test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Client Quit Unexpectedly

"Unable to start game: client quit unexpectedly"

This is what my Cryptic Launcher tells me tonight when I press ENGAGE. I ran a Force Verify just in case. Though nothing changed.
(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)

Comments

• chernobogxchernobogx Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I've been getting "Unable to start game client: The system cannot find the file specified" for 5 days now. Force Verify, Repair Arc Tool and reinstalling Arc didn't help. Their support page has been saying they are investigating "Intermittent Connection Issues" for several days now.
  • eshauber#6662 eshauber Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Same problem, I want answers. I think they owe all the premium members some points or some dilithium or something for saying sorry.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Sadly this behavior continues tonight for me. "Unable to start game client: The system cannot find the file specified".
    I have a ticket in with them. I gave them the console readout from the crash so hopefully they will have an answer soon. I knew it couldn't just be my PC, it worked fine after the patch on Thursday and then the problem started Friday night.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    Last night, I got stuck in the DS9 loading screen until the new Cryptic Crash Reporter for the now-default 64-bit version started up. That was different to see but before that I had to let it through the firewall, so you would have to let it through the anti-virus or firewall that you use, then you should be ok after trying again. After that experience, it was working fine. Though the above definitely did not happen to me it was different. Hope everyone's problem gets resolved in a patch. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    I'm pleased to report that I am back into Holodeck and Tribble this evening. How do the rest of you fair?
    edited August 2019
    Um, that problem I previously reported? It's back. I hope I don't have to wait until next patch day to get back into the game? This is getting kinda old.

EDITED to add the following from a Debug folder in my game folders. Dated for today:
    [0813/231115:INFO:CONSOLE(0)] "Uncaught ReferenceError: LauncherAPI is not defined," source: about:blank(1)
    [0813/231121:INFO:CONSOLE(0)] "Select shard: 0," source: http://launcher.startrekonline.com/static/all/js/api.js(157)
    [0817/211906:INFO:CONSOLE(0)] "Uncaught ReferenceError: LauncherAPI is not defined," source: about:blank(1)
    [0817/211915:INFO:CONSOLE(0)] "Select shard: 0," source: http://launcher.startrekonline.com/static/all/js/api.js(157)
    [0817/213529:INFO:CONSOLE(0)] "Uncaught ReferenceError: LauncherAPI is not defined," source: about:blank(1)
    [0817/213533:INFO:CONSOLE(0)] "Select shard: 0," source: http://launcher.startrekonline.com/static/all/js/api.js(157)
    Post edited by psiameese on
    This issue remains unresolved at this time. I submitted ticket #190819-000922.
    I've now gotten "Unable to start game client: The system cannot find the file specified." every week on patch day. This week, nothing is working to get me back in. Customer service blamed my isp which is ridiculous.
    I did get a similar response. If Cryptics STO server has more than one IP access, I suppose it's possible one might be blocked by an ISP? I say possible, as I haven't had access to the shard for almost a week. I share home ISP and router with two roommates. Who were able to get into the game at the same moment that I still couldn't.

Yet last night and right now, I am actually in the game. Whatever ails the connection is not at all consistent. Just very frustrating.