test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nova class: the Ship the Game Forgot

Comments

• reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,377 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    They did not forget about it. We'll see next year.

To be fair "forget" isn't the most accurate term - it was more a case that a thred title like "T6 Nova, the ship the Devs don't care about" would probably have either gotten the thread locked or would have been edited by a mod anyway.

• stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    Someone said that the Kelvin-class <- is this the single nacelle ship from the reboot movie? The one Kirk's father shoved down Nero's Mining vessel?
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    A676yRjoJWxSZGn-JwY_N9yK7xRyDd6uuOg6BwXwlHY.jpg?auto=webp&s=c8fe50175b8d4955d98a116b78fb59b6697b10a9

HELL YEAH! F*** the Nova class, I am down with the this ship - As much as I hate the reboot movies, their ship designs are awesome. :D
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    stark2k wrote: »
    A676yRjoJWxSZGn-JwY_N9yK7xRyDd6uuOg6BwXwlHY.jpg?auto=webp&s=c8fe50175b8d4955d98a116b78fb59b6697b10a9

HELL YEAH! F*** the Nova class, I am down with the this ship - As much as I hate the reboot movies, their ship designs are awesome. :D

Matt Jefferies is rolling over in his grave right now.

He designed ships logically and with purpose (you know, because he was a real life engineer).

That abomination pictured above was the result of, "We want a starfleet ship, but it has to be cutting edge different" CG artist - "Okay, give me a 100 grand and I'll get right to work on it. Boy, this is gonna be hard" Goes home... "Let's see, If I just remove an engine off the Enterprise and the stick the remaining one to the saucer..." " Nah, not cutting edge enough" "What if I flip it upside down? YEAH! THAT's PERFECT! A little clean up detail and no one will ever know. Time to pop a beer and start the weekend!"

Freakin' hacks living off the work of legends...
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,764 Arc User

Looks pretty good to me. I'd buy it.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,130 Arc User

Yes, though the INSIDE was a JOKE.....pipes, valve wheels, cinderblock walks....UGH.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 2,869 Arc User
    Wasn't there originally a TOS version of that ship but with the nacelle on the top and the hull/deflector on the bottom?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,620 Arc User

He designed ships logically and with purpose (you know, because he was a real life engineer).

That abomination pictured above was the result of, "We want a starfleet ship, but it has to be cutting edge different" CG artist - "Okay, give me a 100 grand and I'll get right to work on it. Boy, this is gonna be hard" Goes home... "Let's see, If I just remove an engine off the Enterprise and the stick the remaining one to the saucer..." " Nah, not cutting edge enough" "What if I flip it upside down? YEAH! THAT's PERFECT! A little clean up detail and no one will ever know. Time to pop a beer and start the weekend!"

True, though to be fair Paramount (the old Paramount, not the current company with that name) pretty much eliminated all of the design requirements that TOS set having to do with balance. In TOS the impulse engines were mainly for emergencies (Kirk actually goes into that a little bit in "Where No Man Has Gone Before") and were relatively simple matter/antimatter rockets that burned the same fuel as the warp drives but in a mostly foolproof way compared to the former (though much slower and inefficient) as long as the batteries powering the magnetic bottles held out. That meant that the ships had to be balanced so the very dense, heavy nacelles were not much above the thrust ports, while the relatively light and hollow secondary hull was quite a ways off center as a counterbalance.

Then, the producers of TNG wanted to use the impulse engines a lot more (remember, in TOS they would break orbit in warp, not impulse, and enter orbit the same way) and not have to worry about the gamma ray exhaust damaging planets they move away from on impulse so they changed it to a field effect "gravity impulse" which as a side effect eliminated the need for balancing the ships even if they continued to use real engineers like Jefferies instead of non-technical artists to design the ships.

TOS itself had a dose of the "rule of cool" problematic design as well. Jefferies was not the one who was supposed to design the bridge, they had a non-engineer artist do that until the set-building manager came in and dropped a file on Jefferies desk that had HOW THE HELL DO WE BUILD THIS?!!!! scrawled across it. Inside were drawings of a very large oblate spheroid bridge with the stations on and outer platform ring and a circular center one with the captain's chair and helm/nave stations, and the control chairs all looked like they were extruded from the deck (including the captain's chair, it was just bigger and fancier than the others instead of the familiar squarish one). There was not a single straight line in the whole thing and the sets were all supposed to be built with lumber, not metal or fiberglass that would be able to form the shapes in the drawings.

Jefferies, instead of sending the stuff back to the artist to try again, adapted the design himself to something that could be built with wood and went so far as to make cardboard mockups of it to make sure all the controls could be reached and the screens were in comfortable positions for viewing.
    edited August 2019

Indifferent about it, personally. I don't particuarly dislike it, but it really isn't anything special. I mean, it's basically a saucer with a fat nacelle bolted to it's lower half and a reworked Constitution class primary hull bolted to the top.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,292 Arc User
    If a canon ship is in game at a lower Tier, was used in Episode cutscenes, has an Epic Admiralty Card about it, it will definitely get the T6 treatment.

Like the old statement, 'Next Year in Jerusalem!!', we say 'Next Year in a T6 Nova!!' :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Ambassador Kael referenced the T6 nova during the STLV panel discussion saying "we know"

He was trolling, he wanted to get peoples hopes up and then disappoint to make us cry as he lives on the tears of our sadness.

lol

Only joking Kael's a good bloke. Hopefully a T6 Nova next year
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    edited August 2019
    Yeeeah...... still not going to get my hopes up or read too much into that.

"We know" is an incredibly ambiguous response. As have evidenced throughout this thread, there've been a fair few instances of false hope and 'acknowledgements' that led to nothing over the past five years. So you'll forgive me if I say that I, pesonally, don't think "we know" carries much weight.
    Hopefully a T6 Nova next year

"Hopefully a T6 Nova next year" - wishful thinking since 2014.

avoozuul wrote: »
    Wasn't there originally a TOS version of that ship but with the nacelle on the top and the hull/deflector on the bottom?

You mean this one?
    JscbwcE.jpg

:)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Ahem

I am left looking something else instead the ship :p
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 35,845 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    avoozuul wrote: »

probably; i know there was also one with nacelles on the top and bottom - the akula class frigate​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

blacklivesmatter.png

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

"Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Yes, that was from the original Star Trek Blueprints. The Saladin/Hermes Destroyer/Scout Ship.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yes, that was from the original Star Trek Blueprints. The Saladin/Hermes Destroyer/Scout Ship.

The Saladin had the nacelle on the bottom, not the top. On the other hand, the Larson-class from FASA has the nacelle on the top:

latest?cb=20080417060156
    https://images.app.goo.gl/bPH9d4Yf44ZGP75b6

Is the one I am referring to from the original Franz Joseph Blueprints contemporary with the original series.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Ahem

Virtual me seems to do that. XD
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Ahem

Virtual me seems to do that. XD

Looks awesome really but I dont want to derail the thread people made for missing a certain ship - but is it from some 3D program? looks a quite detailed screen, especially on the vitual you
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,036 Community Moderator
    Ok, these comments are starting to sound creepy. Stop derailing the thread.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    "Hopefully a T6 Nova next year" - wishful thinking since 2014.
    Well, Cryptic eventually released a T6 Vor'cha, even though many Klingon Players thought it was a pipe dream.

The Nova is in the same boat as a Vo'Quv, in my opinion. A niche vessel with it's fans asking for an update.

I would not give up hope. Vocal fans got Cryptic to "adjust" the advanced weapons on the R&D ships. Vocal fans got Cryptic to "update" the flight deck cruisers. "Never forget the Nova. Never forget the Vo'Quv.". Cryptic listens to the vocal players. Continue being vocal. These ships will come.

It's clear that vocal players do influence decisions at Cryptic. I'm thinking of starting a thread asking for an alternate BOff layout for the Resolute. If it gets enough traction, maybe something will change. I was hoping for an Ens or Lt Universal station, maybe change Command to Pilot spec, a Trait that actually synergizes with the ship it comes with.
    How big is the Kelvin gonna be?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    How big is the Kelvin gonna be?

How big would you like it ?

Some sites say she is roughly about 450m in length.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    In light of the new reveals, how likely are we to expect a Tier 6 version of the Nova. I necessarily do not like the ship, but a ship pack version of it might be nice, either include 2 other ships from rom and klink faction or two variants catering to engineers and tactical officers. Hard to believe that the Nova was simply slated as just a short range science vessel, it could have been modified for other functions, such as tactical etc...

I still believe the Tier 3 and the Tier 5/fleet variant are sufficient for the ship - but Trek fans will always be Trek fans and would love their favorite ships getting the treatment. As stated before I am not a huge fan of it, especially a science vessel - No offense to sci captains out there.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    In light of the new reveals, how likely are we to expect a Tier 6 version of the Nova. I necessarily do not like the ship, but a ship pack version of it might be nice, either include 2 other ships from rom and klink faction or two variants catering to engineers and tactical officers. Hard to believe that the Nova was simply slated as just a short range science vessel, it could have been modified for other functions, such as tactical etc...

I still believe the Tier 3 and the Tier 5/fleet variant are sufficient for the ship - but Trek fans will always be Trek fans and would love their favorite ships getting the treatment. As stated before I am not a huge fan of it, especially a science vessel - No offense to sci captains out there.

Thing is, people tend to forget that the USS Rhode Island was a modified Nova class. Furthermore, it was a ship that was clearly stated (in episode dialouge) to have been on at least one four-year exploration mission, and was set to embark on another.
    She also engaged in combat against two Klingon Negh'Var warships so could clearly hold her own in terms of tactical engagements.

I also rarely fly Federation ships, having only one TOS toon and among my 6 toons one Sci but, remaking old versions of popular lower tier ships on all factions is a CHEAPER way for cryptic to add new ships to the game. They only need to do adjustments and a minor redesing plus add a console and a tier 5 trait. It should be a lot faster than designing a ship from scratch. Basically they could do a season where they upgrade old favorites which is LESS work and such having more time on their hands to design other things too for episodes and such while keeping everyone happier too.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The past is not holy. The past is not perfect. Trek is no different than any other TV/Film franchise and never has been. Gene's "vision" was exactly the same as Chocrane's (FC writers based him on Gene) money, women, fun in the sun, nothing nobler. There are no special rules that only apply to Trek and never will be.

I love the whole franchise, and I have complaints about the entire franchise, just like any other franchise I am a fan of.

I can't recall who said it now, but someone here hit the nail on the head with this comment:
    But that’s how the the franchise is his now. It's the same toxic ownership that Star Wars fanbois seem to have doubled down on. If they have a nostalgic attachment to something it is immutable and holy and any attempt by the people who actually own that piece of entertainment to add or subtract to their own property is treated as a direct assault on all personal copies and memories held by the fanbois.

Anyway, I digress.

I don't think we'll be seeing it any time soon.

This discussion has been closed.