storyline they wanted to do. Could spend more time doing the new content if they focus less on multi bundle ships. I'm sure they have the bulk of the ships they want to release finished already and those will be released. At this point it would be neat to see them showing in game and out of game in these blog that the Federation and Kdf for a while can't maintain their shipbuilding capabilities because of the depleted resources. Can't field new designs since they are too depleted.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    First, I wish they had actually done some better editing of that blog post especially the writer. I especially expect this from a professional company regardless whether they are big or small, independent or not. The name is Admiral Kererek not Admiral Kerekek. As well as sometimes Solanae was spelled right and other times it was spelled Solonae, which is wrong.

Otherwise, I liked the article and had no problem with the way Admiral Kerekek was speaking, after all he was being interviewed for a news segment, so his words were measured and spoken to a Federation audience or translated for those who belong to that part of the Alliance.

I just wish that these blogs were accessible in-game to read since they fill out holes and keep the timeline consistent and ongoing. I had the same problem with the Iconian War blogs. Still wish they were accessible in-game as well.

It would be cool if they could overhaul the Path to 2409 stuff and incorporate this stuff (state of Romulans, Federation, KDF, etc) into Starfleet, Klingon, and if there ever was one for Romulans, a Romulan Academy instead of having to go to Qo'Nos (if KDF) or ESD (if Fed) I have no problem with the premise of using very advanced technology that increased the output of new and updated Romulan ships. I believe we have already seen something about the state of the Federation, I could be wrong though. Not sure about the Klingon Defense Force, though. Thanks for the blog, sirboulevard! Jolan tru. :)
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    First, I wish they had actually done some better editing of that blog post especially the writer. I especially expect this from a professional company regardless whether they are big or small, independent or not. The name is Admiral Kererek not Admiral Kerekek. As well as sometimes Solanae was spelled right and other times it was spelled Solonae, which is wrong.

Otherwise, I liked the article and had no problem with the way Admiral Kerekek was speaking, after all he was being interviewed for a news segment, so his words were measured and spoken to a Federation audience.

I just wish that these blogs were accessible in-game to read since they fill out holes and keep the timeline going on. I had the same problem with the Iconian War blogs.

It would be cool if they could overhaul the Path to 2409 stuff and incorporate this stuff into Starfleet, Klingon, and if there ever was one for Romulans, a Romulan Academy instead of having to go to Qo'Nos (if KDF) or ESD (if Fed) I have no problem with the premise of using very advanced technology that increased the output of new and updated Romulan ships. I believe we have already seen something about the state of the Federation, I could be wrong though. Not sure about the Klingon Defense Force, though. Thanks for the blog, sirboulevard. Jolan tru. :)

They might do an overhaul or change some things up when the Picard show comes out. But we will have to see what changes to the timeline compared to Stos they do. They could make the destruction of Romulus sooner then the Kelvin Comics. Anything is possible on that front. As for them being in game that would be kinda neat if they could do it.
    maybe it's time to stop with the constant skirmishes, brushfires, police actions and outright war for a season or two​​
    Yeah man, lets just let the Tzenkethi go around protomatter bombing entire worlds, or lets just let the Hur'q devastate the galaxy.

You would have a point if we started these things/went looking for them, they came to us, and we had to defend ourselves.
    Cryptic has said they are likely not going to do any new fleet holdings again.

Maybe not at the moment but that could change years later. Or later on. So nothing is off the table when it comes to fleet holdings I think.
    edited August 2019
    Maybe not at the moment but that could change years later. Or later on. So nothing is off the table when it comes to fleet holdings I think.
    No, it was pretty much a "forever" thing.
    http://priorityonepodcast.com/po401/
    Around 46:30
    "I will put a caveat on the fact that fleet holdings are one of our most expensive in terms of dev man hours. One of the most expensive things we can do outside of potentially some of our story episodes, those can get really expensive as well. But fleet holdings touch every single discipline, and they touch every single one of those disciplines in a very significant way. And so I don't know how likely it is that we will ever do another fleet holding to be honest. We.. I think its something that's on the books, but its such an investment that I don't know if we want to invest that much. The game has changed, the playerbase has changed, and the dev team has changed. It may be a product of another time at this point. But, if we don't do another fleet holding we'll figure out another way to have fleets have something that they can invest in over time.

So with that said, I do want to point out that the colony was an experiment in doing basically a second starbase. Up until that point all of the other satellite holdings were just that. They were smaller, satellite, holdings. The dil mine, the embassy, they were like a quarter, or maybe a half of the size of what it took to invest in the starbase. The colony has done some good things for us, its taught us some lessons, I think it's even less likely that if we ever do another holding that it will ever be the size of the colony. So some of your players out there might be cheering over that statement."

Its understandable. Even if they don't do a holding of that size if they do one. Doesn't have to be very big maybe like the other holdings. or maybe adding new outfit unlocks and other stuff for players to unlock.
    Maybe finding some other ways players can convert Fleet marks for Fleet Credits is something I'd like to see them do as well. Since older fleets don't give as many options for doing this. Even newer ones players will fill them up and then you can't use yours to convert fleet marks to fleet credits. Stuff like that I'd like to see overhauled so it would be a lot easier for the players to get fleet credits.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    more ships to do always the same things, well i guess that some players are interested. why we can't play missions where we can help to rebuild the romulan stuff (shipyard, colonies etc)?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    We'd either be doing all the work or admonishing lazy Romulans who aren't doing the work. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Why would Kererek even consider

Kerererererereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek is so grossly incompetent that he ignores warnings from every "expert" his government invites as well as his own engineering team to turn on a dangerous piece of technology "on time" because he can't bear the embarrassment of missing the timetable for safety's sake...... Its pretty obvious imo that he doesn't "consider" much.

Liked the blog, its a nice in universe excuse to explain lazy devs not bothering with warbirds for two frikkin years and how we're still missing a city and updated Mol'Rihan map. Sadly all it did was re-ignite my irritation at these things.

^
    This

was nice to see something that wasn't about the Federation though
  • maphisto86#2647 maphisto86 Member Posts: 32 Arc User

Agreed. As much as I love the "pew pew" epic space battles, why not focus more on going where no one has gone before. Sure have conflict but low level rather than epic confrontations for the ages. A little break from that for some new storytelling would be good.

As for the article, I liked it for the most part. Yeah, there was some typos that should have been caught but overall I like the picture it paints of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants in late 2410. Especially from a Romulan point of view. It would be neat to revisit the remnants of the Romulan Star Empire and mold a story out of the struggle for power there. A conclusion to Sela's story line perhaps? Anyway, all that being said, this article was a nice read.
    edited August 2019
    A conclusion to Sela's story line perhaps?
    Selas story was concluded in Survivor, where she finally realized her mother did love her, and actually accepted her humanity, which was what the whole Sela story was about. She went to jail willingly, and got the information from Data that she wanted.

Unless they find some way to spring her from Prison. I'd imagine she doesn't have much support these days. Given the mess the Empire is in. Plus what she has done personally. What she allowed. What she has done. I'd think she would have gotten a life sentience for her crimes. Anyways Leeta Mirror I think is one loose arc they plan on finishing up. The Picard Show will possibly give us other romulan villains they might do something with. Would like to see more with the Romulans though and maybe a storyline involving their recovery. Following the Iconion war. They did lose the most from it all. But they also are shown to have been able to not just survive but move to thrive through the challenges.
    Would like to see a follow up maybe the trail of Sela they could do something like that. What her punishment was and how long she has to be in prison. Could be something Cryptic could at least do.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    a disappointing end btw. i don't understand why players want playable Borg. when they play FEd, they assimilate already everything.

I personally don't understand how the devs don't see that STO is not a very interesting game to "play". The most interesting parts stop with the borg episode, where you can still play YOUR faction. Then come a lot of weird missions, and the grind begins , the eternal and awful grind. The last interesting episode is the Gamma quadrant episode (i'm a ds9 fan :p )

I don't understand how more and more ships can improve the ingame content, the gaming experience. I don't need ships to move sliders or push buttons. The only ground bz available are not even funny, when you have 20 persons (players + boffs) at the same place.

we need things to do, and I mean: PLAY not moving sliders.

we will see, but i'm not very optimistic.
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    I enjoyed this blog. I would like another with a more in depth view of the division between Imperialists & Tal'Shiar. I imagine the Imperialists are angry at the Tal'Shiar for taking the Iconians side. Also by now everyone must know that they were at fault for Hobus. I assume the Imperialists would have open hostilities against the Tal'Shiar by now.
    A conclusion to Sela's story line perhaps?
    Selas story was concluded in Survivor, where she finally realized her mother did love her, and actually accepted her humanity, which was what the whole Sela story was about. She went to jail willingly, and got the information from Data that she wanted.

Unless they find some way to spring her from Prison. I'd imagine she doesn't have much support these days. Given the mess the Empire is in. Plus what she has done personally. What she allowed. What she has done. I'd think she would have gotten a life sentience for her crimes. Anyways Leeta Mirror I think is one loose arc they plan on finishing up. The Picard Show will possibly give us other romulan villains they might do something with. Would like to see more with the Romulans though and maybe a storyline involving their recovery. Following the Iconion war. They did lose the most from it all. But they also are shown to have been able to not just survive but move to thrive through the challenges.
    Would like to see a follow up maybe the trail of Sela they could do something like that. What her punishment was and how long she has to be in prison. Could be something Cryptic could at least do.

My Imperial Romulan loyalist character would love to spring her from prison. Of course he may be in the minority.
    Mirror Leeta AND Mirror Tilly. ;)
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    So New T6 Dyson ships!?
    edited August 2019
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Why would Kererek even consider

Kerererererereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek is so grossly incompetent that he ignores warnings from every "expert" his government invites as well as his own engineering team to turn on a dangerous piece of technology "on time" because he can't bear the embarrassment of missing the timetable for safety's sake...... Its pretty obvious imo that he doesn't "consider" much.

Liked the blog, its a nice in universe excuse to explain lazy devs not bothering with warbirds for two frikkin years and how we're still missing a city and updated Mol'Rihan map. Sadly all it did was re-ignite my irritation at these things.

^
    This

was nice to see something that wasn't about the Federation though

Well I want to see an update about the general mood of the citizens of the federation not Starfleet itself but whats going on outside starfleet. And I also want to see an update on the state of the Klingon Empire whats going on with the High Council since most of them were killed. I'd like to see whats happening in the Klingon Empire.
    I'd imagine the Federation is big enough that many are not satisfied with how things have been handled. I'd imagine Members are not happy with the inability to defend their worlds for one thing as well as many factors such as the way Starfleet has become militarized how warhawkish Starfleet and the Federation have become. Getting into Conflict after Conflict. Yeah not a good way for your citizens to exactly like you to the point where worlds actually start to defect from the Federation either Joining up with one another and add a Rogue Former Federation Element Or attempting to get into a better deal by attempting to Join the Romulan REpublic or Klingon Empire for the reasons listed. I think there is many federation colonies or member worlds outside of the core members that are very dissatisfied with everything. That one Patrol shows or hints at this dissatisfaction with the Federation where the people of that colony were angry about how the Federation was treating them including having fears about being replaced by Holograms and other stuff like that. I think would be much more common because of all that has happened how it could have been avoided is such a key issue that I'd Imagine many such colonies have had enough of the Federation to start defecting from it. Kinda like what happened with the Maquis. So something like that happening again wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah man, lets just let the Tzenkethi go around protomatter bombing entire worlds, or lets just let the Hur'q devastate the galaxy.

You would have a point if we started these things/went looking for them, they came to us, and we had to defend ourselves.
    Yes, but at the same time, having the Tzenkethi and Hur'q come around was a deliberate story decision. It wasn't a random happening that we suddenly had to gear up for. The story kept harping on how beaten up we were, but then the story continued to throw enemies new enemies at us. Which is fun for pew pew, but really makes the whole 'it's only been 2 years' less and less believable.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    My Imperial Romulan loyalist character would love to spring her from prison. Of course he may be in the minority.

My imperialist Romulans would love to get her out of prison too, so they could give her a proper pistol-to-the-face death like ha'skeevy