test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone try the new beam over load?

2»

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    razar2380 wrote: »
    I have a second account that I am using to stream a series on. When I tried using regular Plasma DBBs, BO II will not work on them. BO I does. I haven't been able to test BO III, since I have only just gotten past level 10.

Does anyone have Plasma DBBs and beam arrays that they have tested with BO III? When I say they didn't work with BO II, I mean no beams fired until the 10 seconds was up.

Razar.

Is this a Romulan character? Last one I was leveling had a weird glitch that the wrong beam animation (Na'Kul Plasma IIRC) would play for regular Plasma beams if a firing mode was used. This is the first time I've heard of a standard beam type having the no-firing issue, usually it's specialy animated ones that fire slower or pulses that have been glitching. Hopefully, it'll be fixed with Thursday's patch (since Tribble has fixes for certain beams under BO fixes).
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    I'm enjoying the new BO. It 's like a more universal Surgical Strike ability from Intelligence officers.
    I have a second account that I am using to stream a series on. When I tried using regular Plasma DBBs, BO II will not work on them. BO I does. I haven't been able to test BO III, since I have only just gotten past level 10.

Does anyone have Plasma DBBs and beam arrays that they have tested with BO III? When I say they didn't work with BO II, I mean no beams fired until the 10 seconds was up.

Razar.

I used BO III on my plasma build with a regular DBB and it worked fine. Are you sure your ship was in the proper firing arc for the DBB to fire? Regular beam arrays have a 270 degree firing arc while dual beam banks only have a 90 degree arc. So if the enemy is not within that 90 degree arc, they will not fire.

I know about the fire arcs. I had the ship in my forward arc, and my ship at different distances when I had BO II activated, and it wouldn't fire beams at all. But, only when either no beam skill was active, or with BO I.

I hope this bug gets fixed soon. They finally made BO useful, but it is bugged. Not sure if this is due to lack of proper testing, or what. But I am just glad that they are finally trying to make BO useful again.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »

Razar.

Is this a Romulan character? Last one I was leveling had a weird glitch that the wrong beam animation (Na'Kul Plasma IIRC) would play for regular Plasma beams if a firing mode was used. This is the first time I've heard of a standard beam type having the no-firing issue, usually it's specialy animated ones that fire slower or pulses that have been glitching. Hopefully, it'll be fixed with Thursday's patch (since Tribble has fixes for certain beams under BO fixes).

Federation character. It isn't an animation. The only weapons firing at the turrets on the back when I hit BO II. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the MK of the weapons, or something else.

But I have noticed other bugs that came after last Thursday's patch. If I alt+tab out of the game and back, the game will not fit the screen anymore. I have to completely log out of the game, and back in again for it to fix it. Yesterday, when streaming, I though it was Streamlabs OBS messing up again. But today it did it every time I alt+tab out, and back. No other software running this time except for Firefox.

The other bug, and the most annoying one, is when I switch out some items, they get a 1 hour cooldown. It did this yesterday before trying to do Arena of Sompek. I had to wait 1 hour before I could play, because my ground weapons all had a 1 hour cooldown. Even swapping out wouldn't fix it. Then today, my weapons batteries for my ship had it. And when I just tried to swap from my Antiproton DBB build to my beam array build, 2 beam arrays, and my Particle Emissions torp have a 1 hour cooldown. I can't swap them out for anything, because if I do, the cooldown will spread to the other weapon put into that slot.

I have no idea what happened this time. But this is one of the worst problems I have personally had after a patch.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I just did some runs with BO1 and the difference is amazing. I was running RomPlasma DBB for some plasma damage endeavor, with some polaron beams for polaron damage.

I love the way it works now. My numbers coming up off the ships was much higher than normal. And I barely run 20k dps on a good day. lol.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    The sensor linked disruptors seem a bit hinky with the new BO; they don’t appear to be firing as often as they should.
    Q9BWcdD.png
    edited August 2019
    lopequil wrote: »
    The sensor linked disruptors seem a bit hinky with the new BO; they don’t appear to be firing as often as they should.

BO halves the beam fire rate while giving beams a large damage boost. The Sensor-Linked Disruptors on my ship kept pace with the slowed Terran Task Force Beam Array also equipped under BO.
  • gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    When I first read this thread, I gave BO another try, and was pleased with the results. It gave my Bortasque T6 new life, its been sitting forever collecting dust. BFW and Torp spread are great but they are also aoes, which means threat generation from multiple sources. The changes to BO allows for point to point damage and it does look way better then before. Note using withering disruptors.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    This sounds like it makes beams behave like TNG style Phasers. Will try it out when I get a chance.

Normally the only reason I ever used BO in the past was for single beam weapons on hybrid builds. Typically using a DBB.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Today's update brings fixes to the BO. I just wanna remind you that the Beam Overload will also increase the Weapon Power drain on each beam firing under BO. So overcap your weapon power and you'll be the star of the run.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    I've always had toons that used Beam Overload (never been much of a fan of Fire at Will; although most of my toons used cannons). The difference is notable.

In fact, on one toon where I combined dual heavy cannons with a dual beam bank or an omni-beam in the rear for the visual effects, I actually decided to make his main ship a full beam boat.

In the past I would not do this because I never managed to make my beam toons as powerful as the cannon / cannon-beam combo ones, but now it's a serious option.

So yes, I tried it, and the change means I'm using beams more.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Infected Advanced and someone blew up the Nanite Transformer before the Nanite Generators were destroyed? I wonder if that is someone having figured out how to optimize the new Beam Overload to go beyond expectations, or something unrelated.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Infected Advanced and someone blew up the Nanite Transformer before the Nanite Generators were destroyed? I wonder if that is someone having figured out how to optimize the new Beam Overload to go beyond expectations, or something unrelated.
    Nah, I've seen that happen before the BO change.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    > @warpangel said:
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > Infected Advanced and someone blew up the Nanite Transformer before the Nanite Generators were destroyed? I wonder if that is someone having figured out how to optimize the new Beam Overload to go beyond expectations, or something unrelated.
    >
    >
    >
    > Nah, I've seen that happen before the BO change.

Though it's more common since the change... I saw it once or twice in all the prior time, and now twice in as many days.
    Is there a Accuracy debuff with Beam Overload? I was playing around rank II BO with Covert beams, and was finding I was missing Undine ships in the Dyson Sphere a fair bit, despite having two nodes for acc in Skills and DOMINO fitted. Standard fire and Rank III FAW had no troubles hitting those ships.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Is there a Accuracy debuff with Beam Overload? I was playing around rank II BO with Covert beams, and was finding I was missing Undine ships in the Dyson Sphere a fair bit, despite having two nodes for acc in Skills and DOMINO fitted. Standard fire and Rank III FAW had no troubles hitting those ships.
    I would assume so as the old beam Overload had an Acc debuff and certain versions missed a lot. Rank II from what I remember always missed a lot.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Feels kinda useless to me, as BO doesn't trigger Supremacy. So, you'll need a Leech again.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    it procs on entwined tactical matrixs and since you can keep bfaw up for 20 seconds and the regen is only15 you can keep them up pretty easily without bringing in leech.

Befaw then once the cd ends Beam overload then torpedo spread. Supremacy should never have time to turn off. Unless your build can't handle those three skills its the best way around the situation of supremacy.

worse comes to worse you can always just add redirecting arrays.
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I had been waiting a bit time to pass cause usually a major change comes with bugs initially but probably I will try BO in the weekend. It does sound like it is worth using on some builds now
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    lasonio wrote: »
    it procs on entwined tactical matrixs and since you can keep bfaw up for 20 seconds and the regen is only15 you can keep them up pretty easily without bringing in leech.

Befaw then once the cd ends Beam overload then torpedo spread. Supremacy should never have time to turn off. Unless your build can't handle those three skills its the best way around the situation of supremacy.

worse comes to worse you can always just add redirecting arrays.

Thx. I'll look into this Entwined Tactical Matrices Trait. If the FAW1 it gives, procs Supremacy too, then this might indeed be a good way to deal with things.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Tried the Kelvin Beams and they look pretty sweet with BO. Pulse Phasers are ok, but not as cool.
This discussion has been closed.