New Faction Idea

Comments

• nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    388ddg.jpg
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    IMO - They have enough 'mini-factions'. Given teh amount of extra work and time it involves; I'd rather they just continue with producing content all players can make use of, and not waste time on another mini faction that within 3 months, players will be complaining about lack of 'true' ships for said faction, etc. YMMV.
    Well existed Borg race options are launch era content and the devs have stated they want to revamp them. But they haven't found time to do so yet. The only significant change was in LoR where they added Borg Romulans to the mix. But that was just adding the ability to have Borg with different ears and foreheads.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Speaking of odd ships to fly and new factions, I wish the devs would do something with the First Federation.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Fesarius in an R&D Infinity Promotion and Pilot Ships in a Lockbox. Then they can pay Clint Howard for VOs. No wait that was Ted Cassidy/Walker Edminston (both dead). They'll have to get new Voice Talent to pretend to be Balok. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    My vote is for the First Federation- a ship like the Fesarius,that makes the Enterprise look like a small toy has to be worth it.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    The next faction is almost definitely going to be a tie-in to the ongoing shows. So my guess is Section 31, or something that Picard brings in.
    edited August 2019
    They can release those new ships in the CBS All Access™ Lockbox. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    It’d be funny if ships inspired by the Picard series were all Tier 5 instead of Tier 6, reflecting that they’re from an era just before the game’s launch.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »
    The next faction is almost definitely going to be a tie-in to the ongoing shows. So my guess is Section 31, or something that Picard brings in.

a tie in for who exactly? S31 isn't a faction, its a small group within the federation. as for the rest, picard deals with romulans, federation and borg. the first two are already factions so they're out. that leaves the borg and that isn't going to happen for reasons already gone over many times in previous threads

that aside, this game already has way too many 'factions' as it is, and with each one related content gets lesser and lesser. the dominion faction barely even had anything that would qualify as a tutorial, let alone any actual content, so there was no real point in releasing it in the first place. should have gone with cardassians or forgotten the entire idea. particularly after the nonsensical excuse of 'we don't do the bad guys' only to release a jem'hadar faction that consists of literal killing machines that have no other reason to exist and were confirmed to be nothing more than that in the very episode that they pulled odo's pet jem'hadar out of. even odo flat out admitted kira was right in that he was nothing but a genetically engineered killing machine. funny how that was never brought up in the during the expansion
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    schloopdoo wrote: »
    It’d be funny if ships inspired by the Picard series were all Tier 5 instead of Tier 6, reflecting that they’re from an era just before the game’s launch.
    All ships are available at T6 even from the Enterprise era.

a tie in for who exactly? S31 isn't a faction, its a small group within the federation. as for the rest, picard deals with romulans, federation and borg. the first two are already factions so they're out. that leaves the borg and that isn't going to happen for reasons already gone over many times in previous threads
    "Faction" = origin story. Nothing is "out."
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    schloopdoo wrote: »

The tiers aren't realistic anyway.

A ship like the Prometheus (which was new in the 2370's) has been updated as often as the Avenger (which is from 2409 or so).

So there's no reason why a ship from 2399 has to be a Tier 5 ship. They could just say that a new T6 is an updated version of what would have been a T5 ship that simply doesn't exist in-game...

It's not like the devs have ever let realism stand in the way of deciding which ships get refits, updates or which tiers get assigned to certain ships. So why would that have to happen now with any potential new Picard-ships?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

"Faction" = origin story. Nothing is "out."
    Yep, that's along the lines of what I figured too. Like a Section 31 storyline of some type, then everything going to tribble and being re-integrated into the main Starfleet.

And for Picard, who knows? There might be something worth a mini-faction.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    steinberg wrote: »
    My vote is for the First Federation- a ship like the Fesarius,that makes the Enterprise look like a small toy has to be worth it.
    The ship is actually much smaller then it looked. Its stated size is a mile in diameter, which makes it smaller then a Borg cube.

Originally it could in theory be any size since it was a cluster-ship in the original script. It was clearly described as looking like a fishbowl full of various sized marbles but with no bowl holding it together. It was not a large sphere covered in domes the way the remastered SFX show it (instead of making the ship in CGI they mistakenly recreated the kludgy prop that they had to use in the '60s, another case of the rather iffy research they did for the remastering).

Building it was a problem back in the '60, the lights were too hot to actually put them in something as small as a ping-pong ball without the ball catching on fire so the model builder had to simulate it with a bigger sphere to which cut-in-half ping pong balls were attached and the lights (with a few baffles to break up the lighting a bit) at a safe distance away behind the opaque (and supposed to be invisible to the camera) sphere.

Balok's pilot vessel was likewise described not as launching out of a bay, but rather as the smaller spheres one area rearranging to form it.

The Fesarians would make an excellent faction if done right, and probably very popular judging by all the tiny characters in the game (I have a number of tiny captains myself, along with a boff or two that look like the "Hyde" aliens). Mechanics wise they could also be used to introduce new radiation weapons and kinetic beams to the game, maybe even going so far as to have them reverse the usual pattern and use energy torpedoes along with "rattler" style kinetic beam weapons which would be an interesting change from the usual and could help bring mixed beam/torp ships back into the limelight.

While the Fesarian sphere would probably not be any more viable than the Borg sphere, they have a lot of possibilities with smaller cluster ships like Balok's pilot ship and they are especially good candidates for "mode" ships that reconfigure for different roles like the old Dyson destroyers (and would be something actually visible to other players instead of just uncovering a secondary deflector or a gun port or whatever).

Also, the presence of Tranya in the game as a regular item, (and even some of the throwaway dialog), indicate that the Fesarians do not completely isolate themselves, and the fact that no one has done anything at all with them in the shows beyond that one episode would give the devs a wide open hand in defining them.

The only downside would be that they would have the same problem with position triggered consoles and whatnot that all small aliens have in the game (I have not done "Time and Tide" in a month or so and they may have fixed it in the meantime, but the transporter console in the bigger timeship is a good example of that bug, shorter characters have to jump and hit the "f" key in mid air (or stand on the console in just the right spot) to activate the console).
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    yes let's dilute the exclsuivity of the LTS to satisfy the whiney F2P crowd. Playable Borg is an LTS exclusive, and outside of the Chimera, the only good thing about LTS. I say no to any borg faction
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    If they do a discovery like faction for the picard show. The Picard show isn't going to be a starfleet excusive show. In fact the show is outside of starfleet basically from what I gather most of the time possibly. It will be heavily Romulan, Borg, Liberated Borg Focused. There is two main romulan cast members plus supporting cast members and guest star romulan characters that we will see in the show for sure. There is Three liberated Borg the main focus of course of Picard but also Seven of Nine and Hugh. There is also Mystery Girl, who is called the Destoryer. Hopefully not the Destroyer of Romulus. Whatever she is. Many theories but until the comics, novel or show come out. We won't know exactly whats going to happen. Point is it will be a the first show I think to not have as big a starfleet focus but more of a Romulan Focus. Of course given this show is going to tell the story of the aftermath of the Destruction of Romulus it will have a big Romulan Focus.

If they do a faction based on the show Picard and If they get the big star of the show to appear. Then I think it would be a story personally connected with Picards.
    A picard faction would be given what we know from the show.
    Human
    Romulan
    Liberated Borg.
    Maybe Vulcans
    Or maybe just Romulan maybe cryptic would make the Faction more like the dominion one where its just playable Jem Hadar. But in this case just playable romulans.

Romulan or whoever race they add in. Would start in Picards Vineyards maybe an Attack on the Vineyards. By an Unknown Force. Depending on whether or not whatever happens with Picard in the show as that might happen in the show too.
    Here is how I see it going, If cryptic goes with it.
    I think they will have at least an 8 episode Picard tie in. Maybe without the time travel. Just go years later. Since basically its only like ten years before the timeline of sto. Make it all Holodeck. Like the discovery content. For the other factions to experience.
    If they go with a more personalized story and make the main racial focus be the Romulans . Then having the romulan player of the Picard Faction. Personally work for Picard whatever happens in the storyline causes the player to end up helping D'tan and Joining the Romulan Republic years later. Not far fetched since I think Romulans might be working for Picard in his vineyards on the Picard Show. So having the player being somewhat of Picards protégé. Could make for an interesting storyline. Make it more bitter sweet if it was a Romulan Picard helped save from Hobus. Would make the storyline a bit more personal and unique.
    As the story progresses. Picard's protégé could even help D'tans Cause in other ways before joining up with the Romulan Republic Cause and then sometime later sign up as an officer that sides then with the Federation Since any faction they do has to join federation or kdf do to the coding.

Its up to Cryptic and whatever they decide is best I think they are waiting for More Details possibly the comics/ Novel and of course the Tv show itself before they do anything. The Comics would be a good thing for Cryptic to have access to as that would basically give them the timeline of where the show might be heading into. The Tv show would give them insights on deviations from Sto. Then they can work from there and make it work out. So yeah I think they are waiting to see whats going to happen. Even if there isn't a picard faction there will be Picard content. That is for sure something I think they confirmed anything from the shows that they can use they most likely will use. Even if we have to travel to another reality.
    Given Section 31 is more of a villain faction. Kinda like the Cia without limits. They might not do a Section 31 faction for that reason. But we would maybe see more Section 31 content possibly. Other factions at this point I don't see happening.

Post edited by thevampinator on
  • poseidon#9721 poseidon Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    A comment was made about Borg ships. If STO makes Earth, Qo’Nos, Valcan, and other famous ST worlds in the Beta Quadrant, instead of the Alpha Quadrant like TOS, TNG, and now Disc.makes it clear they are, then banking Borg ships shouldn’t be a problem. I haven’t figured out how to tell which is the front of the ship yet.. A faint glow of red and or white might work.
    'Oh, the humanity' of trying to fly a Borg Cube in one of those old Exploration Clusters. Such a person would be so lost, we would never see them again. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    'Oh, the humanity' of trying to fly a Borg Cube in one of those old Exploration Clusters. Such a person would be so lost, we would never see them again. :)
    But would it be a third dynasty borg cube? :p
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Playable Borgs are already in the game for LTS players, I doubt they would open them up to everyone as a faction over the protest of the lifers.

I can only speak for myself here - as a lifer, I have zero objection to everyone being able to play a Liberated Borg should they want to. Put them in the C-Store alongside other races for all I care. It does not bother me in the least that others can play and enjoy them should they want to. Has no impact on my enjoyment of the game whatsoever.

Not to mention they really aren't all that great to begin with lol.
    Thank you! I've been asking for this for a while. I hope they do this some day.

As far as new factions go, I would love to see Cardassians, with Garak being the narrator and voiceover. I know...I know...It's not going to happen. But, it would've been cool, instead of how the devs chose to handle the Cardassians.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    Playable Borgs are already in the game for LTS players, I doubt they would open them up to everyone as a faction over the protest of the lifers.

I can only speak for myself here - as a lifer, I have zero objection to everyone being able to play a Liberated Borg should they want to. Put them in the C-Store alongside other races for all I care. It does not bother me in the least that others can play and enjoy them should they want to. Has no impact on my enjoyment of the game whatsoever.

As far as new factions go, I would love to see Cardassians, with Garak being the narrator and voiceover. I know...I know...It's not going to happen. But, it would've been cool, instead of how the devs chose to handle the Cardassians.

They could always put them together with the Dominion again. In fact, with a bit of clever writing they could produce a starter scenario revovling around a crisis that makes a modified form of the old alliance necessary that would work for non-horneytoad leveling Dominion characters, Cardassian characters, AND be playable as a normal scenario by everyone else.

The trick is coming up with the right crisis for that since the fungus stuff is probably already plotted out in a different direction, which means it would be at least another year before anything could be done (if they even were to try).
    azrael605 wrote: »
    As a non lifer I oject to giving non lifers any lifer exclusive perks.

Well when they did the cardassions and jem hadar I'm sure they made ships that were lockbox zenstore so if they have to do that they will. When they released both races. So if they had to use liberated borg for a picard faction. They could easily find some other thing to replace them like Cybernetic humans, Cybernetic Klingons and Cybernetic Romulans in Discovery like Style. That is a possibility. Would be a fair trade.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,342 Arc User

They could always put them together with the Dominion again. In fact, with a bit of clever writing they could produce a starter scenario revovling around a crisis that makes a modified form of the old alliance necessary that would work for non-horneytoad leveling Dominion characters, Cardassian characters, AND be playable as a normal scenario by everyone else.

The trick is coming up with the right crisis for that since the fungus stuff is probably already plotted out in a different direction, which means it would be at least another year before anything could be done (if they even were to try).

The Jem'Hadar slaughtered millions of Cardassians.......I very much doubt many would willing 'go over' to the JH faction, even if Odo commands them.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    The only way I could imagine a Cardassian faction that starts off allied with the Dominion working is if they're a Dominion War-era character sent to the future in some way or trapped in a time loop for decades.

I think 2 of the 6 factions being time travellers from the past is already 1 more than we needed, though...
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    Well what I would lik to see them do is make the two federation alternate starts like something like a possible selection option for the dederation faction. Reduce the number of faction icons maybe. Kinda like the launcher were they have dots that tell different news. Do the same and put those under the federation faction so you can switch over to which version you want. That way they only need to show Four Factions. Instead of five or six. So what they would do is have. Federation, Three options at the bottem for which version you want. So the Factions would be Named Starfleet, Romulan Republic, Klingon Defense Force. Dominion Squadron. Those would be the main four factions. Then the optional starts would be placed under the respective factions accordingly.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    But would it be a third dynasty borg cube? :p

lol.. not many get that one
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
This discussion has been closed.