test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Very serious flaw with the Section 31 Phaser Rifle

warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
I acquired the Disco-era S31 Phaser Rifle pretty early because I had another toon that had 14 or so of the tokens already. So, event mission done.

The rifle is pretty cool, I appreciate the animation of the alternate attack. However, there is a major flaw to it. The alternate attack animation is level only. It doesn't follow the target, if it makes sense. So if the target is above or lower than your character's elevation, the attack will miss as you only fire straight and level.
XzRTofz.gif

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    (topic created in General Discussion)

This should be reported in the bugs subforum. Also, you should say whether or not the other target takes damage, i.e. is this only a problem with the animation or is it also a problem with the DPS.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    this isn't the first time an attack has done this. The execution spinner works like that too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    I moved this to the bugs forum until we hear otherwise that this is intended or not. When you fire the weapon and it does its sweep, is it actually registering as a miss, or is it just the animation making it appear that way?
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • tazurensavulentazurensavulen Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Also, I wonder if it not being eligible for re-engineering and the 20 meter range are bugs or both is WAI, as all other rifle-type weapons have a 30-35 meter primary range and a 30-45 meter secondary range.
    signature_for_kerbal_space_program_by_lord_inu_hanyou-dbhp8de.png
    [06/16 11:51] [Combat (Self)] Your Advanced Dual Heavy Radiant Antiproton Cannons - Hypercharge deals 237970 (113626) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Tactical Cube.
    AHAHAHA! Eat it Borg!
    [09/15 11:01] [Combat (Self)] You lose 12187085 Cold Damage from Death.
    Death is OP, please nerf. I BLAME KURLAND FOR THIS!
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I moved this to the bugs forum until we hear otherwise that this is intended or not. When you fire the weapon and it does its sweep, is it actually registering as a miss, or is it just the animation making it appear that way?

If the target isn't in the straight line arc of fire, it won't hit.

This isn't like all the other ranged weapons. Take for instance Split Beam Rifle, the split beams each hit their own targets. It doesn't matter if the target is a higher or lower elevation, the Split Beam Rifle hits. Same thing with the alternate attack for Sniper File, Wide Beam Pistol, whatever. If your target was higher or lower than you, it'd still hit them.

The S31 rifle just fires straight and level for the alternate attack, no matter what.

Edit: Examples below.
    I'm aiming at those Terrans on the stairs, fire my alt attack, and the beam just hits the stairs for no damage.
    cHR5z75.jpg

The one below, I'm aiming at one of the Terrans at the bottom of the stairs, the alternate attack beam does not hit and it just fires "straight and level."
    ZHLJ0sY.jpg
    Post edited by warmaker001b on
    XzRTofz.gif
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I've tried it on Defera, and the beam does always fire horizontally, but it doesn't do damage to enemies more than a metre or so higher or lower.

Strangely, though, it does trigger other things such as placates or the covert assault drone.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
    I can confirm that bug as well.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.