test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Awakening: Beneath the Skin

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
In #STOAwakening, J'ula has returned, and her super weapon has damaged the Mycelial Network. You'll have to resurrect Paul Stamets, played by Anthony Rapp, and venture inside the Network to stop her.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11230263

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Andoria? I wonder if this means the social map will be updated.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    So looking forward to Anthony joining the STO family. From the trailer the Network looks totally amazing. A totally SQUEEEEEEEE moment is to have Anson Mount for a mission or two involving all the Enterprises
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Andoria? I wonder if this means the social map will be updated.

maybe though J'ula's weapon is ship mounted so they could just use the space map for that mission (assuming we ever go to andoria to begin with, it could also be that we find out that Andoria is her next target and race to stop her before she enters the system).
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Interesting, something is going to happen on Andoria. That will certainly be a nice oportunity to show us more of the world and its culture.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yeah, we'll have to walk the entire map to find some special Particles that we'll have to scan and get 100 points to harvest. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Recreating a person as a hologram! Outrageous! I've never heard of something so daft!
    (gets pulled aside and whispered to....Leah Brahms... Geordi.... TNG)
    M'kay, nevermind. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    duasyn wrote: »
    Recreating a person as a hologram! Outrageous! I've never heard of something so daft!

There was also the diagnostic program for the EMH that was modeled after Dr. Zimmerman, and Zimmerman using Bashir to try and create a more long term medical hologram.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • qwe456345qwe456345 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    25 more days
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

There was also the diagnostic program for the EMH that was modeled after Dr. Zimmerman, and Zimmerman using Bashir to try and create a more long term medical hologram.

Also the Voyager episode "Not Human."
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    um the background image he is standing in is of the Mycelial network not andoria.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    tomilak wrote: »
    um the background image he is standing in is of the Mycelial network not andoria.

Don't know exactly what you are getting at but the blog does say ..... Together, your Captain and Stamets will venture into the Mycelial Network itself, to discover the source of Ju’la’s power and put a stop to it. So whatever Ju'la is doing to or on Andoria the source lies within the Network.
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    " Together, your Captain and Stamets will venture into the Mycelial Network itself, to discover the source of Ju’la’s power and put a stop to it."
    But doesn't entering the mycelial network harm the organisms that live there?
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @dariustural said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > duasyn wrote: »
    >
    > Recreating a person as a hologram! Outrageous! I've never heard of something so daft!
    > (gets pulled aside and whispered to....Leah Brahms... Geordi.... TNG)
    > M'kay, nevermind. :D
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There was also the diagnostic program for the EMH that was modeled after Dr. Zimmerman, and Zimmerman using Bashir to try and create a more long term medical hologram.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Also the Voyager episode "Not Human."

Nothing Human actually.

Note to self: get a second set of eyes to proofread your posts before posting. 4 hours sleep always dulls the senses.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

**grabs Duasyn and whispers "Arnold J. Rimmer".* :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    " Together, your Captain and Stamets will venture into the Mycelial Network itself, to discover the source of Ju’la’s power and put a stop to it."

Seem to recall so but it could a case of "lesser of 2 evils", kind of like how surgically removing a cancerous tumor will harm the patient since you'll have to literally cut them open to get to the tumor, but not removing the tumor would kill them so the surgery is the lesser of 2 evils in that case.

So our entering the network would be like the surgery, harmful yes but what ever J'ula is doing is more harmful so what harm we're causing is justified (as long as we try to limit it) since it's needed to prevent even greater harm to the network and organisms living there.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @dariustural said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > duasyn wrote: »
    >
    > Recreating a person as a hologram! Outrageous! I've never heard of something so daft!
    > (gets pulled aside and whispered to....Leah Brahms... Geordi.... TNG)
    > M'kay, nevermind. :D
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There was also the diagnostic program for the EMH that was modeled after Dr. Zimmerman, and Zimmerman using Bashir to try and create a more long term medical hologram.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Also the Voyager episode "Not Human."

Nothing Human actually.

Note to self: get a second set of eyes to proofread your posts before posting. 4 hours sleep always dulls the senses.
    Seems azrael605 could be that second set of eyes. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I loved the scene where Leah meets Holo!Leah. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @dariustural said:
    > Note to self: get a second set of eyes to proofread your posts before posting. 4 hours sleep always dulls the senses.

Nah, you'd be perfect to do the News Blog posts around here. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I loved the scene where Leah meets Holo!Leah. :D

She was wearing real Dynasty era shoulder pads, there. I'm talking Linda Evans shoulder pads. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited August 2019

Oh yeah, that totally didn't go badly at all....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KE0njnZXyY

That said, the whole 'resurrecting people as holograms and they're totally identical to the real person' stuff has always been completely nonsensical. No reason this couldn't have been a mission set in the past like the others, or another simulation, or just find the guy in some old stasis pod or something
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    No reason this couldn't have been a mission set in the past like the others, or another simulation, or just find the guy in some old stasis pod or something

A: people want more 25th Century.
    B: people want more actual 25th Century.
    C: We don't know the fate of Stamets himself, and he was reported to have been killed when Discovery was "destroyed".

Best we can do in the 25th Century is to have a hologram programmed with his personality and knowlege.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    No reason this couldn't have been a mission set in the past like the others, or another simulation, or just find the guy in some old stasis pod or something

A: people want more 25th Century.
    B: people want more actual 25th Century.
    C: We don't know the fate of Stamets himself, and he was reported to have been killed when Discovery was "destroyed".

Best we can do in the 25th Century is to have a hologram programmed with his personality and knowlege.

If thats what they want then they should not be doing updates set in the 23rd century, or they should be involving time travel. Like they did many times before

as for his fate, you're right we don't. and if current info is to believed we won't, as supposedly discovery is staying in the future for the rest of the series run according to the production team. that said, if hes in the future, where exactly are we getting the information from to create such a highly accurate recreation of him as a hologram? you would think such information would be pretty limited, considering he doesn't appear to have been in starfleet for too many years at the point he 'died'

That said, the whole 'resurrecting people as holograms and they're totally identical to the real person' stuff has always been completely nonsensical. No reason this couldn't have been a mission set in the past like the others, or another simulation, or just find the guy in some old stasis pod or something

Well, Arnie did catch a nasty holo virus in that story.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Something from Champions Online this just about covers this -
    https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOP_M7qULK460lASb61PBlOoPXr5fVKEqLxVTTK

Sorry it's not a direct image. :/
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    error: not found :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User

Well, Arnie did catch a nasty holo virus in that story.

"Mr. Fribble's very cross!"
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Star Trek: Discovery just found it's way to my local library, so I've been watching an episode a night... Strange, but I may have to go back and replay some of the STO missions just to see if they make more sense to me now...

This mission and some of the comments above sound like spoilers for right now... I'll have to wait 'til next year to watch season 2...

In the mean time, my main is an Andorian, and she'll be excited to see if there are any changes to any of the maps (space or ground, since there's only one of each)...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
This discussion has been closed.