test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic - 1776 Phoenix Boxes - Zero Epic, please help.

borrisimoxxxborrisimoxxx Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited August 2019 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Cryptic,

I would like you to look into a problem with my character - Sel'Pretorius@Borrisimo

I have opened (thus far), 1776 Phoenix Boxes and I have received zero epic prizes, I consider this to be a bug as I have not yet found any player with the same failure rate and I cannot believe for a second that you would intentionally design the Phoenix System to not give a player the reward they are looking for after 1776 tries, it is simply unthinkable.

Perhaps it is a bug with how fast I was opening so many boxes in a short space of time, or perhaps the something to do with this being a relatively new character, i don't know but what i do know is that something just isn't right here, it can't be this hard to obtain an item that the entire player base got essentially for free during an event which was account-wide but is now character specific with this box.

I don't mind a bit of RNG Luck here and there but there has to be a limit and some common sense and in this situation, that limit has been far surpassed, nothing should take 1776+ tries to obtain in any game.

If it turns out that this is "Working as Intended" then that will truly be the end of the game for me as it's just not worth putting in so many hours for zero reward so i very much hope you do find a bug with my character and I either wake up with the Epic Prize Pack in my inventory which I have very much earned or my boxes/dilithium have been refunded so I can try again with the bug removed.

Thank You

Borrisimo

Post edited by borrisimoxxx on

Comments

• foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    I just opened 1360 (One thousand, three hundred and sixty) Phoenix boxes and i got ZERO Epic Prize Tokens, this has to be a bug, there is no RNG in any game on earth that is this bad it just doesn't happen.

So please for the love of god, look into my character and fix whatever problem exists and give me atleast one Epic Prize Token.

Sel'Pretorius@Borrisimo

Thank You!

Thats not how odds work. You are extremely unlucky, but are not gauranteed a epic token after "X" amount. Also, "demanding" you get given a epic token? Wow, entitled much?

For the record, epic tokens do exist, as I had gotten one in my career (about 1000 boxes over 2 years).
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    i would suggest buy up all those greens and blues into boxes again but with your luck ...

unknown.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    OP is just unlucky. Not a bug. I got 4 epics and 9 UR's over the years from a couple of thousand boxes.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Yeah, the only thing I expect when collecting them is turning boxes in for Phoenix Upgrades.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I just opened 1360 (One thousand, three hundred and sixty) Phoenix boxes and i got ZERO Epic Prize Tokens, this has to be a bug, there is no RNG in any game on earth that is this bad it just doesn't happen.

So please for the love of god, look into my character and fix whatever problem exists and give me atleast one Epic Prize Token.

Sel'Pretorius@Borrisimo

Thank You!

edit: 1480 boxes.. zero epic
    edit: 1575 boxes.. zero epic
    edit: 1670 boxes.. zero epic, seriously.... why do I bother with this game

Only because of the upgrade tokens is the Phoenix gambling bearable. All the other STO gambling should be abandoned & remember that's gambling mostly with real money with these type of odds or worse lol. Your example here is why I wish Cryptic would create a progressive algorithm for their gambling so eventually a player would win after so much losing if not lucky.

There was a problem that Cryptic had awhile back with Promo packs that if opened in succession too quickly I think they stopped rewarding lobi. Supposedly, Cryptic fixed it & helped the players that were affected by it. Your unfortunate example right here though is why I stopped gambling in STO, but I admit I still gamble on the Phoenix for the upgrades.
  • borrisimoxxxborrisimoxxx Member Posts: 19 Arc User

Sel'Pretorius@Borrisimo

Thank You!

edit: 1480 boxes.. zero epic
    edit: 1575 boxes.. zero epic
    edit: 1670 boxes.. zero epic, seriously.... why do I bother with this game

Only because of the upgrade tokens is the Phoenix gambling bearable. All the other STO gambling should be abandoned & remember that's gambling mostly with real money with these type of odds or worse lol. Your example here is why I wish Cryptic would create a progressive algorithm for their gambling so eventually a player would win after so much losing if not lucky.

There was a problem that Cryptic had awhile back with Promo packs that if opened in succession too quickly I think they stopped rewarding lobi. Supposedly, Cryptic fixed it & helped the players that were affected by it. Your unfortunate example right here though is why I stopped gambling in STO, but I admit I still gamble on the Phoenix for the upgrades.

Well that is interesting, i did open these boxes as fast as humanly possible just double click spamming as I had so many too open, in general I am just in utter disbelief and disgust at how difficult it appears to be to obtain a single-character item that everyone got essentially for free and was account wide during the event,so far I have not found anyone else who was unable to get one epic token after as many boxes as me which very much makes me think there is a bug here, there is just no way that after 6 million dilithium that I cannot get one single little item, its not like these are uber-lockbox-12-console ships and all i want is the console, the ships will get deleted after anyway.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Yeah I have opened quite a few of these with no epics...or hell even UR. In nearly 1k boxes. Open them for the upgrades and nothing else.

Same here, I only open for upgrades. Prior to today, I had received one Epic in about 1500 boxes. Today, I opened a stack of 40 and got 2 Epics.

It's just dumb luck man.

I wish I could sell the Epics since I don't have any use for them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Prior to today, I had received one Epic in about 1500 boxes. Today, I opened a stack of 40 and got 2 Epics.

It's just dumb luck man.

It truly is just dumb luck. I had won 4 epics over a couple of thousand boxes opened over the last couple of years. Today, just now in fact, I open 40 boxes and 1 of them is an epic. I also wish I could sell mine because I already have every single event ship.

908u9Tq.png
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    just turn them into 16 upgrades, or keep them for bragging rights - all you can do​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    just turn them into 16 upgrades, or keep them for bragging rights - all you can do​​

I turned them into VR tokens and got admiralty ships for a couple alts. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I'd keep any epics JUST in case I had to miss an event entirely. I mean not likely...but you never know.

Yeah that would be my suggestion as well. While it would only unlock the ship on one character, at least you could get it :). Though you would have to wait a year when the current "unlock" lockout period.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Yeah I have opened quite a few of these with no epics...or hell even UR. In nearly 1k boxes. Open them for the upgrades and nothing else.
    I'd keep any epics JUST in case I had to miss an event entirely. I mean not likely...but you never know.

Both very smart ideas & suggestions imo.
  • borrisimoxxxborrisimoxxx Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    upto 1770 boxes now, tried buying single boxes instead of 10pack and opening very slowly, no difference.

Come on Cryptic, really need a response on this madness its just getting stupid now..
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    this game is just a huge lottery, and in fact you don't win but this is cryptic who loses; so don't hope to win often. Even with a 100% chance of having something, you have in reality the same proc as the weapon 2.5% chance.

yesterday, I had my first epic token since I open this boxes (first time since the launch of this box), so everything can happen, the patience is necessary to "play" at this game.

i open these boxes for the upgrades, so I'm not disapointed. I'm rather disgusted by the upgrade system.
    this game is just a huge lottery, and in fact you don't win but this is cryptic who loses; so don't hope to win often. Even with a 100% chance of having something, you have in reality the same proc as the weapon 2.5% chance.

yesterday, I had my first epic token since I open this boxes (first time since the launch of this box), so everything can happen, the patience is necessary to "play" at this game.

i open these boxes for the upgrades, so I'm not disapointed. I'm rather disgusted by the upgrade system.

I'm sorry...but I play a game where the chances of getting the best item in the game starts off at something like .35% and if you fail, you lose basically 6+ months of progress. If you failed over 100 times, the game is nice and increases that percentage to a whole 3%...but you still lose those months of progress on a fail. I believe it caps out at 7.5% at 244 failures. This game is not a lottery. Play some Asian games...now those are lotteries.

Yeah, play some Asian MMO's or gacha games, and you will learn something about long odds :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • mjolldirmjolldir Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    I got 1 epic from the free one you get on Drozana on the first day of the event, and i also got lik 4 epic and 6 ur so far from around 3500 boxes. Epic was always hard to get, so dont buy the phoenix boxes for that, ships are just a bonus, do as others have said in this post buy em for the upgrades, this way you'll always win.
    Other than that LB and promo boxes are made so you have a very low chance to get anything, and there is no guarantee you'll get something in 100,200 or 300 boxes, so even if you buy those you need to be prepared for the worse case scenario, i buy those only when i need Lobi, for the rest is cheaper to buy on exchange.
    IMG_260543.jpg
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    not a bug but working as intended. boxes are purely RNG based. One person could open those same 1776 boxes and get multiple ultra and epic tokens where as another person could get nothing above a rare. As much as it sucks, simply because an epic or ultra did not drop does not mean it is a bug. /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.