test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Panel and Interviews from STLV!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Thanks to Priority One, you can listen to our panel and some developer interviews from STLV right now!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11226963

Comments

• dscklanks#5969 dscklanks Member Posts: 2 New User
    when will klingon players be able to use discovery head options?
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    nice content .hope until then, we can get our rewards. from not auto resolved old event missions!!
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    when will klingon players be able to use discovery head options?

If there was ever a 'Halloween' Event for STO, then the Discovery Klingon Head Options would make for a great Halloween mask :)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    halloween masks aren't 2 inches of solid makeup that takes 3 hours to apply, though​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    This was a great almost 2 hours. It made me enthusiastic for the future of STO.

My only concern since listening to their responses is still about the Space & Ground Specializations deficit with the option of using Random TFOs. I have to disagree with the Cryptic personnel that voiced about it & I fear they sounded like it didn't matter much to them. Having invested the time & resources, 15 points at least, is significant & a waste if not able to be used properly for TFOs. Two ideas: 1) If Random TFOs are so popularly used, as claimed, then slicing it into Space & Ground wouldn't lengthen the wait time that much then. 2) Or perhaps, which I think would function well, just allow in the Specializations to have an additional permanent selection to a total of 3 now, 1 for Ground, 1 for Space, then 1 extra players' choice always active. That would eliminate the deficit of choosing any Random TFO & not having a Specialization ready for use.

Listening to that segment reminded me of a good question I saw the other day in chat. Why isn't there any ground TFO for the Hur'q?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    halloween masks aren't 2 inches of solid makeup that takes 3 hours to apply, though​​

Depends on how much you are into Halloween. Great Halloween costumes can take 3 hours to apply or longer.
    So the Elachi ship will be a Qulash frigate version?
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Some pretty good info here
    -They plan to bring the DQ, Romulan, and possibly some of the old Fed patrols, into the new patrol system
    -Patrols will be accessible through a separate tab on the TFO menu
    -More replayable with more mechanics in them
    -Rewards are about 1/3 that of TFOs
    -They want to get patrols out for each kind of mark, though, for now, they will just reward a choice of marks.
    -New UI for events

DQ? Aww man, now I want a Blizzard.
    DQ_dotcom_about_us_01.png?width=448&height=300
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    i have a big concern about the part with all marks via patrols. i could defnitly see that one doing the same as the introduction for the red alerts back in the days. it will decrease the amount of people playing the random tfos by a good degree.
    one type should reward one thing with the patrols being the way to get x2 xp. that should be enough to make them unique.
    if they should really give a few marks of choice, please exclude the reward from the daily bonus.

so please dont do the same mistake as in the past again.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    What they said was they are looking for ways to tie different Patrols to different Reputations and therefore different Marks. Until they figure out how to do that and have Patrols for each type they are going with Mark Choice Boxes for now.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    What they said was they are looking for ways to tie different Patrols to different Reputations and therefore different Marks. Until they figure out how to do that and have Patrols for each type they are going with Mark Choice Boxes for now.

the quesion is why marks at all, since we have the tfos for that already. its usualy not that great to get everything from 1 option
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    well, most queues already reward jack TRIBBLE without the bonus...so i really don't see how they can reduce jack TRIBBLE to 1/3rd or 1/4th that value​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    1/3 = jac
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    1/3 = jac

So 3/3 = jacjacjac?
    I must be getting old since i don't understand the lingo.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    Well it goes like this:

1/4 to 1/3 of jac sh*t is really really jac sh*t, so therefore by transferance we can assume that 1/3 = jac :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    felisean wrote: »
    the quesion is why marks at all, since we have the tfos for that already. its usualy not that great to get everything from 1 option
    The mark rewards from patrols is about 1/3 to 1/4 that of a TFO, to account for the fact they take about 1/3 to 1/4 the time of a TFO.

Its the same reward rate either way, just another means for those who have gotten burnt out on TFOs, and for those TFOs, like the Competitive ones, that aren't part of the RTFO system.

yes i know that the base reward is pretty low compared to tfos. that was the fact for red alerts back in the days too. but due to the daily reward box, a lot of people got basically all their marks via that route.
    at the end, one of the things happend than was the introduction of rtfos with the removal of the red alerts. and after the introduction of the rtfo system we saw a greatly increased activity in tfos at all.
    my major concern is that the all marks could basically kill the rtfo system again, and i guess that wouldnt be the greatest move at all ;)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The mark rewards from patrols is about 1/3 to 1/4 that of a TFO, to account for the fact they take about 1/3 to 1/4 the time of a TFO.

Its the same reward rate either way, just another means for those who have gotten burnt out on TFOs, and for those TFOs, like the Competitive ones, that aren't part of the RTFO system.

yes i know that the base reward is pretty low compared to tfos. that was the fact for red alerts back in the days too. but due to the daily reward box, a lot of people got basically all their marks via that route.
    at the end, one of the things happend than was the introduction of rtfos with the removal of the red alerts. and after the introduction of the rtfo system we saw a greatly increased activity in tfos at all.
    my major concern is that the all marks could basically kill the rtfo system again, and i guess that wouldnt be the greatest move at all ;)
    Yeah, but what other reason is there to play patrols? Also patrols with marks are old news. Seriously, we're talking LoR old.... Not choice of marks, but marks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Yeah, but what other reason is there to play patrols? Also patrols with marks are old news. Seriously, we're talking LoR old.... Not choice of marks, but marks.

the reason to play patrols should be the double (x2) xp. that include ship xp. so basically the function is to level yourself, your ship etc ;)

the reason to play patrols should be the double (x2) xp. that include ship xp. so basically the function is to level yourself, your ship etc ;)
    This is fine, but it's not really a reason not to have any other reward.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    we will have also ground patrols? or only space?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    we will have also ground patrols? or only space?

As i recall from the P1 podcast, it will eventually be both ground and space. There are however very few ground patrols and those few are very old (as in beginning of the game old) so at first it will be primarily space patrols.

Personally i would like to see some of the old and (almost) abandoned ground TFO to be converted into ground patrols.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

Personally i would like to see some of the old and (almost) abandoned ground TFO to be converted into ground patrols.

:)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited August 2019

the problem is, if you have 2 things giving out the same, usualy 1 of those will not be played anymore. if i could get x2 xp AND all marks from the patrols, what could i get really from tfos other than a bit more marks and the elite tokens (and those could be obtained via marks too). the dil reward is fine, even a all mark reward without getting the daily bonus from it would be fine i guess.
    but what i'm describing is just what we saw in the past with the introduction of all marks to red alerts. and i guess no one want dead queues again due to the same stuff we tried again in the past. and expecting another result for doing the same would be interesting but i highly doubt that it will go well this time ;)

the problem is, if you have 2 things giving out the same, usualy 1 of those will not be played anymore. if i could get x2 xp AND all marks from the patrols, what could i get really from tfos other than a bit more marks and the elite tokens (and those could be obtained via marks too). the dil reward is fine, even a all mark reward without getting the daily bonus from it would be fine i guess.
    but what i'm describing is just what we saw in the past with the introduction of all marks to red alerts. and i guess no one want dead queues again due to the same stuff we tried again in the past. and expecting another result for doing the same would be interesting but i highly doubt that it will go well this time ;)
    We'll see, but it could end up being they make the patrols just not qualify for the daily bonus.

Granted there are some other things where qualifying for the daily makes no sense either but those aren't as grindable.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Well.. the 'patrol retrofitting' news is.. disheartening.

The aspect of the 'old' patrols that I enjoyed most is that they were (while scalable)mostly a solo affair that you could run off and do on your own when you were either unable or unwilling to play with others. I love(d) using the Romulan patrols as a benchmark/proving ground for 'terrible build ideas'(Carraya for point-defense, Beta Thoridor for anti-burst/spike damage, Gamma Eridon for Aceton Assimilator/damage reflect and Warp Plasma countermeasures, etc.).

Between the removal of exploration, foundry, and now the old patrol structure.. it really seems like there is an active initiative to drive away the playerbase who just want to be left to their own devices. While playing with other people is an important part of an MMO, the juxtaposition of things to do both in a group and on your own enriches the experience of both.

(I am biased, as I personally abhor the TFO system. As an analogy, TFOs/Queues are like being stuck in an elevator with 4 other people - everyone is mashing their buttons and you're all trapped with each other until you finally get to the end. It's the reason I STILL haven't finished the Gamma rep, let alone the Disco one. Conversely, I adore randomly running across and helping people in the battle and adventure zones. Player encounters are more meaningful and often more impactful.)
    The Carraya Patrol is good for the Destructible Torpedo Endeavor and Archer for Tholians.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    szerontzur wrote: »
    The aspect of the 'old' patrols that I enjoyed most is that they were (while scalable)mostly a solo affair that you could run off and do on your own when you were either unable or unwilling to play with others. I love(d) using the Romulan patrols as a benchmark/proving ground for 'terrible build ideas'(Carraya for point-defense, Beta Thoridor for anti-burst/spike damage, Gamma Eridon for Aceton Assimilator/damage reflect and Warp Plasma countermeasures, etc.)
    You don't have to do the new patrols with groups, at least they haven't said as much.

Correct, it has been said that these new patrols can be soloable, I think that meant all of them but perhaps it just means the majority.